Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Flameingblack posted:

It looked like Massacre was pulled right out of a Batman comic during his grittiest, most grimdark era and had the concept with Azreal or Hush as Batman deciding to pull the trigger and kill Joker.
For what it's worth it was Azrael-as-Batman's decision to kill a mass-killing villain named Abbatoir that forced Bruce Wayne to use like Caribbean healing magic/mutant telepathy to come back as Batman.

This is a small thing to complain about, but I found it jarring that in the exact same issue we saw:

a) An explicit statement that Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider "thirteen years ago" (2001)
b) Scenes of a dude filming Spider-Man's first public appearance with his iPhone (2007) to post on YouTube (2005)
c) 80% of the people in that backup were drawn to look straight out of 1961

I get it, and in ten years when they reprint this somewhere it won't matter because everyone would have had streaming video and smartphones "thirteen years ago" but it still struck me as odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Spider-Sense stuff was done in Iron Man's title and not written by JMS.

Actually...

(Amazing Spider-Man 534 by JMS + Ron Garney)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

When Bendis redefined the Avengers to be more of Marvel's version of the JLA, he had me hooked. His reasoning was that "if the Avengers were supposed to be a team made up of Marvel's biggest characters, then where the hell are Wolverine and Spider-Man? Why hasn't anyone done this before, except very briefly in event comics?" So he did it.
I mean, I liked Bendis's New Avengers too, but I still don't understand why this "Marvel's Version of the JLA" thing persists. That's never what the Avengers were, and it wasn't what they were when Bendis took over. Sure, he added Wolverine and Spider-Man who are two of Marvel's biggest properties. He also added Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, Echo, Sentry, and a bunch of other characters who aren't very big at all. But okay, I'm with you so far, Spider-Man joined the Avengers and that's cool.

quote:

He made Spidey an Avenger. While you can certainly be critical of the fact that over the course of that storyline Spidey's usual cast got shafted, the interactions between him and the other Avengers were absolutely wonderful. Add in the fact that Bendis and the other writers (even JMS) started treating Spidey as a Big Gun was great. Honestly, Spidey has teamed up with everyone. He's wicked intelligent, if not exactly in the same league as Banner, Stark, and Reed, he can understand what they're driving towards, and even contribute. He's Been everywhere in the Marvel U. And so the writers called on those experiences to make Spider-Man a fully realized and contributing character. Spider-Man matured in those stories, and took on more power and more responsibility. It was great, and everything I wanted from the character.

Of course, then everything went up poo poo creep=k with OMD and OMIT. Spidey had matured too much, someone decided, and the status quo needed to be reset. Reset all the way back to the 60's, because Geoff John's Disease is communicable and airborne, apparently. And so after that trainwreck Spidey was given to Slott, who had his own designs on the character that didn't involve him being an Avenger so much?
You're conflating the better part of a decade of comcis with a lot of moving parts into a MARVEL IS loving SPIDEY thesis. JMS had the reins on Spider-Man from 2001 to 2007, and pretty much ignored any established characters who weren't May or Mary Jane for the length of that. New Avengers didn't even launch until the summer of 2005, so I don't see how there can really be any correlation between "Spider-Man as an Avenger" and "Spider-Man's Supporting Cast Being Neglected".

quote:

Some of this can probably be traced back to the movies, honestly. Well, not so much the movies as the movie rights. Marvel has become more of a movie company than a comic book company now - as well as a story-and-character-IP warehouse, which is why Disney gobbled them up. Marvel has full rights to the Avengers, which is making them a lot of money. Sony has the Spider-Man movie rights, which Marvel probably earns much fewer dollars from. Therefore, why would you want to cross-contaminate the franchise you make a hell of a lot off of with what amounts to a competitor's franchise? Better to remove Spidey from the Avengers and give him his own corner of the Marvel universe, where he can't get in the way of your own movie juggernauts.
Also I mean, most of what you're talking about happened before any of this was a concern.
Joe Quesada became editor-in-chief of Marvel in 2000, and wanted to "put the genie back in the bottle" w/r/t Spider-Man more or less from the start.
The first Spider-Man movie came out in 2000 too.
Marvel sued Sony over not being given proper compensation over Spider-Man movies in 2003.
Spider-Man joined the Avengers in 2005.
One More Day was 2007.
The first Marvel Studios movie was 2008.
Disney bought Marvel in 2009.
Spider-Man was "forced out" of the Avengers due to Superior Spider-Man in 2013.
Spider-Man is back on the Avengers as of 2014.

