Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pohl posted:

Is Oceanside a nice place? The only thing I can find against it is that the drive to anywhere sucks.
It's coastal north county San Diego, so it's nice by definition.

Unfortunately, it's the town that's right up against the gates of Camp Pendleton, which means the economy is geared around supporting enlisted Marines. Lots of fast food and surplus shops and rowdy bars and payday lending and tattoo parlors (but oddly, not many strip clubs - I guess you have to go down to Kearny Mesa for that), which makes it one of the seedier and higher-crime parts of coastal north county. Plus, as you note, it's a hell of a long way away from anything else, with bad traffic.

It's relatively cheap for coastal north county, especially compared to Carlsbad and Del Mar and Leucadia and Encinitas, so if you want to live near the coast it's not a bad choice. Just realize there's a reason it's cheaper than those places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trabisnikof posted:

In so much as House Republicans have blocked most federal support for infrastructure projects across the country that's true. Plus I imagine that'd be more difficult to do post-pork.
Every two years they shut down the government unless across-the-board spending cuts are enacted. They can barely be bothered to fund even the most vital functions of government (like not defaulting on our debt). You better believe transit and infrastructure funding to states get chopped during sequestration.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My usual rule-of-thumb is to vote "no" on propositions unless they're really, really good ideas.

But it seems like all the props this cycle are worth passing.

Am I reading this right? Did I wake up in in opposite-land this morning?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Only 6% counted, but Mike Honda has a 5 point lead over Ro Khanna in CA-17

:toot:

http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/us-rep/district/17/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Crossing my fingers here. It would be the highlight of the night, given how expectedly dismal everything else went.
Torlakson/Tuck is the only other race of interest, and it's 54/46 Torlakson with 14% counted.

:toot:

http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/superintendent-of-public-instruction/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Interesting, Secretary of State is suuuuuuuper close. 15% in, the Dem is trailing 49.7-50.3. I wonder why this race, of all the statewide races, is a squeaker.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

Why is prop 48 failing what the hell.
Injuns razzle frazzle :bahgawd:

And the sheer amount of money that poured in against 45 and 46 was something to see. If I never have to hear an ad mention "trial lawyers" again, it'll be too soon.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Because of the Prop 13 limits on taxing real estate, California's finances depend on income, sales, and business taxes, all of which are cyclical and very sensitive to the boom/bust dynamic our state has always labored under. Money sloshes into the state treasury in good times, and evaporates in bad times (which is tough because the state has to pay out more benefits in bad times). Anything to move the state off of its traditional feast-or-famine budgeting cycle is objectively good news.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
22% in, Torkalson is up 54.1/45.9, an 8.2% gap. Looks like public schools rule, private charters drool.

Another close race is Comptroller. The Dem (Yee) is only up 50.8/49.2.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mA posted:

I'm actually (pleasantly) shocked that Tuck didn't win, especially how things seemed to be trending during the last month and especially with the outside money rolling in.

I'm bummed about Chiu beating Campos in SF and Measure G going down, but it's not too surprising considering the hold that VCs and Tech has of the city these days.
Be cheered that Ro Khanna's explicit campaign of "I'll be a completely bought and paid for whore for whatever Facebook/Google/Apple wants to do" lost in Silicon Valley.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Senf posted:

Jean Quan was/is really, really unpopular.
She ordered the OPD to go in, batons-a-flyin', to break up the peaceful Occupy Oakland encampment. So the hell with her.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
From what I saw, the insurance companies bought every piece of airtime they could and just said "TRIAL LAWYERS TRIAL LAWYERS" over and over again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shear Modulus posted:

Re the Dem supermajority being gone: yep, that's about what happened.
2014 was like the most Republican year imaginable, and the Dems lost just a few seats in the state house and congress. The supermajorities will be back when the 2016 electorate goes to vote.

Sydin posted:

Also, welcome to San Jose. Don't buy into that whole "heart of Silicon Valley" crap, any company that means anything is in an outlying city of San Jose, or up in SF. I'm sure even Adobe realizes how dead downtown SJ is, and anybody who's important is probably spending the majority of their week at the SF office.

