Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If you had a Comixology account, you got a $5.00 credit for the fuckery that's going on right now. Superior Spider-Man Vol. 1 is still $3.00 on Comixology right now, but even with a free $5 credit it's still not worth the price of admission (Which is free). You could use that $5 on Spider-Man: Blue, or Spider-Man: Masterworks or Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1! Or even better Marvel collections that are $3 right now!

Everything about Superior Spider-Man sounds really cool to an outsider. I thought it was really cool too, but I read it and wow Dan Slott just become an editor for DC or something, you are bad at every aspect of a comic book that isn't an idea. Slott writes comics to make action figures, he would have fit in really well in the 90's writing Urban Arctic Assault Spider-Man

CharlestheHammer posted:

BND is bland as gently caress but there are a couple good arcs sprinkled in there.

Try out shed. Its pretty cool. 630-633.
Shed, and a lot of stuff from The Gauntlet are really good. The Rhino story is really great, and Grim Hunt following wasn't so bad either.

Senor Candle posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1

But if you really really want to I guess just start wherever Slott started as the only writer and that will bring you to the present.
I dunno, it seems like Slott retconned everything about Spider-Man up until BND himself again with the "Only xx memories!" idea. None of Big Time or Superior seems like it's going to stick at all other than Carlie Cooper walking around and being rude and Slott's horribly inconsistent Mary Jane writing.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

PoshAlligator posted:

I can't wait for the collectible action figure range of the Spider-Verse.

At least I finally got my dream of a new 2099 book, but I don't really care for the art.
They'll all have one fist and a webslinger hand identical to every other Spider-Man figure released by Marvel Legends.

(Or they'll be like Ghost Rider who has a hand for holding a weapon when he doesn't even come with any weapons)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Maybe I thought I was being too harsh on Superior Spider-Man. I was only reading bits and pieces when I heard something spectacularly stupid happening, and just had to read it for myself.

I bought the first trade since it was only three bucks on Comixology.

Nitpicks:
  • Anna's cute, but she's drawn like a child, rather than a little person.
  • Since when has Peter Parker ever been known for extraordinary good looks? Never, that I recall. The fact that Otto just walks around with an earpiece and girls all flock to him like Brad Pitt is so laughable.
  • Apparently treating Mary-Jane like garbage and ignoring her turns her on. What a good impression
  • Does Carlie Cooper ever not act condescending?
  • Why does SpOck use an iPhone App when he already has the technology in his goggles? Why doesn't he just do exactly what Iron Man does.
  • Why is Charles Barkley a super scientist?
  • Using children as villain henchman in exchange for arcade tokens is. Wow, that's so dumb. They don't even have arcades, what kid wants to go to an arcade in 2014?
  • The children were drawn to look like they had dwarfism while Anna Marie was drawn to look like a child.

Spectacularly stupid:
Massacre. Everything about Massacre. Casually slipping in murder sprees inside of a fast food restaurant is not cool at all, and then the ridiculousness of having him go to a competitor and "brand" himself with a competitor's logo for blood money is just the dumbest loving thing I think I've ever read a super villain do. It wasn't clever and the only impact it left on me was tasteless attempts at shock and awe. I can't get over how stupid this entire villain/concept is, even if the end-game for Slott was create a villain so "despicable" that Otto would want to kill him to make a point, this was just so loving stupid and a very poor attempt at moving the story forward. It looked like Massacre was pulled right out of a Batman comic during his grittiest, most grimdark era and had the concept with Azreal or Hush as Batman deciding to pull the trigger and kill Joker.

What I took from Volume 1:
Slott is trying to write Superior Batman? Slott should not have ever been allowed to write a character called "Massacre" and whatever he does. If not for that, everything else would just be minor nitpicks. I would have bought Vol 2 if it were on sale; there are ideas and concepts I'd like to continue with. Anna Marie wasn't nearly as bad as the clips and forums made her look (It's just that the art style does not do her any favors).