This is an oversimplification and correlation does not equal causation, but you don't even have correlation right now. Dan Slott, as dumb as his run is, is pretty constantly referencing the fact that Spider-Man is an Avenger and tight with the Fantastic Four and Wolverine and Thor and Captain America and Iron Man and all the female superheroes want to sleep with him and he's really pretty rad. In fact, half of the time Spider-Man's villains will punk out the Avengers and Spider-Man has to save the world. Amazingly, Siege is like the one time where Spider-Man needs help to defeat his super badass world-beating hardcore villains, most of the time it's Hulk and Iron Man crawling to Peter's door going "DOC OCK IS JUST TOO MUCH FOR US, SAVE US STUD"

I also don't really see why you're so proprietary over Spider-Man villains either. Did Frank Miller poaching Kingpin for Daredevil piss you off? Is there an Iron Man fan out there who can't believe that he got loving JOBBED OUT LIKE A JOBBER GEEK in Infinity Gauntlet even though he's an Iron Man villain? There are hundreds of issues of Punisher that don't even MENTION Spider-Man.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 10, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

To use a snapshot of a year or two after DC did their first Crisis reboot and a young E&C had just started reading comics:

At this point in late 1987/early 1988:

Spider-Man had recently been killed by Kraven and revived and had just married Mary Jane. He'd been wearing the black costume primarily for about four years.

The Avengers were led by Monica Rambeau and had Black Knight, Namor, and Doctor Druid as prominent members.

Angel was dead. The rest of the founding X-Men were pretending to be bigoted mutant hunters. Xavier was in space. Magneto ran Xavier's school and the main X-Men were about to 'die' and start living secretly in Australia.

Daredevil was going to die in a few months.

Steve Rogers had been stripped of his title, so the new Captain America was a crazy Reaganite jingoistic thug. The Red Skull was dead, so the Serpent Society were Cap's new archvillains.

Reed and Sue had retired from superheroing to raise Franklin, so the NEW Fantastic Four was Thing, Torch, Crysal and Ms. Marvel. This was awkward because Johnny and Crystal were A Thing but Johnny was married to Alicia Masters and Crystal was married to Quicksilver. Next month Thing mutates into a spike monster.

Tony Stark had just reclaimed the Iron Man armor/title from James Rhodes, and was poised to go on a rampage taking back his armor technology from various rogue elements who had stolen it. He'll end up seemingly killing some folks doing it and will spend a fair amount of time estranged from his Avengers buddies. Oh and then next year he'll get shot in the spine by a stalker and be stuck in a wheelchair for a year or so.

Hulk is back to being gray and "Mister Fixit" and Rick Jones got hit with a second gamma bomb and can turn into a Hulk now and it turns out there's a whole town of weird gamma people.

That's what Marvel looked like 25 years ago when I started reading comics, and with all those BIG CHANGES people thought they might 'pull a Crisis' then too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Suben posted:

Well minis don't really seem to exist anymore for Marvel beyond the rare one here or there. They seem to like going the "maxi-series disguised as an ongoing unless it does well" route.
Generally mini-series sell worse than ongoing series from day one (outside of event ones obviously) so given the market it makes a perverse amount of sense to announce ongoings even if the internal expectation is that it will be a six issue mini-series and if the sales are better than expected, keep it going.

