Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I like how people think the only way to reduce miles is to stop driving altogether. I bike to work but I drive to do errands that require hauling stuff because cars are very well suited for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

How do you not notice a leak big enough to bleed off $2700 of water in one month? That's many swimming pools' full of water, at least.

If a pipe bursts when you're out of town it can fill your house with an absolutely ungodly amount of water.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

To whom?

And I agree about alfalfa but really, are we going to individually legislate plant types? I think the broader question is, should we regulate farm use of water in ways that discourage its use for water-intensive cash crops grown primarily for export - which very definitely applies to almonds as well as alfalfa.

Rice is mostly grown in delta wetlands regions, and rice paddies actually can support native wetland wildlife. It's a more complex situation there.

You don't have to do any legislation besides selling water for an appropriate price. If people can make a profit with water extensive crops that should be because it's an especially valuable commodity or because water is cheap, not because they have a water quota to burn through.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

So high rents are what caused the jump in venture starting in mid 2013?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

San Diego isn't the worst suburb of LA you could end up in...

909 culture with 310 climate. What more could you want.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone thinks the state will be improved when San Bernardino is adjacent to Berkeley.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 29, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Not really, police brutality results in bridges being blocked. It's a pretty direct relationship and disrupting traffic has become a signature move for BLM.

I don't think you understand direct relationships.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Blocking traffic is effective, cool, and good.

Blocking traffic is cool and good and effective at stoping traffic. Dunno what it's effective at besides that.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lancemantis posted:

Didn't the removal of that freeway in SF after the collapse actually improve traffic in the area as well?

Are you talking about the viaduct at the embarcadero, which didn't totally collapse but was damaged and closed or the Oakland viaduct which did collapse?

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 13, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

jeeves posted:

What's funny is that UC Santa Cruz was actually considered the bottom tier UC before Merced.

Riverside?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I mean I get that it would be a great way to replace air travel I just can't see what it's so important to spend tens of billions of taxpayer dollars to do it.

Not like we spend billions of dollars of taxpayer money on other forms of transportation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

It's more to cut down on driving than air travel, I would think.

Well it should probably be competitive to both especially with tsa lines and getting to/fro airports.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

As someone who used to fly regularly and still flies more than most, I don't see how rail is competitive. Since it takes 2x as long, it kills the whole SD-SF and LA-SF one day trip which is the most common.

Which takes twice as long, air travel to HSR or Amtrak to airtravel?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rah! posted:

How does a HSR system to every big city (and a few smaller ones) in CA serve nobody's needs?

It's slightly slower than air travel if you only count air travel as the time between the plane leaves the ground and when it touches down.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Some people just really like to punch people and who are we to stop them?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's because banning "assault weapons" is fundamentally stupid, there's no hard definition of an assault weapon. It'd be like deciding for some reason we wanted to ban "sports cars." What's a sports car? Well, "I know one when I see one" is a reasonable working category but it doesn't work in the law. So you'd have to say, well, I guess it's a car with a large engine, and maybe only two seats. Oops, that includes pickup trucks! OK well, I guess it's also below a certain weight. OK, so, does an electric sports car count, it has no engine at all, it's got electric motors! OK so we'll define power output instead of engine capacity. OK, so now the manufacturers build sports cars with motors that produce exactly one point under the definition of engine capacity you defined, or, exactly one pound over the weight you defined, or, they add a jump seat behind the front seats to exceed the 2 seat limit, etc. etc.

It just doesn't loving work. We want to ban scary guns that are scary, but there's no hard line. And really it's stupid anyway, because if the goal is to stop people from going apeshit killing loads of people with guns, well, we're either going to have to completely ban guns, or we're going to have to enact restrictions that limit people to nothing but small-capacity pistols and shotguns and hunting rifles with no semiautomatic action. And even then people will figure out a way.

I'm a proponent of gun control, mind you. Waiting lists, background checks, maybe controls on some kinds of ammunition. But the gun genie is out of the bottle and you're not putting it back with pointless bans on particularly scary looking guns.

The law is pretty clear which aesthetic measures make up an "assault weapon" FYI.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

ask the ER how many toddlers they see who've stabbed somebody or themselves.

Keeping toddlers away from knives is like toddler 101.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FRINGE posted:

SA can never decide if they want white people to move in or they want white people to move out.

RaHoWa IMO.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm gonna magically not get priced the gently caress out of the bay area because it would be the anti-racist thing to do.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
White Flight is good IMO if it doesn't absolutely destroy the neighborhood.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This. This was the entire origin of the conversation, and why we were ragging on Family Values, because he was claiming this.

But that's a good thing and now they're doing meth and loving their cousins in Tracy where they belong.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

NAT-T Ice posted:

Wisconsin and Minnesota have it too.

Not really. We have all sorts of delicious horrors of fried cheese products but almost never on fries with gravy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bast Relief posted:

Sac mayor Kevin Johnson got pied in the face. Does anyone care? I do.

He didn't just get pied. He got pied then beat the pie-r half to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lancemantis posted:

Berkeley bowl, or berkeley bowl west?

After moving away from Berkeley I've gotten over not having the greatest supply of produce but I'll never get over just how nice it is to pick up some groceries and not want to punch a child in the face.