Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Nobody cared about AoU, not even Marvel editorial.

I'll admit I didn't read it, but I thought the take away of "Stop loving time travelling, it messes poo poo up" was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, he'll get married and instantly get grey hair and wrinkles because we all know that gold bands on your ring finger make you a grandpa. He'll hang out with Steve Rogers and Logan and play pinochle while they complain about the kids and their music these days.
I would read this book. Actually, Peter Parker isn't that much younger than Steve Rogers, ignoring the time Rogers was frozen in ice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parker, married with a kid, Old Steve Rogers, (though again, even without his super soldier serum he still shouldn't be much older than Bucky) and Old Man Logan in a team-up would be an amazing Bendis book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Latour confirmed new Spider-Gwen series after Secret Wars, still taking place in Earth 65
http://jasonlatour.tumblr.com/post/122264092028/we-can-finally-confirm-that-theres-plenty-more-of

I'm continually surprised by how much I love her costume. It might be my favorite Spider-Person costume after the original Red and Blue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Most media outlets are reporting post SW as a total relaunch so yeah, gently caress those guys.

You work in a comic shop, are there book to be ordered that about Spider-People not titled Spider-Man, Spider-Woman or Spider-Gwen? Actually is Spider-Woman still an ongoing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He wont quit until Bendis quits his Spider-man run so he can overtake him.

Even then we'd be stuck with Slott for years. JMS was writing Amazing when Bendis started Ultimate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Still, USM did 18 issues a year for however long Bagley was on it (I think Bendis/Bagley have the longest writer/artist duo streak in comics, followed by Lee/Kirby on Fantastic Four (but that might just be a Marvel record). Maybe this will just turn into a grudge match with Slott writing Peter (or not Peter, or whatever) and Bendis writing Miles until one of them dies. (The writer's not the characters)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This just made me imagine Spiderman & the X-Men: Japan Edition, and I am fully obsessed. There have to be mutants in Japan, right? I want a Japanese mutant school and I want Spidey as headmaster/teacher/whatever. I know it isn't what you meant and I do not care.

Peter'd also work as an ESL teacher to non-mutant kids or whatever, I guess, acting as a superhero on the side. Or a liasion/teacher to whatever Japanese superhero organizations + training programs there are in general.

He could actually just be a science teacher in Japan, I'm sure Japan has schools where some classes are in Japanese and some are in English. My cousin in Spain goes to one that does that in Spanish, English and Catalan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I'm cautious about the premise of the book, I however, cannot get over the Spidermobile. It seems so stupid, watching Ultimate Spider-Man on Netflix with the Spider-cycle shows why this is such a stupid idea. He doesn't need a goddamn Spider-Mobile, he's loving Spider Man. gently caress.

The Spidermobile is the best precisely because it's the dumbest loving idea in the world. Didn't it initially only pop up a couple of times so they could sell a toy and it consistently got wrecked because Peter Parker is a godawful driver?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Was Betty Brant technically Peter's first girlfriend or was it Gwen Stacy? I think a radio show in San Diego might have screwed a guy out of comicon tickets because the show got the answer wrong, but Im not totally sure. They said it was Gwen, the caller (and me) thought it was Betty.

There was mutual attraction in the original Ditko drawn stuff, but I'm not certain if they ever used that word to describe their relationship, or even if they ever actually, you know, went out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I don't think they're burying the F4 as some passive-agressive swipe at Fox, since the new launch has three or four X-Men titles. I think it's just no one buys Fantastic Four comics. Johnny and Ben are on different teams, and I bet Sue and Reed and the kids are going to show up too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

What's with the Hispanic girl theme to all of these?

His original avatar was a Hispanic cartoon girl with a Spanish quote.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Racism is hilarious.

I spent 7 years with the stupid newbie avatar before buying my own, relish in the fact that you managed to get that much reaction out of people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

poo poo like that happened all the time.

Tell that to Bob Banner and Peter Palmer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the official version that his full name is Robert Bruce Banner, and he's just one of those people that prefers his middle name?

In an early Fantastic Four issue they fight the Hulk, and the caption box refers to him as Bob Banner. People noticed and Stan Lee said Bruce was his middle name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Like everything Dan Slott related it would mean other authors would take it over after he was done though.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to pry Spider-Man from his cold dead hands. Which probably isn't a bad idea anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I miss having books that had giant issue numbers. I admit to not buying ASM 512, but it was comforting to see it on the shelves. When they bring back Fantastic Four I hope they don't do it with a number 1.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Peter Parker, noted dimwit dullard.

He's frequently beaten by a stray brick?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cena has done enough charity work that I don't mind him showing up in random threads. Aside from this post I'm not going to actively participate in Cena chat, but it hasn't gotten to the point that it's seriously annoying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Letting Aunt May find out was the best thing JMS ever did. I really wish they hadn't retconned that away.

