Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Was hoping he'd at least bring up the poo poo filled Ganges when toilet talk came up, the GBS threads on poo poo filled India were pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rougey posted:

In all honestly the casually racist remark is spot on. The amount of times I've been hanging out with people who are seemingly awesome until BOOM! offhanded massively racist comment, is sickening.

I clearly remember as a kid the first time I really noticed “people being different”. Going through the public school system ‘round Parramatta way you wind up with a hodge podge of backgrounds - when Kindy started we had couple of kids who barely spoke English but by the end of the year everyone was nattering away in the same semi-broad accent.

The first time I really noticed people being different was when my family went down to The Shire for a wedding. We went into Miranda Westfield to pick up a card and the whole time something just felt… wrong. Finally it dawned on ten year old me - I’d never seen so many white people in my life.

I’m Scottish.

My life was pretty similar, primary school in Parramatta was exactly like that and then I moved to Queensland and :stare:

Woden
May 6, 2006
He could have at least beat down 2 Pinatas to make the title accurate.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That episode seemed all over the place, worse than the drone episode where he just threw as much random bad things to say about the drone program without really tying it all together.

Like why are contractor loopholes any different than just setting up a LLC other than avoiding the bad PR?
That company that leaked more oil 5 months after the first leak somehow didn't have to pay again but Oliver didn't give any details as to why.
Some farmers had salinated land, but that was totally brushed over and no details given at all, like is it ok for miners to just destroy someone else's farmland in Dakota and not have to pay a cent?

I don't live in the US so maybe I'm missing some obvious things but this episode just seemed to be about throwing as much poo poo at mining in South Dakota as it could in the allocated time rather than building a case for why it's bad. At least with the drone episode there was the underlying human element about kids being afraid of the skies, this was just a grab bag of random bad things about mining in South Dakota with a lot of those bad things not even really being explained.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That was a really good segment that got everything right, went into some decent details without confusing people too much and stayed on point. Easily the best bit I've seen on it.

Krinkle posted:

Wouldn't you need to unlock the phone to install an upgrade to the phone I don't get this.

You put it in DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode and can then put any Apple signed code onto it via itunes. It's for fixing broken poo poo like Windows recovery mode but the FBI is pushing Apple to allow them to put in code that circumvents a layer of Apples security.

Edit: The amusing thing with this for me is that we keep hearing talk about whether or not this is a backdoor, as an outsider though the All Writs Act seems like it's being used as a backdoor to the constitution.

Woden fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 15, 2016

Woden
May 6, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They have a governing body which oversees their impartiality, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Trust

The ABC in Australia has a similar body:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Board

Also the ABC not only takes great glee in reporting on governmental fuckups whenevethey can but they also report on their own fuckups - they have a show called Media Watch which highlights lovely journalism and it absolutely does not hold back in pointing out the ABC's fuckups.

Edit: they also get reviewed fairly often and they have pretty robust complaints procedures where people can bitch about stories being unfair or unbalanced

Speaking of Media Watch they've had some pretty great coverage of the death of journalism recently. Had a different angle from Oliver too going into how the ad money is still there just that Google/Facebook/etc. take it all with their data mining instead news companies ads did in the past among other things.

Woden
May 6, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Samantha Bee's show is incredible as well.

Yeah it's the best of the ex Daily Show shows.

Woden
May 6, 2006

IRQ posted:

She annoyed me at times when she was extremely anti-Bernie Sanders seemingly for the sole reason of Hillary having lady parts, but overall she's fine. So if that was it give her another shot.

The episode that really stood out for me was the post Florida nightclub shooting one, that episode was amazing for the righteous anger it had and I'd put it up there with the best Stewart TDS episodes. If anything watch that episode and then maybe go from there if you dig it, I don't always agree with her opinions but love the conviction of it.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

He used to have more jokes in his repertoire. Not only is this not funny, I'd hesitate to even call it a joke. One thing that struck me in his standup, his time at The Daily Show, and even the beginning of Last Week Tonight was that he was very funny, and I thought he earned his own show with his own hosting stint on TDS. I never listened to The Bugle, but I hear that he was very funny there too. Today, though, he's degraded himself to Family Guy humor as the only way to lighten things up. It's embarrassing. He can and should be much better.

Agreed, this show used to be hilarious but now there's too many unfunny jokes and him mugging up to the camera is getting annoying. It's only really an issue with the long segments though, the rest I don't have any problems with.

Woden
May 6, 2006
He should just ignore the votes and put a turd on the dog court.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gyges posted:

When you take into account the tariffs and restrictions on US agricultural and industrial output as well as tying a block that accounts for 40% of world trade into a US friendly treaty, killing it was bad economically for the US. Plus the limited but real worker and environmental protections pushed the overall deal into ok territory.

TPP was only good for corporations and US hegemony, everything else suffered.

As for tariffs on US ag. and industrial output how much of that changed over previous trade deals? For Australia I know we have no tariffs on US imports, the US has a heap of them though and none changing with the TPP.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Media Lab looks like a fun show, deffo going to check it out.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Etherium has been planning to move from that style, Proof of Work(POW) to Proof of Stake(POS). POS guarantees a certain amount coins for you mine based on how much you lock up as your stake and isn't resource intensive at all.

Going into the power usage of cryptos could just make his segment look way out of touch in a few years, something he seemed super worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
That ending song was better than the one they use in the intro.

• Locked thread