Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I got a photo with Denise Crosby, she was chilling at the baggage claim. That's my nerd moment.

My female friend was sitting in a conference room and lo and behold, Ron Jeremy sitting next to her. She got a photo of him kissing her cheek. I didn't know if I should have vomited or gave her a high five.

why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm drive by posting to say that I marked my ballot and I intend to mail it in tomorrow morning

suck it uber

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

It's most certainly going to be either Padilla or Becerra, both of whom are Next In Line.

I agree with this

porter is my us rep and I hope she's re-elected for another 2 years but I feel that she doesn't have quite the statewide name recognition that would give her the incumbent advantage if she were appointed to us senate and then try to keep her seat

also, assuming that Porter was re-elected, they would need to fill her us rep seat and the only other person I would trust is Dave Min and I hope he wins the state senate seat he's gunning for now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I thought California's American Independent party had agreed to change their name so that new voters don't have to scratch their head when figuring out the "no party preference" option when registering to vote

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

have Biden start packing the Supreme Court with Porter

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CPColin posted:

I voted two weeks ago and have taken great joy in tossing all the election mailers since then straight into the recycling bin :twisted:

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My area kept Katie Porter (US Rep that got the CDC to promise free covid tests) and kicked out a republican incumbent for state senator so I'm happy I'm doing my part.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Senator Arnold Schwarzenegger, you know, to reach across the aisle and show everyone how future president gavin newsom wants to heal the country

DO IT

DO IT NOW

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Here is the official website, I think

https://covid19.ca.gov/notify/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Looks like a pilot program that only works on select UC campuses.

This is probably why information about it is really hard to come by and why advertising is nonexistent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don’t think I’d put Apple in the same category as a company who literally sells every bit of your personal data for advertising dollars.

Plus, if you’re worried about privacy, you wouldn’t posting anything from a device that knows your exact GPS coordinates at all times, has all your contact info in it, possibly your work data, anything about you, has a web browser that tracks your phub usage, has a Facebook app that scrapes every single piece of data legally and not legally possible.

This notification system is the least of your privacy concerns and people should absolutely use this, especially since the whole state has gone to poo poo in the past month. Any little bit helps and I hope this app expands to all users ASAP, even if it is like 6 months too late.

e: I just looked and I’m eligible to enable notifications. Cool. Not in a UC campus either.

I think anyone can enable notifications, but you won't be notified unless the covid carrier gets tested at a participating UC so it could just be pandemic theater for now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Welcome to California, here's your complimentary mimosa.

wait, brunch is back??

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fermun posted:

It's super weird that Gascon never pushed through any of these reforms when he was DA of SF, but I guess the BLM movement this year has totally changed the political climate so he did something he always could have done as DA in SF but I guess thought there would be too much backlash against. Owns though.

That's the feeling that I get. If his actual platform included radical change, and he gets elected, he has the mandate to do the right thing since it's clearly the will of the people. (if the incumbent was elected then reforms are just :shrug:)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

CA Notify is live:
https://canotify.uchealth.edu/

Please use this on your phones.

That is a good link but this one is marginally better since the url is shorter:

https://canotify.ca.gov/

I'm pretty sure the content of the websites are exactly the same.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Last approval polls I could find for Newsom were in December and had him at over 50% approval. When Davis was recalled I think he was below 30% and that recall vote was still 55-45, so I think Newsom doesn't have a lot to worry about. I haven't seen any polling specific to this effort, but they've been collecting signatures since March and still haven't gotten the 1.4 million they need. They're claiming it's COVID's fault but I'd be willing to bet a lot of voters remember the last recall and don't want to go through that mess again. And then when you read their rationale for holding a recall election it's just the same old list of conservative grievances that they've been pissy about forever:

All your favorites are here: Taxes! Water! Death penalty! IMMIGRANTS RAAAAAAAARGHGHGHGH! With special guest Prop 13.

Frankly, those favorites are why I think Newsom is still doing an "ok" job. Not a great leader, but he's not doing as bad as a lot of other governors.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Newsom probably could have added a bit of goodwill from the electorate too if he followed his own COVID-19 guidelines.

