Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fruity Rudy posted:

I'm fascinated by the escalating microcosm of American inequality transforming San Francisco.

In just a few years it's gone from one of the most progressive cities in the United States, to this kind of oil and vinegar mix of liberal bohemia and creepy entitled racist libertarian brogrammers who cannot believe the uppity poors protesting the rising eviction and rent rates. If you've ever used the app Secret, you'll see quite a few revolting anonymous posts from wealthy transplants relishing with glee their efforts to "gentrify" the city and drive out the "lazy" underclass not blessed with their charms.

The city has already changed so much, and the most disturbing aspect of the change is that the massive tech wealth boom is leading towards a very dark Wall Street 2.0 culture emerging in the Bay Area. I would love to see it stopped before it's too late.

The Guardian has a nice piece on the subject: "Is San Francisco Losing Its Soul?"

This is so true, and so sad. Anyone who thinks the Bay Area is the last bastion of progressive values should read up on last year's BART strike. The union got its rear end kicked in the court of public opinion. Management would have broken the union outright had two workers not been killed during the strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rah! posted:

It's a completely ignorant tourist view of SF. Wasn't thought of as a business center until recently? Yeah, I guess the city's status as a primary business center of the west coast starting in the 1850s was all a dream (and it was the primary business center of the west until the mid 1920s, when LA passed it in population). Wells Fargo, Bank of America, the Pacific stock exchange, Hearst Corporation, Chevron, Visa, Bechtel, etc, etc, etc never were founded/headquartered in SF! poo poo, before tech started booming in SF, there was no business at all! Everyone was a hippie and/or beatnik, and no one worked. And a "small" city of 825,000? Nevermind that the SF Bay Area has over 8 million people, making it the 5th largest metropolitan area in the US.

Eh, there's a difference between SF proper and the surrounding Bay Area. And I don't know, my understanding of the area is that SF was kinda-sorta analogous to Manhattan's East Side, in that it really didn't start to heavily gentrify until recently. Unlike the dot com spike, SF's latest wave of change started during the housing crisis and continues to this day. That's how I read it, anyway.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

This Secretary Of State race is retarded, and I hate both my options. Why the gently caress would 10% of the state vote for Leland Yee?

10% of the 20% of registered voters that voted. But still, goddamn morons.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hog Obituary posted:

Without actually being involved in the industry, I can't tell how much is "par for the course and Sacbee just as an axe to grind" or if these are "disastrous revelations and the bridge is going to fall down tomorrow"

Forum had a really good segment on the Bay Bridge problems earlier. The discussion between the Sacbee columnist and the representative from the oversight board was very well balanced, and the callers weren't raving lunatics for a change. It's one of the few forum segments where I didn't instantly take sides. Both sides made very good arguments.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Uber and use it regularly, but I feel conflicted about it. For one, I avoid Uber X/Lyft/Sidecar/etc. because I have a hard time believing that anyone would really contract out their own vehicles and time if they had any other viable economic alternatives. So I only use Uber taxis or black cars. Maybe that's an uninformed way of looking at it, but I feel like doing otherwise contributes to the creation of some underclass of service workers who are somehow even worse off than cabbies were before.

Second, I hate how all of this "sharing economy" bullshit is essentially upper-middle class white services for upper-middle class white people. In almost all cases, a smartphone and a Facebook account are required to gain access. In Uber's case in particular, riders are rated on a five-star scale. I can't help but feel that the price of all this convenience is the resurgence of social problems that regulation was originally meant to address: Racism, avoiding undesirable areas and poor people, using profitable routes to socialize less profitable routes, etc.

Which leads me to the Google busses. Those things are roving fortresses. To see one of them at a stop next to a Muni bus is depressing. It's a striking visual of disparity. It's sad that the there's essentially a bus (often literally painted white) for white people and a bus for poor people. I don't blame Google or Apple or EA per se, but the busses are symptomatic of much deeper issues. They're illustrative of a nearer-than-we-think future dystopia. Uber and Google busses are just the most visible examples -- there are much more obscene startups popping up every day. This kind of "gently caress you I'm rich / poor people get out" attitude is everywhere in SF right now.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bip Roberts posted:

What do you mean by this? Google buses are normal coach buses. Also MUNI buses are decent buses.

