Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's also Kaine in New Warriors and Venom in Guardians of the Galaxy if that counts maybe. Please buy NW, don't let Kaine die again :(

Or Aracely!

I really wish that in all of the Superior stuff we could've at least had SpOck meet her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I'd be more excited for Spider-Verse if it had a different writer.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Dacap posted:

I think it's a mask that's like an image inducer kind of thing. He's not a literal shapeshifter.

Well first it was masks, then it was an image inducer belt like the '90s series, then he became an actual shapeshifter somehow, then post-OMD he was back to masks and now he's a shapeshifter again.

He's my favorite Spidey villain if only because, Norman aside, he's one of the only ones who seems (well seemed) intent on loving with Spider-Man on a deeply personal and emotional level as opposed to just doing villain scheme things.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Gatts posted:

You know as much as I'd like it to be MJ and for her character to get respect or move on and get her own series I kinda want that chick and the real Peter to continue on for a bit. She's had a bad deal.

Anna Maria is terrible and I can't think of any real personality she has. She existed (and still exists kind of) as little more than a morality crutch for Otto.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Peter Parker spearheading the prison industrial complex is honestly worse than anything Slott did on Superior goddamn.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

It's nice having the real Superior Foes back now instead of the two fill-ins.

Also, New Warriors was great and finally basically what I wanted out of this series. Shame the sales are really bad because it finally seems like it's hit its stride. Much as I think To's a fine capes artist, Roche's bright and cartoony art works way better for the series so it's kind of a shame he's only doing issues 5 and 6.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Gerard Way is writing one of the Spider-Verse tie-in prequel books.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm reading through the second grade of Scarlet Spider now, and really enjoying it, but there's one issue that ends off with "continued in Minimum Carnage!" I've already skipped past it to keep going through the trade but is Minimum Carnage worth reading?

Also, once I'm done the Scarlet Spider trades what should be next if I want his continuing adventures? I see mixed reviews about New Warriors.

New Warriors picks up from literally the last page of Scarlet Spider. The opening arc is a bit slow, as "getting the team together" arcs tend to be, but by the third or fourth issue it picks up and the last two issues (5 and 6) have been great.

Minimum Carnage... eh. It's easily the worst story in the series but the ending is fairly important for Kaine's development. He uses a stinger to lobotomize Kassady which contributes further to his "I'm just a killer and a monster" angst

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

If you want to believe Rich Johnston, get ready for a Spider-Woman book by either Dennis Hopeless or Cullen Bunn (most likely Hopeless) and Greg Land. :shepicide:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I would say its Hopeless since Bunn already has 3 big 2 books plus his image work.

He said at Heroes Con he's got something coming for Marvel in November. Coincidentally November is when Spider-Verse starts.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Spider-Man 2099 was surprisingly nice though I'm not a fan of Liz Allan: Evil CEO and Sliney is my least favorite regular Marvel artist that's not Land.

Superior Foes was great albeit not the funniest issue in the series. Silvermane and Shocker play off of each other so well though that I don't care.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

coconono posted:

I don't read a lot of Spider-Man, what lead in to Spider-Man 2099 #1? He references a mugging and getting a job at Alchemax.

He got the Alchemax job in SSM, the mugging is from I think one of the ASM #1 back ups.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I used to love Spider-Girl but DeFalco's idea of how teenagers talk really wears on you after a while. I thought the one issue done by the Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane guy was really good, though.

I find that it says a lot that the best issue of the entire Spider-Girl franchise (from the original series to all the failed reboots) is the one issue written by someone else that focused on someone other than May. I mean maybe it's a case where under a different writer she'd be better but overally Spider-Girl's a mediocre to lovely series and May is just kind of a boring character that half the male characters in the series fawn over as this perfect goddess.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Don't make me post pictures of J2, Darkdevil, Wild Thing, Sabreclaw and so on.

