Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If I was Spider-Man, I would also be Iron Man if I had the money. Checks out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Amazing Spider-Man has been pretty good lately. The new status quo is a breath of fresh air, and seems to have turned around a few of us on Slott.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The latest arcs of Amazing Spider-Man, and Invincible Iron Man both have Spidey and Iron Man having a corporate dick measuring contest, and arguing about MJ.

And which Goblin hasn't had some secret identity fuckery because of creative team changes?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just don't make it like Ultimate Spider-Man where you have to 100% the game to get the black costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I've always been amazed that the old "costume" where Peter had a paper bag on his head and wore most of an old Fantastic Four jumpsuit has been in as many games as it has.

It's a great gag, and it's also the issue where Peter first ditches the black costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm going to forgive him this issue. Even the cover sucks. Next issues cover looks so good though. I don't care what's going on inside.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I just hope Doc Ock gets his brain put into a clone of Peter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jack Kirby used to send out Hannukah cards with the Thing on them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Xinder posted:

Am I an outlier for enjoying Spider-Verse? I've heard mostly negative things about it but I really enjoyed it. It was a really fun bit of fanservice bringing back all the weird old alternate spideys. It wasn't a particularly good story but it was fun and that's what matters to me.

Spider Verse was pretty awesome. People get all hung up on alternate Spider-Men getting killed instead of not being used at all for years.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Miles was in one of the best tie ins with the 60's cartoon Spider-Man. As controversial as the event was, most of the tie ins were drat good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Xinder posted:

Hold on, I just made a connection I need to share with the rest of the class.

Morlun and his family only feed on the "essence of animal totems" or whatever. One of the Vultures said that they get to eat the bodies after Morlun and his family are done with their "essence." So this means that they can't just feed on animals, right? But at the end of Spider-Verse they're trapped somewhere eating a bunch of spiders that just came out of the walls or something. So those can't be normal spiders, they have to be some form of totem.

Which means The Thousand is in Spider-Verse. Never forget about The Thousand.

They could feed on animals, but they probably don't have that special energy that humans have when bonded with the animal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lobok posted:

One thing I used to like about Spider-Man was his concept not being diluted by so many other derivative characters or a "Spider-Family". So many Super people, Flashes, Green Lanterns, etc. Now it seems like every character has their own imitators or legacy characters.

So even if Slott was incredible I'm not looking forward to that storyline as I power through Amazing on Marvel Unlimited.

I used to feel that way, but Spider-Man is such a fluid concept that you can make so many variations of the character without losing what we love about the original. The Spider-Verse tie ins do a great job of showing it. The main Spider Verse story was just the bone that all the meat was attached to.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And Black Widow. Always getting overlooked like the pre Secret Wars Elektra book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The thing that Norman had over Doc Ock, is that he had a personal connection to Peter. Octavius didn't show up unless he had a scheme, but when Norman had amnesia, he could show up whenever Peter was with Harry, and Peter would fill the panel with a dramatic thought bubble, agonizing over whether Norman really forgot or if he's just toying with him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It was alright. Exactly what you'd expect. Jim Cheung's art is great as usual.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Why do they keep going back to clones?

Every single Spider-man fan hates clones. Spider-man hates clones. I'm pretty sure all of the clones hate themselves too (it's okay, Kaine. We all still love you.)

But this stupid rear end plot thread refuses to just go away.

I don't hate clones. They're fine if used right. Let's just wait for the Peter Parker clones to start popping up before we call this the worst thing ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, and going by the back-up (and wow, Dan Slott just couldn't resist messing with The Night Gwen Stacy Died, could he?) shock of shocks - they're all just clones! Like, they explain the latest Gwen has DNA taken from her corpse so she remembers everything. So it's still just cloning, just with more, er...recent samples. So much for bringing back any of those characters, because shrugging and just accepting a clone as the original isn't usually how these things go (except for Ultimate Gwen).

The new Prowler book is going to have an interesting hook. He's a clone, but he's effectively the same character, because he was brought back the page after he died. The other new wrinkle to clones this time around, is that they need daily pills to keep from degrading.

I also liked that Peter is getting blamed by JJJ for his fathers death because he refused to let him get cloned organs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I really don't see that going down any better than 'turns out the Peter Parker you've been reading about for the last 20 years or so was a CLONE!'. There is a difference, at least in Spider-Man's world, between the clone and the original - ever if you say 'well, this version has the memories of the original right up to his death', that's still not the guy people came to see. And I really don't think that there's going to be all that many people superenthusiatic about Hobie Brown, no matter how much Dan Slott has been trying to make him an integral part of the Spider-Man universe. He's just an copy of the inferior version of the character (sorry, Prowler, Spider-Punk is the Superior Hobie Brown).

