Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Characterization over the years pushed Felicia away from that, though.

Though I think they made her forget he was Peter at all when they did the remasking thing, so of course it had to go back and ignore the character growth in favor of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Gwen needs to be put into 616 immediately. That costume is awesome.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

There is going to be so goddamn many dead Spider-Men by the end of this.

So long as Spider-Ham pulls through, we'll be okay.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Temper your enthusiasm with the knowledge that all of these cool designs will be largely drawn by loving Ramos.

Not that one though! That'll be by Robbi Rodriguez.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Gwen's Peter died in a similar fashion to 616 Pete before she hooked up with party-boy Flash Thompson. So, you get this situation where Peter and Gwen are basically finding alternate versions of themselves who are mutually more capable of protecting themselves against supervillains.

I mean, at the very least, it's predetermined that Spider-Gwen's Pete is dead and her dad was probably her Ben as well.

Nope! There's an interview on Marvel's site about it. It sounds pretty awesome.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/6/10/22663/on_the_edge_of_spider-verse_spider-woman

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Land's last output was a lot better than what he had been doing. So maybe he's giving up the obvious tracing!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope we get a Venom drive-by honking too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Newspaper Spider-Man is going to appear to save the day, then get taken out by a brick.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-Gwen has way too much positive response to be disposed of. Marvel will find some way to feature her more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wouldn't immediately assume it would be bad just because Hopeless is writing her. Cable and X-Force was fun, so maybe he'll go that way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey, remember that Spider-Man cartoon with Iceman and Firestar you probably saw as a kid that was light-hearted? Know how it ends? The characters get brutally murdered and their pet howls in despair.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Christos Gage is probably who you should thank for the Ms. Marvel part. And that twitter poo poo is terrible. Time to not pay for a Slott book ever again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I think that Slott goes to the Stan Lee school of working people up in a frenzy in his books so they keep reading (which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right) but I don't think he sat there and changed his username and picture while laughing going "hahahaha that'll show people who liked an old cartoon" while twirling a mustache like he's being painted.

Like that was his username before the book came out, he just changed the avatar, which as he's done for the last few years will be changed again when the next issue comes out.

So Dan Slott didn't know what his own book would contain and it was just a coincidence that he changed his name to that and then chose that specific avatar while going on Twitter and insulting people getting mad about the content? That's your defense here?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And you can compare Hickman to this when he shows the Cabal brutally murdering the Super Hero Squad universe while they laugh about how innocent the place is. Until then, nope.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

EDIT: Just read Edge of Spider-Verse; SP//dr is one cool idea. I don't care much about anime, but Evangelion inspired Spider-Girl with Anime Daredevil as sidekick is very interesting concept. I fear that the more interesting Spider-People are gonna end up eaten by Morlun and we'll lose out on very cool concepts

I'd say SP//dr is safe because of Gerard Way and Marvel would love to have him do more for them, so wouldn't kill off the first character he created for them. And we know Spider-Gwen is safe too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nice mom pants, MJ.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a crime Coipel is being wasted on Slott. His art is so goddamned good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slott is trying so hard to make Ham his very own Rocket Raccoon.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haven't seen her. Though it's probably for the best if you have alternate versions that you are fond of not being used. Like we haven't seen Earth X Peter and Mayday. Or Spider-Phoenix.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Earth X Mayday is part of Kang's gang.

Yeah, but she's not in this event so far. Which means no slaughter for the sake of it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dan Slott didn't draw Mayday like that. That's all Coipel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So we know Captain Universe Spidey will probably die because that'll be the old "oh poo poo we're doomed!" moment, but I'd really laugh if then Spider-Phoenix came out and wiped out Morlun and company in one panel.

Then brings every Spider back to life.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's who we thought it was, but Slott is throwing a CURVE BALL and saying his identity is a secret.

