Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Other totems aren't the ones prophesied to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well the cloning machines are all destroyed now and we've already seen that Spock returns to the "present" after all of this with no memory of what happened.

(And Marvel are going ahead and destroying all other universes)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah Pete is late 20's, they've very purposely not have him past 30 unlike the likes of say Daredevil or Iron Fist. He probably never will hit 30 unless they do decide to have him get married (again) and keep Miles around as the forever teen to manchild Spider-Man.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

FilthyImp posted:

That's... Kind of really depressing when I think about it.

Well that's just big two comics.

Pretty much every hero caps out in their mid 20's to early 30's with the exception of say Strange or Tony who are perpetually kind of in their 40's. You're not supposed to think about realistically how much stuff they go through. They just reflect their audience.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Himself and Waid are leaving Daredevil so I'd be totally fine with them taking over the book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Esroc posted:

I keep hearing praise for the Miles Morales character but haven't picked up a Spidey comic since Kraven's Last Hunt. What issue do I need to pick up to start with Peter's death leading into Miles taking over?

Unsurprisingly Death of Spider-Man followed by Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Silk is spinning off into her own book so isn't staying as Spider-Man's girlfriend or anything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Rhyno posted:

Is she leaving NYC?

Not yet but she'll do the usual thing of hanging around him for the first issue or arc and then go off to fight her own bad dudes/find her lost family/new found backstory cast.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

"I'm Spider-Man and I don't kill, even those Spock does. I'm going to dump you in this world where your powers are dampened and you can't hurt anybody. Also there's a bunker/shelter down the road you can use, it won't be a happy existence but for the multiple murders it's what you deserve." It's perfectly in character for Peter.

Gaz-L posted:

I'll bite: As someone who's only seen a few posted pages of Silk being Asian-American-lady-Captain-America regarding Facebook, Tumblr and smartphones, and the preview pages from her solo book (which I'm planning on getting because they seemed like fun, straight-forward superhero stuff and I think her costume's cool), why is everyone so mad about her?

I think her new costume is a lot better but she's basically a character that is about 30-40 years too late to appear. (I don't agree with the waifu or character insert stuff since she's effectively the same background as Ezekiel. ) In Amazing she basically has all the traits that Spider-Woman has that Marvel are trying to downplay/change ignore, the whole being a woman and having pheromones/sex powers, super revealing costume, tortured childhood and so on. Not that, like Spider-Woman, it isn't anything that can be salvaged but it's something that shouldn't really be there nowadays. Also her real name is basically Moon Moon which is ridiculous in it's own right without the racist under/overtones. I'll give her solo a shot because the art looks nice and we'll see how the character can be changed.

TwoPair posted:

If Kaine is actually dead I will be so disappointed, goddamn. I mean Jesus what an unceremonious death. Just "oh we stabbed the Other now he's dead I... guess? but we won't really show a corpse, just smear a little blood on this web here and move on to some other bullshit"

It has to be too unceremonious to be an actual death. The Master Weaver stuff, Karn not taking his mask off and Kaine turning into a giant monster spider leave way too many outs.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

But their arms are webbed to their sides, and also they need to eat totems (not just Spiders) to live. So they'll starve to death in the bunker if they're lucky, assuming that they don't trip on the way over and die of radiation poisoning before they can get up.

But then Slott wrote himself into a corner, so it's not surprising he didn't think the whole thing through.

Morlun wasn't webbed up? They threw them somewhere they couldn't hurt anyone and gave them their magic crystal. It was basically you'll have a poo poo time but I'm sure you'll figure something out and you can't hurt anybody anymore.

Like they've already shown themselves to be able to create cloning machines and other stuff, they're not just going to walk around in circles bumbling into walls and then die.

(There's also more of the story to come)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except they'd be stuck in the bunker with no way to build up again. How are they supposed to manufacture cloning machines et al out of thin air? The most we know that bunker can do is make web fluid. It's not like they can put in an order to the Master Weaver for more stuff to build with.

And how do you mean there's more of the story to come? You mean the epilogue? How the hell are they going to address this without it seeming ridiculous? How do you know Slott is even going to address it?

You're nitpicking.

They were literally thrown off panel because it's comics and they'll return at some point in the future if the epilogue itself doesn't feature Morlun declaring "I'll get you next time Gadget Spider-Man". They're very clearly not left with the intention that they're all going to die slowly and never show up again.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 12, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

YOU'RE SPIDER-MAN? :wth:

Not A Dream, Not A Hoax, Not An Imaginary Story!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's not even a crazy release schedule like say Black Vortex. You can just read the main series on it's own in Amazing Spider-Man 9-15, helpfully titled Spider-Verse Part 1-6 and Epilogue. You can read the spin off books like Edge of Spider-Verse if you want more information on the new characters or Spider-Woman, Scarlet Spiders or Spider-Man 2099 for those character. The main book even has editor notes to tell you where they take place.

