Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I tried reading Spiderman from BND but it's kind of boring and I don't like the revolving cast of writers. Recommendations for a good place to pick it up?

Ultimate Spider-Man #1

But if you really really want to I guess just start wherever Slott started as the only writer and that will bring you to the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah it's really painful to read Bendis Spidey and then read exposition lord Slott. My main problem with Ultimate Spidey is I'm not the biggest fan of Bagley.

Yeah tbh I'm not crazy about the art for most of the series but it didn't stop me from really enjoying it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

NoMoneyDown posted:

I'm just not feeling ASM. What made Superior so good was Doc Ock starting out by doing things his way, and basically doing villainous things to benefit the city in a heroic way. He was different from the previous Spiderman, and a breath of fresh air. Now we're back to business as usual with the most dry wit ever seen. The entire comic felt like the definition of "the more things change, the more they stay the same". I haven't been involved with current Spiderman for too long, and I know returning to status quo is par for the course, but Spockerman was a huge loss for me.

And I love that they have a side comic that explains how Spiderman's powers work, when

-There's a very very very SMALL group of people who are probably going to start on Spiderman at this point
-Even if they never picked up a Spiderman comic, I think a vast majority knows how his powers work by now

And the extra kick to the gut being the larger price tag, because they have to throw in their lovely new Inhumans comic in an already crowded book.
The extra comic in the back doesn't add to the price at all. Also if a new reader was going to jump on to Spider-Man at any time this year, it would be this issue.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Vishass posted:

I mean gently caress Slott but did you just skip the pages with the girlfriend, Electro, JJ, and Black Cat?

And the job? Basically the whole issue?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You know foes is getting cancelled. No reason for it to stick around after the end of superior.

Yeah it is so intertwined with SSM that it would be impossible for it to exist without that book. Remember that one time Spider-Man showed up? Crazy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I know and then he said words and webbed away or whatever. Crazy.

Yeah the book has nothing to do with SSM.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
More likely once Ock comes back she'll try to lead him to redemption and then get killed just in time for Ock to be a villian in a movie.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hinoarashi posted:

Read Kindt and Rudy's MK Spider-Man tonight. As much as those last pages warmed my Spider-Man & Mary Jane-lovin' heart, I'm not sure if I think it managed to completely stick the landing but it was a fun fever-dream of a ride and Kindt writes a great Peter.

Marco Rudy is a great artist and I can't wait for his Dr. Strange NA Annual.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's like they want it to fail miserably!

What? Despite what we all think about Greg Land, people still buy his books. Collen Bunn isn't bad and there are people who actually like Hopeless.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I think you're being extremely optimistic about how well this Spider-Woman book is going to sell.

I'm just saying putting Greg Land on a book isn't the mark of death you guys seem to think it is, as much as it should be.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Land's last output was a lot better than what he had been doing. So maybe he's giving up the obvious tracing!

Not really. He had one decent issue but the rest of it is the same tracing garbage.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Land isn't a death mark (though it should be) but a female solo title for a D list character spinning off from a mini event with a lackluster creative team is. There's a reason Hopeless and Bunn constantly get their books cancelled (cos they are neither good nor can get a following).

Bunn was on Venom when it got cancelled right? I thought he had a pretty long run after Remender left. I remember Bunn most from all those Deadpool miniseries and those seemed to do all right. Hopeless moved straight from AA to AU so I don't really see that as a cancellation. What are all the books you're talking about? (I'm not trying to prove you wrong I'm just not familiar with their work outside of what I listed.)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Slott's track record is really more like she'll die but come back as evil or something.

Now we know how SpOck is coming back.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lobok posted:

I've long wondered how DC or Marvel would do if they only did digests and trades/hardcovers. Better story pacing, fewer deadlines, looser continuity timelines, customers wanting to binge on stories, and every fan could stay current if there were only one format in which to buy the latest instalment.

Probably not good considering they would either lose all ad revenue or start sticking ads in trades

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

What is this "Great Power" arc that the 100th Anniversary issue of ASM is talking about as 8 of 8?

The seven issues that came before that one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Tavarin posted:

All of the 100th anniversary issues are written as if they were published in the 2060s, so it's talking about the previous seven issues that never came out.

Yet

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Edge of Spider-Verse #2 this weeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Well I guess Spider-Gwen is going to show up in the upcoming Spider-Woman book.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/30/spider-gwen-will-appear-in-spider-woman/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Great.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah I don't care much about Hopeless. Land is what really bums me out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Edge of Spiderverse was really loving creepy.

