Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

droll posted:

I heard the pacific northwest is a haven for white supremacists. Oregon only let white people live there back in the day, no blacks allowed. Portland is the whitest city in America? Oregon didn't ratify the 15th amendment until 58, didn't ratify the 14th until 78. The PNW is where a lot of the crazy neo-nazis want to create their white ethnostate and train their "militias".

Good coffee, though.

My dad used to live in a tiny town in Northern Idaho along the Clearwater River and that whole area felt as foreign to me as any foreign country I’ve been to. It’s the sort of place where you’ll hear people casually dropping the N-word in a bar. Just outrageously beautiful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Giving places like modesto and bakersfield some infrastructure and interconnectivity may help to redirect some of the projected growth to those cities rather than just piling more and more into a totally saturated area like the SF bay.

I’ve found people on the coasts dramatically underestimate how many people live on the 99 corridor between Bakersfield and Merced. And there’s so much room to expand. Communities like Tulare suddenly look a lot more appealing when you can commute to Fresno or Bakersfield in 20 minutes.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Why are landlords getting paid twice under this plan (back rent installments and tax credit)? Why not just pay them once by having the state pay people’s rent?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yuba City is certainly not the Central Valley. That's the southernmost reaches of Jefferson. My mom and sister report that mask use in the Fresno area is fairly reasonable, but I haven't been down there to see.

Yuba City has more in common with all the San Joaquin Valley towns than anyplace to its north imo. I barely even consider it part of the North Valley.

Central Valley right wingers really seem to have stepped up their obnoxious billboard/sign game lately. We just had another giant one go up along Hwy 99 that said “WELCOME TO SAN FRAN-CHICO. CITY OF FREE NEEDLES” and that’s like the third one this year.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The depressing thing is that after living through the Camp Fire in 2018, I awoke this morning to smoky orange skies, a Sauron sun, and lightly falling ash and my first thought leaving the house was "Oh good, the air isn't so awful that I need an N95 to take out the trash". I can already feel myself normalizing this.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Hey cool my power is out until Wednesday.

gently caress this failed rear end state.

Jesus, it looks like it’s basically every community in the Sierra Nevada foothills, all the way from Yosemite to Shingletown. Not the most populated corridor by any stretch, but still a hell of a lot of people to cut the lights out on for over a day.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Meanwhile in far NorCal, the entire City of Oroville is under an evacuation warning again after the entire town was evacuated in 2017 due to imminent catastrophic dam failure.

Oroville is also 10 minutes from Paradise. Butte County can't catch a break.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My County's public health department just temporarily lifted the restrictions on indoor dining due to smoke, and to give evacuees and people without power a place to hang out I guess. Our covid cases have been skyrocketing over the last few weeks and have never been higher, so it still seems like a questionable decision.

Do counties even have the authority to override the state and lift those restrictions? I wonder how many restaurants will actually close indoor dining again once everyone's power is restored and the smoke is gone.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

predicto posted:

depends on what tier your county is in. Which county?

Butte County. We're in the purple, widespread tier.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

CPColin posted:

Is this air quality sensor currently on fire, or what?

Literally yes. Much of Happy Camp was destroyed yesterday.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

adoration for none posted:

How is that even safe to be in, at that point people should be evacuated right?

Not safe, but you don’t get evacuated due to smoke, only told to stay indoors.

Unless you’re homeless in which case good luck.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Currently, so long as the new home is purchased for an amount equal to or less than your recently sold home's valuation AND you're over 55 AND the new home is either in the same county or in one of the ten counties that permit inter-county tax assessment transfers (Santa Clara is one of those counties, so you have your county plus nine other counties to choose from), you can maintain your previous tax assessment based on the original 1980 purchase price.

Taxable value of a home can grow annually by the rate of inflation or 2%, whichever is lower, and Prop 13 limits the tax to 1% of that value, so figure your current home valuation for tax purposes is around $180-$200k, regardless of what you sell for. So you'd be carrying a tax bill of maybe $1,900/year over to your new $1.5 million McMansion, which, without the carryover, would have meant an annual tax bill of $15k.

