Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some dude just bought twenty copies of Amazing #1. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm gonna go to Ebay and be rich, I tell ya! rich!

Not if I beat him to it!

I mean, it's still in stock at Diamond. I can get 100 copies right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

JMS did a lot of stupid stuff but he also did a lot of really good stuff. It was never going to last but "Peter becomes a teacher" is by far and away the most appealing 'job' Peter has ever had as a character, I think, if not from a logical perspective than just a "this makes sense for where the character will end up" perspective.

Agreed. You know where his run went awry? When JR Jr left. That's when poo poo went off the rails.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Learning to Crawl is going to be such a huge loving failure. It's not sell worth a poo poo anywhere that I've seen. It's literally the book nobody asked for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We ordered equal copies of LTC #1 as we did ASM #1 because of a massive incentive from Diamond and Marvel because they knew nobody would buy that poo poo otherwise. I sold out of ASM in 3 days. And 30 additional copies over the next week. We've sold TWO copies of LTC #1. Sadly due to the incentive we can't cut our order on #2 but with #3 we're down to 5 copies for the whole store. Not a single preorder on it.

gently caress that comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

So long as Spider-Ham pulls through, we'll be okay.

Motherfucker's getting turned into sandwiches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Gwen will obviously be ported over to 616 where she will be horrifically injured and die in Peter's arms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet it's gonna end up being the Gwen Stacy Spider-woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Having read exactly zero of Spider-Girl or MC2 at all, maybe it was just the universe in general? I mean, the concept of reading a Marvel universe that has actually advanced in time (that isn't just a brief mini/one-storyline-glimpse into the future) is interesting to me. I read the wikipedia article on Spider-Girl and I thought the concept of Peter giving up the hero game after losing a leg was neat.

It was a great concept. The execution was pretty terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Why couldn't Bendis and Maleev just stayed on and given us Spider-Woman: Alien Hunter.

Because nobody bought the book outside of BSS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh.

That's...kind of annoying, actually.

Is it something I should skip?

Yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Windows 98 posted:

Bought a grab box of 70+ comics off of eBay for dirt cheap and they came in today. This was in the box. A Spider-Man #1 signed by Todd McFarlane, including a letter of authenticity. Sweet digs.

I will give you $1 and this half eaten twinkie sitting on my desk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

That spider armor showed up in regular continuity as well, it was made out of hardened webbing derivative a worn for a single issue then Peter purposefully broke it by flexing (yes flexing) and revealed he was wearing a regular suit beneath it. That's "Here's you loving toy tie in you dicks!" in writer speak.

It had little molded spiders on the knuckles. I hated that suit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh my God what.

Really?

What issue was that in? That sounds like a bad cosplay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. I just remembered something gross but funny that my friend said about that book back when it came out but I'm trying to behave myself right now. But I can lead you all in that direction.

"Hardened webbing-agent."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TLG James posted:

I thought the Spider that bite Parker was eaten by some bully?

Tangled Web was a great series. But I guess it can bite twice before becoming a snack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Just because the name Slott is on the cover doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

I could type 10,000 words to the contrary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

Remember how Spider-Girl was supposed to be set in an alternate present and then thirty+ year old Arana shows up out of nowhere as a villain (hint: the reason is because DeFalco hates the character)

In fact there's a legend that Arana was supposed to launch as Spider-Girl and DeFalco threw a hissy fit about it and got his way, just like he did constantly for like ten years.

Alternate present? Full of aged versions of dozens of Marvel characters? It was always laid out as a future from what I recall.

And the second part is no legend, that was fairly well known.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read any MC2, but that's any easy case to make, just start with the idea that Peter Parker was 15 in the 60's, which he was when he was created, then 30-40 years later he's aged in normal time and has a teenage child.

The book is a What If that pins directly out of the Clone Saga and heavily references it throughout it's run. The most 90's of 90's crossovers spawned the series. It was never an alternate present.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

Don't blame me that's what DeFalco insisted on!

Well he's dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Man, whatever. Alpha became interesting with the right creative team,

When did this happen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

Fialkov wrote a mini where he started to get his powers back. It was kinda fun.

Yeah, I read it. Interesting didn't happen in any of those pages.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Death of Jean DeWolff is easily one of the best Spider-man stories ever written. Although when Peter David returned to Spider-man decades later with Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man, it was loving awful.

Because they dumped a string of stupid mandated event bullshit right in his lap. He had to write around the Other, Civil War, and Back in Black. I remember reading where the book was basically being directed by his editor and he never got to really delve into the plot he has planned from the beginning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'll believe it. But I doubt his editor made him include the Hobgoblin of 2299.

It probably wouldn't have been as bad if he wasn't dancing around the Civil War bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Norman showing up with the Infinity Gauntlet would be 1000% better than anything Slott has come up with thus far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now I want Hickman to take over ASM and do what he did with Doom to Norman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Osborne the master villain is really boring. I hate the direction his character has taken for the last decade or two.

What I mean is, force him and Peter together the way Doom joined the Future Foundation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just tired of how Norman's been written since Dark Reign ended. Look at what DC is doing with Luthor right now, something interesting for the first time in 10 years. Marvel could learn from that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm not making any accusations, but before Dan Slott started writing Spider-Man I had 2 cats, and since then one of them was hit by a car. Pretty big coincidence if you ask me.

That SON OF A BITCH.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So aside from yellow lenses that looks nothing like the Arana costume. At all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody would know who the gently caress Spider-woman is if Bendis didn't have a huge crush on her.

She'd be like, Shroud obscure.

Pretty much. It didn't help that her first in costume appearance was drawn by David Finch either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

So buy it! When I was a kid I'd try to buy first appearance comics of characters I like or just fill out backissues of my favorite comics. I think I spent like $50 for the Sword of Azrael series because I liked him and liked Joe Quesada's art. That was a lot for a kid!

That series is still awesome.

WHAT?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's stupid. Why is Peter Spider-man? an alternate Uncle Ben shows up on the last page.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I figured out Slott's endgame.

Little Benjy, Mayday's younger brother is going to be flung back in time and become 616 Ben Parker. That's why they want him so badly. If they can destroy him, nobody teaches the "real" Peter about power & responsibility and thus destroying his history.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hobie was pretty great when he was doing the "tech guy" thing. He built the Hornet suit for Peter and was fixing street level hero's gear. I'm surprised he hasn't ended up in Mighty Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope the next version of Peter involves him growing a neckbeard and wearing a Spider-fedora.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

"Welcome to my world of Spider-Atheism, feminazis!"

"My Aspergers-Sense is tingling!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Knight and how dare you defame her character good Sir."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't believe MJ put me in the friendzone after that deal with satan.

And then Aunt May made me move out of the basement just because she found a new boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Knowing Slott I'm sure he'll find a way to keep his self-insert character around and coexist with Peter.

• Locked thread