Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hell yeah. My roommate recently bought a crock-pot. I just dumped a poo poo load of chicken in there and emptied a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's into it.

Add small amount of apple cider vinegar, a little bit of brown sugar and some crushed red pepper flakes. Its the cats rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, I'll stick to corn country. Where the GOP keeps getting confused because they somehow forget that we're all generally of the opinion that shoving our personal beliefs down someone else's throat is just plain rude. Gotta love being a mostly-blue state in flyover country!

But for some unknown awful reason we voted Branstad back in. (Because Culver was a loving idiot).

Personally I can't wait to leave next door red state hell. When the only Governors running for this state are all Republican and who is the biggest darling endorsed by Sarah Palin... Ugh.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd say come to Iowa, but unless you're in the ag business, there's no reason to ever come here.

It is a wasteland of corn, pigs, rust, and emptiness.

Des Moines Metro, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids (as long as the winds aren't blowing in the wrong direction) are actually pretty awesome towns. After living in Omaha, which is just a bigger quad cities, except more crime, Des Moines, while not paradise, is pretty nice place to live.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, god, are you in Nebraska? Flat, Fundie, and hosed Up is what I hear. I blame the Tea Party assholes out in the echoing emptiness of southwestern Iowa on carryover. :(
Yeah, I'm from Des Moines myself, and moved back here a few years ago because it pretty much rocks for the laid back sort of lifestyle I prefer. Ames is really awesome for being a tiny little college town that dries up and blows away in the summers.

Yeah I moved here for a "Promotion" back in July 2013. Giving up the promotion to going back to switching boxcars, partially because the stress and bs of the job, partially because friends and family, and partially because Omaha is an awful, awful town.

The only redeeming quality here is that Five Guys exists, and even then, I can hit up Zombie burger for some good eats, or pretty much anything in the east village.

Plus the Thai food here is AWFUL.

Ninja: G/F's sister lives in Ames and we spend a ton of time there too. She lives on the north side of town, which has some pretty good eats and fun things to do. They are moving Wallaby's into that area as well. I know its not the best, but for bar grub, you can't beat it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How the hell do I break into the mining field? I'm applying to a bunch of mining jobs in Iowa, Nevada, Alaska, and Colorado but I have no experience.

Heavy equipment operator is about the best way..... If not, just say your safe and can learn new skills quickly.

Liquid Communism posted:

B-Bops puts Five Guys to shame. :colbert:

The one on East Euclid sells burgers on the weekend for a buck. When I worked the Hull Ave job, me and the helper would usually run up there and destroy our guts for 5 bucks.

Farmers Market is always the best place to score asparagus. Ugh, June 3rd can't get here quick enough.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm moving there in a few weeks so I'm interested in hearing more specific negatives.

Its red state hell, I had no less than 3 break ins vehicles and home. (And I live in a decent area). The people are kind of ghetto.... its just kind of a run down blue collar town.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
There was some grumbling just recently on Jaloplink:Truck Yeah! for the new Super duties having a gross combined vehicle weight of 40k lbs or something silly high like that.

A giant majority of people who do buy those trucks will never push that level, but gently caress me. Here, drive this 20 ton truck down the road with little regard to trailer brakes and so on.

I have watched so many idiots tow a trailer WAY faster than necessary only to find them in a ditch down the road. When I tow, if I cant lock the brakes up on an empty trailer with the trailer brakes, I am not taking it.

Edit:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-series-super-duty-has-top-torque-hp-and-t-1537714126

Sorry it was the F450.
F350: 35,000 GCVW

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 2, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Just because it's legal to drive that under 26k on a class C license doesn't mean you don't need a B to drive it at 26k and above and an A if the trailer makes up 10k or more of that weight.

I couldn't remember the weight limits off the top of my head, but I have kept my Class B with air since I turned 20. I don't technically need it to drive grain trucks, but its nice to have.

Most of the people pushing those limits will most likely be properly licensed anyways. But the one idiot....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Well I guess it's good that someone is willing to do that poo poo.

Not all people want to climb the corporate ladder.

Some of us just want to go to work, put in our 8 hours, make a good living wage, and go home and pursue other passions in life.

I was originally wanting to climb the ladder. But after dealing with the stress, anxiety, and other stupid poo poo.... Id just much rather be a cog in the wheel.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What the gently caress is going on here? I sleep for like 10 hours come back, and its the drat twilight zone. Viggen has a date, Meatpimp is called an alright guy.

What day is it? Where am I? Is this bizzaro world?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

West SAAB Story posted:

i love saturns

e: and furries

First one is not true. Second.. yeah thats true.

Ok things are normal, carry on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

I need an adult!

I too need an adult!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm getting married and buying a house and an E46. Things are happening, and it's weird.

Do you feel funny in your stomach or in your pants? That narrows things down.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I'm sensing a pattern in some of my bad dates.

You are not dating the right kind of drunks.

Problem solved.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Beater=\= Any VAG product.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Let alone a 2.slow. There's just no redeeming characteristics.

That said, I'm not discouraging my mom from selling her A3 and getting a new Fender Beetle. :shrug:

I know the newer poo poo is better. And.... I'm going to catch poo poo for saying this...

But seriously gently caress VAGs products from mid 90s till... just recently. Its nothing but jokes of engineering and this is coming from a guy who owns Rovers and GM vehicles.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I think the key with VW, as with other German cars, is constantly keeping on top of maintenance. If you get behind, they will destroy you.

Well, I think its just the general maintenance items seem to always require "drop the bumper" or "remove engine" for the most things that don't require engine removal on other brands.