In the age of Kamala Khan people would probably get behind J2's whole deal of dork who still looks like a dork powered up but thinks being a superhero is rad as hell.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

You mean Alpha?

Alpha was more of a gently caress-up doofus who thought being a superhero was cool.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Owned, or just wasn't terrible?

Legitimately entertaining because the entire point is that Alpha is not a very good superhero despite his heart being in the right place.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Superior is a lot like everything else Slott has done recently: fine idea that would've been way better if someone else was writing it. Seeing almost everyone's IQs drop to justify everything Spock consistently getting away with his poo poo (the Avengers especially were drooling retards any time they showed up) was awful.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In the Marvel universe it's the year of our lord the high evolutionare 2014, and there's still no publicly available anti-mind reader helmet. Thanks Obama.

I'm happy every month there's a new Superior Foes solicit.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Silk is making me miss Carlie Cooper, holy poo poo what an atrocious loving character.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I like how she's Asian so of course her "costume" includes a ninja mask.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

This was literally my first thought on seeing the character design.

Diversity requirements (almost) fulfilled:

Peter Parker + clones: vanilla white spider-mans
Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter: white, female spider-mans
Miles Morales: Black/Latino spider-mans
Anya Corazon: female Latina spider-mans
Cindy Moon: Asian (Korean) female spider-mans

I guess the only one left is a male Asian spider-mans

edit: also a black female spider-mans

Just go full '90s kids show diversity and have a Spider-Man who swings around in a wheelchair.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

The tie-ins at the very least should be fun.

Also at SDCC Marvel basically said they'll be including any Spider-Man not owned by Sony.

I hope that means we can get '90s TAS Spidey meeting SHOOOOOOCKEEEEERRRRRR.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hopeless/Land Spider-Woman book is official and it's going to have Jessica AND Silk!

It's like Marvel set out to create the single most unappealing book possible.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Poor Overdrive, he just wanted to be like Hawkeye, Quicksilver and all the other Avengers and work as a petty villain so all the heroes would see he's cool and let him reform. :smith:

Flameingblack posted:

The Spider-Men so far with Spock are:

Some kind of Arabian Spider-Man
Six-Armed Spider-Man
Spider-Monkey
Some kind of female Spider-Man in a Ms. Marvel looking costume
Spider-Man Noir
Spider-Man vs Wolverine (That really bad rear end one who could predict the future days/weeks in advance)

Arabian Spider-Man is Spider-Man India, female is Spider-Bitch from Old Man Logan (ain't Mark Millar a charming fellow?), six-arm one is Man-Spider from Mutant X.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Wanderer posted:

So the Spider-Men that Ock found dead were from "What If Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four," House of M, and some alternate reality where the Civil War was still going, but what was the one in the gray and black suit from? It looks familiar but I can't quite place it.

Armored Spider-Man could've been either a random alternate dimension where Spidey wore that or it could've been the Armored Spider-Man from the last couple of episodes of the '90s cartoon probably.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I like Spider-Armor because it was in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. This is the same logic that makes the modular armor the iconic Iron Man armor for me.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I really want to like Spider-Man 2099 but the art is making it really hard.

I laughed at Miguel wondering what he should do when Liz figures out he's hiding something and he imagines himself throwing her out a window.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I really can't get over how goddamn dumb black cat is being.

The whole story is just loving dumb on every conceivable level.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I'm going to be really disappointed if Boomerang goes back to being a generic filler thug after Superior Foes instead of the scheming, constant misdirecting scumbag he is in this book.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sp//der was the most anime poo poo ever right down to her having the window seat in class, I loved it. The cameos were amusing too.

Shame she'll probably die or at least won't get an ongoing because they have Spider-Gwen already (which I didn't think was particularly great).

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Castomira posted:

SP//dr was one of those comics like Spider-Gwen where I enjoyed it tremendously and reread it a few times. I think the professional relationship Peni had with Anime-Daredevil was my favorite part. I would happily read a miniseries if one were released.

