Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

tuluk posted:

pandasmores, is your legal grudgematch with your chain of command still ongoing or has it been resolved?
:chiefsay:

Resolved at XOI. XO just looked at me, reviewed the evidence and then asked what I was even doing there, dismissing it all. Feel bad that it wasted his time but it was all out of my control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ded posted:

So what was it?

Art. 111, Reckless Driving.

Went to a restaurant to celebrate a friends birthday, had a few drinks, everyone walked to a bar while the DD took me to our apartment. Couple of dudes came back to the pad hammered several hours later, birthday boy was toasted so I babysat him for a bit/cleaned him up while everyone else sobered up for work. We got hungry so I got in my car and left to get some food when one of the guys called me up before we left and said some of the other guys got jumped (in reality one of them started a fight and got his rear end handed to him and ran off). Apparently, they left a guy at the bar, so we had to go pick him up. Grabbed a dude for directions and I went to the bar, cops said he was taken to the local hospital so I went there and picked him up after a few more hours to discharge. Went to the barracks and got ready for work. Luckily no one out of the idiots got hurt. I never got pulled over or anything, and from the calculations of the dudes that did my SARP screening/treatment I was sober by the time I got behind the wheel, so I just didn't understand what the hell I was being charged with.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Seqenenra posted:

So during the above time period, you interacted with the police and they didn't worry about you maybe driving drunk. But some chiefs took a stab at math and tried to estimate what your BAC would be and charge you with what is essentially a DUI. Is that about right?

Well they did each have almost 20 years of experience individually, culminating into almost 200 years among them. What do police and SARP counselors know?

Oh, AND in their own personal experience they wouldn't have limited their drinks like I did so obviously anyone under Chief is a thoughtless animal.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think they fly signal flags at hospitals.

They have some weird colored flags that fly out on some ship mast looking thing with weird colors going along. All I know about them is we can't fly the ensign lower than them if we're at half mast.

So my friend's fiance just got told in boot camp that he's going to be an MM Nuke, when will he find out how lovely his life is? She's asking me questions like I know the answer.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Your friend's soon to be cheating ex fiancé? If he's in bootcamp the lovely life started already. And you don't get "told in bootcamp" that you're going in as a nuke.

No, he knew he was going to be a Nuke, I guess he didn't know what specialty.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I've been praying for a deployment with the Marines forever, but even reservists would get deployed before me :smith:

edit: Awwwww Poopkitty <3 <3 <3

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 7, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Double posting because I'm on my phone and am incredibly lazy; you can always do US maps, but I'm not entirely sure how useful the piece of paper you get from that is, also don't forget about navy COOL. Obviously both of those are somewhat rate dependant, i.e. don't expect the navy to pay for an IT cert if you're a GSM.

Nah, Navy COOL only pays if you're in the rating and you've been doing the gig in some capacity for a while. It's just a matter of your chain of command deciding what they want to do with it I figure. Mine was stopped in the process almost a month ago because they wanted to count this PRT as the most recent rather than the last one that happened, so now I'm just sitting here waiting for a CDR to sign off on it before it gets to the actual EDTRA officer.

Some places also provide a military discount in certification, I can get my level 2 cert at a discount of like 1/3 of the original price so that's great.

Now to just find the energy out of a slump to get into a class and apply for TA, yet another chit to be lost or held onto with a command scrutinizing every dime going into it. Found out one of the first classes would just shred old chits if she forgot about them or they got lost on her desk because she lost track of things easily.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

The command pays nothing for TA, and the chit is routed through email directly to your CO. I think.

Don't stress. TA is one of those things that only the service member applying could actually screw up.

Not here. They have us route it up through our LPO, LCPO, SEL, DH, Watchbill Coordinator and then to the EDTRA officer.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sadly it isn't my CoC that made the drat routing matrix. :smithicide:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Because command's so small if step on one person's balls everyone gets on your back, but I'll try and fight for it using navadmins and stuff. They trump local policy don't they? Since I have 2 years left here I figured laying my head low was the best, DRB and all.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Just curious how much freedom do sailors have during A school in Great Lakes? I was told a lot of them lose their poo poo being "adults" for their first time.

For corpsmen it was more of a boot camp 1.5, with them not really giving a poo poo about what you do out in Chicago as long as the cops aren't poking their heads into the command. They were pretty quick on pulling liberty cards from classes with irresponsible people so that their fellow students would come down on them like the wrath of some vengeful, horny, drunken god. Now in San Antonio it's loving hilarious because they're strict on all these kids and can't tell the C schoolers from the A schoolers, so they have a chance to kind of slack off if they're walking around and no one recognizes them. I got some poor bastard in trouble with his class leader because I told the liberty card dude to go gently caress himself when he haggled me about dropping off a card at the quarterdeck that I didn't have (C schoolers don't get them).

Boot camp 2.0 is Field Medical Training Battalion at Camp Pendleton though.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hahaha, some dude that got out of Field Med in Camp Pendleton sent an email straight to the CO asking her if we can wear the Marine camo pattern instead of NSUs to show "that we are 8404" qualified. He had the decency to notify his chain of command by CCing them in the email.