Here's the crazy wikipedia schedule if you want to read everything:

Prelude

The Amazing Spider-Man #4-6
Edge of the Spider-Verse #1-5
Spider-Man 2099 #5
The Superior Spider-Man #32-33
The Amazing Spider-Man #7-8

Core series

The Amazing Spider-Man #9-15

Tie-ins

Scarlet Spiders #1-3
Spider-Man 2099 #6-8
Spider-Verse #1-2
Spider-Verse Team Up #1-3
Spider-Woman #1-4

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Shageletic posted:

What happened to his comic series? I really enjoyed it at the time. Is it the end for that version of the character?

Scarlet Spider was cancelled aaaaaaaages ago. They threw him into a reboot of New Warriors to try and keep him around but that lasted even less. There's no way he's totally dead though, he's already come back from the dead from being turned into a giant spider thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The thing that has hampered like 90% of her Captain Marvel run. ~editorial changes~

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It could be but the editorial interface and changes have been made well known about the book that I would doubt even the best writer would be able to spin constant gold from it. Like the time travel stuff, messing up her new origin, throwing her into space, not letting her use certain characters and so on.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well he is a big fan boy and has used Dr. Who comparisons when discussing his writing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Remove pheromones and you're talking about River Song.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Why does it matter if her family is still alive in Spider-Verse they were never the real MC2 characters :downs:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Spider-Gwen was supposed to just be a one off character like SP//dr and that so there was never any thought of what her book would be called or that there being multiple Spider-Women running around. Marvel were fine with Silk and Jessica Drew being the two female Spider people. When it sold so well and the new costume went down so well a book was thrown together and Latour pushed for Spider-Gwen since that's what people were referring to the character and there was already a Spider-Woman book. Like Captain Marvel this book is only going to last by appealing to that internet audience that have latched onto Spider-Gwen.

Gatts posted:

So what's she going to be called in universe?

We have Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Silk, Arana, Madame Web, ... is she going to show up to battle one day and Peter's like "GET OUT OF THE WAY SPIDER-GWEN!?" then Norman's eyes grow wide.

Or did I miss it.

Her title is Spider-Woman and her Peter is dead.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

When did Captain Stacy die? He was fine in Edge of Spider-Verse.

Also unsurprisingly the epilogue of Spider-Verse did indeed sort everything out and people who clearly weren't dead, still aren't dead!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Flameingblack posted:

Why was I reading that Captain Stacy was being killed off?

You said Captain Stacy was alive again but he was always alive in Gwen's universe, unless I missed a tie-in.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'm just mad people keep writing Spider-Man comics. Stan Lee created the character, has written over 100 issues, it's his baby, nobody else should be allowed to write the character.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah you don't need to use spoilers. There wasn't even any really crazy changes to spoil or that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

People do just that in every comic, all the time. Spider-Girl shouldn't be different. And regardless of your feelings Spider-Girl is not on the level of Ultimate Spider-Man or original Spider-Man. They're a Marvel character, Marvel can do what they want with her. Every character has had some new creative team come on and throw everything out from the original run and restart it (which isn't what Slott did either way).

Gaz-L posted:

I actually sorta like the idea of her 'graduating' to Spider-Woman, but why change the costume? Out of some absurd notion that it has to be Peter's or it's not REAL? The Ben Reilly suit looked good on May because that design always had a slightly feminine edge to it.

You always get a costume upgrade with a name change.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

Well on the one hand I'm glad Kaine isn't dead, on the other hand, that ominous hand bursting out of a spider corpse leads me to think when he appears next it will be as a villain or a spider-monster or whatever just Scarlet Spider is finally dead is what I'm saying/fearing

He's already done the hand bursting out of the grave at least two other times in the last few times (even becoming a literal Spider-Man one of the times) and hasn't turned into a villain. It's pretty much just his get out of death free card.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

So now that they're not bound by crossover law to pay attention to the main title, what are the odds on any of the writers of the other spider-books (2099, Silk, Gwen) paying attention to Slott's dumb "oh man everybody's spider-sense is totally shot" thing from the latest issue?

When did this happen.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

To be honest that just seemed to be more of an excuse to get Julia out of her coma/not have her know the future whenever Pete catches up with her.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Because Spider Sense is what she uses to see into the future and is shown a couple of pages earlier in the issue waking from her coma when Ock damages it. It's very clear there will be minor power stuff but at no point do people lose their Spider-Sense. Kaine will probably come out of it different too since he's used his Spider-Sense to see into the future as well.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 27, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The art in Spider-Woman was nice but the book really needs someone other than Hopeless. It really felt like all the worst ways to try a soft reboot.

