Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Children have some hosed up ways to deal with death Jerry, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I live in LA and having to use paper bags to carry poo poo is super lovely especially when your car is far away from your place.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CPColin posted:

And plastic bags are better? Do you have any reusable canvas or recycled plastic bags?

Plastic doesn't rip if I hold it wrong.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Papercut posted:

So keep a tote in your trunk, this is not hard.

What if I dont wana buy a loving bag when they used to be free.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CPColin posted:

In SLO County, the stores charge you ten cents per paper bag, so be thankful they're free where you are? Or pay a few bucks, once, for a reusable bag?

I gotta pay 10 cents for the paper ones also.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

They work fine, unless you have some legitimate disorder with your hands and need to tie a bag to your wrist.

Those plastic bags are one of the worst plastic things that get dumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_debris#Nurdles_and_plastic_bags

Paper bags don't work fine at all, they suck. I haven't seen one that hasn't ripped on me.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

Thankfully, due to our initiative system, he doesn't have to until after the next election cycle.

Maybe enough people will be confused by the yes means no / no means yes that he will not have to endure the slight inconvenience for several more years.

Where I live they stopped using plastic like a year ago.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
It's a dollar?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
The handles make things worse ,if you lift it in any way except directly up they rip off and gently caress up the bag.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

Yeah. Theyre for carrying the bag not dragging it around on the ground.

Does a paper bag need a "this end up" sign on its side or something?

No but it needs to not rip if I lift it slightly to one side.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Kobayashi posted:

What was the verdict on eggs? I see organic, free range, and cage free. Brown and white. Regular and jumbo. So many goddamn choices.

I buy the cheap ones.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Zeitgueist posted:

30 years until Los Angeles, a city that's probably a top 30 world economy on it's own, gets an okay metro rail system

If LA had a metro I would burn my car and dance around it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
By metro I mean a good one.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

I had to stop using my turn signal to change lanes in San Francisco while driving a big work van. Every signal is an invitation to close up the gap I'm trying to get into. gently caress that poo poo. Now I just squeeze in wherever I can fit. If you try being a courteous driver there, you arn't going to move. It is a tragedy of commons

That's never really happened to me in LA.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

My old university has:
1. A Subway on campus.
2. A Subway half a block off the east side of campus.
3. A Subway one block off the north side of campus.
4. A Subway three blocks off the west side of campus.
5. A Subway five blocks off the west side of campus. Yes, 4 and 5 are two blocks from one another, but on opposite sides of the major street.
6. A Subway three blocks further west from Subway #5.
7. A Subway two blocks north from Subway #4.

All of them are still open. In fact, #3 there used to be a Quiznos, but shut down about 3-4 years ago and became a Subway, which is still there today.

:psyduck:

I've never been able to figure out how subway does this either.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^
I bet Jerry Brown would sign that.

Absolutely.
Actually, a great protest would be if the UC students went to his grave and pissed on it.

Those two guys danced on it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

The only area on the west coast that is hard to distinguish from New Jersey. The OC.

Its a cultural desert.

:allears:

You're stupid.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

You can tell how lovely the OC is because of how desperately people need to defend it to feel ok about themselves.

You can talk poo poo about SD, LA, Malibu, Ventura, SB, SLO ... no one says anything. ..But the precious OC! Oh my!

I'm just saying bro.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Gotta agree.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Space-Bird posted:

I have someone in my building who smokes like the dankest OG Kush ever + ground up tires, and it seeps up into my apartment around Midnight, 4 am, and 6 am...it constantly wakes me up and I think I have an electrical fire. I've had to buy multiple air purifiers to deal with it. I applaud anyone who makes the effort to smoke on the street or in a public space.....just don't do it in your bathroom in a multi-unit building. Cigarette smoke on the other hand has become entirely laughable to me, I swear whatever this person is smoking....oh my god...

