Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'd rather be rid of Ro Khanna in the first round, but I suppose it will feel good to vote against him twice.
Can someone explain to me what is so lovely about Khanna? I wasn't planning to vote for the guy but I'm having trouble finding information about him that doesn't come from a Honda campaign ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Can I just ask one question to natetimm? Why are you so absolutely convinced that giving the state and local governments the power to set property taxes will lead to disaster? Most other states grant local governments that power and it hasn't made it impossible for non-super-rich people to live there. What exactly is so different about CA that will suddenly cause the total cost of a home to skyrocket if we repeal prop 13?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

natetimm posted:

It's a known precedent that giving those powers to communities rather than the state exacerbates the different quality education disadvantaged students receive in poor areas. The rest of the nation is figuring out that letting municipalities set and collect their school taxes ends up with privileged islands of rich whiteness in a sea of disadvantaged people of color. Having the state collect and distribute it equally is a much better solution.
I believe I asked why you think housing costs would skyrocket if prop 13 was repealed, not why you think property taxes are bad.

You've been asserting throughout this thread that repealing prop 13 will lead to grannies being forced to sell their homes because of the incredible rise in property taxes. But this isn't a major issue for the majority of the country that doesn't have a prop 13. Why is CA different?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

natetimm posted:

Typical tax and spend mentality. Nobody should have it better than you. All trees made equal by the chainsaw. Ca gets it's 4th highest taxes just fine. Sorry you bought at the peak of the bubble.
Typical conservative rear end in a top hat mentality. If I have it better than someone else then it should never ever change ever. Can't have that.

Or in other words, it's okay to gently caress 95% of the population out of owning a home as long as the other 5% get to keep what they have. Public good? What's that?

EDIT: Actually, that's not even a conservative rear end in a top hat mentality. It's just an rear end in a top hat mentality.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 31, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal (unless their parents bought a sweet house in the '70s in which case we should totally give them more money)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Pohl posted:

I don't get how hard it is to ask someone if they really want you to put your dick in them. How hard is that? Not the dick, the question.
Hell, you don't even need to ask "would you like to have sexual intercourse" like a robot (regardless how much internet nerds seem to think otherwise). If things start heating up with your partner, just ask them what they want to do. I'm pretty sure a woman saying she wants you to gently caress her is affirmative consent.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I've been hearing some talk the last few days about how even though the sentiment behind prop 45 is good, it's actually better to vote No because there's a bunch of unresolved issues with how the Insurance Commissioner will interact with Covered CA and their rate negotiations. Is there any merit to this claim? I already voted Yes because gently caress insurance companies forever, but I'm curious.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

My personal favorite intersection is the Rengstorff exit on 101 south.

Not only does it have the same issue of "let's make a merge-on/merge-off lane that's only 100 feet long lol" that the Mathilda exit has, it has the added bonus that said lane has literally no reason to exist. There is an existing entrance to 101 south less than 1000 feet away!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S THE FREEWAY. You don't say "take freeway," you say "take the freeway," as in "take the 5 freeway to the 405 freeway."

edit: I said freeway too many times. Freeway!!
"Take highway 101 to San Francisco." Bam. No "the".

Fake edit: Also, speaking as a Massachusetts transplant, they're all just highways you idiots. Stop saying freeway. :colbert:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Who determines how water is distributed? Maybe that's the problem?
What's your solution?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

No one can own a cloud. That is true. But how could the tragedy of the commons apply to a cloud? Doesn't it only apply to things like rivers and lakes?
Who loving cares? Stop nitpicking and actually respond to people's points.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

What is this thread's opinion on proposition 61? I'm tempted to reflexively vote for it because gently caress pharmaceutical companies all day every day, but everything I hear about it makes it feel like it falls under "good intentions, but really lovely execution." Has anyone here looked into it closely?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Papercut posted:

The best thing, by far, that KQED broadcasts is Fresh Air. Now there is someone who knows how to do an interview.
I don't listen to Fresh Air much since it doesn't line up with my commute, but I will never forgive Terri Gross for interviewing Allie Brosh (of Hyperbole and a Half fame) about her struggles with depression and suicide, something she was still struggling with at the time of the interview, and straight-up asking her live on air, "You said that you became suicidal. How were you planning to kill yourself?"

I'm sure she's done some amazing interviews over the years, but holy goddamn poo poo that was chilling. :stonk:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

The landlords here to visit... they’re blasting disco down below...

Hm yes, the excruciating labor of... owning the title to a building. Such a burden.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Stunt_enby posted:

yes president copmala is exactly what we need during a time where literally everyone hates the police, smooth loving move lmao
i can already picture the attack ads in my mind
Fortunately Trump's campaign can't
https://twitter.com/tcberenson/status/1293284748048183297?s=19

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Oh boy, the heat is causing power outages in the South Bay now :sigh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

I am a real estate speculator.
I respect the sheer balls of openly admitting this here, at least.

Everything else about you and what you do can get hosed.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

How did this person get probed but not Enigma89?
Telling people to kill themselves is kinda frowned upon here, no matter how much they suck.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

This is the weirdest loving headline for one of the more "holy poo poo" news items I've seen in awhile:

https://ktla.com/news/california/california-considers-extending-eviction-protections-for-unpaid-rent-past-june/

quote:

California considers extending eviction protections for unpaid rent past June

Gov. Gavin Newsom says California will pay off all the past-due rent that accumulated in the nation’s most populated state because of the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, a promise to make landlords whole while giving renters a clean slate.

[...]

California has $5.2 billion to pay off people’s rent, money from multiple aid packages approved by Congress. That appears to be more than enough to cover all of the unpaid rent in the state, according to Jason Elliott, senior counselor to Newsom on housing and homelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1438006393441689600?s=20

A bit surprised to get an actual concession. Thought he'd stick to the fraud claim grift for a week or two first.
The margin is too overwhelming.