Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, half of Hawaii (the leeward half) is just as dry as Southern California, so the tropical look can be drought tolerant. But you know the answer to your question, its because its a rich community that can afford it.

If you're interested, I'd check to see who has the contract for the county/cities' lawn/green services and then figure out which council member is their relative. Its a fun game! Where I used to live it was actually one of the board members who had the contract for all maintenance and lawn care issues. His company won the bids every time :rolleyes:

My experience on the leeward side was less 'tropical look' and more like 'desolate volcanic hellscape'. Still pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I must have missed when Arizona elected a gay schoolteacher to Congress.

This and "a bad driver was mean to me, therefore this entire town of hundreds of thousands of people is full of shitheads" is pretty loving funny.

Yeah, but it's hot and far away from the ocean, so Riverside still sucks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Only in the California thread would some doofus call a community an hour from the beach and whose average temperature high only breaks 90 during the summers as "hot and far from the ocean".

California - the state where the people living in some of the most beautiful country in America get rear end-hosed for housing and have to console themselves by looking down their noses at the places that are merely "good".

Edit: Like, this thread is indulging in the most boring area tribalism imaginable - the same kind of stupid chest-beating poo poo that Kevin and Bean have been doing for years with their "909" garbage - and the only reason I posted at all was because you literally have a guy in his mid-to-late thirties blaming the geographical area he was in at the time for a mean driver, and another guy saying that it's got the same political bent as Arizona. That's dumb, bad, stupid nonsense.

If you're going to engage in this chest-beating behavior, as somebody who has lived all over Southern CA and is married to someone from the Bay Area/Central Coast, here's my response: We get it. You think everyone that's not currently paying 2k a month for a shoebox at the beach is a dumb hick moron idiot who lives in a scorching dustbowl full of poo poo. Feel better now?

Haha, are you for loving real? It was the most transparent joke imaginable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zeitgueist posted:

It's unreal how every city's answer to homelessness is to drive them to somewhere else.

Now, now. Some cities try to set up a support network which last until some new people move in and then those new people try to drive the homeless elsewhere. See Venice, Santa Monica, and inexplicably Skid Row now. It still boggles my mind that people move to areas known fore mostly for their homeless population and then are shocked and outraged that they have to look at homeless people everyday.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 11, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The most compelling demonstration of his political legacy imaginable. What more could a Presidential library ask for?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pohl posted:

You failed to mention that budget was for firefighting.
I read what you wrote and I was like, what...?

Don't worry, they will find more money, and they will have Federal funds coming in to help with the effort. No one is going to just stop fighting fires because the budgeted money runs out.

Yeah, but it is a sign of a new budget pressure. The cost of fighting fires is only going to go up as the climate changes and more and more sprawl rubs up against fire prone areas.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

on the left posted:

Students shouldn't be suspended or expelled from university without a guilty verdict in a criminal trial, doubly so when it happens off campus. The fact that it happens at all is terrible, it's not a good thing that only "29 to 68 percent were suspended".

I hope that the court cases against colleges, and court cases against the people who accused them of rape are successful because it's the only thing that might stop this problem.

What about for academic dishonesty or other charges that aren't criminal charges? Are you suggesting they be civil court cases or something?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bizarro Watt posted:

I don't really see how Jerry Brown is a Republican in disguise.

I don't see all the cuts state labor and public education have taken over the years being fully made up any time soon while he's governor. He's much too *fiscally prudent* to do that. To top it off he's got the legislative backing to do more for both.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

The budget is passed by the state legislature, which is dominated by the Democratic party. If Brown is a republican because of budget cuts, then so are the rest of them.

Except as a senior statesmen with more political cred and depth then the whole legislature put together there's no real way for the legislature to challenge Brown's moderatism. The times they've tried to pressure him from the left he's spanked them like a bad puppy. Though that's not say all of the legislature has great credentials on the issues.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

No doubt his position and authority helps a lot. But I think it's a long way from being a moderate corporatist democrat with fiscally conservative leanings, and being a Republican; and I think most of the legislature is in the same mood as most of the public... coming out of years of fiscal crisis and not being too eager to spend.