I still think everything about the brain-swap is stupid. Ghost Peter was stupid. Other things had decent ideas and poor execution. Still think Slott would be a better editor than a writer and just throwing ideas to other, much better writers. "Massacre" turned me off to wanting to read anymore Superior Spider-Man, even if he never shows up again.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Kaine backup was pretty sweet and the Miguel one made me grin from ear to ear :allears:
Peter finding out Dock's been doing it with Anna, and she finding out SpOck was gonna propose is hilarious, but not enough to drop more cash into this.
My first impression of Anna was that she was being weird by constantly sending SpOck a ton of emails and texts and whatnot to get his attention and then makes him dinner the first night they meet. My second impression of Anna is that she apparently knows every inch of his body and could tell he was Spider-Man just from three little freckles about 30 feet away from a news camera. This make it seem to me like she's kind of stalking him since I missed everything in between. :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wanderer posted:

How is this Anna Maria thing not creepy as hell? How did it hit paper without somebody saying to Slott that goofy romance drama with a lady who used to bang the dude who stole your body is opening a big old can of worms?
But you see! It works both ways because Ock did that with Mary Jane too! so it's totally okay.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think the core issue is less "people disliked Spock" and more "god drat, it's still Dan Slott."
I finally gave it a fair shot and I didn't hate the idea but light bless Slott is not a very good writer. In December 2012 there was the Sandy Hook shooting, and in January 2013 Slott began writing a character who went into a burger chain and shot up everyone inside of it, then went to a bank or something and shot up more people. That was just tasteless, and there's not a good reason why that had to happen in the comic, even if there hadn't been a mass shooting in the US for the last 10 years.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the best time to be a Spider-Man fan recently was when Venom was pretty good and Scarlet Spider was running. :smith:
Behind the scenes Dan Slott threw a fit because those comics were getting more praise so he used his pull to have them all canceled so he could write the true Superior Spider-Man comic (Because it has no opposition)

(This isn't true at all)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

So because a school shooting happened, there should be no shooting or guns in comics at all? That's a stretch.

Aren't comics usually done 4-6 months ahead of release? That's why sometimes pop culture references feel dated especially when it comes to fads.
I don't understand why there had to be a mass shooting in a public setting at all. This is different than Punisher mowing down a bunch of gangsters.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

Spider-Man's stuff is the best thing about Civil War.
That's when I started reading Spider-Man again (I heard he de-masked on the regular news) and went back and read all the Civil War Spider-Man stuff (Started just after House of M and quit at OMD). It's been since 2007 since I've read those comics, but I remember having more fun reading those than I did any spider-man since, other than the rare things like The Gauntlet.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If there's one thing that Spider-Man needed after BND, it's another harem full of characters that no one really likes. Reboot completely justified.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

To be fair, Peter's "harem" actually did have some likable characters. Norah Winters, MJ, Black Cat, Carol Danvers (sorta). These were all people that fans would have thought were interesting foils for Peter to end up with. It's just unfortunate that he ended up with the blandest one off the bat: Joe Quesada's daughter who he fantasizes hooking up with Spiderman for some reason Carlie Cooper.
There were a lot of people down for Peter and Black Cat/Captain Marvel just trying to make the most of it, but welp, it's Carlie Cooper straight into Anna, two characters made post OMD that no one is very interested in :v:

And now Felecia wants to murder Spider-Man and Carol is long, long gone.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, that's another thing, Felicia has been around Spider-Man more than enough to realize *something* was hosed up over their fight. Why she's all "must kill spider" instead of trying to figure out what was wrong is baffling.
Dan Slott. Everyone in his comic has been beaten over the head with the stupid stick for the sake of his story-telling. This is a world where Skrulls have very publicly invaded the Earth and no one thinks much of anything.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Gatts posted:

So this is Stan Lee doing Spock...but better. Sounds good to me.
That's a rather low bar to clear, the only person that could do worse than Dan Slott is Scott Lobdell.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Spider-Man 100th Anniversary had great art, and it was okay for a one-shot, but it doesn't feel like it blew me away. It was good but not Amazing, but still worth a read if you can.

