Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Kobayashi posted:

Eh, there's a difference between SF proper and the surrounding Bay Area. And I don't know, my understanding of the area is that SF was kinda-sorta analogous to Manhattan's East Side, in that it really didn't start to heavily gentrify until recently. Unlike the dot com spike, SF's latest wave of change started during the housing crisis and continues to this day. That's how I read it, anyway.

Not really, it's been steadily gentrifying for 20-30 years now, basically since the start of the tech industry. Every time a tech bubble bursts, there is a brief lull, but the current trend is no different than the pre-DotCom trend.

That's why most of that Techcrunch article on the housing crisis posted earlier just comes across as vapid. It attributes all of these national trends that are really just manifestations of income inequality to some unique SF Bay Area experience or local political atmosphere, when really the same thing is happening in every thriving city in the country. It may be happening more quickly here because of how crazy the tech boom is, but it's not like low-skill workers getting priced out or people wanting to preserve historic architecture at the cost of redevelopment are unique San Francisco phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I just don't think any of those events is unique to SF, either politically or culturally. They're the same fights that every city goes through with development, just with slightly different particulars. Portland had a massive conflict over a new Trader Joe's in a lovely lot in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood, and face constant battles with Intel and Nike millionaires fighting new trail construction in parts of Forest Park that the city owns (simply because the millionaires don't want people in their area).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

There was some listicle article I read recently about how sf was terrible. The one thing that really struck me was "everyone worth a drat has already moved to oakland." Maybe that struck me because I've followed countless others in moving out of the city to start a family in the suburbs. I love sf and I can't stand it at the same time. It's great if you're post college and rich or of you're tied into the various activism groups, but other than that... I'm straight, I'm over street festivals with naked people I don't particularly want to see naked. Halloween in the Castro has been utterly neutered from the awesomeness it used to be..

I'm over it.

It's funny how the same ridiculous attitude that the Bay Area has about LA is now being adopted by East and South Bayers about SF. So much hate on one side while the other side is just like, "yeah, that area is cool". The problem is that to all of these spurned-lover emigrants, all SF is is street festivals and letting your freak flag fly, but to lots of people SF is also about incredible natural geography, historic architecture, fantastic museums, and world-class parks. Sorry that those of us who remain aren't keeping it weird enough for you and Vice.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

SF diverts water from the Tuolumne river to fill the Hetch Hetchy, but is a junior rights holder to the local irrigation district. It's not going to have an impact on water deliveries inside the SF water system, but is contrary to the narrative that ag water supporters use.

Also blending is the only way LA uses it's water from the Colorado river, so there's that.

LA water is really gross, though. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

My "is this neighborhood too sketchy to live in" metric is based on a visual approximation of the frequency of corner liquor stores and check cashing places, plus whether or not every building has bars on all the windows on the first floor. You can get that from Google Street View, so when we were searching all over the bay area for housing back in 2009 that helped us eliminate some neighborhoods and reconsider some we hadn't at first thought would be OK.

This doesn't really work for the East Bay though, because tons of the petty crime travels outside of those neighborhoods. Our friend lives at the edge of Rockridge and by all appearances in a very nice upper middle class neighborhood. In the few years living there, she's been mugged on her corner, her neighbor's house was robbed in a way that made it clear they'd been watching her activity schedule, and a guy was shot outside her house after refusing to give his cell phone to a mugger. There are car break ins all the time. For the amount of rent she pays, she could easily live in the Outer Sunset and not have to deal with anywhere close to that amount of bullshit.

E: I almost feel like it's a worse situation than my friends who live on West Grand, because at least in a neighborhood like theirs you know what to expect just from looking around.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 3, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

This Secretary Of State race is retarded, and I hate both my options. Why the gently caress would 10% of the state vote for Leland Yee?

Because it's funny.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

withak posted:

IME Caltrans is where you go to work when you want to have time to spend on other (non-career) stuff.

The best part about Caltrans' continuous, habitual cost overruns that are almost always due to incompetence is that we the taxpayer are the ones who end up paying for them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

I have no doubt it will be appealed, but even if the appeal is successful it's a bad sign.

