Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A idea so bad it was copied by Oregonians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

I think sales tax in Seattle is higher than LA.

(Youre thinking of Oregon...)

Yeah Washington has no personal/corporate income tax but a big sales tax.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThirdPartyView posted:

Estate taxes actually go up to 39.6% on the federal level - there is no preferable capital gains rate on the estate tax since it isn't an income tax but rather a transfer tax. It's only cashing out said capital assets that gets preferable treatment, but even then, cash will never be taxable on disposal so cash is still preferable to capital assets in that regard.

Edit: The reason that the stock is preferable is due to the appreciation potential whereas cash is cash and doesn't change in amount.

It's unlikely that anyone will see the federal estate tax given how the exemption is up to 5 million dollars:

Also since this thread is the CA discussion, the state doesn't even have a state level estate tax.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

A worthless rear end in a top hat that got rich by bullying people and has nothing to offer the world? OC or Beverly are the obvious choices.

This is my favorite feel good article about OC:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2012/09/50_reasons_why_orange_county_is_the_worst_place_in_america.php

quote:

It was gay rights icon Harvey Milk who described Orange County best, in response to California State Senator John Briggs describing San Francisco as "the moral garbage dump of homosexuality in this country."

"Nobody likes garbage 'cause it smells," Milk told reporters. "Yet eight million tourists visited San Francisco last year. I wonder how many visited Fullerton."

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 1, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minarchist posted:

I still live in OC :sigh:

At least I don't have to commute on the 405 every day anymore, and I wish a quick, merciful death for anyone stuck driving on the 91 east into Riverside :smithicide:

just be glad you don't have a late night job in OC:
http://www.ocweekly.com/2007-02-08/news/illegally-park-ed/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Hurray for hipster approved air pollutants

California already produces enough cock sauce as is in the san fernando valley.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whitey delenda est posted:

Is this article bolded in this fashion to poke fun at celebrity gossip magazines?

I grew up in the Midwest and Fullerton is the midwestiest of LA suburbs I've ever seen.

Yeah it's somewhat out of place when compared to other big cities such as LA, Oakland or SF.

pretty much the colorado springs of the state

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blindeye posted:

I'm curious asking you guys, because as I see it development in San Francisco is really reaching saturation, LA has a lot of catching up to do with transit and other infrastructure to make building up work, and the interior cities having not nearly as much to offer, what solutions do you guys see for people who want to move to California, who want to be a part of a (better) community?

Get used to renting or having a home in the sketchier neighborhoods unless you make shitloads of money.

Fixing the problem would require a massive change in local politics and also cooperation between counties to better develop things such as more high density zoning/better mass transit funding.

Also even though new construction is picking up in places like SF the reality is most of the projects have a decade window from start to finish:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2013/12/san_franciscos_housing_pipeline_breaks_the_50000_unit_m.html

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 2, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The high cost of housing does make moving here from somewhere else tough, though. You need to afford the first/last/deposit or your down payment, which means saving up a lot more money to come here. If you have a job already lined up, it's worth negotiating for moving expenses. But even if you don't - it can be done, I know lots of people who have done it, and if you like it here, it's worth it.

It's usually better rent IMO, there's no way of knowing if the relocation will work out and the high housing prices means you have to stay in the area a good amount of time to make buying a better financial deal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Absolutely. In that goon's case he was talking about moving back to the bay area, so presumably already knows he likes it here, but I would encourage people not to buy too quickly in any location until they're certain they're going to stay there for 8+ years. I post a lot in the BFC homebuying thread and that is our advice to everyone. Many of the reasons people think they should buy ("throwing away money on rent") are bullshit.

Also renting for a year or two makes it easier to find a neighborhood that matches your criteria much better. Relocation is a big enough before you even have to make big decisions like a buying a house at the new location.

For the earthquake chat places like SOMA and the Financial district would get wiped out assuming Godzilla doesn't arrive first. Other areas like the Mission at least have higher quality ground.

Another fun fact is the black areas on the map are so dangerous since it's actually landfill that was tossed in the bay after the famous 1906 quake:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

But seriously, where the gently caress do I find information on the primary? I'm new to the area, so the internet is no good since I don't know what to look for and I haven't made any politically-minded friends here yet.

If you register to vote you should get a voting guide in the mail that has all the candidates.

Also the state has a really simple to use vote by mail program.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

While it would be fun, I'm a sucker for voting on principles when I can, which is what makes the Controller race so disappointing (I'd vote Laura Wells (Green) based on politics, but it's basically either Betty Yee or John Perez to be up against Swearengin in November, and I'd rather see the former than the latter)

Also, guess who's running for Attorney General (at least that election is easy, everyone else besides Kamala Harris is either Libertarian or Republican so...)