I don't have actual figures in front of me, but I know that even by issue 6 or 12 most terrible selling series featuring C-List characters usually find themselves dipping just slightly below 10k (or maybe 8500k) by the end of their runs, while a lot of mini-series end up closer to 5,000 by the finish. To use one month at random, October 2009:
code:
Uncanny X-Force		1	95,639	
New Avengers			5	73,409	
Avengers			6	73,258	
Secret Avengers			6	68,617	
X-Men				4	63,772	
Wolverine			2	63,210	
Uncanny X-Men			529	62,256	
Amazing Spider-Man		646	58,125	
Amazing Spider-Man		645	56,709	
Thor				616	51,051	
Ultimate Comics Thor		1	49,747	MINI
Captain America			611	48,788	
X-Men Legacy			241	48,133	
Carnage				1	47,452	MINI
Shadowland			4	46,411	MINI
Invincible Iron Man		31	45,507	
Daredevil			511	43,167	
Hulk				26	42,934	
New Ultimates			4	42,876	
Fantastic Four			584	41,163	
Incredible Hulks		614	39,572	
Daken Dark Wolverine		2	38,660	
Ultimate Avengers 3		3	38,529	MINI
Incredible Hulks		615	36,750	
X-23				2	35,280	
Deadpool			28	34,828	
Ultimate Spider-Man		15	34,657	
Chaos War			1	34,509	MINI
Steve Rogers Super-Sol.		4	32,967	MINI
Shield				4	32,495	
Avengers Academy		5	31,272	
Thunderbolts			149	30,580	
Thanos Imperative		5	29,614	MINI
Chaos War			2	29,375	MINI
Deadpoolmax			1	29,176	
X-Factor			210	27,548	
New Mutants			18	27,027	
Secret Warriors			21	24,728	
Shadowland Spider-Man		1	24,583	ONE-SHOT
Thor For Asgard			3	23,724	MINI
X-Men Curse of Mutants		2	23,362	MINI
Ultimate Comics Mystery		4	23,334	MINI
Invaders Now			2	21,137	MINI
Loki				1	21,095	MINI
Deadpool Corps			7	19,644	
Deadpool Team-Up		888	18,394	
Shadowland Moon Knight		3	18,318	MINI
Klaws of Panther		1	16,973	MINI
Deadpool Pulp			2	16,782	MINI
Black Widow			7	16,653	
Shadowland Blood On Streets	3	16,396	MINI
Thor First Thunder		2	16,126	MINI
Hawkeye & Mockingbird		5	15,337	
Shadowland Power Man		3	15,147	MINI
Punisher Max Tiny Ugly World	1	15,071	ONE-SHOT
I Am An Avenger			2	14,882	MINI
Iron Man Legacy			7	14,882	
Taskmaster			2	14,553	MINI
ASM Presents Black Cat		4	14,478	MINI
Avengers & Infinity Gauntlet	3	13,796	MINI
Spider-Man Vs Vampires		1	13,395	ONE-SHOT
Klaws of Panther		2	12,960	MINI
Incredible Hulks Enigma Force	2	12,634	MINI
X-Men Forever 2			9	12,260	
X-Men Forever 2			10	12,064	
Captain America Patriot		3	11,959	MINI
New Mutants Forever		3	11,910	MINI
Strange Tales 2			1	11,800	MINI
Iron Man Titanium		1	11,333	ONE-SHOT
Young Allies			5	11,265	
Fantastic Four Ataque Del Modok	1	11,187	ONE-SHOT
Spider-Man Fantastic Four	4	11,019	MINI
Captain America Forever Allies	3	10,813	MINI
Thor Mighty Avenger		5	9,673	MINI
Spider-Man Back In Quack	1	9,262	ONE-SHOT
Avengers Vs Pet Avengers	1	7,097	MINI
Granted, some of these sold terribly because of the low-profile characters and creators involved, or because they had the death-knell NOT REALLY IN CURRENT CONTINUITY flag on them (Thor: TMA, Iron Man Legacy, a lot of the minis) but look at the difference in sales between Captain America and Steve Rogers, Super Soldier. They're both written by Ed Brubaker and both tie into Brubaker's overall big successful Captain America saga, but the one labeled a mini-series sold 16,000 fewer copies.

Dan Slott, who at this point had been announced as the sole Spider-Man writer and had been part of the "braintrust" writing Amazing Spider-Man for the past few years wrote a Shadowland one-shot starring Spider-Man and it sold less than half of what the regular ASM book did.

They managed to get marginal bumps in Black Panther's numbers by renaming it DOOMWAR for a six issue mini, but when they relaunched a new Black Panther (mini) a month later it dropped at least eight thousand orders from Doomwar, and Klaws of the Panther #1 actually got almost 2,000 orders fewer than the last issue of the Black Panther ongoing that ended earlier in 2010, with the same creative team.

They kept trying to give books like Atlas and Incredible Hercules a boost with "series of mini-series" and pseudo-events but beyond a first issue bump or two (usually assisted by a bunch of variant covers) both series invariably ended up in worse shape by the end of each mini-round.

