Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

natetimm posted:

Here in San Diego you can get affordable housing downtown but you're having multiple roomies or living in a flophouse. Our county is really big and spread out, though, and we have a semblance of public transportation so it's not too bad. North County and San Diego proper are almost like 2 totally different cities though, transportation-wise.
Up here in North County, if you miss the bus, you're better off trying to find a ride from someone since most of the waits are 30 minutes.

However, it is pretty awesome to take the Coaster down from Oceanside to San Diego. Especially to a Padres game since you can byob on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I wonder how long that six-way split would last if it ever passes.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

gently caress, and I thought the 805 and 5 interchange was terrible in San Diego. :negative:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Pohl posted:

I've been here since November and I'm not sure I've actually met anyone from loving San Diego. This is the weirdest town.
Don't get me wrong, I love it here or I wouldn't have made the move. I just can not understand the people.

Edit: I think I just described why San Diego is so weird... everyone loving moved here and we hate each other.

I was born and raised near Camp Pendleton, and still live here. The biggest problem I've noticed over the years about this is that a lot of people who are from other parts of the country that get out of the military stay here. However, they incessantly bitch and complain about how poo poo California is as a whole but would never go back to where they're from.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

quote:

"The potential for runoff in the watersheds is larger than the storage capacity of the reservoirs," he said.

The state's biggest reservoirs have filled quickly before. In 1978, one wet year ended the 1976-77 drought, Anderson noted. And, he added, in 1993, heavy rains brought the 1987-92 drought to a close.
While it'll be nice to have the reservoirs filled, I think that this is the wrong message to be sending right now, as people might look at it and say "Oh, we'll be fine! I can use as much water as I want."

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Papercut posted:

Still doesn't annoy me nearly as much as people feeding birds and squirrels.

At least it isn't raccoons like Montreal. When I was there last month they had volunteers telling people not to feed them.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

This seems like the perfect time to take over the Hollywood Park racetrack rebuild and also jam through Carson/Compton/Hawthorne's Super Football plan.

Dear {Sports Team}, now YOU can play in the historic {Name} Dome, site of the 2024 Olympics!!

Really though what are they going to do? Raze the Coliseum? Rent out a shload of venues for events??
AirBnB will be making GBS threads cash if this actually happens.

Since USC took on the responsibility of long-term operation of the Coliseum, how would they get around that?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me-pol-california-ballot-measures-2016-20151108-story.html

15 to 19 propositions for 2016, oh my.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I personally like the one with binary.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Someone just needs to write the proper app and it will all fix itself!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Raising taxes on cigarettes is the most effective of all, but is regressive (impacts the poor most) and creates a smuggling problem. And somebody needs to regulate e-cigs fast, because they're like any other over-the-counter drug and should be tested for quality and content.

Speaking of regulating...

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My favorite water wars signs are the new ones: "Is Growing FOOD Wasting Water?"

As a matter of fact, yes, using water inefficient methods of growing crops not suited to the local climate IS wasting water.

They have a farming exhibit at the Del Mar Fair this year.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

"My violence is just violence."

What happens if fascists go away? Does your need for dumb violence go away or do you pick another group to attack?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Kenning posted:

I've said it before in this thread: I cannot loving wait for Feinstein to die.

Not empty quoting.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Kill all renters.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Thousands of California soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses a decade after going to war

I wonder how this will shake out over the years as the National Guard tries to sweep this under the rug as fast as possible.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Ugh, Issa won by just over 4000 votes.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My wonderful city, Oceanside, re-elected the incumbent City Treasurer Gary Ernst with 53% of the vote. He died in September.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Drifter posted:

Were these write-ins, or had the ballot just not been updated?:catstare:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-treasurer-dies-20160923-story.html

quote:

Because of state election rules, Ernst name will remain on the November ballot. If he is elected, the council will have to appoint a replacement, City Clerk Zack Beck said.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

coupbrick posted:

So where can I buy a box of the little plastic bags my supermarket can't hand out anymore?

?

Or spend like $5-$10 on a few reusable bags?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

In Oceanside, they have opened up applications for the City Treasurer spot, an elected position that a dead guy won.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Kind of hosed up that they're using this as an opportunity to stealth turn an elected position into an appointed one, but I can't say I'm surprised at all. Nobody hates democracy more than a city council.

The most vocal council member about it is Jerry Kern, who probably still holds a grudge against the lady who ran for Treasurer as she was part of a recall election against him in 2009.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

themrguy posted:

Evidently we aren't America anymore.

"I'm taking my ball and going home to Texas."

I've never seen someone take losing an election so poorly.

Oh no whatever will we do without Paul Chabot!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh man this is good.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I didn't even know Faulconer was planning on running.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

TheDon01 posted:

Dunno if this is the correct thread for it, but it's the closest I could find on the first couple pages of DnD.

My wife is hispanic and looking for some books on early American-hispanic relations, injustices, politics, labor rights etc.

The majority of what she's found with some quick searching is kids books, fictional novels, or personal memoirs. She's looking more for a historical analysis/discussion type book.

If you know of a better thread to ask in that be cool too.

This one might be of use: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416322

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

I've said freeway my entire life and I've literally never met the subhuman, non-Californian trash that says highway. I refuse to believe people who say interstate exist.

Never go to North Carolina.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Hopefully this will be the final push to get Issa out of my district.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well I mean the alternative is that he's a layperson who thinks he's in a position to give CalFire and local FDs/EMSAs his opinions on how to best manage fires. :shrug:

God drat if you think everyone operates on the two extreme ends of anything then that explains a lot.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

gently caress I didn't realize Pat Bates is the Republican leader in the Senate.

It sucks being represented by her and Darrell Issa. :negative:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We should just try nothing ever.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

So this is where we end up when too many cop tv shows are burned into the American psyche.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Inland San Diego County has affordable home prices but only if you like living in sun blasted desert hellscapes full of Trump loving rednecks.

No one wants to live in Santee.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

A challenger appears to Feinstein.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Issa was super close last time. Less than 2k votes.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 11, 2017

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Duckbox posted:

Meanwhile, San Diego is lovely.

We'll get ours soon, we're overdue.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Woops!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I wanted to move to California, where should I go?

Ocotillo

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Serious answer: Fresno.

Fresno is about equidistant from SF and LA. It's a relatively short drive to Sacramento. But it's also a short drive from Yosemite and Kings Canyon, two of the most beautiful places in the world.

It also has pretty much everything a big city would have other than major sports teams. And it's cheap.

But.... frenso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not always. If you go to visit San Diego they won't know you're from Fresno, they'll assume you're from Arizona and hate you even more.

Zonies go home