I lolled at her short campaign platform blurb, it was all Obama birther conspiracies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

^^^ I agree, and it's why I've made a note to vote Ellen Brown as my Treasurer candidate. But I'm still torn on the Controller ticket, even if Wells wants to audit Prop 13 :unsmigghh:. ^^^

Some wonderful bond arguments going on in the lower/mid-Peninsula by the way, with respect to a bond measure to help improve the many open spaces along the Santa Cruz Mountains, Measure AA (text markup has been unedited from the voter's pamphlet):

They then add (in their argument against), that "Under the language of this measure, there is no telling how the $300 million will be used (except generally to purchase and maintain open space areas as provided in its Section 3). The section refers to an "Expenditure Plan" containing "priority actions" with lots of possible projects; however, no project is assured" and then demand that the proponents explain "how much money each of the many possible projects listed in the current 'Expenditure Plan' would cost", which the measure explicitly does (see the bottom of the measure), not that they seem to care. It is all very entertaining to see Libertarian whining about taxes though... :allears:

EDIT: P.S. If you don't want to vote for a Super Genius who "has tremendously used his Super Genius brain to the benefits of the American Students by instilling in them skills, confidence and competence in solving ANY Mathematical problems" for governor, there is always the choice to vote for the candidate whose campaign promises include "To all 100% people of California.", "We seen past twenty." and "East or west will be best on planet earth."

The monsters are planning to build trails just for dogs at the cost of millions of dollars!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at how people still go to the polling station in California.

Just fill it out right and do the magic double fold thing at the end.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sacramento made the most sense for a state capital instead of SF or LA.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a side note how that wild high speed rail coming along?

In hindsight it probably would have been better to use the money to just unfuck masstransit for all the main population centers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Sacbee has a long article about the Bay Bridge construction and quality concerns.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/sinclair/sinclair.jquery/baybridge/index.html

Without actually being involved in the industry, I can't tell how much is "par for the course and Sacbee just as an axe to grind" or if these are "disastrous revelations and the bridge is going to fall down tomorrow"

He also had lots of trips to China and also stayed in 5 star hotels to the tune of $50,000 dollars a year.

Also is Sacramento really that horrible of a place to live?

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 10, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

Honestly, it's not. There are a lot of great bars, food, buildings, cost of living is cheap, lot of great fresh local produce, and Tahoe is a jump away. As far as California cities, I liked living in Davis and Sacramento. But it's rather car centric and gets really loving hot in the summer/fall and I don't like the heat :colbert:

texas like heat without texans

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

Yeah there is sadly a lot of corruption when it comes to government agencies of any sort. See FCC leaders being in bed with Comcast/Verizon and getting jobs there, visa versa. Bay Bridge is going to be alright, it's pretty overengineered but there is still going to be a lot of expensive repairs going on from lowest-bid/corruption type poo poo work but it won't really compromise the safety of the bridge.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the meeting in which Caltrans upper management decided to give the bridge contract to a inexperienced foreign company.

From the Bee article sounds like they though they would save money since it was lower than the local competition due to things such as cheaper materials

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I found this Nate Silver article about Silicon Valley really compelling for that reason: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...type=blogs&_r=0

Basically, that Silicon Valley is just as conservative as when it elected Reagan, but the Republican party is so conservative now SV appears liberal.

SV is not so much loony rand businessmen like Palantir's Thiel but center left corporate friendly democrats.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Papercut posted:

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what tenure is. Tenure does not mean a teacher can't be fired, rather tenure is the "strong due process" that you're referring to. All it means is that if the administration wants to fire a teacher, they have to go through a neutral arbitrator to do so.

he's good at parroting school reform myths like claiming tenure means employment for life

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/24322-the-fine-art-of-eviction

They have made a career out of being utter shitbags.

What sort of tricks do they do exactly?

http://www.sftu.org/justcauses.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Ellis act evictions are the most common these days, in fact SF is getting an exemption to the Ellis act for that specific reason.

Yeah plus the hot real estate markets means landlords can bite the bullet and get rid all of the tenants in order to convert a rental property to something like a condo.

You can also do a big "rehab" project kick all the tentants and then convert over to a condo too, even though both tricks require paying a year of relocation costs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, that's fair. After browsing the HSRA site a little, I feel better about the project - though there's still the outstanding question of how much pollution and traffic it'll actually alleviate.

On the bright side the side has diverted some HSRA funding to projects which should work out just find such as the Caltrain modernization project.