Anthologies forever sell for poo poo too, so really the best thing they can do is just throw out a series as a NEW ONGOING. Sometimes they'll stick, other times they won't, but it can't be any worse than soliciting minis.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I've read maybe half a dozen comics with Spider-Girl in them ever, but Spider-Girl (for a long time) had a small but loyal fanbase that kept the sales chugging along at a profitable level for years. I always got the impression it was a self-indulgent cul de sac for Tom DeFalco, but it was also a straightforward throwback-to-Silver-Age non-bloody self-contained superhero book through a period without many of those at all. Plus it had a female lead. This seems like a surefire path to a devoted cult following, and while it wasn't for me I say good for all parties who ran that formula until the wheels fell off.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Not McKeever. Not after his own super hissy fit about being pulled away from his characters in Onslaught Unleashed. I don't trust that guy at all.
I guess I missed this, what was the hissyfit?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Essentially erasing Rikki out of existence and having Toro go away forever because he wouldn't get to write them anymore.
surprised he didn't have Gravity just spontaneously combust too.
Huh. That is not what I thought you meant, I thought he railed against Marvel editorial or something (which is what people were accusing DeFalco of doing even though he didn't do it either to my memory).

But reading a summary of the series it sounds kind of like... wrapping up his plotlines? Where he also left openings for either character to return? Maybe it feels more like a "super hissy fit" if you were reading it as it came out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

The costume is boring but Jessica Drew is boring and only stays around through a grandfather character clause so it works.
I mean, Jessica Drew was gone (or at least not Spider-Woman) from 1985 to 2005, and appeared as a depowered Jessica Drew for basically twenty years. Bendis brought her back in New Avengers. There was a whole weird period under Shooter of depowering/writing out or replacing a bunch of b-list characters (Iron Fist, Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, Richard Ryder Nova, Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel, bringing in new Captain Marvels and Warlocks after Starlin killed them off, eliminating all vampires, etc.) in the early-mid 1980s. The new regime brought practically everyone back by 1992 or so, with the exception of putting Jessica Drew back in the suit.

Though at this point (with some cosmetic changes) literally everyone I mentioned in that parenthetical is back except Mar-Vell (who they tease every 18 months or so) and Richard Ryder, who I am sure will be back eventually. So maybe she is grandfathered in circa 2014. None of the other Spider-Woman/Spider-Girls seem to have stuck in the ensuing three decades.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Nobody died in this issue.
I mean, Knight Spider-Man got his chest punched through and some sort of Spider-Monkey (but maybe not THE Spider-Monkey) got his head ripped in half and a Spider-Lady wearing no pants all got murdered by the Morlun Family, but no one who mattered, yes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Nevvy Z posted:

That would explain a lot about what MM and Doom are up to.

It's real, and even though it has been politely ignored by pretty much everyone (like so much of Steve Englehart's 1980s output) there's a non-zero chance Hickman will bring it up, since he apparently read every issue of FF in preparation for his run on it, and pulled some deep cuts like the Dark Rider out of that. Though never as quite as big a plot point as this.

To clarify what actually happened, Doom dragged everyone into one more plot to try to steal the Beyonder's POWER COSMIC for himself, but then KUBIK turned up, who was a lanky alien who hatched out of a Cosmic Cube. It turns out that Cosmic Cubes are just baby Cosmic Being Eggs(?), and they eventually hatch into superpeople(???) but somewhere down the line a cube got damaged and it split in half to form Molecule Man and Beyonder(???). So Kubik suggests the two of them give up their individual flawed personalities and combine back into a Cube(????). They agree(??????) And that Cube then immediately matures and hatches into a cosmic lady(??????) names Kosmos, and Kosmos floats off into space.

Literally the only other appearances Kosmos makes are in a series of three short FF Annual back-ups and an inventory story published over the course of five years. Turns out all of them were written by Len Kaminski, I could've sworn it was Englehart.

