Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I appreciate that in modern Marvel comics, they are willing to engage in situations that can be adequately summarized as follows:

"The child's mother was brought back to life because he gave a spoiled cheeseburger to an insane god."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

tenniseveryone posted:

Soooooo did anybody else feel a bit weird about Bendis writing about what he was writing about in the back half of this week's Spider-Man #2?

Not really.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Can I get some spoilers for Spider-Man?

When Miles gets back to his apartment after beating up Blackheart, Ganke meets him with some random white girl's vlog about how excited she is that there's a "black Spider-Man." Miles is annoyed because he doesn't want to be "the black Spider-Man," since he's half-Puerto Rican, and besides, he just wants to be "Spider-Man."

Then his maternal grandmother shows up at his house because his grades are in the toilet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I did find a little weird/possibly a little too 'real' that the cops were literally about to shoot the unarmed black kid, when they'd just seen him save the rest of the Avengers, AND Cap and Iron Man are vouching for him.

Well, a demon just told him to sit down and shut up, and that was even freaking Miles out. The cop panicked, for somewhat understandable reasons, but the superheroes didn't, because that's just Tuesday.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you want to see Miles win a fight without the venom shock, he pulls a pretty clever move in the most recent issue of ANAD Avengers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I am ordinarily somewhat more lukewarm on the topic of Dan Slott than some. I consider him a decent plotter with some good comedy chops, and many of his ideas are used more productively or effectively by other writers.

That said, "I'ma survive reentry, wheeeee~" is one of the most monkey-gently caress ridiculous goddamn things I have ever seen in a Spider-Man comic. It reminds me of video games where people will jump off tall ledges and eat fall damage to avoid the three seconds it would take to go down a staircase.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NICK FURY: You done hosed up, Parker.
SPIDER-MAN: A) totally not Parker
NICK FURY: Sure.
SPIDER-MAN: B) I have a plan. I came up with it at exactly the right time, astrologically, for Zodiac to not see this coming: I'm gonna whip a rocketship out of my blue-clad rear end and hack into their satellites in person.
NICK FURY: wait what
SPIDER-MAN: We doin' this.

[music: David Bowie, "Space Oddity"]

SPIDER-MAN: Okay, it turns out they're right smack in the middle of Paris.
NICK FURY: Got it.
ZODIAC: Okay, you know what, gently caress you
ROCKETSHIP: [explodes]
NICK FURY: This could be a problem, Parker.
SPIDER-MAN: Not Parker! Also, why don't you go space-walk to the ISS, as it's right over there.
NICK FURY: That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. Where are you--
SPIDER-MAN: EXTREME!

[SPIDER-MAN stage-dives off a satellite.]

NICK FURY: Well, he's dead.
SPIDER-MAN: ...I really should have thought this through

[SPIDER-MAN nearly DIES.]

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't so much mind the idea of Peter as a world-traveling, genius inventor with the resources to match, as it's always been something he sort of butted up against. With his experiences and his ties to the superhero community, it was becoming increasingly weird that he wasn't at least capable of self-supporting, well beyond the point where you could write it off as a character flaw.

The one thing that bothers me about the Parker Industries notion is that realistically, it would take a flagrant retcon to return Peter to a hard-luck hero again. Slott made a point of noting that Peter doesn't pay himself squat, in the Steve Jobs/Tim Cook school of CEO compensation, but any given one of his inventions should give him a comfortable income stream from now until the end of time. Sooner or later, some writer's going to try to dismantle this in favor of sticking Peter into a five-foot studio apartment in a bad part of the Bronx, and it's going to require a series of blatant, unmissable contrivances.

Either that, or this is just 616 Peter from now on and future writers are going to have to suck it up, but that doesn't happen too often.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The general idea seems to be that if a writer really wants to write Peter as a down-on-his-luck, nearly-broke schlub, they can do it in Spidey or as a flashback or something. If they really want to do something that absolutely requires a teenage Spider-Man, they can do it with Miles or maybe somewhere else in the Spider-Verse.

It's not even so much that I object to the general idea of Parker Industries, as I was one of the guys in the period immediately post-"One More Day" who'd talk about the hundred ways in which Peter could have been doing better than he was. (He can bench-press ten tons. Dude could take every manual labor job in Craigslist's New York section and knock them out in a weekend.) It's more that I can see the contrivance train coming down the tracks, and it's going to be painful when and if it ever gets here.

