Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

Berkeley TAs are affiliated with UAW and go on strike seemingly every five minutes. I'm not really connected to the campus at all so I don't know, nor care, what their grievances are, but from what I've seen their pickets are kind of sad. Their chants are terrible, (if I recall correctly, I've seen "We have the power! What kinda power? (crowd chants) UNION POWER!" and "Lets show Governor Jerry/This is union territory!) and so nonthreatening cops don't even bother to show up and monitor the strikes. I'm pro-organized labor and all, but I found these displays somewhat embarrassing. California politics!

You also have a reasonable health plan because the TAs unionized, FYI. Sorry you have to hear about chants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

A house before thirty? Not anyone who gets a Ph.D.

I don't know anyone under thirty who bought in California in general.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

UberJew posted:

More accurate.

I know plenty of people who've bought in their 30's. The big difference are which people bought a small place near their work and which people bought something in the burbs and now spend two hours a day in a car.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Telesphorus posted:

The high ratio of conservatives among STEM majors was the first thing that surprised me about the UC system. Probably because they were more likely to come from high income families and less likely to take any social justice classes in college.

It's also pretty much not true unless you're looking for everyone to be a D&D approved leftist.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For a good example of NIMBY and "environmentalist" forces working together here in Berkeley they're working to revise the rules to make it harder to build tall buildings downtown.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2014/05/05/initiative-aims-to-tighten-green-parts-of-downtown-plan/

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xaris posted:

Ehh. The sad thing is, I don't disagree with about 80% of that. More public restrooms, more local and apprentice workers, more affordable housing, and getting rid of the absurd notion that dumping money into a "fund" is somehow equivalent to actually building affordable units are all noble endeavors. These are all relatively minor things that would help out and not really hinder development. There's just about 20% nimby stuff. The parking requirements are dumb, LEED Gold->Platinum can be relatively minor improvements and it isn't insurmountable unlike some claim yet it still shouldn't be an requirement but rather an incentive. I haven't read the language but "family-sized" requirement would probably be really bad.

The problem you see repeatedly in Berkeley politics is the wealthy homeowners are thrilled to use anti-everything useful idiots that this place is ripe with to oppose any measure that would actually increase density and lower housing costs.

The biggest problem I see is that people don't seem to realize that affordable housing is old housing stock. To get available old housing stock you need to build new housing stock which has been completely locked down for 40 years.

Xaris posted:

Ehh. The sad thing is, I don't disagree with about 80% of that. More public restrooms, more local and apprentice workers, more affordable housing, and getting rid of the absurd notion that dumping money into a "fund" is somehow equivalent to actually building affordable units are all noble endeavors.

The issue is that the point of this isn't to get buildings built with those things. It's to not get buildings built.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 6, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

We have a history of robotic governors, don't we? Grey Davis, the Terminator, Pete Wilson.

Ronald Ray Gun.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

If the slate article I read is to be believed, 10% of it went to growing almonds in the desert. 80% turns into the food our great nation consumes. And when it's all gone, let the bodies hit the floor.

As much as a whole lot of Cadillac Desert is no longer relevant it's amazing how little has changed with water management.

Edit: With regard to the map is the fact that the Mojave isn't listed as a super drought basically because it's as dry as usual there?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One of the big issues with water for agriculture is the price of delivering water has no bearing on any sort of market pricing of what water should cost and is more or less gifted to land based on archaic rules and grandfathering.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I always thought people made a lot more in Texas because employers realized they needed to pay people twice as much to get employes of reasonable quality to move to Texas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

redscare posted:

It's one of the few things we can all agree on.

Also, San Francisco has way more terrible people as a percent of the population and per square mile than LA does.

San Francisco has way more terrible people per person too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
And even the Legion of Honor has a horrible art collection. It only has a nice view going for it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

As someone considering moving from Long Beach, CA to Austin, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've visited the latter multiple times, and as far as I can tell, it has better beer, prettier women who are way less fake, friendlier and more down-to-earth people, and a way more interesting culture. Not to mention actual seasons.

gently caress SoCal, basically.

Cool finding a place to move with worse traffic than LA.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait doesn't that post makes it sound like the developer wasn't stopped by the meeting, but just had to listen to some idiots? That seems like a fair deal in exchange for a sweet payday.

I mean, if you look at the number of new units added in SF versus say the 50 square miles to the north or the 5 square miles to the south, SF has added a lot more units, and is at a considerably higher density. I don't think SF (or Oakland for that matter) is the real issue when it comes to a lack of housing in the Bay Area.

It's absolutely the issue because people are being pushed out in to Vallejo and Walnut Creek for 50 mile commutes they (and no one else) wants because the city cores are stagnant with regard to housing. If the suburbs in Marin or wherever aren't building housing that's great for everyone because it means fewer people are jamming everything up every day.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sincx posted:

It's not even culture, it's girls.

As in San Francisco has some single girls that these single nerdy horny male engineers think they might be able to hook up with and/or marry, where as there is literally 1 single girl for every 50 single guys in the Valley and these male engineers have no chance at all.