I'm not giving Slott any money so I didn't read Spider-Man 2099

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

How is a peter David written book giving money to Slott?
:downs:

I just assumed, looks like I'll buy it after-all.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wonder if Anya is going to meet Mayday and face off in the All-new Superior Spider-Girl? This thing feels like such a Geoff Johns "Throwing all my toys against each other" comic. I just wish it were wrote by Johns instead of Slott, because maybe then it'd be readable.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

By then, Anya will probably be mind-swapped with Female Doc Ock.

Still really surprised she never showed up during Superior.
Her sales weren't threatening Dan Slott's run as the Superior Spider-Man writer. :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Saeku posted:

Why does everyone here seem to hate Superior Spider-Man so much? I mean, it had its points of wooden dialogue and skirted the lines of plausibility a bit, but I thought it was really cute and fresh. Earlier in this thread people were talking about how early Spider-Man was unique because he was conflicted and insecure and didn't always do the right thing. Ever since the black suit storyline or so, Peter's been too morally grounded for that sort of conflict to have teeth. Superior Spider-Man recaptures that appeal without making GBS threads on Peter's years of character development.
Beyond everyone's gripes with how he treated MJ, or how everyone was stupid as hell, the enemy of the first arc was a guy who committed mass shootings right after Sandy Hook and the Boston Bombings showing real lack of taste by Slott

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wanderer posted:

It's also not unheard-of for it to show up as a Caucasian person's surname, so who even knows. Do we have word from Slott on this?
Something about you being a racist before he blocks you on twitter.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually didn't totally hate the Spock 32 issue. I find it interesting that Spider-Verse is basically going to be a thing due to something Spock did.

Of course I also thought the intro issue to Spider-Island was pretty good too, and look how that all turned out.
I rolled my eyes when in the year 2099, apparently all Japanese still use Samurai swords when they're working as guards for something, they don't even do that in the year 2014.

Anna is again drawn like a little girl, instead of a dwarfed person which makes Spock's interactions with her even weirder than before.

Other than that, I liked the issue. Superior Spider-Man wasn't a bad idea, it was just done by a bad writer.

The Spider-Men so far with Spock are:

Some kind of Arabian Spider-Man
Six-Armed Spider-Man
Spider-Monkey
Some kind of female Spider-Man in a Ms. Marvel looking costume
Spider-Man Noir
Spider-Man vs Wolverine (That really bad rear end one who could predict the future days/weeks in advance)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wanderer posted:

So the Spider-Men that Ock found dead were from "What If Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four," House of M, and some alternate reality where the Civil War was still going, but what was the one in the gray and black suit from? It looks familiar but I can't quite place it.
It's likely it's from the 90's era Spider-Man cartoon.

The only comic it made it to was this one in the 90's.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 7, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

I really can't get over how goddamn dumb black cat is being.
Dan Slott is good at writing characters.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

This just seems so loving weird. I mean JMS wrote Spidey as being nervous to introduce MJ to Captain America. Now Peter is just making out with Silk every change he gets, even in front of the woman who is supposed to publicly be his actual girlfriend.

On the plus side, Edge of Spider-Verse 1930s style was pretty cool.
That's because Dan Slott lives out his fantasies through Spider-Man so everything comes off as cringeworthy as hell.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I agree with pretty much everything in that post.