So we're not getting back any of the classic characters really back, just clones (I think the cloned Otto is going to turn out to be a different character to the Living Brain Otto. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up cloning himself a new Parker body to be the Superior Spider-Man again).

Edit: And JJJ has no reason to get mad at Peter, Jay was entirely conscious and in command of his faculties and chose to refuse treatment. It's not like Peter could stop him, he just argued it was a bad idea, and Jay agreed.

You don't see it going down any better? "The Peter you've been reading is a clone! Here's the real one!" Style of clone story invalidates years of stories because the character you're reading moving forward had been off screen for the years while the unwitting clone was being published. This new story doesn't have any bait and switch revelations yet, and letting them retain the original characters memories makes them essentially the same character, with the caveat that they have to take the Jackal's drug to stay alive.

There's plenty of characters that have had their minds put into clone bodies, and it's never brought up again that they aren't the original.

Oh, and Hobie Brown is awesome in any universe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Professor X is the example that comes to mind first.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gavok posted:

To celebrate the new Venom series, I got to be on-brand and write this baby:

We Are Venom: 40 Characters That Wore the Symbiote

Is there a mobile version? That site shits itself on my cell phone.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Almost doubted you for a moment until I got to the honorable mention.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I grew up in the 90s and the black suit was like the coolest thing ever. More so than whatever dumb ol' Wolverine was doing anyway

My formative years for Marvel were like 1990-1991 and there were toys for Venom, and Wolverine was still in his tan costume. It wasn't until we got Agent Venom and X-Force stealth Wolverine that we approached that awesomeness again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'd argue that launching Spider Woman with a tie in to a major event stemming from one of Marvel's best selling books is a good idea. It gets more eyeballs on the book, and hopefully they stick around for the new artist and costume like I did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

On the other hand, you get people ditching it because it no longer matters to ASM or stopped having the 'sexy' costume/art.

I actually think if that tie-in had been a mini-series, with someone else on art, it'd be much better received, as the writing is about the same, with Jessica flying by the seat of her pants when she's on her own, but trying to appear like she's queen badass of the world and cool aunt all rolled into one when Cindy and Gwen show up. Plus it has an evil Jessica as a pirate captain.

They weren't worried about how the tie in would be received. They wanted the tie in people to hopefully stick around for the ongoing book. They wanted to leech as much heat from Spider Verse to sustain a book about Spider Woman teaming up with the Porcupine.

What a great new costume. Hilarious that Greg Land was the one to put the classic to bed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Watch the Seven Little Super Heroes episode. It has Namor, Captain America, Doctor Strange, and Shanna against the only villain that'd be a threat against their combined might: the Chameleon! That was my first real introduction to all these characters, and holds a special place in my heart.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I knew about Citizen V long before I learned of V for Vendetta. Did Marvel play into it at all?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

RandallODim posted:

The voice in your head telling you not to just murder that mugger could be a fun twist.

They did that with Deathlok.

Clone Conspiracy had a crap ending, but the art was good, and I enjoyed seeing all the old faces again. The signal possibly wrecking the webware is going to be the convenient way to make Peter broke again probably.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Oops.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider-Man is that super hero that tells you stupid jokes, while holding your car up, as you replace a flat tire.

Spider-Man is that super hero that sees you bombing on a date, and swoops in to tell the girl about how you totally saved him from the Scorpion.

Spider-Man is that super hero that asks you if you're going to finish those fries.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Weren't the Enforcers recently in Howard the Duck or Squirrel Girl?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but check this out-
https://twitter.com/MrSheldon/status/872692496760950785
He translated the background song

That's awesome. Someone should find the original writer of the Spider Punk story and show him this. And ask him when we're getting a Spider Punk mini series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

RandallODim posted:

I was going to say but I honestly wasn't sure if OMN was making a joke.

I was. I love any excuse to praise Vulpes for his Spider Punk story. They really gave the wrong Spiderverse character an ongoing. No offense to Jason Latour.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I didn't really care for the FCBD issue. Chip is such a funny writer though, and Bendis said he's mad at how good he writes Spidey.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is it safe to say that I thought Millar's Ultimate Fantastic Four was a good time? Despite Greg Land's art, he did some fun stuff. I still fondly remember the excitement for Crossover, and laughing my rear end off at the twist.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ultimate Doom was terrible. Was he the first misstep in the Ultimate line, or was Ultimate X-Men already loving up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I didn't mind Bendis' Ultimate X-Men. I doubt I'd like it now, but he could do no wrong to me at the time.

• Locked thread