I didn't let my girlfriend read it because she has major issues with spiders and seeing tiny spiders crawl out of Gwen's neck might have ruined her night.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would say you guys were right if Hickman had brutally murdered the super friends planet while Krypto watches from afar and whines.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Because nobody cares about Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which had like 20 or so episodes over 30 years ago. It's just more :argh: Dan Slott :argh: as if anybody expected any different this many years into his run.

Slott is specifically targeting the people who have fond memories about that show and laughing at them while he does it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Both yourself and OldTennisCourt are taking an offhand comment of "how many childhoods have i supposedly killed now" way too personally. Dan Slott is not laughing at you, he's enjoying writing comics.

I honestly don't care about the old cartoon so he isn't actually laughing at me. But he did this specifically to make some people angry.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Matt Fraction is absolutely a Butt Stuff Werewolf.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I could have sworn Gwen was in some other spider book in Previews this month that looked good but I keep forgetting to look it up. Maybe posting this will remind me when I get home.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It would be like calling it Captain Falcon which would be awesome and they should totally do that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
How long will it be until Captain Falcon has appeared more in Smash Brothers than in F-Zero games?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

I don't get how anybody can care about the spider-verse at all. The main villain is loving Morlun.

Who the gently caress cares? All the side stuff I've read has been pretty neat. Not gonna read the main series though

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies wasn't a previous event either.

It is referencing previous events though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Inhumans: Attilan Risin and (ultimate universe) The End
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56623

It has to be something about secret wars, no matter how hard you want to believe.

No poo poo it's something about Secret Wars. That doesn't make what I said not true.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Decius posted:

Silver Surfer is pretty good in my opinion though. Just because the name Slott is on the cover doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

It's not bad if you're ok with it being literally Doctor Who.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

On a happier note next week we got Miles teaming up with Ultimate Cartoon Spidey in 60's Cartoon Spidey's dimension. The art is perfectly on point for that dimension.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24931

You can tell that is probably going to be good because it's written by Gage instead of Slott.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
http://chrissamnee.tumblr.com/post/110658048890/wait-shh-my-spidey-news-sense-is-tingling
Samnee just posted this saying he has some Spider-Man related news coming up. This can only be good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well hasn't Waid stated he didn't like the marriage to MJ (weird considering his work on the Flash with Linda)?

Plus Slott's gone on the record as saying he's writing Renew Your Vows.

Just because he thinks it works for one character doesn't mean he feels the same about a completely different one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dacap posted:

I'm sure this is totally unrelated to Marvel studios gaining access to the character :rolleyes:

Yeah they definitely didn't have a poo poo ton of Spider-man comics already. This is the first time in history that there has been a lot of Spider-man comics coming out at once.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

They've had a Venom book for years. Ultimate Spider-Man has been uninterrupted since 2000. Silk and Spider-Gwen were announced well before they got the rights back. Carnage has had so many minis that you could say he's pretty much had an ongoing of sorts for years. Spider-Woman is pretty much completely disconnected from all the other Spider-Man stuff now that Spider-Verse is over. So really the only additions here are Web Warriors and Spidey. And only one of those has Peter in it.

Well yeah but if you ignore all that it looks mighty suspicious!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Two Fantastic Four films, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. All poo poo.

Counter point, X-men 1, X-men 2, X-men 1(Vol 2), X-men 2(Vol 2). They are really good at making decent X-mens 1 & 2.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The cover of Ultimate End 5 makes me thing they're getting rid of the majority of it / the universe as a whole.

I'm not sure they're bring back the multi-verse or if they do it'll be a much reduced version.

No poo poo, They wouldn't be bringing Miles into 616 if the Ultimate universe was sticking around. Another clue to this is they haven't announce or solicited any new Ultimate stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I mean I think it's possible that the Ultimate universe will live on, there just won't be any stories regularly set there. I can of doubt it but I can see Marvel leaving that door open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Castomira posted:

The MC2 universe outliving the Ultimate universe is kind of hilarious.

E: ⇓⇓⇓⇓ Yeah, there's almost no way there's going to be a Gwen in the main setting other than Spider-Gwen for a while. I wouldn't even expect to see more Jackal clones.

Spider-Gwen is still going to be an alt universe

• Locked thread