Well minis don't really seem to exist anymore for Marvel beyond the rare one here or there. They seem to like going the "maxi-series disguised as an ongoing unless it does well" route.

radlum posted:

Was that the last issue? I've been dreading the end of Superior Foes for months and that seemed quite final yet I could see it going for one more issue.

Next to last. Final issue is next month and has a neat cover that includes Spencer, Lieber, Rachelle Rosenberg (on a poster) and most importantly Boxcat.

I have no clue how Avengers World is but I've liked Superior Foes enough that I'm willing to give Spencer a chance on Ant-Man.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

2099 has been fun even with Sliney's bad art and being stuck in the present. The writing's been entertaining enough.

And speaking of minis, Hobgoblin was fun. I like Kingsley reinventing himself as a super hero Malcolm Gladwell-type solely because it's an easier way to make more money.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

It always comes off as this ultra hacky "man, growing up sure is tough when uou hit the real world... hey I know...!"

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Contrast Spider-Girl, who managed to avoid almost all of that nonsense and still run for one of the longest solo runs for a female character from Marvel.

Why can't people tell the difference between 'everyman, who has some setbacks in his life like anyone else but ultimately rises above it' and 'constant Sisyphean torment'.

You're talking about a medium where plenty of people, both on the creative and journalism side, think that marrying a character is bad because it takes away potential storytelling drama or ages a character making them no longer relatable to the average reader.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They probably couldn't figure out another gameplay gimmick to give him. Dude's not exactly starkly different from regular Spider-man. So they just went "eeehh people liked that Venom mode in Ultimate Spider-man: The Game".

Shame Miles wasn't introduced yet because then you could've had Invincible Spider-Man where you just turn invisible and venom sting everything to win after dodging a lot.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The Inheritors are so goddamn bad. Every last one of them.

On the flipside Spider-Verse Team-Up made me wish Stern would get another shot on Spider-Man.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Vishass posted:

A better issue than I expected.

Some speculation: I assume Old Man Spider-man is the black sheep Inheritor, and it's already been established that they can snack on cosmic power so Enigma Force Spidey is probably lunch in the 2nd/3rd act.

Also assume Scion = Spider-Scion a 2014 FR-S from a parody of the Cars universe. (or Miles)

Black sheep Inheritor is Karn, the guy with diving helmet. Old Man Spider-Man is probably going to be Uncle Ben if they're keeping his identity a secret.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Here's an interesting interview with Ron Frenz on Spider-Girl and Spider-Verse. Why am I not surprised editorial wanted her parents killed?

There's not a whole lot in there I really disagree with. Especially about how death and shock value have been completely devalued.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

I unironically feel this way.

Well people really like Kamala Khan so it's not like there's not a market for "teenage dork gets powers, is a legacy, really loving loves being a hero despite being a doofus".

Edit: And Nova too.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hell the Spider-Man 2099 stuck in 616 isn't even from the original 2099-verse. He's like the the third one. Original, the one from Exiles, and the current guy.

No, the one stuck in 616 is the original. The other two were Exiles and Timestorm versions and both of those guys were killed by Morlun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well who would you suggest to write the series instead, if Marvel decided tomorrow to do a new series? I'd probably go with Sean McKeever, since he actually wrote her before in a very good fill-in issue and after his work on Spider-Man loves Mary Jane among other things, he'd probably be able to juggle the superheroics and the domestics ably, while keeping the overall light tone of the series. I'd leave DeFalco and Frenz as editors a)so nobody is pressuring them to kill off her parents, and b)so they can focus on keeping continuity for their baby straight. You know, what editors are supposed to do.

I can't wait until we get one page of an already dead SMLMJ Spidey while one of the Morlun Goofs makes a snarky remark about how "nobody loved him" or something to poo poo on fans of that book as well because Slott's trolling the dumb fanboys so hard and drinking their tears.

• Locked thread