Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

atomicgeek posted:

If you read the first few dozen books as the origin story of a teenage supervillain it makes much more sense.

That element was certainly deliberate. Peter's future was very uncertain in the early comics: he usually didn't do things for the right reasons, he gave in to rage and desperation more often than not, he was mistrusted and disliked by most of the public... that element of "which way is he going to go" was part of what made the Lee/Ditko comics so interesting. I mean, yeah, in the end he always did the right thing, but they kept you guessing. He even turned tail and ran a bunch of times instead of stepping up to the plate, which is the biggest no-no for a classic superhero.

Now we're left with a character so thoroughly established as a good guy that even hesitation to do the right thing is seen as out of character, and any instance of being mistrusted by someone that isn't Jonah Jameson seems like a strange trope that has no reason to exist anymore. There have been a lot of great stories told with the more grown-up Spidey who's firmly a hero, but some of the magic of the classic stories is lost, which is a shame.

Of course, we've had a lot of people who try to turn back the clock on some of his character development but not other parts of it, which is usually garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only reason people are "coming down" from Hawkeye is because of its release schedule.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Suben posted:

Anna Maria is terrible and I can't think of any real personality she has. She existed (and still exists kind of) as little more than a morality crutch for Otto.

She's also a one-dimensional perfect girlfriend. Great cook, nerdy, smart, devoted, low self-esteem...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At least he's not working in urban renewal like Iron Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Benedick Cuckold posted:

"Too much old baggage" has very little to do with it. Rehabilitating characters and starting from a somewhat clean slate are trivially easy things to do in comics, even without reality-altering retcons. It's the bad writers and the fans who refuse to stop giving them money for their lovely work that are the problem.

Don't forget the bad editors who put out strange edicts about the character's age and relationship status but don't seem to care about anything else the writers do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't like it. It's a retelling of his origin and then retellings of his first fights with Vulture, Doc Ock and Sandman. Nothing offensive but not worth $5.

You could reprint the original comics in a single giant-size issue and save both money and time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know people around here don't look kindly on DeFalco's Spider-girl, but Peter as a CSU officer was a really good fit for his skillset and sense of justice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just wish they'd put out more Untold Tales instead. But I guess that's the literal opposite of trying to "modernize" the character's early years, since those books were deliberately written and drawn like 60s comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Outside of the Lee run, most of the best and most memorable Spider-man stories were written while he was married or engaged to MJ. Death of Jean Dewolff, Kraven's Last Hunt, Harry's death, the list goes on. The only problem existed in some old editors' minds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

d00gZ posted:

This is literally Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl.

Not really. Peter's retired and missing most of a leg in that. And he has a creepy goatee.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

That Gwen needs to be put into 616 immediately. That costume is awesome.

Temper your enthusiasm with the knowledge that all of these cool designs will be largely drawn by loving Ramos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

He was. For multiple years.

He was? I thought he wrote one of the side books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Slott's track record says she's hosed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Marla Jameson, Dr. Ashley Kafka, he was on the creative team when Mattie bit it. She's hosed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To be honest if psychics were real I would wrap my head in tin foil and scream bloody murder any time Emma Frost walked into a room. It's kinda hard to argue with the perspective that a person's mind should be inviolate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does tinfoil actually work like that in the Marvel Universe (or, hell, in ANY comic book universe)?

Probably not, but I can't afford no fancy hat like Magneto has.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think they confirmed Japanese Spider-man in the Spider-verse panel. There's also gonna be a team-up mini with random Spideys (they didn't say which team-ups they'll be, but it can apparently be combinations like Miles and Spider-ham)

Newspaper comic and 1967 cartoon Spideys team up and stupid their way to save the day :allears:

I hope 60s cartoon Spidey breaks someone's mind by making a shotgun out of webbing or something ridiculous like that.

