Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

hiddenriverninja posted:

Dan Slott wanted to make Gwen Stacy's costume a version of her clothes the night that she died. With a trenchcoat. How does he keep getting work.

Because he comes up with characters like Spider-Gwen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

What would we do without the creative tour de force that came up with gems like, 'what if someone else got bitten by a spider'.

Flash Thompson as Venom. Superior Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Right. That's kind of the point I was making. The guy knows how to franchise Spider-Man. If he wasn't writing the main Spider-Man book, he'd be great to have on a B title where he could introduce his weird ideas, and then let a more capable writer cherry pick the good ones for Amazing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That'll probably increase in value now that Gwen is the hot name in Spider Town.

That first Mary Jane though..

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, according to Bleeding Cool (so skepticism is a healthy response), Renew Your Vows is apparently getting more advance orders than the third issue of Secret Wars proper-and that's not factoring in variant covers.

I guess some people do want to read about a married Spider-Man after all.

Amazing Spider-Man is usually one of Marvel's best selling books, and isn't Renew Your Vows the replacement book? That doesn't really surprise me at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Comic fans flip that coin when they register on a message board.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

So...Good comics good? Bad comics bad?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Norah Winters was great.

Speaking of the Brand New Day era, wasn't there a Cindy Moon or something Moon working at Mayor Jameson's office? She may have been Black Cat in disguise. Whatever happened with that?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Carol's too much of a bad rear end to date a dweeb like Parker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My friend is relatively new to comics, somehow latched onto Superior Spider-Man, and dropped the book when Peter came back. That's his Spider-Man, and along with his guest appearences in books like Avengers and Nova, justifies him to me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Slott got me with Spiderverse, and now he's getting me with Spider-Man Japan. That looks like a ton of fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'll take Peter Parker in Japan any day over just rehashing the same stories they've been doing for the past fifty years. After Slott's first issue and Spiderverse, this has me wanting to buy Amazing Spider-Man for the first time in a long time. Just have some fun with the character. If we get monsters, robots, and a neon Spidey punching them I'm loving sold. If I wanted to read stories with MJ or the Green Goblin I'd go through my long boxes and crush myself under the weight of traditional Spider-Man stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm glad I burned myself out on the 600 or so issues before his solo run started, but Agent Venom, Superior Spider-Man, and Spiderverse is a good legacy to have. If I was the editor and I had to tell Slott it was time to give up Amazing, and he blurted out "Spider-Man in Japan!" I'd just tell him when the script was due.

It'll be funny until it's not, but it's a good enough joke to at least check out the first issue.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Slott deserves zero credit for Agent Venom. That idea would have been poo poo if he wrote it, and the few times he did write it, it was poo poo. It's like crediting Rob Liefeld for Deadpool.

You give the creator credit even if someone did it better later.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can't for the life of me see what y'all see in this. It strips everything that makes the character remotely interesting and replaces it with pure dullness.

A dull Spider-Man cover would be him fighting the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus with the New York skyline in the background. Neon Spider-Man in Japan with a new Spidermobile, and Peter Parker in a white suit pressing a button on his watch is the opposite of dull. It lights your brain up with a dozen questions, and the only way to answer them is to read the book. The book probably won't be very good, but that's a good hook for a title that could easily just coast on the same old stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They'll probably let Peter Parker grow up more now that they have all these young Spider-Man books. Amazing Spider-Man is going to be Marvel's best seller regardless of what they do with it, so it probably wouldn't be a big risk to shut up all the people that are mad that they're older than Spider-Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Silver Surfer just had a Last Days tie in come out. You get to see how Eternity looks during Secret Wars (Doom's face, with only Battleworld inside him instead of an entire universe)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Marvel's telling retailers that RYV #5 is going to be massive like Spider-Gwen #1 was. There's 1:100, 1:150 and 1:200 variants that were added the week of the final order. The 1:200's cover will reflect the twist that happens OR SO THEY TELL US.

Had a feeling this was going to happen. I really don't care if Spider-Man is married or not, I just want good stories.