("Well, thanks to the PR backlash from this super-villain attack, Parker Industries's stock tanked and it had to close down."
("Bummer, but Peter should be riding high on patent cash from any of a dozen things he was selling through the company, or from selling off the trademarks to stuff like the 'webware.'"
("He's too ethical to accept the money when it was a team effort. Also, his staff at every location is basically riddled with double agents, secret villains, Norman Osborn stooges, etc."
("Fair enough. He is that crazy. Even then, though, once you're a multinational company's CEO, you're basically never 'poor' in the classic sense again. Even if he did nothing with what money he did make, he should be up to his rear end in job offers from other companies on that level, even if he's just a faceless engineer."
("His superhero schedule would clash with that."
("Telecommuting is a thing, and being an inventor like he was at Horizon Labs means they expect him to be eccentric."
("Nobody's that eccentric."
("Look at somebody like Steve Jobs or Richard Garriott. If they were dressing up in circus strongman suits to punch muggers at night, it'd have been the least weird thing either of them ever did."

(etc.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The clone of Gwen Stacy got dealt with in the Evolutionary War crossover. They retconned it so Warren wasn't making full clones; he'd just found a woman similar to Gwen and done some tinkering. One of the Young Gods "fixed" her, giving her back her original face, and it turned out her name was Joyce Delaney. Joyce went on to die in Yost's Scarlet Spider.

Granted, this was well pre-Clone Saga, so who even knows.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

So I haven't been into comics for a while, and I was wondering....why is Peter suddenly some sort of mega-super-genius on the level of people like Tony Stark and Reed Richards? I have to say it rubs me the wrong way. The guy's super smart, but he never used to be that super smart.

He always was, but he was never in a position where he could really leverage it. He invented the webbing and the web-shooters himself, as well as an electronic tracking beacon that he can home in on psychically, and he's got a consistent history of coming up with scientific solutions to the villain or problem of the week.

Traditionally, the problem has been Spider-troubles interfering with his education, or keeping him from consistently being able to keep hold of the kinds of resources that Tony or Reed have. In the fields of chemistry or DIY electronics, he's probably top-ten MU and has been for quite a while.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, because he's a really smart science geek in comic book world. Science doesn't work the same way in the MU as it does in the real world. That doesn't mean he's the in-universe equivalent of an Einstein or a Howard Hughes like Reed and Tony are. He was never really presented that way before. I'm not saying don't progress the character and show him having some actual professional success for once in his life, but portraying him as being literally one of the smartest human beings on the planet and an intellectual rival of a dude as crazy smart as Mr. Fantastic? That just comes across as fanboy-ish power level wankery to me.

There's certainly a substantial element of fanboy wish-fulfillment in the post-ANAD status quo (now he has cars and rockets and a hot Chinese scientist girlfriend and SHIELD loves him and--), but the basic concept is sound. Slott was smart to ensure that, for example, the primary products of Parker Industries are explicitly based on things Peter has had to invent in the past over the course of one adventure or another, such as the wall-crawling grip tires on the Spider-Mobile, the spider-tracers, and various new applications for the web-fluid. Using it in air-bags, for example, is actually pretty brilliant.

It also helps that Slott's been working towards this for quite a while, by introducing the Horizon Labs connections and encouraging Peter to spend a lot of his off-hours tinkering. I'm as big a Slott detractor as the next guy on this board, but he's worked hard on this, and while the eight-month time skip means it looks like it came out of nowhere, it's largely a decent extrapolation on a lot of previously established story beats. If it ruptures your suspension of disbelief, that's fine, but you haven't been reading the comics for a while, and this is the end point of something that's been getting built on for the better part of five years.

If it helps, Reed is currently AWOL, Hank Pym is out in space and presumed dead, Tony's company is falling apart, and Hank McCoy is busy working with the Inhumans. In the current Marvel Universe, Peter isn't so much one of the smartest guys as he's one of the smartest guys left, so he's inadvertently filled what would otherwise be a power vacuum, and there are already plots going on that revolve around Peter's inexperience in business and the various unpleasant things that are going on in the company without his knowledge (i.e. everything in the Spider-Man/Deadpool team-up book, or the slow build towards Doctor Octopus coming back from the dead).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't see how, aside from the risk that somebody will backwards-engineer the tech and find vulnerabilities in it, but that's happened before.