Then I guess this happened in the early Giffen era of current Cosmic Marvel?

quote:

The Cube removed its components from Reece, expelled him back to Earth, and evolved into Kosmos, taking a female form in hopes of avoiding the violent tendencies of its past incarnation. Kubik tutored Kosmos in the nature of humanity and the universe, exploring the Celestials and other cosmic entities, as well as performing experiments on the Fantastic Four. After Reece, who had managed to restore his powers, lost his lover, he went mad and assaulted Kosmos, drawing out the essence of the Beyonder and attacking it. Reece nearly destroyed the Beyonder, but Kubik, who was actually falling in love with Kosmos, convinced Reece to restore the Beyonder’s essence to Kosmos to save her life.
Kubik and Kosmos parted ways under unrevealed circumstances, and the Beyonder’s personality sought dominance over Kosmos. She somehow became mortal but her diminished capacities and heightened sensations drove her mad. After slaughtering 64,000 Shi’ar colonists, she was incapacitated by the Imperial Guard telepath Oracle and placed in stasis in the Kyln space prison. Now known as the Maker, she regained consciousness but has only fragments of memory. She caused great chaos in the Kyln until subdued by Thanos and his new ally Skreet. Realizing that slaying Kosmos would unleash the Beyonder on the universe, Thanos shut down her mind but arranged to have her body kept alive forever via neurology-exempt nanocellular regeneration, serving as a living prison to the mad omnipotent within her.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My roommate's entire comic book reading experience is basically Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes, James Kochalka, Kate Beaton, random other indie books, and about half of the Invisibles, but she pays attention to the Internet and likes sci-fi/fantasy television and film and she is familiar with the term "fridging" and has used it to describe the treatment of female characters in fiction outside of superhero comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Doctor Octopus decided he needed to take over a younger Parker to allow him more time to prove himself the SUPERIOR Spider-Person.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I've noticed this with a lot of books/characters/fandoms in comics recently, there is a very simple rule of "publishers should put out the books I like but not the books I don't like" which is a perfectly valid desire for every individual. It's when someone decides they don't like something, it can very easily turn into a weird Catch-22. (This applies only for comics declared bad, usually in about two sentences)

First off, if you're bringing back a character someone else created, you'd better not! Why are you stealing your better's creation, and either loving IT ALL UP by altering something, or just doing a cheap hack ripoff of the original? Ugh!

On the other hand, God help you if you create a new legacy character to fill a similar niche/name. Why are you ignoring the earlier, better character? Why are you giving a giant gently caress you to me, the guy who liked the other character better? Where do you get off, thinking you can create a new version of a character?

And if you create a wholly new character... what sort of Mary Sue self-insert chump motherfucker are YOU? You have the gall to think your 'original character' has any place in this book? You think anyone wants to use your garbage ideas? Stick to writing things you already know work, champ. Except don't do that either.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 21, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sine I'm probably the main offender here (sorry for that-I tend to get overly invested in C-and D-listers) I feel I should make some counterpoints.

I think I should start with where I'm coming from. Basically, I believe any character can be a good character given the opportunity). So event comics where they kill off or otherwise mess with established characters just to get people rage buying is my personal bugbear.
To be clear I don't really like that either, I am ride-or-die for a whole ton of suspect characters, and if anything my biggest thing is that in general characters are pretty durable, in the sense that if someone comes along and really wants to bring a character back to their roots or revamp them in a good way or do whatever else, it will probably happen. Luke Cage was a jokey afterthought for close to twenty years before Bendis decided he really liked writing Luke Cage. If that character can come through the other side of people (still) mainly thinking of him as a Sweet Christmasing "where's my money honey" blaxpoitation buffoon, all of everyone's favorite characters -- from Mayday Parker to Chemistro to Hazmat to Speedball to Turner D. Century will eventually have their moment in the sun. I had pretty much given up on Monica Rambeau being anything but a source of yuks at her own expense from Warren Ellis, but now we have Mighty Avengers.

quote:

a) The issue isn't usually just using a character someone else created, it's doing it badly.
Right, and one man's trash is another man's treasure or whatever other canard you want to throw around. I have always loved Hawkeye, and I don't think Matt Fraction (or many other people in the past fifteen years) have done a very good job of writing Hawkeye to actually you know, be Hawkeye. He's a goofball with bows and arrows who is in some very pretty and sometimes entertaining comics, but he's not really Hawkeye. I don't think many writers or editors exist (though a few do) who set out to go "heh heh heh wait til those fans see how I gently caress up and totally mischaracterize Wyatt Wingfoot!" so I don't really see how this is any sort of guideline for creators. "Don't do a bad job" is really only advice if you think people are trying to do a bad job.

