Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wow I'm going through the candidate statements in the voter info guide and... we sure have an above average amount of complete loonies running this time, huh? Also lmao at me reading Don J. Grundmann's schizopost entry to my wife and her response being "This guy sounds like evil Dr. Bronner."

It actually seems a bit less crazies than usual? The real fun elections are recalls

Dr. Don J Bronner definitely has the brain worms though. His campaign website has a long winded rant about how some shadowy elites are using The Matrix (yes, from the movie) to scam people via the Fed, the IRS, and for some reason, the assassination of RFK. This is one of his saner takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I'm glad to see the guy who wrote the crazy unhinged rant in his candidate statement for senator is in dead last place. He's currently on track to win like 10,000 votes though, which you really have to wonder who these voters are.

Seems too early to call the Senate race (14% reporting right now), but so far it looks like Schiff and Garvey will go to the general, with Porter and Lee both trailing pretty far back. No big surprise there.

edit: actually AP has newer numbers than the SOS page, and is calling Schiff one of the two winners

drk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 6, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I mean, 6 million Californians voted for Trump in 2020. California may have a solid Democratic majority, but there are still a poo poo load of Republicans.

So, no real surprise that a Republican clinched second place, especially when there were three prominent Democrats splitting the Democrat vote

drk
Jan 16, 2005

spoken like someone who has never been farther north than SLO

drk
Jan 16, 2005
norcal/socal jokes aside, that central california region between monterey and santa barbara is one of my favorite parts of the state

they also have our currently only nuclear reactor which is cool and good

drk
Jan 16, 2005

America Inc. posted:

I also suspect the Schiff win is just an issue with poor turnout of as low as 20%. The people that would vote for Lee or Porter didn't show up. There's also no Bernie to excite people to vote.

They are still counting ballots. The official count has gone from 21% when that NPR article was published yesterday up to 26% today. The state's current estimate is that about 1/3 of ballots are still uncounted. The final count certainly looks likely to be in line with historical averages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Those are called “bus traps” i think - Stockholm has a fair bit of them around, where it’s a narrowing of the road and then a bit of k-rail that sticks up in the middle of the lane. The bus can go over it no problem, but cars will get their oil pan taken out.

I looked this up and someone made a short film about them, here's pics for the curious

apparently it mostly traps tourists and old people