In good Spider-verse news tho, the Spider-Gwen issue was even more amazing than I could've hoped.
It made me want an on-going out of continuity wrote by the author or Brian Lee O'Mally (Scott Pilgrim). It was so different that other comics, it would be a great comic to draw girls in too. The art was great, everything was great.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dacap posted:

Someone recorded the MaryJanes song from the Spider-Gwen issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1AO8WHUlM
That's what I thought it would sound like too, the comic had a bit of a Scott Pilgrim feel to it, I hope this gets an ongoing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

First Bass posted:

Will the world ever be ready for a Spider-Gwen movie?
If Marvel could somehow retain the rights to Gwen Stacy and give the rights to Edgar Wright a Marvel-produced Spider-Gwen movie would be amazing :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RevKrule posted:

Because I'm sure Edgar Wright would be ecstatic to work with Marvel again after his last project went so swimmingly.
Hadn't heard the news that he dropped out, which is such a loving shame. I would have trusted him to make Ant Man fantastic, he's got so many cult favorites and if anyone could have done well with Ant Man it was him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Gwen has way too much positive response to be disposed of. Marvel will find some way to feature her more.
A new on-going featuring Dan Slott. Alternatively, we must make this depressing in every way possible right away, so they kill off Captain Stacy right away because teenage girls aren't allowed to be happy forever in comicbooks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I don't know what's worse, giving it to Slott or giving it to Hopeless. I really, truly don't think they could have done much worse.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

We haven't even had Peter back yet, and god bless, I was just joking about Dan Slott stealing Spider-Gwen because she was popular.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hahahahaha

I somehow think it's possible to make the villain bad without resorting to slaughtering lighthearted cartoon characters you hack.
Or maybe without slaughtering a bunch of innocent people in a burger place a month after Sandy Hook.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, Hickman is doing the same thing. Though the universes aren't that recognizable, I guess.
Hickman isn't killing off the Ultimate universe for shock value, he's killing off characters that have similarities to other universes, but aren't specific IE: The Justice League universe. That's fine, he isn't killing off beloved characters or bragging about killing anyone's childhood. Everything flows well within Hickman's narrative, and nothing he does is completely for shock value to rile people up.

Slott relies on irritating or angering fans to get them to rage-buy his comics, and because he doesn't take criticism well at all, he trolls all of them or threatens to sue them when they are rightfully angered at the thing he wrote to anger people. He might be a good big-idea type of guy but god bless, please take him off Spider-Man and let someone else write his stories. I tried reading Superior Spider-Man, and some of the stuff Slott wrote in Volume 1 was just disgusting and shouldn't have ever been approved to be printed, this is Spider-Man, not a 90's spawn comic.

And stop killing off innocent young female heroes families. It literally accomplishes nothing positive to any narrative, people who get the book later just don't ever talk about it anyway. Anya never had a tragic backstory until she became Spider-Girl and the first thing they did was kill off her father, whom she had a really close bond with, which was something completely different from most teen heroes. irrc he even knew she was a hero, too which is actually something that isn't done often enough in comics.

Spider-Gwen chat: What point is killing Captain Stacy off going to prove? Her push to become a better hero was already there, as the moment Peter died. That's perfect, she doesn't need anything more. If they drop her in the 616 universe, she has even more motivation to get back home because she misses her real father. That's good, too. Now she has really nothing to go back to. Maybe 616 Mary Jane is slightly different but everything else is kinda the same. The only thing I could think they'd do is introducing Spider-Gwen and having her try and reconnect with a brand-new father who lost his daughter decades ago, and try and fall in love with Peter because why not???

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Space_Butler posted:

So you've forgotten during the whole Superior thing when Slott namesearched himself on twitter just to find people on this very forum saying disparaging things but not directly @-ing him, only to then directly harass them and sic his followers on them?

Obviously anyone who tries to directly get on someone's bad side is being a child either way, but that doesn't excuse him from having done this. There's a reason everyone knows he's a childish troll, and much of it has nothing to do with killing fictional characters.
He did this to Bobkatt, I had to block Dan Slott so he couldn't see my tweets anymore, even though I never @ mentioned him, and I might not have even mentioned him directly by name (iirc we were talking about how bad Superior was)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

And recently it's become clear through Ms. Marvel that those stories are still viable, if done right.
Anya was like that too, until they killed her father and orphaned her. Never underestimate editoria's misguided attempts to "SHAKE THINGS UP FOREVER!"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Anya was always a great character trapped in bad books. Arana was rough, Ms. Marvel had her getting partially depowered and then being made into a teenage mind slave, Spider-Girl had like one good issue. Amazing Spider-Girl and Young Allies weren't bad, though, and Avengers Assemble was the best.