Renew Your Vows is pretty good, so I guess I'll stick around, and give Slott a chance.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He even says "Nobody else was doing anything with her." So maybe those marriage rumors were unfounded.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

They were probably unfounded, as when describing his new run Slott commenting his is gonna bring back everyone's favorite trope. Love Triangles.

Who actually likes love triangles, BTW?

Me. Any sort of romantic trouble for Peter. I'm also a fan of "will they/won't they", "I love you, but hate Spider-Man, because I blame him for my fathers death.", or "I'm attracted to Spider-Man, but Peter Parker does nothing for me."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

OMG, I didn't know anyone liked any of those things.

They are so loving tedious.

I also like when he agonizes over Aunt May's health, and/or money. Angsty thought bubbles for pages.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That sounds like fun. Hopefully they don't backpedal on it before the story even ends like DC did with Batman Inc.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well grain of salt and all that. It didn't come from the same place that said MJ was gonna get wifed again but rumorville is a vicious place.

Edit: Yet another rumor says that a second MJ is crossing into 616 (or whatever they're gonna cal it) causing headaches for everyone.

They've been franchising the poo poo out of Spider-Man, going global is a smart move. Bringing back Spider Punk would be nice as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The new Beetle has been showing up in Ant Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sounds like you should be reading Spider-Man instead of Amazing Spider-Man.

This was a really fun issue. Poor mans Tony Stark is a good hook to play with for a while. Bonus points for making the Living Brain creepy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He thought it was a younger Peter up until their final confrontation in Spiderverse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Poor man's Tony Stark is going to be as good a businessman as Tony Stark. loving terrible, I mean. Except I see Peter just giving up on the whole thing before we get Parked Fujikawa or Parker Resiliant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Waid was going to be part of the group that was planned to unmarry Superman in 2000.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wasn't there going to be some Brainiac induced amnesia or something?

EDIT: Found it.

quote:

Ultimately, Luthor’s threat becomes so grand that it threatens all of spacetime--including the Fifth Dimension, forging a tense alliance between Superman and Mxyzptlk. With superhuman effort, Luthor and Brainiac are thwarted--but not before Brainiac gets his revenge.

Memories, as science is only now theorizing and as Brainiac has known for years, are not electrical in nature. They are, in fact, actual chemical deposits in the brain. And what is chemical can easily be turned to poison.

Brainiac has adjusted Lois’s chemical memory of Clark’s secret identity so that it’s killing her.

The poison memory can’t be removed. It can conceivably be masked--Superman has more than one magical ally who could erase Lois’s conscious memory of his identity, who could facilitate a reality in which Clark and Lois were married without Lois being aware of her husband’s double life--but deep down, Superman knows that’s too risky. He can’t live with her, can’t be her husband, can’t share her life. She’s too sharp. No matter what he does, no matter how on guard he is, she’ll stumble onto his secret eventually, and when she does, it will be the death of her.

With no other conceivable option, Superman turns to Mxyzptlk. Sure, says Mxy, I can fix this--but only by altering history so that she NEVER knew. So that there was never a memory TO poison.

Unacceptable, says Superman. You have the power to fix this more simply. You don’t have to go that far.

Untrue, counters Mxyzptlk. Despite what I may or may not WANT to do for you...when I’m in the third dimension, I’m INCAPABLE of doing anything BUT mischief.

So the offer’s on the table, the clock is ticking on Lois, and together, she and her husband make their tragic decision. Though Lois would rather spend one day with Clark’s love than a lifetime without it, he swears to her that they’ll be together again when the time is right. For now...they have no choice but to erase their lives together so that Lois might live.

Mxyzptlk weaves his spell. As night falls around the globe, people will begin to fall asleep--and as they do, the world will change and Clark’s secret will be restored. People will awaken without any memory that Clark Kent and Lois Lane were ever married, were ever together. Clark and Lois have until sundown to enjoy one last, perfect day.

And so long as we live, we will never again see two people so much in love as we do that day.