This would carry more weight if Brown weren't forging ahead with the high speed rail project. I mean I'm not against it on principle though I am a bit leery of some of the specifics. But it's hard to argue that you're all about fiscal responsibility and cutting costs in a time of excess and then break ground on a project which will take several billion dollars from the state at the least to complete.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

So, Brown is a Republican because he hasn't gone nuts restoring the education budget to previous levels in the face of a slow CA recovery, but he's not a Democrat on the basis of being willing to break ground on a voter-mandated transportation/infrastructure project that will cost money in future years, much of which will come from federal funds?

I think you're just sore about the education budget (which is reasonable) and calling him names as a result (which is not). Jerry Brown may or may not be a good governor, but he's not a Republican and it's silly to say he is.

Honestly my bigger beefs are with the cuts to state labor and the state courts before those to education. And if you go by old school Republican values instead of the pants on head craziness that is the current Republican party, cuts to labor, education and a system chockfull of minorities while spending on infrastructure isn't unheard of. Even factoring in the benefits of moving now on high speed rail, Brown has pushed for bond measures and funding for other infrastructure improvements in a way that has been markably absent for other pressing issues. Obviously he's better than Kashkari and way better than whatever tea party nut was run out of the Central Valley, but I don't think it's a mystery why more leftist elements in the party might be grumbling.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GrumpyDoctor posted:

They actually cut a bunch of them down a couple years ago specifically for that reason. Of course all the local hippies threw a fit.

Really? They're invasive with strong allelopathic effect that crowds out pretty much any native plants. Surely the local hippies would be happy for the chance to plant some fire resistant Californian oak species?

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 18, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Nope. Trees good. Cutting down trees bad. Case closed.

Also there was some use of :supaburn:herbicide:supaburn: to keep them from growing back.

Do you know which agency was responsible for the removal, or have a link to an article about it or something? I'd be interested in reading about their approach to public outreach.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Slobjob Zizek posted:

If you go all the way back to the financial crisis / CA's budget crisis 5 years ago, you'll see that the state substantially divested itself from the UC. The state chose K12 / prison / Medicaid funding over UC funding, mostly because of voter demographics (I think). Anyway, the only way to reverse the tuition hike trend is to raise taxes or push down costs in one of those other sectors.

The state did make some serious budget cuts during the crisis, but the UC system has more than filled the gap that was left through previous tuition hikes. This latest increase isn't out of necessity, it's because they've realized the demand is going to be greater than supply no matter how much they raise tuition rates, so why not go hog wild with it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
It's anecdotal, but in my experience the Tenderloin has the highest concentration of feces/vomit per square foot of sidewalk in the nation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

This further confirms my creeping suspicion that my personal experiences are a completely suitable replacement for suitable data.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
My system used to be that if I felt cold I'd put on a jacket, but I guess from now on I have to consult strangers on the internet to see if it's actually an appropriate temperature.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The storm watch stuff honestly makes a bit of sense these days, with all the burn areas we have now a little bit of rain has a good chance of bringing a hillside down on top of a community somewhere. Hell, I haven't been able to use PCH as an alternate route in my commute up to Oxnard in the last few days because a huge stretch of it is completely shut down and they're digging it out now.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
"Headed for the Frisco Bay" is an excellent Otis Redding lyric, thus all uses of Frisco are acceptable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

When I was growing up "SF" and "San Fran" were acceptable, but I never heard "Frisco".

I've never met anyone from Orange County who likes the name OC, though.

gently caress the OC, they don't get a say in what people call them, the crotchety mother fuckers.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

drilldo squirt posted:

What if I dont wana buy a loving bag when they used to be free.

Does anyone actually buy tote bags? I'm drowning in like a dozen of them and I've never bought a single one. Just keep an eye out for opportunities to snag free totes and you'll have plenty soon enough.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

doctorfrog posted:

I hope in 20 years cats become the next plastic bag. Take that to mean the absolute worst of whatever you want it to mean.

I may or may not know of "possum traps" that were actually meant to target cats near bird habitat.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The good news is that parts of Northern California may get up to a foot of rain this weekend. The bad news is that it's supposed to stay warm enough that the snow levels will be 8,000 to 10,000 feet, resulting in no change to snowpack levels.