Which means it's Uncle Ben and his death will spurn our Peter on to victory.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure they can't kill off Newspaper Spider-Man because it's still being published. Not that Slott decided he couldn't do it. Same way they won't kill off the animated Spider-Man in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Didn't that series also have the weird time traveling Uncle Ben or something? That was really bad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Avenging story with Captain America was fantastic. So were the Captain Marvel team-up issues.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, it definitely feels like they're "Batgirling" her up. It's a good design though, even if I agree that it doesn't seem like something Jessica would wear.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

My LCS has a Spider Man #1 (black and gold version) CGC 9.4 for $100 and I can't tell you how badly I want to buy that because I love the cover of that book.

So buy it! When I was a kid I'd try to buy first appearance comics of characters I like or just fill out backissues of my favorite comics. I think I spent like $50 for the Sword of Azrael series because I liked him and liked Joe Quesada's art. That was a lot for a kid!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

I'm curious as to why you chose Prowler to be Spider-Man in that universe. It was a neat little twist.

I can't really picture an angry young youth Peter Parker. Or Peter bashing someone's brains out with a guitar. But Hobie? Yeah, no problem.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, as much as I adore Hickman's writing, I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for Spider-Man. Like, at all.

Did you read FF at all?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Slott didn't try Spider-Verse back then-he's a fan of Doctor Who, and teaming up multiple incarnations of the character for anniversary specials is a cherished Doctor Who tradition.

I guess maybe it would have trodden on Spider-Men a bit though.

He wanted to do Spider-Verse back then, but Alonso said that it needed to be a Peter Parker story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought the 50th anniversary/Alpha took place before Superior kicked off?

Yeah, I thought we were talking about the plans after Amazing 700 and not back with Alpha debuting. But still, my point is Slott is so enamored with his own pet characters that he wanted the BIGGEST SPIDER-MAN EVENT EVER to not even have Peter Parker in it. Otto as Spider-Man is pretty much Slott's fantasy fulfillment and his Mary Sue character, it's disgusting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-UK is actually going to be in Secret Wars in the Spider-Verse comic. So no, he isn't dead.

http://www.newsarama.com/23496-spider-verse-lives-on-in-secret-wars-battleworld.html

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Has any character in any comic referred to Spider-Gwen as "Spider-Gwen"? While I like the name I think it's like Spock where only people on the internet use it.

It's the name of the title of the book so that's how she'll be referred to by fans and media. She's Spider-Woman in the comics themselves, I believe.

They were originally going to name the title Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman but probably changed it to avoid confusion with the other Spider-Woman title, and because Spider-Gwen was already popularized by the audience.

But yeah, in her own comics I'm pretty sure she'll be called Spider-Woman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

To be honest that just seemed to be more of an excuse to get Julia out of her coma/not have her know the future whenever Pete catches up with her.

Then why have someone specifically say "You mean our Spider-Sense?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hopeless has some things that really annoy me. Like last issue when he had an actual female character say they weren't going to be fridged. It was a terrible line and he's super clumsy with his 4th wall poo poo. I wish he would avoid that and just write. I really enjoyed his X-Men Season One graphic novel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, in Spider-woman #4?

Yep.

Even worse, it was Gwen talking about her alternate self. Just loving terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I laughed at the line. It was clever.

How is it clever? Unless Gwen knows she's a comic book character it's a lovely line the author forced in to try to be hip and meta.

If your girlfriend or wife get murdered you're not going to say they got fridged. Because it's a term used for comic book characters.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

The story was always going to have elements of fun in it. It's not like in the middle of a serious domestic violence storyline, Gwen makes fridging jokes.

Because "fridging" is a term used to describe something in comics or other forms of media. What Gwen was essentially saying was "An alternate version of me was killed off by writers to add drama and motivation to the male hero by choosing to have me thrown off a bridge."

So unless you're fine with calling real life murders of women that affects men as them getting fridged, it's a clumsy and hackneyed attempt at being meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

“With any story where you give people what they want—there’s a difference, as a storyteller, between what your readers want and what your readers need. In a good Peanuts story, you want Charlie Brown to kick that football. But if Charlie Brown kicks the football, it’s over!” says Slott. “All the best stories in serialized fiction–it’s always about teasing the greatest wishes and wants, but monkey-pawing it. Always giving you what you want, but not the way you want it.”

This guy is supposed to be a professional writer?

• Locked thread