I lived in downtown SJ for four-ish years, and it was actually kinda eerie to see so many shops close down one by one. Don't worry though, I'm sure our new mayor Sam Liccardo will get things back on- hahahaha, SJ is so hosed.
SJ is so weird. It's at the heart of one of the most dynamic economies in the world, but the city itself is hollowing out like a gentler version of some dying rust belt metropolis.

Death Of Retail is a real thing, though. Even in rocket-fuel-powered Silicon Valley, you see a lot of empty storefronts and strip malls. I've noticed a lot of buildings are now being used for things that take up a lot of space but can't make much money, like martial arts dojos and dance schools and gymnastics classes. The last couple of times I've visited enclosed malls (Hillsdale, Valley Fair, etc.) I've been amazed at how little traffic their was in them and how low-end some of the stores were. I can't imagine what the retail industry looks like in a place where the economy is flat or struggling.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pervis posted:

I agree on the Death of Retail bit. There's a slim age range or social status that has enough disposable income to support mass retail right now. If you don't have kids or are a DINK couple you probably have some disposable income, but outside of that the economy has been crap over the long-term since ~2000 so the masses are stuck in the never-ending debt (Credit Card, Mortgage, Student Loan) cycle. Even in the Bay Area. The Silicon Valley, while paying substantially better on the surface, still shows the same general income/wealth inequality rise of the overall country. As goes California, so goes the nation, or something.
Yeah, Death of Retail is about 1) people increasingly buy stuff online now (Amazon is eating the universe, and it's only just begun), 2) the things people do buy are increasingly virtual goods (netflix downloads, e-books, candy crush powerups, WoW subscriptions, etc.), and 3) a shift away from the dominant retail model that was established since the 1990s (thost giant Big Box stores selling office supplies and electronics and books and bedding and so on). It's also very much about the hollowing-out of the middle class and the way people are living paycheck-to-paycheck and putting increasingly amounts of their earnings into debt service. It's about the disappearance of easy credit. People increasingly have no money left over after paying for essentials (rent, food, gas, health insurance, etc.) and what little is left is spent paying down debt or trying to save for retirement (or a down payment, which is going to be most peoples' retirement, such as it is), so who can afford to browse stores and buy things?

It's just so striking to see it in action in one of the few places in the country that has a booming economy, and I can't imagine what it must look like in less economically vibrant places around the country. If I'm noticing empty storefronts and boarded-up mimi-malls just a couple miles from Facebook/Google/Apple, what must things be like in Youngstown, OH or Scranton, PA?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That's weird because it's Paly that pretty much abuts the Caltrain tracks. They're a pretty far trek from Gunn.

Caltrain deaths are about 75% suicides and 25% dumb people trying to take a shortcut and welp. The latter has gone down since they really began expanding their efforts to put tall fences along the tracks.

I remember reading an article about commuter train drivers/engineers, it said that it's a matter of when, not if, you'll see someone kill themselves in front of you. Goes with the job. :(

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm sure the ridiculous pressure to succeed is the same at Paly, I just found it odd the school right next to the train tracks is the one that doesn't have a train suicide problem. I suspect the real explanation is that these things happen in clusters (as the unthinkable suddenly becomes thinkable once someone near you does it) and it's just ill luck that Gunn is dealing with it right now instead of Paly.

And yeah, you really have to be careful at level crossings to not get stuck on the tracks.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That's the problem all over the Bay Area - new apartment construction has been at the high/luxury end (fewer studios and 1BRs, more condos and townhouses). The SF skyline is full of construction cranes building giant apartment towers...that they'll sell you for seven figures. Things like the Blu tower right near the Bay Bridge onramp - 21 floor tall skyscraper, with six condos on each floor. Not exactly easing the demand for housing in the area.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
What they will do is charge you a small fortune to get your car back. You pay the tower for towing your car. Then you pay the lot for storing your car (better hurry, the charge accumulates every day). Then you pay to process them releasing your call. Plus you have to deal with all the fines and warrants and appearances for whatever you did that led to your car being impounded. Oh and if you can't get the money together in time, it'll be sold at auction after 30/60/90 days or whatever.

