Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Guys it could be worse, Slott could be writing her for an extended period of time. Isn't death preferable?

I used to love Spider-Girl but DeFalco's idea of how teenagers talk really wears on you after a while. I thought the one issue done by the Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane guy was really good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I used to love Spider-Girl but DeFalco's idea of how teenagers talk really wears on you after a while. I thought the one issue done by the Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane guy was really good, though.

I find that it says a lot that the best issue of the entire Spider-Girl franchise (from the original series to all the failed reboots) is the one issue written by someone else that focused on someone other than May. I mean maybe it's a case where under a different writer she'd be better but overally Spider-Girl's a mediocre to lovely series and May is just kind of a boring character that half the male characters in the series fawn over as this perfect goddess.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Suben posted:

I find that it says a lot that the best issue of the entire Spider-Girl franchise (from the original series to all the failed reboots) is the one issue written by someone else that focused on someone other than May. I mean maybe it's a case where under a different writer she'd be better but overally Spider-Girl's a mediocre to lovely series and May is just kind of a boring character that half the male characters in the series fawn over as this perfect goddess.

It kept going for over a 100 issues, so they must have done something right.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Like Breevort is doing with Captain Marvel, Quesada kept it going far longer than it should've been because it was starring a woman, and a teenager at that. They said the digests, as well as the Marvel Adventures digests, sold really well and a lot to schools and parents who ordered them in the mail. Obviously that didn't hold out forever. The single issue numbers, even after the re-launches and proper trade collections, were really loving low.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've long wondered how DC or Marvel would do if they only did digests and trades/hardcovers. Better story pacing, fewer deadlines, looser continuity timelines, customers wanting to binge on stories, and every fan could stay current if there were only one format in which to buy the latest instalment.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Waterhaul posted:

Well it was Joe Kelly that killed off Mattie Franklin but please no Slott don't kill MayDay Parker, anybody but her. J2 won't be able to go on.

I really want J2 to come into the 616 universe. Imagine all the fun that would cause. "I know you're retired from everything, Cain, and just kinda avoiding everyone, but here's your son, okay, enjoy!"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lobok posted:

I've long wondered how DC or Marvel would do if they only did digests and trades/hardcovers. Better story pacing, fewer deadlines, looser continuity timelines, customers wanting to binge on stories, and every fan could stay current if there were only one format in which to buy the latest instalment.

Probably not good considering they would either lose all ad revenue or start sticking ads in trades

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senor Candle posted:

Probably not good considering they would either lose all ad revenue or start sticking ads in trades

Magazines need ads to survive. Books don't. I don't know how much ads in the floppies are subsidizing production of the rest of their print media but there are clearly many models for making it work without ads.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Having read exactly zero of Spider-Girl or MC2 at all, maybe it was just the universe in general? I mean, the concept of reading a Marvel universe that has actually advanced in time (that isn't just a brief mini/one-storyline-glimpse into the future) is interesting to me. I read the wikipedia article on Spider-Girl and I thought the concept of Peter giving up the hero game after losing a leg was neat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Having read exactly zero of Spider-Girl or MC2 at all, maybe it was just the universe in general? I mean, the concept of reading a Marvel universe that has actually advanced in time (that isn't just a brief mini/one-storyline-glimpse into the future) is interesting to me. I read the wikipedia article on Spider-Girl and I thought the concept of Peter giving up the hero game after losing a leg was neat.

It was a great concept. The execution was pretty terrible.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I wouldn't say the execution was terrible. It wasn't great, but it was still a fun little book that definitely had some heart.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Don't make me post pictures of J2, Darkdevil, Wild Thing, Sabreclaw and so on.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Darkdevil was great unless you're super serious about your super serious comics.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Wonder if Anya is going to meet Mayday and face off in the All-new Superior Spider-Girl? This thing feels like such a Geoff Johns "Throwing all my toys against each other" comic. I just wish it were wrote by Johns instead of Slott, because maybe then it'd be readable.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Flameingblack posted:

Wonder if Anya is going to meet Mayday and face off in the All-new Superior Spider-Girl? This thing feels like such a Geoff Johns "Throwing all my toys against each other" comic. I just wish it were wrote by Johns instead of Slott, because maybe then it'd be readable.

And then again, limbs being torn off.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

By then, Anya will probably be mind-swapped with Female Doc Ock.

Still really surprised she never showed up during Superior.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

notthegoatseguy posted:

By then, Anya will probably be mind-swapped with Female Doc Ock.

Still really surprised she never showed up during Superior.
Her sales weren't threatening Dan Slott's run as the Superior Spider-Man writer. :v:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Don't make me post pictures of J2, Darkdevil, Wild Thing, Sabreclaw and so on.

In the age of Kamala Khan people would probably get behind J2's whole deal of dork who still looks like a dork powered up but thinks being a superhero is rad as hell.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You mean Alpha?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Is any one getting the 1.X issues? As it seems Slott seems capable of being able to write retro Peter pretty well, and the fact that the story has less grandiose about itself does wonders to making me feel like a spidey story.

There's something wrong with me... I think Slott wrote a passable comic! :psyduck:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

You mean Alpha?

Alpha was more of a gently caress-up doofus who thought being a superhero was cool.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Suben posted:

Alpha was more of a gently caress-up doofus who thought being a superhero was cool.

Alpha was a bad excuse for a storyline.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
His actual book owned though and he was king of dweebs.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

His actual book owned though and he was king of dweebs.

Owned, or just wasn't terrible?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Legitimately good.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Owned, or just wasn't terrible?