Like when Carol got a new costume there wasn't her commenting about Manara covers in the book, they just went and did it. That and Jess' characterization feels completely off, well when she wasn't explaining to the audience how she had to change her life "just cos". It just all feels very forced, along with trying the Superior Foes route of using the Z-list superheros are goofy thing, but again Superior pulled it off.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Flameingblack posted:

My brother owns the entirety of 52, and a bunch of Batman TPB (Almost every notable one), I asked him what fridging means and he has no idea? It just depends on if a person really follows comics on the internet or not. At that point it's less leisure and more hobby isn't it

Yeah fridging is a comic book term and used by a specific audience. This is all just Hopeless' writing which comes off poorly a lot of the time. I mean you can go into long winded arguments about whether Gwen should know about fridging but that doesn't explain other 4th wall breaking bits/forcing references for a specific audience.

Like how last issue Carol was going on about how everybody will be so happy Jess is changing her "awful" costume while she's oblivious to it and then has the next issues she's going on about how embarrassing it was from googling the Manara cover. It all comes off as bad pandering to a specific audience rather than naturally expanding a books reach.

Then all that aside you have the compare and contrast with how Spider-Verse ended for Peter and for Jess. Peter ended with him realising that there is no big or small or "normal" crimefighting, as long as he's helping people that's all that matters. Jess leaves the event wanting to get back to a normal life by just punching random z listers, which turns out she's poo poo at.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Fridging is a comic book term, but in recent years I've seen it referenced more and more in other 'fandoms' such as those for TV shows; it's a useful shorthand that's grown beyond its original context.

That doesn't make the line any less clunky - though admittedly I laughed at it - but to say "only comic nerds know this turn of phrase" is a little myopic.

The fact that it's referenced in "fandoms" kind of highlights it's a dumb comic term that only a specific audience uses though. You can rephrase it to geek/nerd instead of comic audience. Like it's not a term people use casual outside of nerdy stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

Who outside of the nerdy audience is reading Spider-Woman, exactly?

I said specific nerdy/comic/whatever audience. Not everybody that reads comics or potentially could read comics uses terms like fridging or fandom or what have you. It's basically just a bad attempt at pandering rather than in something like Batgirl which feels like a genuine attempt to appeal to a broader audience.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Blockhouse posted:

If it works it's not really a bad attempt, is it?

I guess it depends what you define by works. It'll need to wait and see how the sales are on the book to see if it's a commercial success, i just don't think creatively it works.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Focusing on a phrase like fridging is missing the forest for the trees of what was a poorly written issue that threw out a lot of character development for what will no doubt be an unacceptable attempt to duplicate Batgirls success.

It's nothing to do with kid's nowadays or whatever goons are dumb meme people want to spout.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dan Didio posted:

Marvel is not some saintly figure by any means, but they've been pouring money and effort into getting creators, characters and titles alone these lines for the past few years; a time period in which a senior DC figure effectively told a female fan to gently caress off when she raised the question of female representation at a convention and another had a minor breakdown when asked about their failure with regards to their commitment on hiring female creators.

To suggest that Marvel is aping DC's succes is hilariously narrow-minded.

DC are aping Marvel's revamping with Marvel Now, which isn't anything to do with this conversation. Spider-Woman is a bad writer thinking they can just throw a leather jacket and motorbike on a character because that's what worked for someone else. This book doesn't have the quality to back it up.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always thought the controversy was because the main villain was a crossdresser who acted in the most stereotypical evil crossdresser ways.

Pretty much.

And everybody apologized and acknowledged that while you try and make a better or more inclusive product you gently caress up sometimes but the important part is to acknowledge that and improve.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I don't think they're burying the F4 as some passive-agressive swipe at Fox, since the new launch has three or four X-Men titles. I think it's just no one buys Fantastic Four comics. Johnny and Ben are on different teams, and I bet Sue and Reed and the kids are going to show up too.

Marvel are currently going around and removing all references to Fantastic Four from all of their media. It's not just a one thing.

And I will legit be surprised if Doom and Reed aren't taken off the table for a while with Secret Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Marvel are going around doing dumb things like removing the Fantastic Four logo from the Bagman costume on the free-play mobile game Spider-Man Unlimited, despite it having already been there for months. They haven't mysteriously lost rights within the last few weeks/months. And that ignores the legion of other companies confirming the same (like not letting them use FF characters for Mondo Posters or cancelling collectible figures being made AFTER they had already commissioned them and sorted out licensing). Brevoort has always regurgitated company PR statements and already let slip that they just don't care for stuff they don't own film rights anyway.

Like Fox own film rights, they don't own comic or merchandising rights for FF or X-Men.

• Locked thread