Or at least takes the time to slowly monologue that his spider-sense is warning him of immediate danger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

That spider armor showed up in regular continuity as well, it was made out of hardened webbing derivative a worn for a single issue then Peter purposefully broke it by flexing (yes flexing) and revealed he was wearing a regular suit beneath it. That's "Here's you loving toy tie in you dicks!" in writer speak.

That issue was great. The suit gave him a bit of an edge while fighting a huge team of villains, got wrecked, and had obvious downsides that explain why he doesn't wear it all the time. It's exactly what a special one-shot gimmick suit should be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Archyduke posted:

He is? As far as I know, his current thing is keeping a distance and leasing out villain identities to various proxies. Did I miss something?

He still killed a lot of people back in his first appearance, and has killed some since. Not to mention Macendale killed like nobody's business when he had the mantle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh man, that Peter owned :allears: He had Gwen, Ben, the Osborns and a Mech.

In my world I'm a multi billionaire. Aren't you? :smug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

If you think closely enough about just about any organic item that we wear or use on the planet, it gets pretty gross. You're typing on processed dinosaur corpses right now.

That's a misconception. Fossil fuel is mostly plankton.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"Video Game References! - the comic" wasn't really interesting to me either. I guess some people really liked it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Is that really all you took from that book?

There was also a lot of poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

poo poo, there goes my chance to publish my creator-owned series Silk, about a sexy 30s female spy who keeps getting in soft BDSM situations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's literally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF02VoDQSd0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Slott: Here's an event where an evil Spider-Vampire is going to go between Spider Universes until he gets to 616, killing and devouring people to gain powers/strength. This is clearly the beginning of the story where things will change and have "shocking reveals" which will be undone as the series goes.

Audience: Fine but you better include every single universe I want.

Slott: Fine, I've even included the Spider-Man and the Amazing Friends universe.

Audience: Well you could kill every Spider-Man except that one :argh:

Oh yeah, like all those other pointless shock value deaths that Dan Slott reversed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A new #1 of one of the best known comics selling a ton of issues? Surely that denotes interest in the story and not the zombified corpse of the collector's market rearing its decaying head.

Is there any way to know how many of those issues were actually purchased vs how many were shipped to stores?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The funny thing about Slott is that he seems to delight in creating "controversy" and riling people up, but has zero tolerance for people saying anything even slightly critical of him online.

He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For some reason teen heroes have become the ones who suffer the most hosed up, violent, body horror, sexually creepy poo poo in comics. If you see a new comic about a teen hero, especially if it's a team of teen heroes, the book is going to be more hosed up and gruesome than everything else being put out, except maybe Batman.

You'd think they'd want the books about the younger characters to be more light-hearted and fun, but nope. Ms. Marvel is a wonderful exception, but I fully expect people to put her though the meat grinder once the current creative team leaves. I blame Teen Titans.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Do you mean in general or a specific bit?

In general.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The new Spider-man has happened multiple times, but they weren't superheroes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was pretty jarring how he retconned out all those murders Spider-man Noir did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I still don't know why Ultimate Spider-Man was in the black costume when he wore it for literally a single night.

They probably couldn't figure out another gameplay gimmick to give him. Dude's not exactly starkly different from regular Spider-man. So they just went "eeehh people liked that Venom mode in Ultimate Spider-man: The Game".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

radlum posted:

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. I'm really surprised we haven't seen an alternate universe where family man Peter Parker is brutally eaten by Morlun in front of his family...yet.

Didn't that happen in Spider-girl?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Huh, I thought it was a joint custody type agreement.

Only for Access.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just can't help but feel you could tell this basic story without having so many of these characters die violently to show how ruthless the boring villains are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Castomira posted:

I don't really see any criticism of them as characters that doesn't pretty much boil down to "the Inheritors belong in a Vampire: The Masquerade supplement."

That's a pretty serious indictment of any character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still think Peter's a huge loving rear end in a top hat for not killing him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They did that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anya's pretty much ruined as a character, killing her would be a mercy.

• Locked thread