Don't get your car impounded.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sydin posted:

Agreed. I don't mind Boxer much either, but at the same time we're quite liberal with our federal level politics here in California. If Boxer steps down, there's a rare opportunity for a strong left candidate to move into a secure senate seat. All the better if it isn't yet another member of the rank-and-file Dem core, but I guess we'll see.
Boxer is reliably liberal-to-left, but not much of a leader or noisemaker on liberal issues. DiFi is a conservative Democrat from the big business/military-industrial-surveillance state wing of the party, and I will dance an Irish Jig (as is the custom of my people) when she finally steps down.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

computer parts posted:

So most people have probably heard, but the Raiders and Chargers are considering doing a dual stadium in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pUrUcH0ic
When a home team scores a touchdown, they can flare the refinery towers in celebration!

If you enjoy laughing at dumb people (and who doesn't?), be sure and read the comments sections of the San Diego Union Tribune articles about the Chargers' likely move to LA. Lots of normally anti-tax San Diegans furious that the city won't show the "leadership" to pump a billion dollars of city money into a boondoggle giveaway, people declaring that losing an NFL team will permanently cement S.D.'s status as a second-rate city (unlike dynamic cities of the future like Detroit, Baltimore, and Cleveland), and ruing all the economic growth that not having a single-use facility that's used eight days a year the city will be foregoing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pohl posted:

I just moved to San Diego and when I moved, I knew that it was a fairly Conservative town. But really, no one wants to pay for anything. poo poo gets built because everyone in the community pays for it. Somehow, everyone around me is against any public spending. I moved here from Boise and I'm loving shocked at how conservative about government everyone is. Sure, people are open minded, but gently caress the government seems to be the rallying cry.
How do these people think a city is built?

Football stadiums are another matter, gently caress them. The god drat NFL/owners can pay for that poo poo. I guess it really does go to show how ignorant people are.
In Octpber 2003, San Diego was hit with a catastrophic series of firestorms. Thousands of houses destroyed and more than a dozen people were killed. One of the contributing factors was the antiquated equipment that the understaffed county fire response was using. Like, 1950s Civil Defense hand-me-downs for the communication system. The county had no air tankers or helicopters, figuring they could always borrow them from the state or National Guard (they could, unless there were a whole lot of fires across the west, when all the planes were busy fighting fires for their primary owners). Just a total catastrophe, and an undeniable example of how San Diego's penny-wise pound-foolish anti-tax mania can lead to horrible long term consequences. But! By coincidence, there was a measure on the ballot the next month to upgrade the county's equipment and give them enough money to hire a couple of planes full-time and maybe hire some additional personnel. Surely, with charred bodies still being buried and smoke still hanging in the air, even San Diegans would see fit to maybe take a couple of nickels out of their pockets and put them towards protecting themselves from the inevitable next season of firestorms?

Nope. The measure failed. Four years later, the fires returned, and did another shitload of damage.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the unwillingness of San Diegans to pay taxes for anything, no matter how vital.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nm posted:

Good news, the UC has cut back on tenured positions, so they've done that already.
Well problem solved then!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ron Jeremy posted:

poo poo, drink enough to have a decent stream and you don't even need to jump the fence.
Behold, the greatest living American:

He visited the Nixon library and gravesite, too:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pervis posted:

Now you're just trolling. Golfing and toilets have nothing to do with non-corn farming, or ag water use, as it's so vanishingly small demand and doesn't effect the supply in a major way, as we've covered in the thread already (90% of all water use is ag)
The last numbers I saw were 10% consumer use, 10% commercial use, and 80% agricultural use - and 10 of those 80 percentage points went just to almonds. That's right, every toilet and kitchen sink and lawn sprinkler and shower and washing machine and swimming pool and dishwasher in the entire state collectively uses less water than the almond crop (which is almost entirely exported to asia). Agriculture makes up 2% of the state's GDP yet gobbles up 80% of the state's fresh water - much of which is wasted (why invest in water-conserving technology when the state is selling it to you as massively below-market rates).