Welcome to the new normal everyone.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm aware of the historical variability in California's climate, I was mostly commenting on the global trend of increasing average temperatures which going forward is going to limit snowpack creation in California. As has been pointed out, California getting more moisture doesn't mean much if it's not in a form which we're prepared to utilize and I suspect our handy snowpack is going to become a think of the past, moisture or no moisture.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ardennes posted:

It this case the city of Inglewood (almost entirely black and latino) would be saddled with it, it seems to be a thing now to find smallish cities in metro areas to build stadiums in. The article doesn't give any specifics about what the costs will be either.

This is what the 5 or 6th attempt to attract another football team to the LA metro area?

What really makes it crazy is that the NFL just did this last loving season only to pull the ball away just as Los Angeles was about to kick it. They made it really clear that they don't actually have an interest in moving a team to Los Angeles, but all the city institutions seem all lined up ready to desperately fellate them until we get a team.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
This morning on the 405 north, a little after the Mullholland exit, I noticed some California poppies in full bloom on the road side embankment, so that was nice.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FilthyImp posted:

No poo poo! I was there two years ago and saw nothing. Guess they peeled $29 off of the repaint of the Sun God to do it.

Sounds a lot like the LAUSD's attempt to modernize their student information system (which ran on DOS and was coded in god knows what in the 80s). For a command line interface it was actually very rich, but you needed to know a bunch of commands (ID51, TR04) to get anything done.

But it only runs on WinXP, as the virtualized environment in 7 is janky. And XP is nearing its end of life, leaving an entire district with its core student database running on potentially unsupported hardware. Ouch.

So in 2009 they hire out a new system ISIS, which is web based. But they didn't allocate any money for bug squashing and support. So they got a half-baked system that didn't work for poo poo that they couldn't fix. Awesome!

Thankfully they learned their lesson and hired internal coders, working with Microsoft on a newer replacement for the replacement called MySIS. Which is also broken (it deleted the ENTIRE master scheduling data for a school two days before the year started. Randomly) but far more functional than the last pile of poo poo they tried to launch.

We're 3/4 of the way into the year and the integrated grade book function is vaporware, college counselors have had to compute GPAs by hand (and certify them to colleges themselves because that didn't work either), and the old superintendent has been fired.

Just hearing about when they upgraded the payroll system in the early 2000s makes me :negative:

That's not even touching on Deasy's involvement in the whole iPad roll out and subsequent revelations of possible sweetheart deals with software vendors. Dude had kind of a lovely run as superintendent.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Trabisnikof posted:

That sounds like a lot of effort, I'm just going to blame teachers instead.

Hey man, they get pensions. Even I don't get a pension! Better cut compensation in order to boost the quality of teaching.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CPColin posted:

Meanwhile, the CSU system cruises along doing ????

Nah, it's pretty poo poo too. Major tuition hikes in the last 10 years, difficult time getting classes you need, consideration of cutting "unproductive" majors. It just doesn't get the exposure that the UCs do.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SlimGoodbody posted:

For real though, what ideas are being floated for this? By anyone. Anyone at all.
Desal plants? Learn to drink ethanol? What do we do here?

80% of all state water goes to Central Valley ag. 20% is for urban use, which includes industrial and landscaping uses. We're fine for drinking and cleaning water far into the foreseeable future, it's the business end of things where tough decisions are going to have to be made.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pervis posted:

Sadly those millions of water users aren't actually downstream from this water, and don't actually have a right to that water beyond what federal law allows, so gently caress em. Getting 50% of the water from the Trinity river system instead of 75% is still good.

Anyways, the problem is that the amount of water rights sold as part of the Central Valley project exceeds the actual inflow over time available to use (by a lot). This is similar to the problem with Lake Mead - the allocations between the states involved in the Colorado River and Mexico actually exceeds the amount that flows through the river over time, so Lake Mead continues to drop. There's talk about building more storage in CA, but that would only help if we were letting vast amounts of water flow out - we're not. The amount of outflows needed to sustain the fisheries that we're required to sustain by federal law, plus the amount of agricultural use, exceeds the amount of inflows by a good margin.