At least we have a Democrat in the White House, right? He's bound to be out there lobbying for our teach...

quote:

For students in California and every other state, equal opportunities for learning must include the equal opportunity to be taught by a great teacher," [Secretary of Education Arne] Duncan said in a statement. "The students who brought this lawsuit are, unfortunately, just nine out of millions of young people in America who are disadvantaged by laws, practices and systems that fail to identify and support our best teachers and match them with our neediest students.

"Today's court decision is a mandate to fix these problems."

:negative:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

From my own experience working within these educational reform movements, it doesn't really come down to firing the ineffective teachers. The older teachers get run out on a rail, generally targeted aggressively by administrators from the beginning of the school year. After that, everyone that doesn't fit the mold gets the axe. Once you start getting 50% turnover within a school year after year, it's very easy for administration to sort of break the preexisting culture of a school and replace it with something else.

It usually seems to come down to culture rather than student achievement. An older teacher with successful students will get run out long before a younger, more tech saavy teacher with unsuccessful students, in large part because the upper level administrators (district managers) will be walking classrooms looking for specific styles of teaching and for compliance with district initiatives rather than actually looking at test scores. Now, at the end of the year, your pay adjustment for next year may be based on those test scores (and things like student surveys to see if the kids liked you).

This is spot on. It's important for teachers to be free to be advocates for students and for school culture, and to be able to conduct an open dialog with administrators. There's no way for that to happen in a system without seniority or tenure.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

That Article misses the mark. The problem is not attracting great teachers to poor schools, hey someday that would be nice, but there's a bigger problem to fix first.

The problem here is that since it is basically impossible to fire horrible or ineffective teachers, they inevitably get shuffled off to poor schools. (which is where the equal protection argument comes from) Why? Because parents in wealthier districts raise holy hell until the administrators transfer the dregs of teaching into districts where the parents can't speak English and/or have too many other socioeconomic problems and don't have time to check on the school or complain. This is what the judge was talking about when he referred to "the dance of the lemons".

The teacher unions have often been preaching more money and smaller class sizes, but in California that is ludicrous because depending on the year they are already either the highest-paid or the 2nd-highest paid teachers of all the states in the nation, so money isn't an issue.

This isn't complicated. Government employees in California already are protected by strong unions and have solid dismissal processes to ensure due process. There's no reason why that same process can't work, if a district really wants to fire a teacher and can objectively articulate and show a reason for dismissal, they should be able to do it. Tenure is also a ridiculous concept at the grade school or high school level because it is generally intended to protect college professors who may decide to engage in controversial research, which just is not applicable below the college level.

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what tenure is. Tenure does not mean a teacher can't be fired, rather tenure is the "strong due process" that you're referring to. All it means is that if the administration wants to fire a teacher, they have to go through a neutral arbitrator to do so.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Excuse me but haven't you watched Waiting For Superman like every good American who cares about the future of our children to pay a conglomerate every step of the way through a lifetime of education?

Maybe in their next round of negotiations, the teacher's unions could insist that all contractual language use "due process" in place of "tenure". Let all of these privatizers attempt to sell the public on taking away teacher's due process.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah basically Marin county is overrun with rich fucks who don't want mixed use zoning or even apartments close to their precious mcmansions

Guys remember, this just sets a floor for density. The local government's would still be free to (never) zone for the current higher density requirements.

I only caught about 15 minutes of the show, but it was the perfect summary of why blaming tech workers for the Bay Area's housing crisis is missing the forest for the trees.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

etalian posted:

It's pretty sad how the original BART plan was more ambitious but got shot down since Marin, Santa Clara and San Mateo county didn't want to raise the bond money to make the service ring around the bay.

I like the fact that the North Bay is now spending an absolutely absurd amount of money to get an above ground train just from Santa Rosa top San Rafael

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Forum where they had on the CEO of this app company was hilarious. The guy was exactly as much of an rear end in a top hat as you'd expect, his arguments about why this is legal were completely ridiculous, and Michael Krasny actually had to interrupt him at one point and explain to him that Forum is "a dialog".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I'm at a loss as to what this guy is doing. Does his app secretly signal when someone is leaving a meter or something?