This is a Google bus:

This is a Muni bus:

Now granted, Muni is currently replacing their fleet, but the difference in cleanliness and amenities is striking.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

on the left posted:

Tech companies aren't young white men only. Google specifically has only 60% white workers, compared to 80% white in the broader workforce.

It seems really far-fetched to complain about companies providing high-income jobs and then turn it into some kind of race war because they treat their employees well. Such crab mentality.

Yeah well it's 90% white+Asian, which in America is basically shorthand for "white." Also, the overall ethnic breakdown of Google proper is not necessarily the same as the Google bus ridership, or other private busses. Plus, gender and age contribute the stereotype too.

Finally, I don't think there's been a lot of "crab mentality" in this thread. For the most part, people are pointing out what an enormous symbol of inequity these busses represent. I mean, public transit in general is considered the purview of the poor, and now you've got these giant representations of wealth pulling up to the bus stop. If nothing else, it's bad optics.

Even so, I wish there was a way the rising tide could lift all boats. Like, for every bus stop these companies use, they have to buy a new car for BART or something. $1 per stop per day is ridiculous (though I understand SFMTA may be limited in the fees they can impose).

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's what gets me. If the :airquote:liberal utopia:airquote: that is the San Francisco Bay Area can't even advocate for something as basic as public transit, then what hope is there for the rest of this country?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

MUNI buses have to be designed to be beaten the hell up. The seats have to be ready to be pissed on, not because they should be pissed on but because it's inevitable they will be. On a Google bus, pissing your pants into the seat can be rectified through disciplinary measures not available on a public bus.

As far as Uber, gently caress the taxi cartel. I feel this way because I moved from California to Las Vegas, where the taxis are incredibly corrupt; to the degree that even other corrupt industries like strip clubs hate them. They take long routes to drive up fares, have much higher-profile access at the airport than mass transit, clog up the road infrastructure when some political battle isn't going their way, and display varying levels of aggressiveness in to hustling. Naturally, Uber can not actually exist there, as the state government (which exists to serve the monopolistic interests that are willing to do business here, like not taxing the mining companies while they extract the state's finite resources for profit) wrote a protectionist law giving them entitlement to any for-hire driver in the state.

I agree with both of these things, but what you're essentially saying is that it's OK for rich, mostly white tech workers to ride around in nice busses and taxis with great service, while the service workers, public servants, and Mexicans ride in lovely busses and corrupt taxis along with the homeless and mentally unstable. The solution to lovely public transit shouldn't be, in my opinion, giant rolling gated communities.

quote:

If the buses didn't exist, all these people would be carpooling anyway.

I highly doubt that. More likely some would drive, some would live in other neighborhoods, some would move closer to work, some would bitch about the failings of the regional public transit system, etc.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh come on, companies like 3M, IBM, and Dow are able to do programs like this, but yet Silicon Valley tech companies (who often have founders that own large chunks of their stock still) have more aggressive stockholders? I don't buy that excuse one bit. This is a rather common practice including here in the Bay Area. (Also we have this thing called contracts that allows us to get over the "bad quarter, cut the program" problem)

Actually, I just learned that Genetech does allow other local employees to use their buses but doesn't advertise the fact. That's smart and I imagine might be part of the reason we don't hear as many complaints about their 56 bus routes.

Also Facebook bought their own police officer.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

It's pretty sad how the original BART plan was more ambitious but got shot down since Marin, Santa Clara and San Mateo county didn't want to raise the bond money to make the service ring around the bay.

That is infuriating. I suppose it's too late for summary executions for NIMBYs.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Okay, so it's people selling off their spots when they leave. Obviously that is illegal. Interesting question: would it be illegal to remove the bidding part, but to make it social? I.e. to alert friends, goons, etc. that you will have a spot free?

