Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's me. I am the person excited for Spider-Verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Edge & Christian posted:

c) 80% of the people in that backup were drawn to look straight out of 1961

I assumed this was deliberate and think it was kinda cool. Like obviously the timescale has slid and we can have people with technology that didn't exist in 1962 be around Spidey's origin, but to show how this story legit takes place within Amazing Fantasy #15, everyone but our new inserted character looks straight out of that older time period. It was jarring but in a good way, I thought.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Giant-Size Spider-Man is horrendous and I recommend it as a curiosity piece. Sixty-something pages of bad art, bad writing, and tired, retread storytelling. Who asked for this?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked most of Superior Spider-Man and am okay with mostly liking Slott's work.

That said this was one of the most boring issues of Spider-Man I've ever read. Learning to Crawl sucks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I never liked the "these villains ONLY fight THIS hero" thing. Why shouldn't the Avengers fight Electro or Carnage? Those guys are pretty huge threats. At this point Hobgoblin is pretty much a mass-murderer, but if Captain America runs into him on the street he should just go "I should tell Spider-Man I saw Hobgoblin today." You even talk about it in your post.

Spider-Man gets more power and responsibility by joining the Avengers and fighting "big guns" like Kang and Ultron. This is the same thing but with his villains. Norman Osborn was a great choice to lead HAMMER and the Dark Reign arc - he was a master villain and one of Marvel's best but had never been given a shot outside of Amazing books.

I dunno. I like it when the X-Men have to deal with the Kingpin or the Lizard goes nuts in Stark Enterprises. Like, the only exclusive villains should be ones whose only villain thing is HATING that hero (like the Spider-Slayers or something).

Edit: Also Spider-Man has rejoined the Avengers and how do you know he won't be a part of Axis?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Three pages of dumb crying about Amazing Friends Spider-Man being killed in a pretty funny way and no tears for Spider-Man Unlimited? HIS WHOLE PLANET IS ANIMALS. Time to eat the animals.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

lmao two people actually give a poo poo about spider-man unlimited

What a buncha maroons (not being sarcastic. cartoon sucked - just like Amazing Friends)

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like the new costume but I don't get the shoulder things.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lmao I just noticed the title change. So good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

I saw the page where Leoparodon gets wrecked, which still counts as chumped in my book, although hey they actually spare Supaidaman, well done Slott for managing to hold off on one singular murder! Having seen the whole thing I'm still not impressed. Spider-Girl continues to apparently be a designated punching bag for Morluns. Has she managed anything on her own this whole story? She wound up fleeing from Daemos, and then got smacked around not once but twice by Morlun in a single panel with little apparent effort. Ugh.

Yeah the event is going to for sure end with May in a puddle of her own blood, crying, and not go with basic narrative structure and have the hero finally give the villain their comeuppance.

Like what do you want? For Spider Girl to snap Morluns neck or something?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

A slap in the face
To all the true Toei Spider-Man fans out there
Both of them

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Deadpool posted:

All in all now that it's done I enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Verse. I think it's one of the most fun crossovers in recent years. In the end it was pretty inconsequential but that's part of what made it fun. It was basically just an excuse to write a bunch of different Spider people interacting and that's fine with me. I wouldn't mind an ongoing Spider team up of some kind. Exiles except with Spiders.

Agreed.

Yvonmukluk you're kinda insufferable, man. Please stop reading new comics if you can't get past people using characters from old ones.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ugh the spider mobile
Ugh successful globetrotting adventures
Ugh yvknmlkjmkj is awful

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dan Slott vs John Byrne over the new direction (it's bleeding cool don't click but also click)

It is kinda sad how some of you guys sound like Byrne/his posters.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I can't remember any times he's mentioned the Spider-Mobile at all...

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think my favorite part of ASM was adding Hobie Brown back to the cast. Not only is he a cool character with a long history but also his name is Hobie and that's fun to say.

Hobie.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Blockhouse posted:

OMD was eight years ago.

Holy crap

Also, Aunt May didn't, like, come back to life per se during OMD. that's like saying "ugh why would they resurrect Captain America after Infinity Gauntlet just to make him an old man???

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

This entire post is just terrible.

All his posts are terrible.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk has a victim complex and no one has even died yet.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I, for one, think all characters should die in inverse order based upon the size of their fanbase.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Squizzle posted:

lol like half your posts in this thread in the last year have been about how much you hate Yvonmukluk

Just record a diss track, drop it onto SoundCloud, and link it every time you feel The Anger.

I might find Yvonmukluk annoying, but I love you, Squizzle.

Spider-Man in general is really good right now. I don't really dislike any of the main books (Spidey is kinda boring but I like the art).

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

If Spider-Boy shows up, I demand Bizarrnage.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Four Score posted:

I hate to be the one to break it but Spider-Man's bold new direction looks a lot like Iron Man's old one. He's even pretending to be his own body guard for Uncle Ben's sake

This is referenced in the book itself.

As for the re-entry scene, he is using a new type of Spider Armor in his also-armored space suit and then using his recently upgraded winning to slow his descent and shield his fall - he barely survives. It's fine.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just because there's a diagetic explanation doesn't suddenly make it okay. Peter is super-smart, but none of his previous armours have been anywhere near as durable as 'survive re-entry from the ISS's altitude'. If it was Iron Man? Dude makes armour in his spare time, I could see him being able to design one on short notice or be able to figure out a way with repulsors or whatever. But with Spidey, that snaps my suspension of disbelief like a rubber band.

Prior to opening a science factory, Peter made multiple armors and costumes (see: Big Time and Ends of the Earth) without a team or resources. Here he has both of those things and went into the situation prepared. It's pretty far out there but I mean he sold his marriage to the devil - suspension of disbelief is dead.

I also don't think this era of Spider-Man is straying too far from the original concept. Pete now has greater power and thus greater responsibility, hence why he's fighting international astrology terrorists instead of the Vulture. It's Parker without the Parker Luck - for now.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi, I'm here to talk to you about Megamorphs.

Megamorphs ruled and I'm glad it's coming back in Web Warriors.

Thank you. This has been the first post about Megamorphs in a decade. That's my time.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TwoPair posted:

I do find the fact that Miles somehow remembers doing his weird super-venom-blast before interesting. So like, does he remember the old world and blasting Ultimate Doom? Or did he just blast some other douche in this brave new fused world?

I dunno, the idea that Miles also has no history makes me think the Molecule Man's gift is going to come up sooner or later.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

He does have a history, but as seen at the end of the issue his father got SHIELD too wipe it. Has nothing to do with Molecule Man.

I think that's the implication, but why would they just erase all his records? How would that help him? It's weird. You're probably right, but I'd still like to see it come up.

Also, this issue reminded me of Ultimate Kingpin unmasking Ultimate Pete.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lobok posted:

Not really assigning blame. Just worried about the quality of the storylines with this particular author now that it's happened again. I've heard some of the characters in their own books are quite good (and I even liked the most recent Kaine Scarlet Spider books) but it's always going to bug me a bit that Spider-Man is just not nearly as unique anymore. The Spider-Family proliferated over the last few years.

Anyway, that's just me being a(n old?) crank.

Lobok, even back on pnmb you were a crank! Just always so negative!

The spider-family is awesome.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hate to double post, and I have gone on the record with my dislike of Web Warriors, but drat this cover is fantastic:

:swoon:

Very good cover.

Too bad Spider-Girl's in it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rhyno posted:

You need to specify.

Specifically May Parker, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers