Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

fermun posted:

That the state shut everything down when they did is absolutely great. New Yorkers keep talking about how great a job Cuomo is doing, and uh... he's doing a loving terrible job. California shut down before testing even became really available and as more and more testing ability comes online, it is starting to look like we've got a shot at under 2% of the state population dying.

bad news about us supposedly shutting down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

... what are the renters then?

the poor aren't citizens, silly

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wicked Them Beats posted:

CA Dems when there's a Republican veto at the ready: "Health care for all! Let's do it!"

CA Dems when they control every branch with super majorities and can pass whatever they want: "....oh dang you actually wanted health care? Sorry that was just an example of things we COULD do if you voted for us."

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

krysmopompas posted:

The democrats aren’t in charge of the green party’s election processes. What would they do in this scenario?

Effortlessly make it so the green candidate doesn't get on any debate stage and gets zero coverage in the national media, treating them exactly like they've always been treated regardless of support. The only remotely relevant third party candidate in my lifetime got there because he was a billionaire who could buy enormous chunks of ad time and shovel money at the media to cover him

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There will never again be a supreme court justice appointed by a democratic president with a republican senate, 'but the scotus' is an irrelevant argument.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
laughing at the very idea of a country voluntarily joining the eu now

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Entire state government is already breaking federal law in a rico way by supporting marijuana businesses and the feds don't do poo poo, what's some obstruction of justice by way of destroying evidence loving matter lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Refried beans and ketchup??

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Tomorrow after living here since I was six years old I will be moving out of this state to go live in sin in washington. I love California and I absolutely despise California and I will miss it and be happy to see the back of it in equal measure. It has been a pleasure posting with you all, at least I'll still be on your side of the border when the western states pact declares independence after the chud states push through a constitutional convention or w/e the gently caress

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

Turn back! TUUUUUUURN BAAAAAACK!

Nope it's where basically all my close friends live and im moving in with multiple cool and cute girls among those friends, as opposed to here where everyone I knew growing up moved away years ago

DrSunshine posted:

What are Washington and Oregon like? I only visited Oregon once, and never been to Washington. I'd always assumed they were a lot like California, but whiter, and wetter (at least on the Western side).

It's just a totally different climate. I'm not even sure how to describe it. At least, compared to the Sacramento area, where I'm from.

It's small, for one thing, in that you never have the big, sweeping vistas where you can see nothing in the distance for miles and miles like in the valley, or the absolutely unbroken trackless nightmare forests of the north. It's not even just that it's more rainy than that there's a lot more weather in general, they get snow up there (which will be completely foreign to me, I've actually never been in snow) and have less of a summer: yes/no.

Also it never gets absolutely miserable poo poo gently caress hot and so sunny that looking anywhere outside without sunglasses makes your eyes want to die.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm moving to port angeles (currently in a nowhere liminal space of a rest stop in the middle of oregon because towing a trailer makes this already long trip even longer) which means it's fairly chudsylvania but despite that my friends never had any trouble finding doctors for trans care or have been hassled or assaulted (and also it's literally across the river from canada)

Meanwhile in blue rear end midtown Sacramento I got poo poo for being jewish, poo poo for being trans (including my last boss outing me to the entire office without my permission so I quit the job) and thrown out of the first doctors office I asked about hrt so, people suck in unpredictable ways

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

jesus dude did you sue this dickhead for hostile work environment? because that's the very hostile.

No, I'm poor. Hiring a lawyer for work related issues runs into the Samuel Vimes Boot Theory of poverty

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HelloSailorSign posted:

I thought most law offices that handle hostile work environment basically do them free consultation because it's usually pretty easy to establish, "yes, this was hostile" and the payouts for them make it worthwhile.

hard to convince a judge a supervisor correctly gendering you while presenting an award is hostile

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Still Dismal posted:

I am, to put it very mildly, not enamored of the prop. 13 landed gentry homeowner class, but I’m pessimistic about the effect that the pandemic will have on our chances of repeal. Homeowners will likely make up a even larger portion of the electorate than usual this election I think. Renters are more likely to have been evicted, in the process of moving and thus not registered yet, or moved out of the state entirely, etc.

:wave: hello from rural WA where i live in friends' living room now

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Somebody isn't familiar with Amazon Presents the Washington Post lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Class Warcraft posted:

Also city taxes/permits . My city taxes businesses on their GROSS income, not their net - which is insane and punishes certain types of businesses way more than others.

i mean, its pretty effortless for a corporation with enough money to hire an accountant and a lawyer to never make any net income so you can understand why it would be that way even if it punishes tiny businesses that aren't exploiting that poo poo

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

Back to the crazy wildfires for a minute,

The CA National Guard has no firefighting function ?

It's the prison labor thing again, isn't it ?

bingo, why train enough paid workers to handle the job when you have slaves. just need enough employees to oversee them

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Extortionist posted:

'Affordable' is relative--Sacramento rents have been skyrocketing for the past 5 or so years (~800-something for a one-bedroom in 2015 to ~1400 now).

This may or may not have anything to do with the influx of Bay Area refugees and the displacement of locals.

yeah, i had to move out of state this year because i got priced out of sac over the past ten years

i had a one bedroom apt smack in midtown (25th and I St, thereabouts) for 670 a month in 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
agriculture is a science, and should and would be done even in a revolutionary world with greater food localization by experts

so instead of 'have the valley feed itself with individual family farms' it'd be, the uc davis aggie school finally has its time to shine, annexes all the fields around davis/winters/woodland and feeds half the valley for a relative pittance of water compared to the poo poo rear end rich family barons farther south