Oh god that got retconned? Like the best part of Clone Saga was Aunt May revealing she'd known for years he was Spider-Man, then that gets ret conned but we eventually get a non dead Aunt May who knows what's up and that's great too.

loving Mephisto,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

X-Men and Spider-Man have both been poo poo for a long time, because of course, what with them being my favorite corners of the Marvel universe and all. Luckily, the auxiliary titles are still good, but the flagships turn good writers into bad or okay writers into outright boring drudgery.

I liked both (most) New Avengers and Slott's Mighty Avengers, but X-Men and Spider-Man under both have been boring as hell.

Bizarrely, I bet you'd dig the hell out of Spider-Man and The X-Men if you haven't read it yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The major difference is usually Murdock's world gets destroyed by really good writers, where Spider-Man has had to deal with Dan Slott for the past 8 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Plus I'm seriously iffy on the whole 'fighting crime while 8 months pregnant' thing. I get it's supposed to be empowering, but basic logic suggests that's a goddamn terrible idea. Like, 'total disregard for the life of the baby' terrible.

You should read the comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

When has a comicbook main character's pregnancy been that simple?

Wasn't infant Dani Cage hinted at being a Skrull during Secret Invasion and then they never, ever brought that up again (though Jessica Jones actual pregnancy didn't have any major issues).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And then another dude ate the corpse.

God, I miss Spider-Man's tangled web.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Can I get some spoilers for Spider-Man?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How does anyone even know he's the Black Spider-Man? Edit: Oh that's how.

Also Black Spider-Man is the name of my punk band.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PbCG2sp2F8

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

From the related videos, something else I never knew existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSXjBkIIvos

Edit: This is probably weirder than the Nollywood Spider-Girl flick, it has wolfmen that shoot lasers out of their eyes that turn people in to werewolves, and Frankenstein's monster turns people into Frankensteins by shooting lasers out of his neck bolts, and Dracula is defeated by a windmill. Spider-Woman is turned into a half-werewolf and half-vampire thing for a hot minute, in addition to already being half-spider.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 14, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I miss Ben Reilly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Just don't make it like Ultimate Spider-Man where you have to 100% the game to get the black costume.

Don't you play as Venom for a decent chunk of the Ultimate Spider-Man game? Why do you need the black costume?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I've always been amazed that the old "costume" where Peter had a paper bag on his head and wore most of an old Fantastic Four jumpsuit has been in as many games as it has.

It's a pretty funny joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I assumed the gift was he got his life transplanted into 616, along with those closest to him. As far as we know the UU was destroyed.

Every Universe was destroyed, including 616, but Franklin and Molecule Man are actively creating new ones, including the one all the current books are set in, which is basically 616, but with the serial number filed off. Theoretically there could be a universe out there that's functionally identical to Ultimate, knowing Franklin though most of them are probably Dinosaurs fighting Cowboys, or something with pirates.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the first thing Reed did was restore his universe when he gained control of the power.

I bet he fixed Doom's face even before that, just to show off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

But the thing is I'm partisan for Spider-Girl, and not Spider-Man (although he is probably my favourite superhero), and she appears to be this thread's Red Hood.

Spider-Girl isn't a multiple murderer, so we're good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xinder posted:

Hold on, I just made a connection I need to share with the rest of the class.

Morlun and his family only feed on the "essence of animal totems" or whatever. One of the Vultures said that they get to eat the bodies after Morlun and his family are done with their "essence." So this means that they can't just feed on animals, right? But at the end of Spider-Verse they're trapped somewhere eating a bunch of spiders that just came out of the walls or something. So those can't be normal spiders, they have to be some form of totem.

Which means The Thousand is in Spider-Verse. Never forget about The Thousand.

You will get your no-prize in the mail shortly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xinder posted:

Any time I get to bring up The Thousand is truly its own reward.

It was a good story, I miss Spider-Man's Tangled Web.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

I do actually have fun reading comics, I swear it!

Then you're clearly doing it wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Speaking of having fun reading comics, I forgot how good Waid's Daredevil run was. I picked up the monthlies way back when it started but got out of comics for a while. Thanks to MU I'm catching up on it and every issue seems better than the last, especially when my boy Marcos Martin is drawing. I *loved* that dude on Amazing.

I wish Marvel Unlimited had more Cage comics to read with his series coming out only next month. Looks like it's mostly just his time as an Avenger. Thought for sure they would have the classic Heroes for Hire available.

They recently added some 90's Heroes for Hire series that he's in, no idea if it's any good. I bet they'll add more, the "New this week" section always has at least a dozen or so books from the back catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

What's the 70s stuff under? That's what I'm most interested in but all I can find is #1 of Luke Cage, Hero for Hire. His origin story from '72.

His 90s series titled "Cage" I just saw on there for the first time. Has it been on there for a while?That Nightcrawler site that scrapes MU doesn't have that listed yet.

I think "Cage" was a MAX series, and so won't ever pop up on Unlimited, but I also heard it traded in a lot of uncomfortable stereotypes, so maybe it's best to let it sit in the dustbin of continuity.

• Locked thread