One of the big criticisms you can make about Spider-Man books, as has already been mentioned upthread, is that he's supposed to be a hard-luck hero when at any given time in the character's history, he's been sitting on at least two inventions (and a few different superpowers) that could easily support him for life. Now they're using that to get some stories out of it, and while it's got big fat doses of the usual things that bring Slott down, it's at least an interesting direction.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

They established back in the first few issues of the Horizon Labs status quo that everyone already thinks Peter is responsible for making Spider-Man's tech, and now Peter's got Hobie Brown running around in a spider-suit to help sell that cover story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, it was part of the setup he's drawing on for why this entire arc is something the wider world is capable of accepting. I have no idea if he had Big Time in mind as an arc back then, of course, especially since Superior came along between then and now.

It's not like Peter being conveniently close to Spider-Man hasn't been a well-known thing since the beginning.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Instead of framing this as finding the One True Reading of Spider-Man's mechanical acumen, I think it's more productive to acknowledge that a reasonable cross-section of prior Spider-Man fiction supports the current super-inventor direction—not exclusively supports it, but that it's one of many possible valid interpretations of what came before. Given that, it's more interesting to consider things like why this Peter Parker was appealing to Slott/editors, how this storyline might change what works as a reasonable interpretation of Spider-Man in the near future, why shooting webs is awesome, or literally anything other than whether or not Peter Parker is as sciencey as the story right in front of us is telling us that he unambiguously is, at least for now.

Yeah, that's a better way of phrasing what I was trying to say.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Christ at least they give the pretense that a lot of Reed's inventions are so complicated and expensive they can't really be used in any useful mass market sense [Which is it's own type of bullshit, but whatever, lets go with that].

I always preferred the line from Waid's run, about how there are several inventions of Reed's that he's being actively paid to not put into wide release.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

She's the only one of the three who's active in the interdimensional antics in Web Warriors.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really like how expressive the faces were on Spider-Gwen this week. This Bengal guy (?) does good work.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I've been playing through Sunset Overdrive again, so I've got a lot of time for Insomniac, especially now.

Not crazy about the outfit, but yeah, those sure are some Inner Demon-looking dudes to beat on.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I've always been amazed that the old "costume" where Peter had a paper bag on his head and wore most of an old Fantastic Four jumpsuit has been in as many games as it has.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

We all know that this ends with Mary Jane sneaking into Regent's base in a suit of Iron Spider armor and breaking all the heroes out, right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was thinking more that it'd be the closest analogue to how it went in the Secret Wars mini, but sure.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I always figured it was natural that Bendis, being Jewish, would have a soft spot for one of the most high-profile Jewish superheroes of all time. I don't think Ben Grimm's Judaism was explicitly stated until the mid- to late '90s, was it?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Mary-Jane and Peter who are married will end up in Marvel. The current Peter will die but his spider-powers will be transferred to the current Mary-Jane while married Peter takes over as Spider-Man.

I would read that if only because Mary Jane is currently so explicitly and vocally done with Superhero Bullshit. Her getting a fairly robust and versatile power set would be kind of hilarious.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't think Marvel is trying to sell May as hard as DC is shilling Jason, either. May is more like this vaguely-neglected continuity corner that nonetheless has some fans.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, the one sour note for me is MJ's outfit. She looks like the '60s mod version of Spider-Woman. Like, if Silver Age Kathy Kane had designed it, it would be that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I just noticed from the CBR preview that Hannah Blumenreich has a story in this week's issue of ASM, which is pretty rad.

She's got a bunch of fun Spider-Man fan comics on her Tumblr.

http://hannahblumenreich.tumblr.com/post/144836701928/dj-cue-the-jock-jams-please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Spoil it for the rest of us?

Miguel time-travels to meet with his girlfriend, Tempest, and their adult son, and learns from them that their son never met him. He figures that means that when he goes back to 2017 to rescue Tempest, he'll succeed but die in the attempt. Their son provides Miguel with the needed information on the basis that they need to avoid a paradox.

Miguel successfully fights his way to Tempest, but when he finds her, she's been cybernetically augmented. Her systems are hacked and she stabs Miguel through the chest.

He wakes up in Strange 2099's sanctum on New Year's Day, 2100, having successfully accomplished what he went back in time to do: his future city is intact. Strange saved Miguel's life and he stays in his original timeline.

• Locked thread