The answer was No.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

nacirema posted:

I just finished basic, and now on route to San Antonio for corp school. My god boot camp was boring

It's just as boring as boot camp, except you can go out to San Antonio or I also recommend taking a weekend to Austin City Limits if you're into the music scene. Car rentals are fairly cheap some places.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

They are having HNs do seat belt checks because some people aren't wearing them. From the numbers it's mostly the contractors that go around trimming bushes and poo poo.

We've started barracks preinspections too the day before the inspection to cut down on people failing (no one is).

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

3 years and 2 months left. NSTR

1 year 7 months :smug:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

One of those FM casters might also be good, bought one for my drive from San Antonio to Lemoore and sweet jesus did it save me. Still comes in handy whenever the local stations have music I hate on my drives to work or to LA/SF. Some of them also charge the iPod while it's playing.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The ones that get out and do their job are some of the happiest people ever. Always brings a smile to my face that people find happiness outside.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

'Sup fellow oldster. Those shirts were amazing. The silkies, though? I am SO glad they're gone.

Weren't silkies the amazing, bestowed by an angel from heaven shorts that would save everyone from uncomfortable chaffing or whatever?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

3 more to go for me. Some of the new people asked me why I do the bike instead of the run. Saying I breathe easier in the gym than out in the dust and stank of cow poo poo apparently isn't good enough. They were cracking jokes, and I'm the one laughing as they hack up a lung several feet away while I get ready to go lift. Also EMI officially over, and I'm flying under the radar because some other dudes screwed up.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I like seeing people decide they are going to do the machine and then not practicing at all until the PRT. I love watching the smug turn into pain (at least for those that are trying to do well on it). I'm a bike guy myself but I use it enough to know what resistance and RPM give me the best numbers. :spergin: I do it because I have a bum knee but I think the filthy air at Lemoore is a plenty good reason to not run.

15 Resistance at a constant 100 RPM with some Dethklok guiding my way :unsmigghh:

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

haha...did you go to the CCU?

Hahaha no, still have freedom.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Question: why do CTs with easy day jobs keep killing themselves?

Because they developed poor coping mechanisms in their youth and thought joining the Navy would give them a leg up while also serving as a tool to man up, their mistakes piling up as they realize the only thing that changed is indentured servitude to the system with them wearing a uniform, their lives a meaningless husk.

Or they just hate their lives. Who knows, everyone is different.

Daydreaming during the run to the point that you are just jogging long was always fun, another favorite was miscounting what lap you're on. I love hearing excuses.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

How the hell do you fail sit ups? I have a lovely back that pops and cracks as I do them and leaves me with numb arms or legs and I still get a Good or Excellent hahahahaha.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

I failed my sit ups after a hernia surgery a long while back. Pride and overconfidence put me four sit ups below a sat.

Ouch. At least you got the surgery. I have a friend that's a surgical technician and he refuses to get his fixed. Now whenever they have to tape him the ACFLs get the new guys to do it so when they see his six pack they think he just magically has a 7th one popping out. It's cool and weird.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Leave in a week, I think I'll spend it couch surfing along the coast. Any cool places you guys would recommend for San Fran and stuff around there? I need to escape the Valley and pretend I live somewhere else for a while. Already have some museums, aquariums and poo poo thought out, but there's likely some cool place to eat or whatever I'm not aware of.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lol 11%, and all the whiny people that would make terrible petty officers are regretting their knee pads.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I hope you made it panda, GL! <3 <3 <3

It's 5am, so it's time for a drink.

Oh god please don't put that evil on me. HN fo lyfe.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So, I'm on the last didactic day of Corps school. It was supposed to be a movie day, before we start clinicals next week, but because one single person talked during muster, we get to sit completely silently in a room and stare at a wall. 2.5 hours down, 5.5 hours to go. loving poo poo. Every HM1 and HM2 teaching at this school makes me wonder how bad it's going to be in the hospital. At least I get to go to lab tech school after this.

Don't worry. Just keep your head down and you'll be fine. Most techs are ghosts at whatever command they end up at, even the smaller ones. Hell, here in Lemoore the techs go entire contracts never meeting each other until they go to check out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hooyah Shipmates, bettering the world one saved port at a time by not helping the terrorists profit from sex trade :colbert:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hahaha, so many angry posts on facebook. God I love this. Motivation burning up and disappointment settling in.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poo poo, how do you loving tear a line? Doesn't it gently caress up the bollard too?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

drat, those things can kill you can't they just from the force right?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

What do those extra numbers mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

The bigger the worse it is generally. Haven't been on a carrier but I've only heard bad things.

The entirety of bad things I've heard of carrier medical was from my friends complaining about how lovely the corpsmen and doctors on board were. I have one friend that's getting discharged because something got dropped onto her foot and now she has drop foot because the MD on board, as well as the corpsmen, didn't even bother to do an x-ray regardless of the number of times she went in to get it seen since it just kept getting worse. Can't feel/move anything below her knee.

Another dude dropped a hammer on his face and just got gauze put on without a suture.

God help you if one of those idiots needs to draw blood from you.

• Locked thread