Imagine how much better it would have been if California had a governor following the same social distancing and isolation rules as everyone. Could even do a new personal youtube video every day to speak to regular Joe Californians and record his slow descent into madness until the loneliness overtakes him completely.

Instead though we got the French Laundry thing.

This is how I really feel about Newsom. Instead, we still have cities running roughshod over the homeless and newspapers talking about despair coming from people who've fallen through the safety nets. A more left leaning governor might have done something about that but a right-leaning "business-first" governor would just say that this is the "will of the people". So the talk about Newsom being primaried is probably more likely, but he's got two more years to burnish his image.

On the other hand, it's pretty funny how local leaders were all like "Newsom is a terrible leader for putting orange county in with the rest of the southland and closing all of us up when we're doing fine, let us open up Newsom!" and today it's "STAY THE gently caress HOME PLEASE, ICU CAPACITY IS ZERO". The true reason why everything is closed is because of the pandemic, and the pandemic is getting worse because of assholes who don't want to wear masks, rather than a governor trying to keep it together with the resources he has, and trying to please the groups that he thinks are important.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The most I can hope for is that Biden provides a clear view of what the heck is going on, and a path to predictable vaccine distribution so that more vaccines are going to fhe right people. And then Gavin can actually help direct the response at the state level.

Although as much as I would have liked Gavin to lead from the pulpit, I can see that there is too much cynicism to listen to any caution directly from him. "Good enough Gavin" will probably keep his head low until the next state of the state. Not like he doesn't have enough to do anyway.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Trump has lived in the collective american conscious for the past X many years and I can't wait until he's evicted and we only hear about him once every other week and not once per day if not per hour.

If he moves to California and actually takes up California residency then I hope the state spends a non zero amount trying to get him to pay California taxes. At which point he'll just move to Texas. They could use a new golf course!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bawfuls posted:

:lol: Joe doesn’t have a clear view of what’s going on how can he provide poo poo?

he doesn't have a clear view now

I expect that to be remedied pretty soon after he gets into office

Joe doesn't have a magic wand but he can get things done a lot better than the guy in office right now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I had one friend move last summer(to somewhere near Houston), and I've lived here all my life, and it's more common for people to move here than otherwise.

Also, home prices have not gone down, and home sales volume has gone up, I think, so there's even less to panic over.

The LA times covered it. Lots of reasonable reasons to move out, including cost of living and home prices, but the article doesn't treat it as a mass exodus like out of state (or in-state republican) politicians are viewing it as.

EDIT: the article in question: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-12/california-exodus-intensifying-retirees-musicians-teachers-actors

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 25, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, keep in mind that for a lot of tech companies expanding outside of California, they are moving corporate functions, not technical functions. Their existing technical teams will stay in place, in Silicon Valley, because that's where the talent is. They can get paid what they're worth or get poached by another startup or big company and it makes no sense to move to where the demand for their skills does not translate to higher pay or workers' protection.

Also, as mentioned above, a lot of the allure is less the taxes and more the available space. San Francisco is crowded. San Diego is crowded. Los Angeles and its tech heavy suburbs and satellites are crowded. And as a result, traffic is terrible and housing is bad and homelessness just gets worse. Young college grads are more likely to go to a place where you can opt to own at a reasonable percentage of your income without having roommates.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, I really need a haircut. I love my hiking hats but they don't go with my work outfits

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kenning posted:

Yeah my head looks like poo poo. On the other hand I don't wanna die. Hard choices.

I'm probably going to wait until icu levels are at a good level and not simply "projected". So probably another month from now. Or maybe just wait until everyone gets the vaccine.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Goodpancakes posted:

I've been getting take out at some places and people have been sitting inside for weeks. But I'm also in Orange County

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well, we could use the rain, but we won't need the humidity or the politicians or the trump or the trump cultists

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

jetz0r posted:

Choose one voting is awful, this should be a checkbox poll.

Unironically. It's the best voting system. Easy to understand, easy to count, and works with dumb huge lists like this.

goku option or no recall

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I was a super sheltered straight as an arrow dork who grew up in Idaho and didn’t get high until I was 30 and even I knew what weed smelled like. And this was in CALIFORNIA??

I can see myself living a life where I never see or smell something that was identified as pot later on, and I lived my whole life in southern california. Depending on the life you live, you really have to go out of your way to find it.

Now, pot has a distinct smell, but a sheltered person wouldn't know to put two and two together unless it was pointed out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Sure, but then you have the taste. Even if he didn’t know what pot tasted like, as soon as he took a bite surely the taste would be WAY different than a normal brownie and he would immediately ask what the hell is in the brownie. Right? RIGHT?

To be honest, I've never eaten or smoked pot, just smelled it.

I guess the peer pressure must have gotten to him. Maybe they told him that they were vegan to throw off the suspicion. I don't know, but it's a lovely situation to be in.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Here's a thought: insurance companies are inherently bad, like cops, and need to be destroyed, like American policing. Universal healthcare for all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just got my parents to sign up for the first round of the Moderna vaccine through the county (Orange). They were initially notified of the opportunity through an e-mail, which has a link to a server that doesn't exist.

Thankfully, the e-mail also said to try logging in via the app, and that worked fine.

Never push an update to production on a Friday!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My parents just got their 1st dose covid19 vaccine shots from Orange County. At no point were they asked for insurance information or payment. They are over 65.

Their healthcare providers, though, were much less helpful. My mom's healthcare provider (Kaiser) told her that she was not 75+ (or in any other priority groups) and would have to wait. My dad was not given a timeline for vaccination by his healthcare provider. Needless to say, the county route worked better and it was free.

So, depending on the county (in which you live, or in which you work), that route may work better for you.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

orange county's an ok place to live

I'm proud to have Katie Porter as my us representative.

Anyways I think our health department moves a bit slower than most but I wouldn't be surprised if teachers are next on the eligibility list once they work through the back log of elderly people. I would agree that teachers should be higher priority on the list but I'm not the health department.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you'd have to be kind of a psychopath, or at least a misanthropic nerdy shut-in, to escape the last year without some amount of depression, loneliness, or anxiety

well, I guess I hope I'm not a psychopath

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Not too much room in south Orange County.

Funny enough, there's a car dealership in Laguna Hills being torn down for low income elderly housing, and the Laguna Hills Mall (laguna hills has a mall?) is being torn down slash updated to be mixed-use including open air retail and ... of course ... housing.

So, if you think "plenty of room" means "plenty of commercial space to be converted to housing" then yeah, there's plenty. You just have to convince the city to change the zoning appropriately.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Don't forget that Oracle and HPE moved their corporate functions to Texas.

If this continues, and large companies pull similar moves, there will certainly be more housing stock. Maybe prices will go down. Maybe.

Still, I'm sure the BART will be fine.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

People from out of state always think that the 405 is like a parking lot.

The truth is that they are all parking lots in rush hour, but the 91 is just as painful if not more.

The funny thing is that outside of rush hour, there is no real reason to use the express lanes anyway unless there's an accident or other disturbance.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

California refused to lift the property tax cap to fix their schools

California is the state that passed Prop 8, aka "prop hate", which banned gay marriage

California voters voted to let gig worker companies force their workers to be classed as contractors

California democrats still have a supermajority in their congress (unless it changed recently), which they likely maintain by not going full left on all the issues and let the voters decide on really crazy ideas via propositions.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

California is a land of contrasts but at least Orange County has made significant strides into electing progressive officials in the past couple of years such as Dave Min for state senate and Katie Porter (incumbent for 2020) for US representative.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kenning posted:

California owns, but also sucks. Texas sucks, but also owns. The beautiful harmony.

they both have in-n-out, which owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Are they not invasive? Nutria certainly are, I always figured they had a similar niche

Nutria were brought here for pelts, not pets, from what I understand.

I would hope that capybaras are brought here just for being pets.