Why not talk to them about it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
He's a huge dick, but he's being a dick to rich people.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
You're getting screwed over by your landlord.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
They aren't allowed to raise it month to month if you have a lease, that's illegal.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
No one cares about san diego.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

I'd like to see the results of a poll question that said something like "Growing alfalfa hay uses up about 15 percent of California's water - about 100 billion gallons of water a year. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies as animal feed, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Considering alfalfa is the most water-intensive crop in California, and considering it's not important as a food crop, shouldn't California cut back on alfalfa growth, to conserve water during this terrible drought?"

That's exactly the sort of push-polling that results in massive swings in opinion poll results. But it's also the only way to ask a question and get an actually-informed answer, because most of the time you're asking a question of someone who is ignorant of the facts surrounding the issue. What use is an uninformed opinion? Obviously they're critically important when there's an actual election, but there's no nationwide election on how to resolve California's water crisis. And the whole point of electing representatives to make these decisions is that those full-time representatives are supposed to become fully informed of the issues and make informed decisions so we the public don't have to become experts on everything.

That's actually an incredibly biased question.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

It's a question that contains no inaccurate facts, but which does not contain reasonable counterarguments against the meaning of those facts. It's biased only in that if someone knew nothing at all about the situation, they'd almost definitely agree with the conclusion the question is pushing.

That's why I said explicitly that it would be push-polling.

The real problem is that people's opinions are so easily manipulated. It makes a lot of opinion polls - hell, I'd say most polls - next to worthless. If you can get past the press releases and media interpretations and get a hold of the actual questions asked, you can usually discover all kinds of bias inherent in the phrasing of the questions and (especially, when they're offered) multiple-choice answers.

...which goes back to, hmm, a lot of Americans think farms are important. No kidding! That's worthless information until you've verified that the Americans you're asking are actually even vaguely aware of the details of California's water usage system, what kinds of farming absorb the most water and why, the nature of corporate farming, and how the profit incentives built into the current system actually encourage terrible water usage.

To me, "Considering alfalfa is the most water-intensive crop in California, and considering it's not important as a food crop, shouldn't California cut back on alfalfa growth, to conserve water during this terrible drought?" comes off as very leading.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

Effectively yes.

Usually people don't care about the race of professionals/upper class folks, since at worst they're "one of the good ones". The exception for that is Jews, who have a unique relationship.

That's only if we dress up for literally everything.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
San Diego is hot as hell in the summer.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

Welcome to the dystopic future where LA is more progressive than San Francisco.

This has always been the case, SF just wont shut up about it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

paranoid randroid posted:

i might care more for In-n-Out if every single one in LA county wasnt, without fail, jammed to capacity like the last helicopter out of Saigon from start of business to closing every single day

I feel the same way, I mean it's good but gently caress waiting that long for a burger.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

lancemantis posted:

Honestly I've always felt In n' Out fries were pretty sub-par on their own; burgers? ok; shakes? pretty good

I just go to local places if I want that stuff

Their fries dry out in minutes and they are terrible if you don't get animal style.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Isn't that the place that went out of there way to waste water during the drought?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Jaxyon posted:

If only.

I have good news for you.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Anyone else watching the debate?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Really disappointed the nazi isn't on stage.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
John Chiang was the guy who told the state congress to go gently caress themselves during that budget thing right?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
No there was only one chance to see it and you hosed up. You're going to have to live with that, buddy.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm voting for the school lady, because she is cool as hell.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Jaxyon posted:

I had a chat with an older lady the other day who was like "I live in a rent controlled apartment a block from the beach in Santa Monica for $1000/mo, I'm going to die there". And also told me stories about how the landlords dont repair anything and kick people out for anything.

She was driving for Uber.

Living the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

Daily reminder that Republicans are pathologically obsessed with proving California is actually a secret hellscape with a failing economy and no freedumbs because acknowledging otherwise means the bulk of what they hold true wrt social and economic policy is wrong.

I love when they start fantasizing about all of us dying.