Eventually, however, the violet dust of twilight settles across the city. It’s happening. Their arms wrapped around one another as if they’ll never touch this way again, Lois and Clark begin to fall asleep. With a last kiss, they drift into slumber...

...and when dawn breaks across Metropolis, Clark Kent exits his bachelor apartment at 344 Clinton Avenue and makes it to his Daily Planet desk just in time to catch the latest in a long line of caustic barbs from rival reporter Lois Lane. She has her sights set on Superman, thinks Kent for the millionth time. If only I could get her to love me as Clark...

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 17, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that you can't understand why having the main character of a work making a deal with the devil and then being poorly written for 8 years might make people unhappy with a book.

Most people find other interests after eight years. When Slott took over on Spider-Man I discovered I'm a huge Thor fan. Getting bored with Batman? I'll see how Superman is doing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

For some reason it reminds me of Norman getting amnesia in Amazing #41, and Peter having to live, knowing Norman could remember everything at any moment. That was some great drama.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Argue posted:

Huh, is she going to be in Web Warriors too? Jessica just goes to Gwen's dimension for coffee in one panel. Or is this a hint that the ending of Secret Wars is going to make it real easy for heroes to traverse dimensions on a whim?

Spider Gwen and Spider Woman are having a team up in one of their books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And that'll be the thing most likely to do him in. Somebody is going to push his buttons, and trigger a melt down that forces Marvel to slowly distance themselves from him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Has nobody ever told Dan not to touch the poop?

Another difference between this renumbering and the last one is that I give a poo poo about this one. Spider-Man Incorporated is nutty enough to be fun for a while. He's been in my good graces since Spiderverse. Who'd have thought that when you throw every Spider-Man in one story against the wall, they stick?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

No, but there's been various jokes about it. Everybody is just super dramatic. Peter Parker couldn't lose a sock without Aunt May nearly dieing, Jameson almost firing him, and having a nervous break down as he struggles to fight off a super villain so he can get home to look for it.

EDIT: The sock was also a gift from Gwen, and if Harry finds the sock, he'll put it on and it'll remind Norman that Peter is Spider-Man and he's the Green Goblin! Flash Thompson is a jerk!

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 1, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Amalgam has a way of bringing people together.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider Verse was a ton of fun. Definitely read it if you can find the collection for a decent price. A lot of the enjoyment comes from the tie ins. Spider Punk's story was written by a goon, and was the stand out next to Spider Gwen and Gerard Way's SP//DR or whatever it was called.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Latest issue of Amazing was really good. It's an interesting take on Spidey in this post Avengers movie world.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Archyduke posted:

It was an over the top scene, but clearly born out of the logic of "what kind of over the top scene can we tell." Was it a good scene? Did it work? Maybe, maybe not, but it sells itself entirely on style and brashness and so judging it on a jaundiced summary is obviously not going to do it any favors.

I think this is what Die Laughing means-- or at least how I took it. How do you tell a Spider-Man story on increasingly large scales? What's he like as a Bond-style superspy? What's he like as a bombastic action hero? This latest Slott run has done a nice job balancing the task of putting the grammar of the Spider-Man story somewhere out of its comfort zone without displacing the essentialy Spidey-ness of the character-- his nebbishness, his paradoxical brazenness, the logic of accumulating problems and complications. Was Spider-Man's Space-Drop a little much? Maybe, sort of, but it's flagged as such in the book. It's a sleight of hand, it's a little act of spectacle, and I respect it as a continuation of Slott's variably successful but largely admirable mission to do things with the character that are not typically done. That doesn't excuse it, per se, but there's more going on than Dan Slott wandering around with his finger up his nose misunderstanding how space works.

You're much more articulate than I am. I've read so many drat Spider-Man comics that something as crazy as this Parker Industries stuff is really fresh and exciting. The space dive kind of reminds me of Spidey saving John Jameson in the original Amazing Spider-Man #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's part of the fun! The silly rear end idea of being your alter ego's bodyguard works better in a book with more comedy.

• Locked thread