I think it's like Uber except with parking spots. Someone announces they are leaving a spot, someone else is notified about it and pays for the spot, then they meet and swap places. Of course it's just an exchange of information!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Bingo. "Oh, NASA aerospace engineer! Just like my nephew - he's an engineer at Facebook."

And yes, it is broadly similar to the practice of medicine and how it's regulated: prospective engineers must acquire an accredited engineering degree, pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam to get a license to practice as an intern, complete a multi-year internship under fully licensed professional engineers (typically 4 years - California is 6), then finally pass the Professional Engineering exam (pass rate ~50% just like the Bar) in order to use the title.

And in order to maintain the title you must complete Continuing Education requirements; this is typically 20 hours/year and also requires that you remain "of good character" meaning no felony convictions or things like DUIs or else your state board takes your license. Medical licenses are regulated in exactly the same way.

All of this is because the practice of engineering fundamentally impacts public safety - when engineers screw up, people die and engineers go to jail. It's a very big deal and while the younger engineers might laugh at these programmers calling themselves astronaut firemen or whatever, the older engineers who've actually been in court to defend their work tend to lose their goddamn mind about title misuse.

Even the AIA is starting to take notice with the misuse of the title "architect" for the exact same reasons. Sure, it's a pride thing, but it's also a major public safety issue, particularly in California.

So what about hardware engineers, do they get to count as engineers? I have a PE and if you compare what we studied in our engineering undergrad programs to what we're doing now, my friend who designs circuit boards is much more of an engineer than I am.

I understand the title difference in a professional sense, but getting mad that someone's job title includes engineer when you're talking about a field that doesn't even have a PE license is just silly.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

And with the tech industry's influence its unlikely California will accept the software PE test. I think we could probably use a software PE in California, especially as software code starts to have more and more lives in its hands (e.g. autonomous vehicles).

The electrical PE exam is hilarious. Taking it makes you feel like you've timewarped back to the 1940s. Like what tiny tiny niche of PEs in California need to know the most obscure details about brushed DC motor design? Even if you're specifying motors and generators and such, they're designed and built outside of the state. By far the most useful resource for me when studying for the PE was a handbook of electrical calculations published in 1983.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

If they want to light a fire, fine anyone with a green lawn. This whole "if water is running into the street" thing is ridiculous.

An old lady across the street from me was spraying out her garbage cans with a hose yesterday. Not her indoor trash cans, the cans that you put out for collection. Just hosing them down without a care in the world.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

My experience on the leeward side was less 'tropical look' and more like 'desolate volcanic hellscape'. Still pretty though.

Yeah I was on the Big Island last month, staying on the dry side, and the lushest that landscape got was dry scrub grass. The vast majority of that side of the island (outside of the artificially landscaped resort areas) is just barren lava fields that haven't grown back in the 50-100 years since they were active.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Family Values posted:

The point is that the people who need the safety net are also voting for politicians that want to cut or eliminate the safety net.

Are you sure they're not just not voting at all? Those poor rural counties are ripe for voter suppression laws and misinformation campaigns.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Seriously though where have Torlakson's ads been? It was literally only yesterday afternoon and early this morning when I've heard ads from him against Tuck, whereas Tuck's been inundiating the airwaves for weeks by now.

I saw multiple Torlakson ads during the World Series.

San Francisco is hilariously swamped with people holding "No on E" signs today. There has probably been more spent by the no campaign on that measure than on the rest of the city elections combined, it's ridiculous.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It may! (I don't know how the machines that tabulate those sheets work to know for sure)

So you're just making stuff up? The simplest implementation for these would be to just look for a certain amount of non-white space between the sides of the arrow, having too much black wouldn't do anything.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SplitDestiny posted:

Good, hope it passes in sf too.

The last results I saw for SF didn't look good, since it needs 2/3rds instead of just a simple majority. It's a better measure than the Berkeley version too, since the money would be guaranteed to children's nutrition and health programs. Sucks because it's going to lose with a majority "yes" vote.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mA posted:

I'm actually (pleasantly) shocked that Tuck didn't win, especially how things seemed to be trending during the last month and especially with the outside money rolling in.