I think I have that all correct but it's been awhile since I did a deep dive into any of this stuff so someone correct me if I missed anything.

You wouldn't pay normal property tax on the difference between the $200k home and the $1.5 million mansion in that situation, where your new home is $1.3 million more expensive than the one you sold?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

In-N-Out has my favorite fast food fries, but only for the first five minutes, after which point they quickly cool down and become the worst fast food fries.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’ve been going to the gym again for the last couple months wearing an N95 and I’m usually the only one in a mask out of the 50+ people there at any given time. Grocery store masking is roughly 20%. This is in Butte County.

Once you drive 30 minutes north to Tehama County you’ll never see a mask in any context anywhere. The most rural of the rural counties never wore them to begin with, mandated or not.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

jetz0r posted:

How did other area fare after Sunday's storm?

Similar situation 90 minutes north in Butte County. Some big downed trees, a few flooded roads, and streams looking very full, but nothing too severe. Local reservoir is up 20ft. The dry soils were able to sponge up a lot of water, which spared us from serious flooding.

Of course now the ground is fully saturated and it’s only October, so any subsequent wet storms are going to be 100% runoff.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Trollologist posted:

Are all the Bums in LA a feature or a Bug?

Like, is the homeless population by design? because LA keep re-electing the same people from the same parties so it seem like this is the intentional outcome of the work being done, and if so, is that what LA wants?

I don't live in CA, so I'm just asking for clarification.

It’s a result of simply ignoring the problem. People absolutely hate the idea of spending money to help the “lazy and ungrateful” unhoused population. However, doing nothing to alleviate homelessness has a by-product of making it more visible, which is also intolerable to these fine, upstanding, employed citizens. This means that due to Martin vs Boise, some cities are reaching a tipping point now where in order to prevent the homeless from “overrunning and destroying” their parks and public spaces, they have to grit their teeth and actually provide housing and services.

LA still doesn’t have anywhere near enough capacity to shelter its unhoused population, so police are now much more limited in their ability to conduct sweeps (a good thing), and that means the encampments are more permanent and visible than ever.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

When I was young and dumb I played an hour of tennis in 450AQI and had a cough for a year. Nobody should be playing any soccer.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The recent storm failed to extinguish the Mosquito fire.

Smokeshow ain't over, folks.

It’s not going anywhere fast after the inch and a half of rain that got dumped on it. Yes, there’ll be some more smoke in the immediate vicinity, but as long as temps stay moderate and the wind is low I’d expect near full containment in the next three weeks, at which point it’ll only be smoldering.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

How many times could PG&E realistically go bankrupt and still emerge intact? There’s a whole swath of foothill communities just like Paradise, from Placerville to Grass Valley to Shingletown, that are at high risk. What happens when they burn the next one down? Is the CPUC so useless that they’d never break it up or municipalize it under any circumstances?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Hadlock posted:

PG&E has to maintain all the infra for pretty much the entire state right? Urban areas probably subsidize rural customers to a huge extent, and rural customers (or, infrastructure that services them anyways) are almost exclusively the source of wildfires.

Power for urban areas is usually generated a fair distance away, with the lines traveling through rural areas to get there. The neglected power lines in the rural Feather River Canyon that started the Camp Fire carry electricity to places as far away as Oakland. Just because the lines fail in rural areas doesn’t mean that’s where the power is going.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Spazzle posted:

Rain happens at Burning Man every few years. It reportedly just locks things down for a day due to mud. The rain there is going to stop tomorrow. The event opens in 6 days on sunday. It will effect groups going early to build big structures.

They were anticipating record rain as far north as Boise and Southeast Oregon, but it looks like it’s fizzling out. If earlier predictions held true, parts of the Black Rock Desert could have become a bathtub, but the burners appear to have gotten lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Hadlock posted:

That's kind of a lot of people? What are they complaining about? Does DC have less? The author isn't listed

Homelessness has become dramatically more visible here in Butte County over the last decade and city councils are doing everything in their power to immiserate the unhoused in hopes of driving them out, so yeah, I don’t understand why they’re implying that the problem here isn’t big enough to justify the spending.