That came up numerous times in the Forum segment referenced earlier. The CEO just blathered on about how people need the profit motive to use the app.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Meanwhile in SF, there's another terrible, anti-social startup "disrupting" the restaurant reservation space.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/restaurant-reservation-scalping-site-is-everything-wron-1599984423

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Argh, I clicked that, then over to his "about" page, where he describes himself as "a libertarian and secular humanist..." The linked article is long and about what you expect. I wouldn't normally beat up on some random Internet libertarian, but these assholes are absolutely everywhere in San Francisco right now, they're well-connected, and they're securing funding to found the worst startups around. I hate these people.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh don't worry, the forces of capitalism are still advancing, as evidenced by this 98 year old woman being evicted from her home of 50 years.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bay Area is 7 million people. "Thousands" of jobs doesn't a middle class make. But regardless, the problems with housing go beyond the monied tech elite. It's a whole host of compounding problems caused by people selling false dichotomies, just like you.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

on the left posted:

How could anyone disagree that inexpensive cars have transformed life as we know it?

Not entirely for the better though, as that includes all the socioeconomic problems associated with sprawl and climate change, not to mention traffic and the death of public transit, which brings us back to tech busses and that inequity that they represent.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

on the left posted:

The advantages heavily outweigh the disadvantages. Who wants to live in a world where the vast majority of people never venture more than 50 miles from home?

on the left posted:

Do you feel the slightest hint of irony posting that surrounded by products (especially food) that could only exist and be delivered to you with the extensive logistical network that automobiles (trucks) enable?

I don't see why we couldn't have a similar level of mobility and productivity without the automobile. Perhaps we'd have denser population centers and a better, national public transportation system. Regardless, I don't deny that the automobile is in many ways responsible for modern life. I'm just trying to point out that they have created equally large problems. And - to try to tie this back to California politics - refusing to acknowledge the problems with our car-oriented culture is the same kind of techno-utopian thinking that is everywhere in Silicon Valley.

To further tie this back to what is happening in San Francisco in particular, it is useful to think about the history of Valley innovation. Roughly speaking, there was the dot com boom, the Web 2.0 boom, social networking, and the app revolution. Right now, the sharing economy is the hot space to be in. These companies -- AirBnb, Uber, Task Rabbit, etc. -- provide tremendous conveniences in the short term, but, like the automobile, have the potential to create long term problems in the future. For instance, AirBnb undermines traditional tenancy regulations, Uber is creating a permanent class of at-will contractors (someday to be replace by robots), and, as we're starting to see, companies like MonkeyParking and ReservationHop are inserting middlemen between what were previously public (e.g. parking) or free (e.g. reservations) goods and services.

So, to extend your example, the automobile gave us tremendous personal freedom and conveniences, but it is quite literally destroying the environment. Previous tech darlings like Google and Facebook gave us free access to the combined knowledge and social history of human experience, at the expense of privacy and NSA spying. Perhaps it behooves us to look at the implications of the next wave of Silicon Valley innovations before they become entrenched and the problems they cause are shrugged off as intractable side effects of modern civilization.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Family Values posted:

Draper is a grade A poo poo head, no argument there. But can we please stop painting everyone who lives/works in SV as a lolbertarian VC investor? That's no more true than everyone in Houston is an oil baron, or everyone in Detroit is an auto exec. Yes most of the billionaires and CEOs here suck, just as they do everywhere else.

Most of SV, including most of the rank and file at the tech companies, are what D&D derisively refer to as 'center left'. Even the engineers. Check opensecrets.org and look up donations by employer. Actual data instead of lovely stereotyping; imagine that.

Ask those poor, beleaguered rank and file about their economic views. There's plenty of "mah taxes are too damned high goddamn government bureaucracy" sentiment at the individual contributor level too. Their revulsion at GOP hate-mongering may outweigh their lolbertarian economics at the ballot box, sure, but that doesn't preclude their regressive economic views from contributing to the poisonous atmosphere developing in Silicon Valley the Bay Area.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Family Values posted:

Right, SV hates taxes. That's why Santa Clara voted against Prop 30, which increased taxes on high income earners. Oh wait, Santa Clara county actually passed it by a solid margin. Yeah but I bet those evil fucks in San Mateo rejected it, after all that's where the real richies form SV live. Nope, they passed it by double digit margins too. But mah taxes!

You're not a very good poster. Tech assholes (particularly the mid-20s white male variety) in the Bay Area are a problem that we are discussing, yes. But they do not constitute a majority of people living in the area (which addresses your straw man). With that said, their outsized wealth exerts a distorted amount of influence on the area, manifested in a variety of ways, such as housing and private shuttles.

In broader news, the state is now moving to mandatory water conservation.

HuffPo posted:

California Water Fines Loom Over Wasteful Residents Amid Historic Drought

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California water regulators voted Tuesday to approve fines up to $500 a day for residents who waste water on lawns, landscaping and car washing, as a report showed that consumption throughout the state has actually risen amid the worst drought in nearly four decades.

The action by the State Water Resources Control Board came after its own survey showed that conservation measures to date have failed to achieve the 20 percent reduction in water use sought by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Survey results released before the 4-0 vote showed water consumption throughout California had actually jumped by 1 percent this past May compared with the same month in previous years.

The fines will apply only to wasteful outdoor watering, including watering landscaping to the point that runoff flows onto sidewalks, washing a vehicle without a nozzle on the hose, or hosing down sidewalks and driveways.

"Our goal here is to light a fire under those who aren't yet taking the drought seriously," water board Chairwoman Felicia Marcus said in an interview after the vote.

She called the vote historic, not only because the steps are unprecedented in California but because the board is trying to spread the burden of the drought beyond farmers and agencies that are trying to protect wildlife.

She said city and suburban residents are not fully aware of the seriousness of the three-year drought — the worst in California since the mid-1970s.

"We're all in this together," Marcus said. "This is our attempt to say ... this is the least that urban Californians can do."

The board estimates the restrictions, which take effect in early August, could save enough water statewide to supply more than 3.5 million people for a year.

Cities and water districts were given wide latitude on how the fines will be implemented. The full $500-a-day fine, considered an infraction, could be reserved for repeat violators, for example. Others might receive warnings or smaller fines based on a sliding scale.

The rules include exemptions for public health and safety, such as allowing cities to power-wash alleyways to get rid of human waste left by homeless people, to scrub away graffiti, and to remove oil and grease from parking structure floors.

If fines fail to promote conservation, Marcus said the board would consider other steps such as requiring water districts to stop leaks in their pipes, which account for an estimated 10 percent of water use, stricter landscape restrictions and encouraging water agencies to boost rates for consumers who use more than their share of water.

Even with the leeway granted to local governments and water districts, some managers were unhappy with the board's action.

Mark Madison, general manager of the Elk Grove Water District south of Sacramento, said the steps will unnecessarily punish customers who already have reduced consumption. Residents in his district have cut water use by more than 18 percent since last year.

"What you're asking me to do right now is to thank them with a sledgehammer," he told the board.

The increased usage noted in the report is attributable to two regions of the state: Southern California coastal communities and the far northeastern slice of the state. It was not immediately clear why consumption had increased in those areas.

No region of California met Brown's request for a 20 percent reduction, but some came closer than others. Communities that draw from the Sacramento River reduced consumption the most, by 13 percent, while those along the North Coast reduced consumption by 12 percent.

San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California cities that draw from the Colorado River decreased water use by 5 percent.

Cities and suburbs use about 20 percent of the state's water, with about half going outdoors. Agriculture is by far the greatest water user, accounting for 75 percent of consumption in the state.

California farmers are just as guilty of using too much water as their urban neighbors, according to a separate report released Tuesday. The study by the University of California, Davis, found that some farmers could see their wells run dry next year unless the state sees a wet winter.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I mean sure, you can make some gains by getting households to conserve, but even if you halve overall residential use you've still got agriculture's huge portion of the water demand to handle. There doesn't really seem to be much addressing agricultural water waste or regulations requiring or even encouraging efficiencies like drip irrigation systems.

Forum has been covering the drought lately. I can't find exact supporting links (though I'm digging around on the KQED website), but the impression I've gotten is that, like all things California, it's complicated. My take is that agriculture actually has made strides toward efficiency lately (though to what extent and how much further is needed, I can't say) and is letting hundreds of thousands of acres lie fallow, which is causing all kinds of unemployment-related problems.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
And there are over 1,200 of them. :haw:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's an area code?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, but it is a sign of a new budget pressure. The cost of fighting fires is only going to go up as the climate changes and more and more sprawl rubs up against fire prone areas.

Yeah, according to the California Report, the average budget was $90 million a few years ago. Now the entire $209 million budget is gone three months into the fiscal year. Insane.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I voted no on 46 because of the drug testing.

I listened to an hour long Forum special on 48. It's a referendum, so the default is "yes" instead of no, for propositions. I don't give a poo poo, but it made it through the assembly, governors, and a shitload of lawsuits, so I'm not going to vote to stop it now.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

FMguru posted:

My usual rule-of-thumb is to vote "no" on propositions unless they're really, really good ideas.

But it seems like all the props this cycle are worth passing.

Am I reading this right? Did I wake up in in opposite-land this morning?

Only that 48 is a referendum, not a proposition. So that means the default should be "yes," because a no acts as a veto on something that's already passed. California is dumb.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

RedQueen posted:

My picks after a few hours of research on Monday night...
  • Prop 48: No. I have mixed feelings on this, but building casinos off reservation land closer to cities/freeways seems like a slippery slope.

This one's a referendum, so a no vote is a vote to overturn the legislative process. If that's your intention, then so be it. Personally, I find it hard to give a poo poo about this issue either way, so I chose to vote yes and trust the process.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the hell are 666s and 484s?

E: and 459s.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bay Area really needs a regional transit authority.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rah! posted:

I wasn't implying that every city has rent control, I know it's relatively rare. But I take issue with the fact that lists like that one constantly get published with the title "median rent", but without making it clear what's actually getting measured, and without taking something like rent control into account (which is a huge oversight in a city like SF, where half the population does not pay market rate prices). And then people get the wrong idea after seeing said lists, and say dumb things like "wow, poor people can't afford to live in San Francisco!" :downs:

The thing about poor people is that they don't remain frozen in time. They fall in love, have children, break up, grow up, and lose their jobs just like everyone else. With the San Francisco rental market, the only choices they have after major life events are to 1) deal with it or 2) move out of San Francisco. It's not really social mobility if their current, rent controlled place is their only option.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

drilldo squirt posted:

I live in LA and having to use paper bags to carry poo poo is super lovely especially when your car is far away from your place.

drilldo squirt posted:

Plastic doesn't rip if I hold it wrong.

drilldo squirt posted:

What if I dont wana buy a loving bag when they used to be free.

drilldo squirt posted:

I gotta pay 10 cents for the paper ones also.

This is basically why humanity is doomed right here.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What was the verdict on eggs? I see organic, free range, and cage free. Brown and white. Regular and jumbo. So many goddamn choices.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article6076293.html

Gavin Newsom isn't running for Boxer's seat. So it's basically Kamala Harris then, right?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

In other news, San Francisco landlord finds and exploits legal loophole to raise tenant's rent from $2,145 to $8,900:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153190864139878

Here's her explanation:

Here's the letter she got:

The landlord may not have gotten the necessary permits to remove the first apartment:

quote:

Update: Jeremy Pollock, a legislative aide for supervisor John Avalos, sent The Bold Italic the following email: “It seems pretty clear to me that if the landlord did remove the downstairs apartment, they didn’t get a permit for it, which makes it an illegal merger. There’s no record of any merger permits in Planning’s system. We’ve asked Planning Department staff to look into this.”

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The United States does not torture. :haw:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, I'm personally glad that there's at least one state that is slightly on the other side of the prevailing wisdom that the will of the free market trumps all. I like to think it elevates the level of debate, and at least provides lip service for consideration of long term concerns.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

pathetic little tramp posted:

some independent research

Is this really a thing that happens?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I listened to a Forum segment the other day on the Redwood City Saltworks project. Supposedly it is a 25,000 unit housing project on an old industrial site on the bay that has been completely stalled by activists. Not knowing a thing about the project, the developer advocates did not avail themselves well. I came away agreeing with the anti-development side. Is anyone here more informed about the project?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't doubt they exist, but I've lived all over the country and never heard of something like that. gently caress if I'd sign a "lease" like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shbobdb posted:

It happens all the time. Especially in states with poor tenant's rights. In my experience, the poorer you are the more likely you are to encounter that clause. It's basically a way of loving over the poor.

I know I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but it still shocks me just how much this country shits on poor people.