[quote[b) I have no problem with legacies-Jaime Reyes is my Blue Beetle, for one thing. But while they did very much make Jaime his own character, they still acknowledge both Dan & Ted's legacies. If they just shove a new character into a role and shove their predecessor into either the fridge or limbo, that just raises the question of why you don't just make an original character (other than leeching off the name recognition). That's how we wound up with three Spider-Women.[/quote]The only reason there's a Spider-Woman to begin with is because they had to shove a new character into the role of "Spider-Woman" and trademark it so CBS couldn't do a "Spider-Woman" TV show without paying Marvel anything. There were practically three different versions of Spider-Woman before they even settled on Jessica Drew in the status quo people are vaguely familiar with. Sometimes a character is shoved into a role because the corporation needs someone to have that name. It used to be that you could do that without worrying too much about how everything connected together like a James Burke special, but now it's basically expected. Jay Garrick and Barry Allen didn't really have anything to do with each other, Mar-Vell and Monica Rambeau came up with their names independently, and neither would have ever existed if someone didn't gently caress up and not renew Billy Batson's trademark.

Obviously having problems with how these things are handled are fine, and honestly you weren't the main offender here. It's more the sort of reflexive/tautological "This is a bad story because it hosed up this character" "How?" "The character got hosed up by appearing in a bad story" "What made the story bad?" "Um, because it hosed up this character?" fastpost stuff that bothers me, combined with the absolute explosion of cavalierly tossing around Mary Sue and fanfiction for anything resembling new characters with the rationale of "well I hear this book sucked and had a new character in it so um, DONUT STEEL SELF-INSERT MARY SUE UGH"

Again, no matter how much I disagree with someone, I think it's great for them to love/hate what they like so long as they just don't post "well no that sucks. because it sucks. you may think it doesn't suck, but it sucks. so therefore it sucks."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 22, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bizarro is a cute idea but it's hard to figure out the right level of "opposite". I remember Loeb's Superman/Batman being particularly egregious with "Not-Me No-Am Not-Not A Uncowardly and Not Unsuperstitious Anti-Lot, Not-You-Me Unshall no unbecome Not A Bat Not No"

"Don't not unlook! Down not in the unsky! It no is not a landbird! Not unairunplane! It not am not am actually unnot UnSuperNotMan!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Guys, what if Bendis just takes the script for his Moon Knight series a few years ago and just writes IRON MAN over all of the pages and turns it in? I can't believe Bendis thinks Iron Man and Moon Knight as the same character. loving Bendis.

Also I hear he thinks Iron Man's real name is Tony Starks. IT'S TONY STARK BENDIS GET YOUR LAZY STUPID HEAD IN THE loving GAME, ALL WRITING STARKS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I also hear Bendis didn't even know Iron Man was an Avenger until last week. BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS YOUR IRON MAN BOOK IS A LAZY, POORLY RESEARCHED PIECE OF poo poo THAT DOESN'T EVEN REFERENCE THE HUNDREDS OF poo poo rear end AVENGERS COMICS YOU YOURSELF WROTE, YOU LAZY HACK, IRON MAN WAS IN THE AVENGERS A WHOLE LOT YOU DUMBO. JESUS.

Can't believe how bad Bendis's Iron Man series has been.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

KittyEmpress posted:

Edge are you okay, are you having a mental breakdown spanning through multiple threads? It'll be alright. Don't worry.
I got tired of reading comics or knowing facts and am just trying to fit in.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

In fact I'll bet at least one person reading this post had forgotten he was alive again.
I was making a list a year or two ago of how long character deaths actually last (and how Jean Grey has currently been dead for twice as long as she was the first time) and I actually listed Harry Osborn as being dead from 1993-2014 or whatever until someone corrected me. I probably would have been that person had it not been for that.

Also, a reminder that Jeph Loeb (who I guess was piping up because he has/had a vaporware Spider-Man book with J. Scott Campbell in the works since 2006) wanted them to bring back Harry AND Gwen.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mark Waid didn't join the whole "Brand New Day" "Braintrust" until well after it launched. The original four writers were Dan Slott, Marc Guggenheim, Zeb Wells, and Bob Gale. Their first issue was in December 2007, and Waid (and Joe Kelly) didn't really come on until the very end of 2008 as Gale (and to a lesser extent Wells) faded off.