You're right, I don't, but why would it be mandated?
Young Allies had one of the best character moments, with Anya standing in a mirror dancing, posing, and saying "I'm the Goshdarn Spider-Girl"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Anya's pretty much ruined as a character, killing her would be a mercy.
She started off fantastically before becoming Spider-Girl, the two mini's she had were really charming. She was good as Ms. Marvel's side-kick too, you could see her growing up because she had gotten a part-time job. Then she got her on-going series and the team did something really unique with the Twitter-knockoff stuff Marvel and DC always do by actually using Twitter by name, and actually using Twitter to tweet the things she says in the comic, as the writer controlled her twitter and talked to fans. It was a whole lot of fun

Then they decided "Kill her father, she needs an Uncle Ben moment!"

"Red Hulk is really hot right now! Stick him in there too! Oh! And now put her wit Susan Storm!"

None of the guests felt as organic as Ms. Marvel's do now (The Wolverine stuff was really cute)

She fell off for a while until a Spider-Event and she's been on the decline since. The Spider-Island books were good but her character is going the route of so many "Hot new teen-heroes!" before her, with an author really getting the character, having it taken away from them after editorial interference, and then being passed around like a hot potato to people who don't get the character or don't care.

The similar story is Blue Beetle and Solstace post 52 over at DC.

Silk is awful, I'm just waiting for Slott to get bored and someone else take her over and actually write a good story, it's literally happening with every one of Slott's characters.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Silk is Mayday's real mother.

If it were actually as huge as they're claiming then someone on 4Chan would have leaked it already, the guy leaks every major Spider-Man moment like that a day or two before. At best it will be a fakeout, at worst Slott will brutally murder a fan favorite and then pretend to be a victim when people don't like it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Slott thinks "Oh poo poo" and "rage" sells comics. It's his writing style. He's trying to make the dedicated fans so disgusted that they'll buy comics to rage. That doesn't really happen anymore, people just pirate it. Spider-Man and Batman are basically unsinkable, it doesn't matter who writes it or what happens, because they'll still be some of the best selling comics for both companies because of how recognizable they are.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The kind of thing that bothers me about events like this is how this one hero is suddenly the center of the universe, in these universes where there are much more important people on Earth, much less the galaxy and beyond than Peter Parker. Is someone leaping through realities trying to destroy Reed Richards? That's believable. Someone's leaping through reality to regional, mostly street-level vigilante? Why.

And this event continues to show that every idea Dan Slott has is wrote better by someone else in side stories. All the way back starting with Spider Island.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's so much wasted potential with this, like everything Slott does. He really needs to move onto being an Editor and just give better writers cross-over events he wants done, and he can pimp out how cool and awesome they are without being obnoxious and arrogant about it.

For example: Why don't we see Spider-Ock get derailed when he finds a universe where Norman Osbourne has taken over Peter's body and created his own Superior Spider-Man?

e: Real answer, because Doc Ock is Slott's spirit animal and thinks that Ock is the greatest Spider-Man villain of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Actually that isn't true, both in what actually happened and that "OMD/BND" (which one is a very specific story and one is encompassing like 3 years worth of several stories) actually "wiped" anything (it didn't)

Peter stopped teaching after he unmasked. People were protesting outside the school and all kinds of crazy poo poo. Even in the alternate universe where OMD never happened, any principal or superintendent would have some very big issues with Peter because he is either an outlaw or a public superhero who has to make time for his heroics at the drop of a hat.
They probably wouldn't let an open superhero work at their school considering that makes them the easiest target in the world, all things considered.

• Locked thread