So that's why Google and Google employees don't give a poo poo about these "diverse" "artists" and they aren't going to give them money.

edit: I've read an article somewhere (Atlantic maybe?) that referenced a study showing about 30% of the increase in housing prices in China is due to guys competing for girls. Someone should be a similar study here in the Bay.

I mean it's all of the above. In short the Peninsula and South Bay are horrible and people with money are willing to spend it to not live there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Don't all the really good public school districts raise a ton of money through PTA fundraisers?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Which leads me to the Google busses. Those things are roving fortresses. To see one of them at a stop next to a Muni bus is depressing. It's a striking visual of disparity. It's sad that the there's essentially a bus (often literally painted white) for white people and a bus for poor people. I don't blame Google or Apple or EA per se, but the busses are symptomatic of much deeper issues. They're illustrative of a nearer-than-we-think future dystopia.

What do you mean by this? Google buses are normal coach buses. Also MUNI buses are decent buses.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

This is a Google bus:

This is a Muni bus:

Now granted, Muni is currently replacing their fleet, but the difference in cleanliness and amenities is striking.

Right. Muni buses are fine. Also muni buses run local routes are completely different than the google buses. I'm not sure what you're on about.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Having taking public buses around the bay area quite a bit I can say that i've never been delayed by a google bus before but I've been delayed by private cars almost every time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

How difficult would it be for the tech buses to get their own stops, independent from the MUNI ones? That way they wouldn't be blocking other buses during departure/arrival.

Probably extremely difficult in San Francisco where a single street side parking space would fetch probably multiple tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars if it could be meted out on the free market.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also lots of people disagree with public transportation, they just go about blocking it by doing everything except saying outright that the measures they create are to block public transportation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It's up to the municipality or water district.

I want to hear where Michael J. Beverage is on this issue.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It would be nice if they could normalize this by serving or mass or something.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Lol at Palm Springs. What the gently caress are they doing there.

Lotta golf.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FMguru posted:

That's the problem all over the Bay Area - new apartment construction has been at the high/luxury end (fewer studios and 1BRs, more condos and townhouses). The SF skyline is full of construction cranes building giant apartment towers...that they'll sell you for seven figures. Things like the Blu tower right near the Bay Bridge onramp - 21 floor tall skyscraper, with six condos on each floor. Not exactly easing the demand for housing in the area.

No one ever builds cheap housing. New housing is always expensive. The problem with the Bay Area is that NIMBYs have been blocking everything for so long that there is no intermediate housing stock. It's all either dilapidated or "luxury".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Enjoy your life in Houston.

Ironically Houston's problem is that you can't stop anyone from building anything and there are no geographical restrictions keeping the metro area from enveloping all of south Texas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Tenderloin is pretty frigging gross, fyi.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kenning posted:

That's like, 90% drug possession though.

Actually looking at a crime map it's a whole lot of assault. There seems to be a lot of property crime everywhere in SF but violent crime is really concentrated in the tenderloin to a large extent. Also the tenderloin seems to be the only place where there's a whole lot of muggings during the day in SF.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

salted hash browns posted:

California politics thread: bag chat

But it's not even a derail.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Hey now, they're expanding it so that the rich people in SM can go visit the rich people downtown.

To be fair there weren't rich people downtown until they built the metro.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Boot and Rally posted:

If the new stadium caters to the same type of people as the new 49ers stadium the train access will be useless. If people aren't driving two hours to go watch games in San Diego I can't imagine they'll do it on the hellscape that will be the 405 on game day.

Sundays are actually relatively okay across LA. It's not like trying to make a 7pm Dodger game on a Thursday.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Bay Area is also full of great big babies.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

Basically gently caress the Bay Area freeway design.

Also 880 is far and away #1 worse highway in California.

Edit: Yes, worse than 101 in Sherman Oaks, and 405 south of Sepulveda pass.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

#TearDownCalifornia

Like we need to do anything for that to happen. The ultimate in slacktivism. Do nothing, accomplish everything.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The best interchange is where the 10, 5, 101, 60, and 710 come together in East LA.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

If PV was that conservative, they'd ok an open hunting season on those loving peacocks. God I hate those things.

I always liked the peacocks in Pasadena. The parakeets are another matter altogether.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

Why would you block the 17 to protest tuition hikes at the UC's? Shouldn't they be chaining themselves to something in or around campus?

Say what you will about being couth but people did give a poo poo about this and no one would possibly care about some UCSC treesitter.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At UCLA the good news is you don't need a protest to block all traffic flow in Westwood. It once took me more than an hour to get from campus to 405.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FMguru posted:

Behold, the greatest living American:

He visited the Nixon library and gravesite, too:

This was not me (i wish) but I did a one day double tour of Reagan-Nixon libraries a few years ago and it was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

I definitely would not like to make the drive between the two on any single day.

Yeah, Pasadena -> TO -> Yorba Linda -> Pasadena is about 3 hours driving (without traffic) mostly on 5. I think we did it on a Sunday and the traffic wasn't horrible.