Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

For those of ya'll not in the know, California is a huge state located on the West Coast of the U.S. We flaunt our liberalness, but we also have a shitton of rich people and are the origin of those really frustrating copyright laws. Thanks, RIAA! :commissar:

Other selling point for our state include our diverse climate (seriously, there's more to us than Los Angeles), the tech industry (we will soon be renaming San Francisco "Zuckerbergia"), and our really nice wine industry.

Oh, and weed. We really like weed. :420:

Recently, we have once again come under the rule of our benevolent overlord, Jerry Brown.

Taxes have gone up a smidgen, but our public education system is getting better, and our deficit is finally under control. LONG LIVE LORD BROWN.

Post anything related to California politics, or life in general here if it's tangentially related to politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
My TAs went on strike for a day a few weeks ago. Their main gripes were the class sizes (my anthropology class has 500 people) and their crappy working conditions.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

I'm a history major, though I've no idea what I'll do with that. Perhaps I'll end up asking my uncle to find a job for me.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

One of the benefits of the system is that I can vote for a third party candidate in the primaries without feeling like I'm wasting my vote in the general. If by some miracle the third party candidate beats either the GOP or Dem one, it's a realistic two-way race in November.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah this system actually helps third parties because previously "safe" red/blue districts can be challenged by 3rd parties from their left/right rather than the general being uncontested. No longer is the Democratic primary the final election in SF.

I'd love it if an actual third party got onto the general this way. Has that happened yet?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Bizarro Watt posted:

Mailed in my ballot weeks ago. I love being able to do that.

My ballot choices were mostly mainstream Democratic probably, though I avoided Alex Padilla for Secretary of State.

I voted straight Green Party whenever they were available and Democrat when they weren't.

The way I see it, Round 1 in the new system is for throwaway/protest votes, and Round 2 is for meaningful votes.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Dave47 posted:

In 2002 French leftists split their first round Presidential votes across a dozen parties, and consequentially faced a meaningful Round 2 choice between a conservative and a fascist.

If you support the Green party, then you should totally vote for them! But the first round of voting isn't a "throwaway" round.

The United States is a rigidly 2-party country which is about as likely to put a third-party candidate as one of two choices in a statewide election as Poland is to elect a Communist Party to lead them.

It's a throwaway vote because a Democrat/Republican race is a foregone conclusion.

AYC fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 4, 2014

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

I was one of the votes for Laura Wells.

I guess this is what it felt like to vote for Ralph Nader in 2000. :fuckoff:

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Xaris posted:

Honestly, it's not. There are a lot of great bars, food, buildings, cost of living is cheap, lot of great fresh local produce, and Tahoe is a jump away. As far as California cities, I liked living in Davis and Sacramento. But it's rather car centric and gets really loving hot in the summer/fall and I don't like the heat :colbert:

Davis? Car-centric? Are you sure that you lived in the same city I do?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Still waiting for a Dem or GOP vs. third party two-way race. Even if the third party lost, it'd be nice to have a non-polar option for a change.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Shouted my voice hoarse when I went to a protest against the proposed tuition hikes in the UC system today. We marched across campus and occupied the administration building. It felt good.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.dailycal.org/2014/11/19/breaking-tuition-increase-policy-passed-uc-regents-committee/

Aaaaand the regents passed the tuition increase.

gently caress the privatization of the UC system and the increasing unaffordability of it. If Germany can send their kids to school for free, isn't there a way to offer higher education without families having to sell their entire life savings to do so?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

Good on you for being at the protests! This tuition hike sucks, and unfortunately it's looking like it's going to be "the new normal" for a while. As an undergrad I knew multiple people who had to drop out because they could no longer afford UC tuition, and it's just going to get worse. There's not even a lot we can do about it, because the Regents are completely unaccountable to non-billionaires, and can dodge the PR issue by blaming lack of state funding (which is admittedly a huge part of the problem). I wonder if it would be possible to organize huge protests at the capitol next time they pass a budget. It'd be hard since there's no UC Sacramento, but I could see organized carpools bringing people in from Davis, Berkeley, and Santa Cruz.

I wish we could find some influential billionare with some sympathy towards us who could fund a ballot measure that would limit tuition to $1500/yr at all UC campuses (which is what I pay w/ my CalVet fee waiver). They can only gently caress us over for so long before it becomes unsustainable.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Forceholy posted:

It won't stop. With tuition rising AND non-STEM departments being slashed? UCs are slowly turning into elitist trade schools.

What can we do stop this? A general strike against going to all classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

There's probably not enough support for that, and it'd just be a symbolic effort because the Regents already have the money you paid for the classes you'd be skipping and they are very adept at dodging bad PR. Honestly I have no idea how to stop it, but it literally can't go on forever. At some point, non-wealthy people will stop being able to pay for college, and they either won't go or won't be able to pay their debts after graduation (the government can only garnish wages so much). Either way the bubble will pop when the UCs can't pay their bills, and we'll probably have another Great Recession on our hands.

Edit: I really should say there's not enough support for an effective general strike without a big PR campaign. You could probably accomplish a lot with a general strike if you got enough people in on it. Basically I think you would need enough that the press is forced to frame the anti-tuition-hike people as "all students" instead of "a small group of students".

It would have to be well-planned several months in advance; since UC students use the quarter system, we could make it so that it starts at the beginning of winter quarter (5 Jan this year).

Just throwing ideas out there.