Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

PyBlock is so masochistic that it somehow wraps around to being funny. I finally unlocked automation after 8 hours.

I swear that if someone made a mod where the only change from vanilla was that all burner/electric miners were locked behind Space science, someone, somewhere, would take a crack at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cimber posted:

Being annoyed by my game with what I personally think of as useless complexity for the point of being 'complex' isn't my idea of fun. Not having splitters or miners means I just have to deal with more crap manually, when the whole point of the game is to automate as much as possible.

I mean, you can make poo poo complex if you want, that's fine, but regardless of how complicated your mod makes building more advanced stuff, if you're gating the absolute basics of automation (belts, splitters, underground belts, inserters, miners, assemblers, and basic power generation) behind a bunch of bullshit where it takes 10 hours before you can automate production of all of them then you're an rear end in a top hat who's missing the point of the game you're modding.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah it's a good thing frankly. If Factorio's Dev team was of the same mindset as the modders who turn it into masochiam simulator 2020: timesink edition, it would have rightfully never gotten off the ground.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That being said, if you use a simple pump to storage connection to determine when you run the next level of cracking ratios become less important and you can just put down a ton of Chem plants to overservice each step. Sometimes having cracking capacity higher than the ratio suggested by you number of refineries is useful in regards to a sudden spike in demand for one type of oil or another if you have a lot stored.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

diremonk posted:

Decided to inflict some pain on myself and start a Angel/Bob funthrough and do it blind because apparently I hate myself. Getting some nice spaghetti layouts 15 or so hours in. About every 5 minutes I say, what do I need to do next and then it's just a bunch of cursing as I see what I need to build, then what I need to build that, then what I need to build that, etc. Makes me long for the simpler times of K2

I assume from what I've heard of these mods that what you've created here is in support of one of the 5 components required to automate yellow conveyers.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
New mod idea: recipes are randomised at the beginning of every play session using RNG that triggers on loading a save

Someone would play it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This is about a million times more interesting than seeing someone's optimised 1 rocked per second megabase and I will be very sad if anybody tries to teach them the 'right' way to do things

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

well why not posted:

are you loving serious

https://youtu.be/mgfwwqwxdxY

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So this is basically Uranium Processing except applied to every component and even more dependent on dice rolls.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So if I want to craft a Q5 armour does that mean that if I have all of the engredients for it at Q5 I will automatically get it? Or do I need all of the ingredients at Q5 and then if I use a machine with 4 L3 Quality modules in it I can then have a 10% chance of constructing a Q5 armour?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So if quality maxes at +150% and a full set of quality 3 modules grants 10% upgrade chance, then does that mean you can fill a machine with legendary Q3s for 25%? Because then I can see the metagame swiftly becoming to get a stable source of Q3 Legendaries up as your first foray into touching quality at all, and only then using it in construction of other items.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Paper Tiger posted:

Some neat stuff in this week's FFF:

• They address some of the commentary on last week's quality stuff; among other things, they do mention that they're not 100% attached to the legendary/epic/etc. names for the tiers (lol)
  • Some research will now be completed through trigger actions, rather than by processing science packs. For example, you may unlock oil processing by mining oil, or unlock steam power by crafting a certain number of iron plates. In connection with this, they'll be moving some of the recipes that were previously unlocked from the start (ex. electric miners) behind some low production thresholds, to make progression more organic.
  • The research queue will always be on, no more playing for a few hours and then finding out you forgot to enable it before you started the game.
  • Similar to the infinite mining productivity researches, they'll be adding infinite productivity researches for other crafting recipes like steel and rocket control units

Of all things, the second one is probably the most impactful to me. They mention it in the post, but one of the issues that change will address is where your research outpaces your factory, and you end up having a lot of recipes/capabilities that you can't even use yet.

The way to fix that problem is really really simple:

New recipes unlock once you've constructed each of its required ingredients in an assembler/other machine, thereby demonstrating the capacity to automate its production.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

zedprime posted:

engorged base syndrome

Help! I'm trying to get off the planet but my base is so dummy thicc the pollution of my assemblers keeps alerting the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is there any mod in this game that replaces the train system entirely? Say with a drone shipping system a la Dyson sphere program? The only thing that stops me from playing this more is the complete brick wall I encounter whenever I try to wrap my head around the rail system.