This is why feverish declarations that California is on the brink of a Mad Max societal collapse when the water runs out are ridiculous. We could easily support double or triple the population we have now with some simple tweaks to the subsidization of water for ag use. Just means less rice and almonds and alfalfa.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember reading the news comments section about the NUMMI factory's closing back in 2010 and got this gem:
Eurrrghgh.

On the bright side, the Tesla plant now employs as many people as the NUMMI plant did before the crash, and it's growing as quickly as it can.

Elon Musk :unsmith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ProperGanderPusher posted:

One thing I keep running into, usually with people who are over sixty, is a certain romanticization of rural life and the idea that it is unfair it is to deprive farmers of their water. In their minds, the almond and rice farmers are still "honest country folks" in overalls and straw hats who "put food on our tables" and they need every drop they ask for. I can't tell them anything to the contrary because they immediate dismiss it as urban elitist liberal claptrap.

I can't help but wonder if this is a widespread impression among certain people whose only exposure to farming was visiting their grandpappy's farm in the 40s or talking with the hobbyists selling produce from their summer home gardens at farmer's markets.
It's a foundation-stone of our entire national culture.

wikipedia posted:

Jeffersonian democracy (sometimes capitalized), named after its advocate Thomas Jefferson, was one of two dominant political outlooks and movements in the United States from the 1790s to the 1820s. The term was commonly used to refer to the Republican Party which Jefferson founded in opposition to the Federalist Party of Alexander Hamilton. The Jeffersonians believed in a republic, as form of government, and equality of political opportunity, with a priority for the "yeoman farmer", "planters" and the "plain folk". They were antagonistic to the aristocratic elitism of merchants, bankers and manufacturers, distrusted factory workers, and were on the watch for supporters of the dreaded British system of government. Above all, the Jeffersonians were devoted to the principles of Republicanism, especially civic duty and opposition to privilege, aristocracy and corruption. Jeffersonian democracy persisted as an element of the Democratic Party into the early 20th century, as exemplified by William Jennings Bryan (1860-1925).[1]
Jeffersonian Idealism is about how the ideal organization of society is as a yeomanry of landholding gentlemen-farmers, living close to the land and in touch with God, as opposed to all that rot about cities and factories and banks and industry. It's dying very, very hard, but it is dying. You can also see echoes of it in the cultural fondness for the simple, honest virtues of small-town life.

This impulse was also big in fascist and quasi-fascist 20th century movements as well - they blamed everything on corrupt culture, foreign ideas, cities as melting pots full of dangerous new ideas and decadent behavior, etc. etc.

tl;dr - cities are full of Jews and we know what's up with that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bizarro Watt posted:

Also Texans absolutely cannot get over the fact that they were a country once (for ten years and it was a disaster, but ignore that part).
California was, briefly, its own sovereign country too (check our state flag for details).

Hawaii was an independent kingdom for hundreds of years.

But no, those don't count and Texas is superawesome and unique and deserves all sorts of respect and deference because yee haw it was once the (proudly slaveholding) Republic of Texas.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I would also put Redwood City in solid "good" territory nowadays...All that's missing is a good bookstore, although their downtown public library isn't bad.
There's the Barnes & Noble at Sequoia Station - which is kind of crappy, even by the low standards of B&Ns.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trabisnikof posted:

She is likely to primary into an increase in her speaking fees and maybe a book deal.
She's actually running for the VP slot, hoping to the be obvious pick to provide some gender balance to a GOP ticket that's going head to head against The First Major-Party Woman Presidential Candidate

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Keyser S0ze posted:

oldest of old money surrounded by farms and military
Yeah, this.

Reagan's ranch was located just outside of Santa Barbara, after all.

