Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Blockhouse posted:

Essentially erasing Rikki out of existence and having Toro go away forever because he wouldn't get to write them anymore.

surprised he didn't have Gravity just spontaneously combust too.

How do you know the Rikki thing wasn't editorially mandated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Castomira posted:

I enjoyed Spider-Verse #1, but it does absolutely nothing to advance the plot. It's really just Edge of Spiderverse #6. Which is fine, because I really liked those comics, but the rebranding is misleading.

The Penelope Parker story in particular was a lot of fun, and it has no Inheritors whatsoever.

None of them did.

And the best story was Lady Spider; another actually interesting female character (or character in general) introduced in Spider-Verse that we won't see beyond this event.

Suben fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Obviously Silk and Spider-Woman don't count as female characters getting their own ongoings from the event because they're too boring or whatever.

I said interesting characters and I didn't think the Spider-Gwen story was particularly interesting. Not compared Sp//dr or Lady Spider, either of which I'd much rather see get their own book.

Also those opening pages more or less confirms Old Man Spider-Man is Uncle Ben.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Castomira posted:

I wonder, would people hate the Inheritors as much if they were, say, Dr. Strange or Elsa Bloodstone antagonists? I don't really see any criticism of them as characters that doesn't pretty much boil down to "the Inheritors belong in a Vampire: The Masquerade supplement."

I think the problem is just that they're boring and like someone said hit every standard villain family archetype with no depth beyond that. Arguably they've taken steps back as characters since IIRC Morlun's whole deal originally was that he hunted all totems not just spiders. I think, like a lot of other stuff related to Slott's Spider-Man run, the idea of them would work better in the hands of a more competent creator who was less concerned with "trolling" people like like a 12-year-old.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Any thoughts on the new Spider-Woman book?

It's poo poo and they gave Anya the biggest death flag imaginable: Jessica telling Anya and Spider-Gwen that Silk will get them killed before leaving the three of them to watch over an injured Noir Spider-Man, then Silk disappearing in anger leading Anya and Spider-Gwen to go search for her while she's being pursued by the Morlun Twins. The whole thing is about how immature Silk is about being a hero so I'm going to be incredibly surprised if Anya lives as opposed to being a sacrificed for Silk's "great responsibility" moment.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Seems like the whole event's been built around SlottSpock and Silk. Hell, didn't Slott want Spock to be the hero of Spider-Verse, but editorial told him no?

So basically it's literally Slott's fanfic, where the ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL get to save the day.

"Slott's fanfic" describes the entirety of Slott's run on Spider-Man.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

On a more positive note Axis: Carnage continues to be great and I'm glad it and Hobgoblin are apparently getting put in the same trade.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

Superior Foes is incredible. What a good ending for a good book. :)

Shocker finally gets the respect he deserves. :unsmith:

It was a nice little ending. The funniest gag was Boomerang's girlfriend revealing herself to be Black Cat while the TV behind her has a picture of Boxcat with "SURPRISE!". Lieber's visual gags were great and I should probably pick up Quantum & Woody Must Die. Hopefully he gets more work for Marvel in the future.

I'm definitely going to be giving Ant-Man a shot as well.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Also I really hope they run with SHOCKEP being head of the Maggia.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I really hope Carnage-Man stays around after AXIS instead of going back to, well, Carnage.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I hope in a few years, "practical" costumes are looked on with the same derision as pouches. It's capes, I want my superheroes and villains in flashy, impractical costumes.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I got more excited by the Punisher 2099 appearance in Spider-Man 2099 than I did for the end of ASM.

Which isn't a slight to SM2099. Punisher beating the piss out of Daemos with a baseball bat was hype as gently caress.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Why is there no PAD-written Lady Spider series? Pretty sure it'd be a hell of a lot better than loving Silk.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Get ready for Spider-Man and his Amazingly Hot Asian Girlfriend!

Speaking of Asian spider characters it really annoys me that the only thing SP//dr did in the entire event outside of her EoSV issue was literally cry about how fighting hurt. I think this was the first time she did anything behind stand in the background.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Because she's been in some really lovely books and is pretty much a sex object at this point.

She could be more. Hell, Alpha's mini was actually pretty good but no one cares anymore and he is Forgotten Teenager Hero #382920(c).

In Alpha's case you were never intended to like him and he was intended to be a lovely hero from the start, a fact further reinforced by his mini where his personality is better but he's just absolutely terrible at the hero thing no matter how well meaning.

Silk is Alpha if you were intended to actually like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So for the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, they added a character who was always meant to be an insufferable prick and a temporary addition to the cast. Great job guys! Make mine Marvel!

I think the point was to show that Peter's kind of a special case and his experiences and poo poo forged have made him the great hero and man that he is as opposed to the kid who got everything handed to him. It was to show that you can't put just anyone in Peter's situation and expect them to be the same great hero.

Of course it's Slott so the execution is just flat and dumb. Someone on /co/ of all places I think said it best in that (kind of paraphrasing or going off of memories so it's more the idea) Slott has ideas that look nice on paper and maybe as twists and story beats they're not necessarily bad, it's just that they happen and it's quickly on to the next one with no reaction. Alpha's story should've been longer and a slower build instead of being a handful of issues and consigned to obscurity and I think that's emblematic of Slott's problem as the writer of Spider-Man in general.

Look at the end of Spider-Verse: Leopardon's comeback is treated like a huge deal but it never matters beyond the one page it happens. All this time in the run up was spent building up Karn and an issue of one of the tie-ins was dedicated to the heroes recruiting him and bringing him over to their side as a trump card against the Inheritors. He shows up in ASM and does... what, exactly? Causes some shocked looks on his family's face for a page, yells "FOR FREEDOM!" in another and that's literally it. Or look at Ben where the entire previous issue is spent on recruiting him and he basically shows up to (essentially off screen) take Benji back to his universe with maybe, MAYBE, one line of dialogue in the issue. Look at Captain Universe Spidey's death a few issues earlier where he, again, does nothing. The bad guys show up and he's dead in a handful of pages without having ever put up a fight. Solus is built up as the big villain and then just dies out of nowhere with no fanfare. gently caress, nobody's even sure if Kaine's actually dead because he got a claw jammed through his head and... that's it, they never specify his living/dead status.

And that's just one story. Slott's Spider-Man is like this the entire way through. It's like he gets what he thinks is a cool story beat and his entire goal is getting to that beat and once it's happened it's quickly discarded in favor of the next cool beat he has. The build up doesn't matter, making sure it actually works or comes off in a satisfying manner doesn't matter, the aftermath doesn't matter, only the idea itself. It's pretty much just COOL IDEA A ---some poo poo I dunno--> COOL IDEA B --some poo poo I dunno--> COOL IDEA C, and on and on.

It's kind of like Geoff Johns at his worst (Blackest Night) except more frustrating because at least Johns doesn't have an overinflated ego with compartively thin skin and stuff like that isn't as common for Johns as it is for Slott going on years now.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread