Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Oh hey, I wonder if that BART extension to San Jose, Los Angeles transit expansion, or HSR were depending on federal funds for completion, because that would make another little cherry on the poo poo sundae that was Tuesday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VikingofRock posted:

I think this chant is more about Trump not being "their president" as in he is not the president that they personally elected, nor is he a president who reflects their values. Obviously he soon will actually be the president of the USA.

It also very probably stems from the fact that, like Dubya, he was not elected by a plurality in the popular vote.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BattleHamster posted:

Even if you think that everything he says is a lie, It seems like he'll have so much other poo poo on his plate that going against his platform of deregulation and states rights to stop marijuana use would be very low on his list of priorities.

Told you legalized marijuana was a dead letter.

quote:

We need grown ups in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized, it ought not to be minimized, that it is in fact a very real danger,” he said. “You’ll see cocaine and heroin increase more than it would have, I think, had we not talked about it.”

Sessions, a former U.S. attorney, also criticized President Obama for his administration’s approach to the issue. “His lax treatment and comments on marijuana, it’s been obvious, it reverses 20 years almost of hostility to drugs, begun really, when Nancy Reagan started the ‘Just Say No’ program,” the senator said.

While Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986, a former deputy accused him of saying that the Ku Klux Klan “were OK until I found out they smoked pot.”

Somehow Trump found the only person in the world who proved himself to be both a raging racist and militant pot opponent in a single sentence and is putting him in charge of enforcing the Civil Rights Act and federal drug laws.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BattleHamster posted:

Trump appears to run a very tight ship with those he employs

Did you not live through the same election the rest of us did, or something?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Instant Sunrise posted:

I just looked up my State Senate race to see if it's been called yet, and right now the Democratic candidate is trailing by 187 votes. If he wins, the democrats will have a supermajority in the both the Assembly and the Senate.

Holy poo poo.

That's pretty tight. Here's hoping. Last thing California needs right now is Republicans gumming up the works on the state level too.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Damnit 2016, why you gotta be such an rear end in a top hat of a year?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bawfuls posted:

CA could and should go for state wide single payer if the ACA is gutted.

I highly doubt it will play out if California does.

With Republicans in control of Congress, I could easily see Republicans trying to "protect" citizens by:

• Requiring the inevitable block grants for Medicaid be spent on programs exclusively dedicated for individuals below the poverty line (so as to deny the Californian single-payer system Medicaid funding and divide the negotiating power across at least two different plans)
  • Mandating that all plans accept patients from all states, so that "cheaper" Californian single-payer has to be able to cover Mississippians and so on who try to join without even leaving Mississippi.
  • Conversely, (and this is, in fact, very likely) allowing insurance to be purchased across state lines with no exceptions, especially if it included a provision that would prohibit states from imposing any restrictions on what insurance is purchased, including requiring any insurance to be held at all (so as to kill Romneycare, and so Californians could go to a "cheaper" South Dakotan plan and have a defense under federal law against California penalizing them for not going with single-payer)
  • Imposing restrictions on hospitals that accept Medicare payments that they must accept at least one insurance plan from a federally approved list of insurers (which will conveniently exclude any single-payer plan, so as to "guarantee a space for the free market", and also offer private insurers a space to squeeze hospitals for more money)
  • On the other end, require that any eventual "Medicare" voucher be spent with an approved insurer (again, California would be conveniently excluded)
  • Require expensive auditing of any single-payer plan that receives federal funds to ensure that it offers a platinum-equivalent plan before it may receive federal funding. Naturally, the law will be written in such a way that insurers can game the system by offering a ridiculously expensive, really good plan that no one can buy, yet the existence of said plan requires California provide an equivalent.

And that's before you even get to more vindictive uses of the purse.

The biggie though is that Republicans will absolutely try to use that "across state lines" rule to kill single-payer before it even is born. I would be surprised if there wasn't a poison pill of some form in that bill, once it appears.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 7, 2017

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
If Trump can become president, surely Peter Thiel can become governor. (Yeah right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

themrguy posted:

Evidently we aren't America anymore.

"I'm taking my ball and going home to Texas."

I've never seen someone take losing an election so poorly.

:laffo: Of course he's moving to white-bread McKinney.