Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Bizarro Watt posted:

I think a big factor in the opinions against the strike from the students was that these events happen all the time. I'm pro-union but shutting down access to campus is going to piss off people that would otherwise be sympathetic. People have classes to attend, teach, and lab experiments to run. For the last strike, I didn't even bother to try and get to lab that day, but I heard plenty of anecdotes from others who did.

Yes, people that would otherwise be sympathetic until they have to suffer inconvenience. Ie people whose sympathies do not run very deep at all. You have problems on your campus which go way beyond intermittent closures. You either support the strikers or you don't. Not that each and every strike is worthy of support, but regardless of whether you're generally pro-union, it does not sound like you support these particular strikers.

There's exactly one and only one way to negotiate with your employer in the same way he negotiates with you: by halting productivity. Since privatization of the university, it's absolutely no different from what happens at a factory picket. They chose that arrangement, not us.

e: But trying to shut down the uni in absence of a general strike, with general backing from the student body is not going to work. I agree that it seems dumb and counterproductive.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't think things are that bad for them at all right now, most of them have a reasonable expectation of a house before thirty. It's when the inevitable surplus of STEM hits that we're going to see some seriously pissed-off MechE grads. This surplus being so completely inevitable because no one will shut the gently caress up about the certainty of these degrees, and will not shut up until its five years too late.

e: Just look at what's happened to law school grads, and apply that to every single profession Obama has heartily recommended because it's conventional wisdom. Don't be surprised if we have two million loving plumbers come out of trade school, and you can get your whole system routed for $20.

Apprenticeship worked. Whatever this poo poo is now, just completely doesn't and is going to burn a stark number of eager beavers.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 1, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I feel like today's unions are pretty self-absorbed and terminally limited in scope and vision, and cannot even attempt coherency because they might accidentally make a capitalist critique, which is of course unthinkable. A new inclusive and trans-sector union would probably do America well, if joining the established international ones gives rubes the heebie-jeebies.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

I don't know anyone under thirty who bought in California in general.

Oh my god your loving state and it's loving real estate market. I've made it painfully obvious that I'm an outsider. Though damned if your state's moguls, developers, and speculators haven't thoroughly colonized Colorado.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

This is so true, and so sad. Anyone who thinks the Bay Area is the last bastion of progressive values should read up on last year's BART strike. The union got its rear end kicked in the court of public opinion. Management would have broken the union outright had two workers not been killed during the strike.

I don't even feel like there's any excuse for suffering from this delusion. San Francisco is a major city in the United States, and a finance capitol no less. What chance does it have of being genuinely progressive.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Was wikipedia down? That makes me wonder if Londoners know anything at all about this country. I guess only the mythologized versions of cities make it out of the US intact. Makes me insanely curious about what the author might write about LA.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Telesphorus posted:

The high ratio of conservatives among STEM majors was the first thing that surprised about the UC system. Probably because they were more likely to come from high income families and (of course) less likely to take any social justice classes.

The d&d thread about this was called Terrible Engineering Political Views. It was, believe it or not, somewhat contentious.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Being socially liberal almost just means mind your own goddamned business, or be busy enough not to care. Being economically left is slightly more taxing and I cringe whenever I meet a libertarian feminist. Yes you're feminist, you're a woman. Yes you're LGBTQ-friendly, possibly because you have LGBTQ friends. You're an environmentalist? Well you do loving live in it. So far, no smug points awarded at all. Like, you could certainly be more of an rear end in a top hat, thank you for not being one I suppose. This is the Republican way of being made to care about a thing (a la Republican congressman whose mind suddenly blossomed when his son came out), and it's too slow to be useful.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Not to be "that guy" but since you aren't in California, can I ask what you are hoping to achieve by posting here? Most of D&D is about broader movement/ideological issues (which are super important) but given this thread's "local" focus I'm not sure what your position brings. I agree with what you are saying, so what? So what?

I thought that last post was pretty CA-relevant.
Lots of people posting here will have no connection to the state and only a passing interest in the place. We're honestly here to keep you fucks from turning this into In-N-Out chat, yet again. I have an interest in California and have spent a lot of time there. Since to understand California is to understand Reagan is to understand where we are as a country now.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not sure that "As goes Orange County, so goes the Country" makes sense. Otherwise, we'd have squandered a Democratic Supermajority and gone back to a brutal deadlock where nothing good happens.

And that'd just be crazy.

California is politically, far and away the most interesting state. The oligarchs of every possible industry, the water battles, the hateful political divisions between the inlanders and the coastals, the prisons, the marine/army/AF/Naval bases, the Big One. It is the modern United States moreso than any other state, and if you could only pick out one to try to get a handle on the whole country, it would have to be yours.

Come friend, this thread could be so much more than which freeways you all sat around on today.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorites are the ones that have been up forever, including the classic "CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL".

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

If you don't know where these come from (or couldn't guess), this guy does a write-up on the Central Valley.

quote:

Water = Jobs
Keep Water Flowing to Farms & Cities
Tell Feinstein pass Water Bill HR 1837
Farm Water Cut = Higher Food Cost! 50% cut 2010 60% cut 2009 65% cut 2008
CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL

At the bottom of some of the signs you’ll find urls of a few different plucky organizations, just trying to make Oligarch Valley more livable for the regular folks: WaterForAll.com, FamiliesProtectingTheValley.com… just grassroots movements of farm owners and farm workers uniting to fight the government and save their livelihood. Nah, I’m loving with you. Or at least someone is. Take WaterForAll.com, part of the Latino Water Coalition, an astroturf group created by farming interests to give a populist face to a purely corporate cause. The group has been put on ice, but was very active back in 2009 when it paid poor Latino migrant workers to take part in a series of “protests,” including a five-day “March for Water” staged for Fox News cameras, to make it seem like the people of California are dying of thirst at the hands of Big Government. The groups even drew Sean Hannity out to Oligarch Valley to denounce President Obama for deploying his Greenshirt shocktroops against hardworking American farmers in order to protect some uppity endangered fish. Hannity demanded that Obama “turn this water on now.”

Levine, Yasha (2013-10-07). A Journey Through Oligarch Valley (Kindle Locations 829-834). Not Safe For Work Corporation. Kindle Edition.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Telesphorus posted:

(I'm saying this is as a detached, withdrawn observer, not as an angry, jealous Occupy protester).

you're saying this as a mean, dumb oval office

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

can somebody go ahead and add him to the First to the Wall pastebin? I'm on my phone.

that sounds like a really lovely place, I'll enjoy squatting there when property is redistributed based on quantity and ideological purity of a citizen's forum posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

Besides, the Sriracha factory story only matters because of how aggressively Texas and Ted Cruz in particular were lobbying for the factory to move.

If Gov. Perry comes to blue state TV and radio stations again with his ads encouraging businesses to leave the state, I hope this time the stations can find the guts to defend their communities and refuse him. I didn't think stations had any obligation to take ads if they think it's just going to piss off their audience. It is directed to people who own factories or laser consulting firms, or one of the minority of businesses that can be relocated. Everyone else works for these people and none of them want to be forced to give up Chicago for Dallas. Why even agree to run the ads, they're inflammatory as hell.

Stewart and Lewis Black's response was lovely. gently caress You Texas was a segment that made me cheer, and as a Chicagoan I tend towards dismissal of NYC.