I'm bummed about Chiu beating Campos in SF and Measure G going down, but it's not too surprising considering the hold that VCs and Tech has of the city these days.

I can't believe G lost so badly. If you actually read the measure, they had carved out exemptions for basically every concievable scenario where someone was actually using their property as housing and not as a quick-flip investment strategy. The only people it hurt were real estate agents getting huge fees off of yearly property turnover and the millionaires who are buying everything and immediately flipping it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

It is, and that's not a problem that's going to be fixed by making it easier to fire teachers or throwing down more charters. Our education problem is more systemic than that.

One of the big problems is that we have a large population & an education budget that doesn't reflect that, leading to California having the 49th lowest per-pupil spending in the nation. Other issues include the huge economic disparity between regions in California, and a large body of ELS students who underperform on state testing, because it turns out when you force them to take the same test as native English speakers they don't do so hot.

Yeah but what if we just fire all the teachers? I mean literally just put the kids in buildings and let them Lord of the Flies their way to success.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

The San Francisco version was actually defensible unlike Berkeley's "Berkeley vs. Big Soda" campaign that unsurprisingly will not tax the sundry unhealthy beverages that Berkeley voters are more likely to drink and will not do anything to improve the public's health anyway. This town's politics are awful.

The ironic thing is that the only reason the SF version needed 2/3rds is because the revenue was targeted instead of going to the general fund, which was the main criticism of Berkeley's version. It's a very weird and stupid rule. We're just going to see the same measure next year, except it will be worse because they'll change it to just go to the general fund.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AshB posted:

For example, it used to be that if you had three petty thefts on your record, the fourth would be a felony. Makes sense: a repeated disregard for the law for the same offense should have escalating consequences. But now it can't be felony unless the person has a prior for one of a very narrow few serious crimes like murder or rape. That's a pretty arbitrary line, in my opinion.

The real-world effect of 47 is that a lot of cases will get kicked over from felonies to misdemeanor land, where courts in impacted counties (more crime, less funding) will really suffer. In those counties, basically what will happen is that the realities of jail overcrowding and budget constraints will force prosecutors to lowball their offers and basically offer no jail or reduced jail time on crimes they otherwise ought to face more reasonable consequences for.

These are good things, not bad.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Have any cities ever tried extra-high property taxes that only apply to people's second homes? It seems like such a proposition would be a slam dunk at the ballot box.

San Francisco had a measure this year that was basically this and it got annihilated.

quote:

Proposition G would impose an additional tax on the total sale price of certain multi-unit residential properties that are sold within five years of purchase or transfer. The following table shows the tax rates that would apply:

Length of Time Seller Has Owned Property - Tax Rate:

Less than one year - 24 percent
One to two years - 22 percent
Two to three years - 20 percent
Three to four years - 18 percent
Four to five years - 14 percent
This additional tax would apply to sales occurring on or after January 1, 2015.

This additional tax would not apply in the following circumstances:

The property is a single-family house or condominium and does not include an in-law unit;
An owner of the property, including a tenancy-in-common unit, has used it as a primary residence for at least one year immediately before the sale;
The property contains more than 30 separate residential units;
The property is sold for an amount equal to or less than what the seller paid for the property;
The property is sold within one year of a property owner’s death;
The property is legally restricted to low- and middle-income households;
The property is newly built housing;
The property meets the following criteria: it contains no more than two dwelling units; the seller applied on or before July 1, 2014, for a building permit for a project with a total construction cost of $500,000 or more; and the last permit was issued no more than a year before the sale of the property; or
The sale of the property is exempt from the existing transfer tax.

Just look at all of those exceptions. It basically carved out the tax to only apply to flippers. And yet it lost 55%-45% (granted, that was out of only 170k votes cast so only a difference of about 15k votes).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I don't get that, though. When I'm in the Tenderloin, I go grab a quick bite to eat at a bangin' Burmese place (not Burma Superstar, so I get it, I'm making an unfashionable decision). Then I wander down to a loving awesome beer bar. Get pretty blackout. If I want, there are two pretty solid music venues, so I can go that direction. Personally, I usually don't, but that's because I'm not a big music guy. So, I grab a good kebab or some bangin' tacos. How is that any different from the Mission?