The modernization projects also have a quicker window so the benefits will be seen much sooner, while god knows how long it will take to actually finish the high speed rail project or give it
the old yellow treatment due to exploding costs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah basically Marin county is overrun with rich fucks who don't want mixed use zoning or even apartments close to their precious mcmansions

quote:

The bill's author, San Rafael Assembly Member Marc Levine, says it would lead to smarter growth more in-character with the county's rural nature.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

classy people ride the Caltrain

:colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

on the left posted:

Tech companies aren't young white men only. Google specifically has only 60% white workers, compared to 80% white in the broader workforce.

It seems really far-fetched to complain about companies providing high-income jobs and then turn it into some kind of race war because they treat their employees well. Such crab mentality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Now men, on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-b7-fLOjlY

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kenning posted:

Holy poo poo that last one.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty sad how the original BART plan was more ambitious but got shot down since Marin, Santa Clara and San Mateo county didn't want to raise the bond money to make the service ring around the bay.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Papercut posted:

I like the fact that the North Bay is now spending an absolutely absurd amount of money to get an above ground train just from Santa Rosa top San Rafael

Yeah the Smart train project is pretty lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

To think that we could have had a BART station on Mission Boulevard here in Fremont, which is today probably the most car-centric, pedestrian-unfriendly part of the whole city :sigh:

e: seeing a BART line going up the 680 corridor down Danville/Alamo and San Ramon would also be quite the sight.

The only flaw in the 1956 mass transit plan was putting a stop in Atherton.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Maps like these make me ashamed to be a Peninsulaire. We're probably the NIMBYest people in the entire Bay Area except for maybe the folks in Marin and Napa.

From mass transit to housing nothing is safe from NIMBY.

I lolled reading a article about Burglingame in which local residents were whining about the Caltrain electrification project since it would require cutting some limbs off the local prize winning Eucalyptus trees.

Yup local residents get bitter over improving mass transit since it would hurt poor trees, which are actually non-native invasive species trees that were imported from Australia.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think everyone can agree that the caltrain owns, also nice that the pie in the sky high speed rail project will at least have some trickle down funding for more practical local needs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

Yeah, I grew up all over Sonoma (Healdsburg, Windsor, Guerneville, & Cotati) and used to commute to Petaluma, Santa Rosa and San Rafael (and sometimes SF) a lot in nearly every direction. It's not bad once you get the traffic patterns down. Novato is nice, I knew some people from SRJC there and it's a pretty good place to live and close to everything.

SMART is going to be a bit of a boondoggle because it's going to be expensive and very time consuming if you want to get to SF. You'll have to pay ~$6-10 x 2 for the train, then wait around for the ferry and another $6.25 x 2, and then that will still only take you to the Ferry Building. The first phase doesn't even take you to Larkspur so you'd have to get off at San Rafael and then wait for a connecting bus to take you the Ferry and ugh. Phase 1 is going to be a clusterfuck and it's going to be held up by opponents who will say "look it doesn't work! nobody is using it!" and then phase 2 will probably get delayed due to funding. It'd be nice to have the option to get between cities without driving, but most of the jobs are not really centralized with a kinda poor bus system so I'm not seeing much use of it for commute purposes.

Yeah also Sonoma tends to be a more rural county with a lower population and also density than the more built up parts of the bay area.

Another side note is all the way back in the 80s there were proposals to switch Caltrain over to electricity but was blocked by you know who/lack of local funding. It was until the high speed rail white elephant project that Caltrain finally got enough federal funding to seriously start the upgrade.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cafel posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. How the gently caress do you even write that?

So hiring Agent 47 to knock him off would not be unethical?

A big part of the startup mindset is not worrying about troublesome things like legal obstacles or even ethical considerations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Woooooo Tim Draper got enough signatures to get his 6-state plan on the ballot! :haw:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/15/us-usa-california-breakup-idUSKBN0FK03P20140715

Draper is quite the horrible tech industry stereotype loon, he also has lots of hilarious shell game projections like the for profit Draper University in San Mateo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Even HBO's excellent Silicon Valley got a butthurt reaction from tech gods like Elon Musk since it had the gall to parody and mock the lofty aspirations of the california tech industry.

A industry that pretty much pretends to follow some sort of noble liberating "let's change the world" crusade when it's all about hoping to cash out from a juicy buyout google deal or good stock IPO.

Basically a vast circlejerk culture similar to the video game industry.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Family Values posted:

'Six Californias' plan falls short of making November 2016 ballot

I'm sad. Now we won't get to find out how badly it would've gone down in flames.

Tim Draper is a pretty hilarious startup loon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On California occasionally getting something right:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-15/calpers-to-exit-hedge-funds-citing-expenses-complexity.html

Calpers basically decided to dump all their hedge fund investments