Legitimately entertaining because the entire point is that Alpha is not a very good superhero despite his heart being in the right place.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Why does everyone here seem to hate Superior Spider-Man so much? I mean, it had its points of wooden dialogue and skirted the lines of plausibility a bit, but I thought it was really cute and fresh. Earlier in this thread people were talking about how early Spider-Man was unique because he was conflicted and insecure and didn't always do the right thing. Ever since the black suit storyline or so, Peter's been too morally grounded for that sort of conflict to have teeth. Superior Spider-Man recaptures that appeal without making GBS threads on Peter's years of character development.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I loved Superior Spider Man. The first 2/3rds is great, it's the last 1/3rd that goes totally off the rails.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought the first two or three Superior issues were absolutely horrible, with the very creepy handling of Spock-MJ and Peter the Friendly Ghost was a weak part of the early issues as well.

Somewhere in the middle are some fairly entertaining issues, mostly due to his interactions with new cast, and not the old cast who have all been struck with a Dumb Stick due to plot.

But overall, if you enjoyed Slott's ASM, you'll enjoy Superior. It has all of Slott's strengths and, in my opinion, faults. No need for me to go over them again but I think his Spidey writing has some very obvious flaws and the change in setting with Spock didn't make them go away.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Superior is a lot like everything else Slott has done recently: fine idea that would've been way better if someone else was writing it. Seeing almost everyone's IQs drop to justify everything Spock consistently getting away with his poo poo (the Avengers especially were drooling retards any time they showed up) was awful.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Really it should be standard procedure that if somebody gets all "No you can't read my mind to confirm who I am!" Thor should tackle them screaming "HAVE AT THE SKRULL!" but it's one of those things they have to sacrifice to tell totally not boring or contrived identity switches.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To be honest if psychics were real I would wrap my head in tin foil and scream bloody murder any time Emma Frost walked into a room. It's kinda hard to argue with the perspective that a person's mind should be inviolate.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest if psychics were real I would wrap my head in tin foil and scream bloody murder any time Emma Frost walked into a room. It's kinda hard to argue with the perspective that a person's mind should be inviolate.

Does tinfoil actually work like that in the Marvel Universe (or, hell, in ANY comic book universe)?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does tinfoil actually work like that in the Marvel Universe (or, hell, in ANY comic book universe)?

Probably not, but I can't afford no fancy hat like Magneto has.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Saeku posted:

Why does everyone here seem to hate Superior Spider-Man so much? I mean, it had its points of wooden dialogue and skirted the lines of plausibility a bit, but I thought it was really cute and fresh. Earlier in this thread people were talking about how early Spider-Man was unique because he was conflicted and insecure and didn't always do the right thing. Ever since the black suit storyline or so, Peter's been too morally grounded for that sort of conflict to have teeth. Superior Spider-Man recaptures that appeal without making GBS threads on Peter's years of character development.
Beyond everyone's gripes with how he treated MJ, or how everyone was stupid as hell, the enemy of the first arc was a guy who committed mass shootings right after Sandy Hook and the Boston Bombings showing real lack of taste by Slott

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's more that everyone else who used Spock for half a page used the premise better then Slott did in his entire run. So many writers did so much better with the idea with so much less time that Slott wasting it for just a blah run is really disheartening.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

Beyond everyone's gripes with how he treated MJ, or how everyone was stupid as hell, the enemy of the first arc was a guy who committed mass shootings right after Sandy Hook and the Boston Bombings showing real lack of taste by Slott

I actually don't think Massacre is that bad of a an idea for a villain and I'm still convinced we haven't seen the last of him. He didn't even get killed on panel. You just hear about it in media reports from eye witnesses. Slott has a history of a lot of fake-out deaths (Hobgoblin, Silver Sable).

My beef with Massacre wasn't so much Massacre, but the story he was introduced in. As Peter is mourning the loss of Marla (and i'll say that funeral and Peter's dream sequence were really well done, probably in no small part due to Martin's art), the Massacre part sucked. As Peter on the other side of town promised "No one dies", Massacre just offs like 6 people right off the bat just for fun. It was really more like "No one dies as long as I am physically present". If anything, Peter should've learned that unless he dedicates his life 24/7 to Spider-Man, there's no way he can make that type of promise.

I'm sure Spock stuffed Massacre away in a secret test tube just like he did with Superior Six.

Speaking of Superior Six, Yost's take on Spock was good in almost every issue of Avenging Spider-Man/Spock Team-Up he wrote.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm sure Spock stuffed Massacre away in a secret test tube just like he did with Superior Six.

He dead.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

Probably not, but I can't afford no fancy hat like Magneto has.

In the Marvel universe it's the year of our lord the high evolutionare 2014, and there's still no publicly available anti-mind reader helmet. Thanks Obama.

Y'know, I think Scott could stop a good chunk of mutant racism if he promised all his supporters anti-mind reading helmets 'Why hate us when we have these hats that will stop the GOVERNMENT from reading your mind! They started with your emails, don't let them invade your privacy further!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In the Marvel universe it's the year of our lord the high evolutionare 2014, and there's still no publicly available anti-mind reader helmet. Thanks Obama.

Y'know, I think Scott could stop a good chunk of mutant racism if he promised all his supporters anti-mind reading helmets 'Why hate us when we have these hats that will stop the GOVERNMENT from reading your mind! They started with your emails, don't let them invade your privacy further!'

Why would he need to market them when they already have tinfoil?

• Locked thread