My friend lived in the TL while going to UC Hastings and said there were people doing heroin in her building's entrance area every single day. And needles littering the ground everywhere. Also I can only assume you're not female because if so I seriously doubt you would feel so comfortable in the area.

I don't have any issues visiting the area but living there is a completely different experience.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Becaue its already abbreviated to LA

People call San Francisco "SF" all the time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Saying Hella is dumb. Or even worse, hecka

Hecka owns, sorry haters.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bizarro Watt posted:

Is it state law that the board of supervisors of each county needs to be set at 5? That seems to be consistent. Just curious.

The SF Board of Supervisors has 11 members.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Plastic doesn't rip if I hold it wrong.

So keep a tote in your trunk, this is not hard.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

What if I dont wana buy a loving bag when they used to be free.

Then you're a grumpy old man? The horror of paying $1 for a bag that will last 10+ years, my god.

I'm sorry to be the one to break this news to you, but as time passes some things that used to be free will no longer be free.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

I use disposable bags to pick up dog poop. Do that with your public radio tote. :colbert:

I buy compostable poop bags.

My son's daycare sends his cloth diapers home in plastic bags and I have no idea where they get this endless supply of them. We bought an extra waterproof reusable bag for them to use instead, but they said it was too nice and wouldn't use it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

etalian posted:

It's because people in the Bay Area are smarter and as a result can easily handle the more complex interchanges.

It's funny because the traffic report has an accident just before the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza every...loving...day.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's legit terrifying to me to watch global warming slowly cook Riverside and the Inland Empire alive. It's predicted to be over 80 degrees here for the next 7 days, peaking at 90 degrees on Saturday. In March. Where, historically, only 1 day in 10 is over 80 degrees. Jesus Christ.

San Francisco barely has fog anymore. It's been 70s and sunny every day for like a year and a half.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bay Area public radio (KQED) just had an hour on earthquake safety with 4 expert guests, related to this new report. Someone wrote in asking where each expert lived and whether they had earthquake insurance, and none of them had insurance despite living right by faults (SF, Berkeley, and Pasadena). Every single one said the money was better spent retrofitting your building. :clint:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

withak posted:

A well-designed retrofit is a lot more reliable than an insurance policy full of loopholes. Also the insurance doesn't do you any good if you die in your collapsed house.

Yeah I know, I just thought it was funny especially in light of this thread (or maybe one of the other SF Bay threads) in the past being aghast that people don't have earthquake insurance. A retrofit is actually much, much cheaper than insurance too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Retrofitting your building can be cheap or expensive, but it's not an either/or proposition. People should do both, if they can afford to. An earthquake retrofit can help ensure the building itself doesn't collapse completely in a certain range of quakes, but there is always a bigger quake possible, and insurance could compensate you for damage that wasn't fatal to the building, too. So when people go "oh I've got a retrofit, I don't need insurance" they're being stupid; their potential loss could still be tens of thousands of dollars in repairs, and the insurance for their retrofitted building will be a lot cheaper.

Some buildings (particularly masonry) cost far more to retrofit than others, and the nature of the ground your house is on matters enormously, too. Basically what I'm getting at is this is not a cut-and-dry thing, it's not fear-mongering to talk about insurance, and it's dumb to think that a retrofit is always the best and only option for homeowners.

These were the guests on the show:

Morgan Page, research geophysicist with the USGS in Pasadena
Patrick Otellini, chief resilience officer and director of earthquake safety for the City and County of San Francisco
Richard Allen, director of the Berkeley Seismological Laboratory and professor in the Department of Earth and Planetary Science at UC Berkeley
Tim Dawson, engineering geologist with the California Geological Survey

Literally none of them had earthquake insurance. Obviously they're not actuaries, but if these folks don't have insurance then I don't feel compelled to rush out and get it either.

e: $641 a year is super cheap, when I looked into it I was looking at $200-$300 per month for anything even remotely useful.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2015