Water rights were oversold, similar to airlines overselling flights (but way worse here), and now at some point that'll have to be addressed.

This has been an hugely evident problem for years. A slow motion train wreck that people feel is too difficult to try to stop.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, but those "business end of things" will have a significant impact on many people's livelihood. Not just farmers either. The price of produce will most likely go up as water gets more expensive, for example, and this will affect low income people the most.

Of course, and some smaller communities may up getting such a short end of the stick on water rights that they actually just run out of all water completely and some residents might have to figure out a new solution for drinking water. But big picture it's not as if there's a serious drinking water shortage as the poster jokingly implied.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nm posted:

Remember though that ag props up the central valley (Sacramento exempted) and that is already the poorest part of the state.
Without at, Fresno, for example, is even more hosed.
Residents may be able to drink water, but they'll be less likely to have jobs than even today.
This isn't to say at should get a free ride, they waste a lot of water, but we can't just say gently caress ag. Also, most of the food you eat that isn't coern, wheat, or beef is probably from the valley unless it is imported.

I think something that gets missed when talking about ag in the central valley is that by and large, water allocations is the limiting factor in a lot of operations. What I expect to happen and what most economic models (a very speculative endeavor to be sure) have shown, is that even with major cuts to water allocations, ag doesn't up and disappear. There is a shift to crops that are less water intensive, but with a smaller profit margin. This leads to a definite economic hit, but unless things begin to approach Mad Max levels of water shortages, things continue more or less on an even keel. Even then ag makes up less than 5% of California GDP. Yes that's significant and yes that would be increased by a knock-on effect from communities sustained by agriculture losing out, but it's not critical. Water management is definitely a critical issue for the state, and one that I don't think is being handled particularly well. It's not as if I want California's ag to suffer major setbacks from water shortages and climate change, it's just that someone was joking about drinking water and I wanted to make it clear that that usage is not something that even makes a blip in the radar and is not something that will be the major water issue for most Californians.

I think you guys are reading some kind of intention in my original post that simply isn't there.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Can we table nuke powered desal until after we've instituted toilet to tap?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Trabisnikof posted:

If you live in southern California you probably already do drink toilet to tap.

I know a significant portion of Orange County is toilet to tap, but I haven't heard of any other extensive operations outside of that. Most other counties have recycled water, but not for human consumption.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zachack posted:

What do you think toilet to tap is?

Potable reuse, the recycled water is used to augment the drinking water supply. Orange County currently has indirect potable reuse, it's been squelched in the other Southern California counties, mostly because the public thinks it's gross. Even if, as I've previously stated, drinking water is a very small portion of California's overall water use, getting potable water through recycling rather than massive desalinization projects seems preferable. I've never heard the term used in reference to outdoor or industrial reuse.

Trabisnikof posted:

If you drink water from the Colorado river it went through a sewage treatment plant at some point.

Just because fish and birds then poop in it too, somehow makes it cleaner.

Fair enough, as this episode proved people are weird about human waste in their water that's otherwise exposed to the elements. I'd like to see it implemented as explicit policy and end the practice of discharging wastewater into the ocean outside of emergency situations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
If we're going to post about straws...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
My secret shame is that I actually read a lot of popular short fiction and don't know much about funny pictures. I'm a disgrace to Something Awful.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I've found that the hatred is pretty much one way. I have yet to meet a Southern Californian who has strong opinions on Northern California beyond rolling their eyes at the use of "hella".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nm posted:

Could have to do with the state paying almost 1/3 the amount per student today than they did in 1974.

Good news though, the UC is cutting the admin bloat! A faculty assistant (who is classed as admin, but really is a researcher and is masters minimum and Ph.D preferred) just got a faculty position at UCD. She was previously paid $55k, which for a Ph.D ain't much. Her replacement? UC put a $35k per year cap on the job. For a STEM masters.
But next year, the spending will go down a whole $20k (or possibly 55k, as no qualified applicants have applied given the pay).

I once earned $20K a year working prep at a fast food restaurant.