Even then, Joe Quesada had made the decision and wrote One More Day to eliminate the marriage before any of those guys got involved. Slott/Guggenheim/Wells/Gale (and Jeph Loeb and I think the summit crew in general) may have had some inputs about secondary decisions (bring Harry back, don't bring Gwen back, go back to mechanical webshooters, whatever) but even then, that was all a year/thirty+ issues in the rear-view by the time Waid signed up.

And yeah, the Morrison/Millar/Waid/Peyer "Superman 2000" pitch had a section about their plans to (at least temporarily) reverse the Lois/Clark marriage. You can read the whole thing here. Or right above this post!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Exiles was originally "it's Blink who everyone remembers from Age of Apocalypse and Morph who everyone remembers from the 1990s cartoon and Thunderbird and Mimic, the Dead X-Men!" and leaned on people caring about those characters from previous works as much as anything.

That said, they should probably kill off the entire team because who cares?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

It also poo poo all over bringing Mysterio back.
Please explain.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I had just nearly forgotten Mysterio was ever dead and I'm not sure how this comic poo poo on that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

A false flag operation to scuttle any further comedy or diversity-focused books?

(I will never stop laughing that somone actually suggested that)
Thank you for reminding me that this was a sincere position someone angrily took.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Tato posted:

I agree that starting a book off as part of a crossover is not a good move, especially when a character is C-D tier. Spider-Woman did the same thing with Spider Verse and didn't improve until it relaunched with an actual premise.
I mean, are you calling the fifth issue of the 2015 series (where they ditched Land and the old costume for Javier Rodriguez and the new costume) a relaunch or do you mean the new #1 after Secret Wars? Because if you like the current series, you should totally go back and read #5-10 of the 2015 series by the same team that sets up all of the stuff with Ben Urich and Porcupine and is also really good.

Though this is more an illustration of how renumbering mid-run is dumb, it's easy to forget that the revamp/"relaunch" happened several months before the arbitrary-in-retrospect renumbering/"relaunch".

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

So what was Jackal's master plan? Just "make everyone Carrion zombies because I love death"?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Can anyone explain Norman Osborn's master plan or even general motivations in ASM?

1) Norman Osborn was outed as the Green Goblin and a super criminal, so he goes into hiding.

2) Because he is a super criminal, he needs to take on a new identity so no one suspects he is a super criminal while he's running drugs and weapons in a criminal enterprise.

3) In order to keep anyone from knowing he's the Green Goblin, one of the main things he is smuggling as an anonymous criminal is Goblin Bombs.

4) Further, to keep a low profile while he's illegally selling Goblin Bombs to people, the identities he steals are those of other infamous criminals.

5) Oh yeah also even though he has all sorts of super advanced technology and has personally used holograms before and frequently employs a technology/power based master of disguise, he goes through agonizing Face Off plastic surgery every time he wants to swap identities.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There are technically two Oxes (Oxen?) the original one who died in a 1970s Daredevil comic, then his brother who showed up a few years later and did the whole "I'm going to honor my brother's memory by dressing just like him and joining his gang and you can all just call me Ox" thing. Years later the first Ox was brought back in Howard Mackie Spider-Man (he didn't explode, or maybe he exploded but got better) and ever since then it's not really clear if anyone realizes there are two Oxen out there.

Anyway, one Ox showed up in Spider-Man/Deadpool and got killed.
Montana got killed off early on in Slott's Spider-Man BIG TIME run, but both Montana and an Ox were shown to be back in THE CLONE CONSPIRACY and presumably turned into Carrion zombies and then clone dust by the end of the story, but you never know...

Meanwhile, no one is stupid enough to kill off a legend like Fancy Dan. Then again, when he shows up in Villain Crowd Scenes (most prominently/recently in the Civil War II Kingpin mini and Uncanny Avengers when they go to Bagalia) he never really does anything, but he's also flanked by a Montana and an Ox. Maybe Fancy Dan's fanciness extends to having a really specific dress code/skillset for his partners. Maybe there have been DOZENS of Oxen and Montanas and he gets really weird about having them dress just so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhino is comfortably 1960s, he first appeared in ASM #41 in August 1966. He's post-Ditko so some sticklers would put him outside of the "original classic" Spider-Man villains, or in some sort of "the 1960s didn't start until 1965" style sliding cultural timescale, though. If we're going by cover date, the "last 1960s Spider-Man villain" was Prowler, or if we're going by on-sale date, Kangaroo just barely sneaks in.

• Locked thread