I wouldn't worry about the seat flipping in 2016, assuming Team D can field a quality candidate. Dems have a very strong advantage in Presidential election years. Holding it in 2018, on the other hand...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trabisnikof posted:

I was unaware the contribution to the GNP was the measure of how best to use water. If so, we should stop wasting water on natural flows because those add 0% to the Californian GNP.
Free-flowing water is an important part of many tourist and recreation attractions - a sector which is a bigger part of the state's GNP than agriculture.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

etalian posted:

Also due to great political leadership/ostrich in the sand response there wasn't any sort of full scale response over the last decade to prepare for the current crisis.
Shrugging and assuming that things will work out for the best has been a pretty succesful S.O.P. for the last 150 years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SlimGoodbody posted:

that was the first time I've seen a man get his butthole fingered while gyrating in a puddle of pissmud.
Sounds like you need to get out of the house more.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jeeves posted:

the modern day dystopia that is Fontana
More like Fontucky, am i rite?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Employers are fleeing the sate for low-tax, low-regulation, pro-business havens like Kansas and Louisiana and Wisconsin!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bizarro Watt posted:

This is why a strong El Nino might not be as great as some are making it out to be (that and landslides and flooding). El Nino means it's warmer, so a lot of the precipitation the Sierras will get might fall as rain instead of snow. It will still help with reservoirs, though. And of course, we'd need more rain than one big El Nino can afford us to get rid of the drought, but at this point, just a return to normal yearly precipitation would be a godsend.
Yeah, an El Nino wouldn't do much for the snowpack. It would water crops and lawns, fill the reservoirs, recharge the Sacremento River, and start refilling the aquifers. Much better than the last four years of nothing, but we need several years of 'normal' rain before the all the drought effects are reversed.

I also read that because of last moth's giant storms in the Rockies (remember when Denver almost floated away?), the Colorado River is running way above normal, which means all the allocated water and more for areas that get supplied by the Colorado (mostly SoCal). So that's nice.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
El Nino giveth, and En Nino taketh away: Hawaii is suffering under a severe drought, and the projected El Nino shift looks to make things worse for them

http://thevane.gawker.com/hawaii-is-slipping-back-into-drought-and-el-nino-could-1719369216

The sooner cheap solar-powered de-sal gets here, the better off we'll all be.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Does anyone else find this $15/hr stuff kind of insidious? Measures to make every aspect of middle class life (education, health care, housing, retirement, etc.) more affordable are ignored, but hey, poverty can be comfortable now!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Reminds me of when Enron was loving with us and the call went out for Californians to cut electricity use to avoid rolling blackouts. And we were able to cut power consumption by 15-20% in the affected areas, pretty much trivially (people ran their dishwashers later at night and set their A/C at a higher temperature, businesses did things like turn off one-third of the light fixtures in their offices and stores). There's often lots of low-hanging fruit for conservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
l m a o

quote:

The Central Valley is sinking at a record pace as drought-gripped farms pump out the groundwater beneath them, new satellite data show.

In some places the ground is dropping nearly two inches a month, according to measurements taken by the state and NASA, dragging roads, bridges and other infrastructure with it.

Last year, land near the community of Corcoran between Fresno and Bakersfield dropped 13 inches in eight months, according to the data released Wednesday. The town of Arbuckle north of Sacramento saw five inches of sinking over six months, and points along the California Aqueduct, which carries water beside Interstate 5 in the San Joaquin Valley, fell eight inches in four months.

Irrigation canals have begun to buckle, wells have fractured and even streets are cracking. State and federal officials fear that railroad lines and home foundations may be next.

“As extensive groundwater pumping continues the land is sinking more rapidly, and this puts nearby infrastructure at greater risk of costly damage,” said Mark Cowin, director of the Department of Water Resources, which worked with NASA to collect information from satellites and report on groundwater levels.

The findings are prompting California officials to reexamine restrictions on groundwater pumping that were approved last year but aren’t expected to be implemented until at least 2020. With farms getting less water from rivers and creeks during the drought, unregulated well water is being tapped in increasing quantities.

“We don’t believe we can sustain this kind of pumping and the effects that are occurring,” Cowin said. “What this new NASA report underscores for us is the need for more near-term measures.”
Permanently destroying our aquifers is a small price to pay compared to the importance of growing almonds for export to China.