It always seems like when VW parts bins poo poo, they just really have a bad time at parts binning things. BMW/Mercedes are pretty good about keeping poo poo pretty similar between the models (not always).

Devyl posted:

Sounds like it's time to find a new focal point in life. Try a new hobby; or if it's an option, move to a new place and start over.

I sort of tried this, it ended up cropping up a poo poo load of other issues and so on. Thank god I am getting the gently caress out of here.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I just don't know if I should go with HD Rheems, or something else...

They are all about the same any more.... Kind of like batteries.

Are you running gas or electric? If its electric, there is a plastic tank water heater that I would be really interested in trying out.

Also, do you have a water softener? My old house had one, the water heater was pushing close to 20+ years old and never had any issues.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thank god for early morning velocity. Fell asleep at 2330... up at 0245.... and been up since.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I used to fight it and try to make myself go to sleep... now? I get up and try to find some kind of calming activity... read a book, other things.... If I fall back asleep, great! If not? I at least accomplished something.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

N is for Nipples posted:

AI's sleep schedule is synced and if we were women I'm 102% sure our cycles would be too.

It would either be all synced together, or just be a chronic blood bath. There would be no in between

The Midniter posted:

For some reason the only girls I find myself attracted to are super artsy, intellectual, whose ideal vacation is to sip fuckin espresso at an art gallery in Prague, while I just want to watch playoff basketball, hit the gym, and get drunk.

And I wonder why I'm 31 and single.
I just like girls with large boobs. sooo... uhhh :hfive:

Though this one seems to not care what I do, drinks beer, is encouraging me to buy a snowmobile and a boat, and other AI related nonsense.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

Why would you ever want to be with someone who doesn't support you, though? It just blows my mind when I meet car guys who just bitch about their girlfriends/wives making GBS threads on their hobbies.

If they are neglecting their wives/gfs by spending inordinate amount of time in the garage is one thing.

But if they are spending time with them doing dad/husband/bf stuff and also dicking off in the garage for a couple of hours during the weekend, there is no harm in it. And some just get jealous (unsure why you would get jealous over an inanimate object). Much better a guy loving off in the garage for a couple of hours and not spending it all on blow or hookers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Good lord, leave town for a few days with no internet, and AI went completely EN.

The barge of a suburban managed to squeak out 17.5 MPGs for the entire trip (considering its a 6.0) doing 75 the entire time. Not bad for a big brick.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know superchargers always kind of run "engine specific" side. Yes, they make add on ones, but they never seem to do as well as an engine specific one.

That being said, aren't superchargers geared towards bigger motors and turbos reserved for smaller motors? I don't know much about forced induction, but I rarely see many small supercharged motors.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's exactly what I was thinking about the power robbing part of it.

With that being said, I know Mini uses supercharged motors with moderate success on motors smaller than 2.0L. Toyota did one as well on the MR2 but it didnt seem like there was HUGE power gains associated with it. Oh and they used it in that weird mid engine van too, again, no huge gains, but there were gains.

They seem to really work best on V8 and V6s.

Edit: I forgot they used them in the Saturn IRL (you know, because TT :v:)

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 10, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

They've gone out of fashion now because of the dual proliferation of engine management that doesn't suck balls and variable geometry turbos, which almost eliminate turbo lag and having to size a turbo as a compromise between power and driveability.

I kinda figured that Toyota did something to keep the car fun to drive. Back when Toyota made cars... instead of you know, appliances.

Jaguar/Land Rover still seem pretty stuck on the Supercharger thing, and the new 5.0 makes silly power for its size. Pretty much every one else is using turbos now. I can't think of any other manufacturer that is doing supercharged power.

Well, isn't VW still using a supercharger on its hybrid model? I feel like no matter how cool it is, that things going to be a complete bitch to fix.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think Mercedes is done with blowers for now. Cadillac stopped using them as well... the Corvette ZR1 was the last blown gm model that I can think of.

Some one correct me though if I am off.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Galler posted:

CTS-V and Camaro ZL1 are still supercharged.

:doh: For some reason I kept thinking these died off when the new Vette came out.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Lamest tornado ever. Seriously... just a boring storm that was over hyped.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You know your in for an interesting day when your engineer introduced himself as swamp donkey.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No, it sounds like some one can't take a joke. Men and women both!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Doesnt matter what you stick your dick in, its going to be a pain in the rear end.

This. Can we have this be the new E/N slogan?

Edit: this is 100% correct.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

I've been bored while running so I've been thinking of a Lexus SC300/400 with a manual swap and either a 1UZ or a 1JZ w/ a turbo.

Oh, daydreaming. :allears:

I think the bigger problem is the manual transmission.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Dangit I want 928 comfort with TDI mpg.

How reliable is this beast? I mean, its a 20+ year old car so there will always be annoying bullshit. But Motronic DD's his 944, and there are some of us that DD Rovers, so it cant be that awful.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

Certainly sounds like southern Iowa and northern Missouri.

Des Moines and Iowa City are pretty nice places to live. But yes the rest does blow.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Devyl posted:

Everybody loves taking money. No one likes paying it back.

:argh:

Are you referring to our friends at the social security administration?

Still waiting on my money they took from my tax return for something about my dads ssi from over 30 years ago.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Toilet paper on goes over and not under. When it is under is guaranteed waste... always using more than you need.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

what about paper towels?

Or shop towls.

Organize the spice by the cap color, or alphabetically?

Shop towels live in the bag I purchased them in.

Paper towels go on a vertical holder

5 spices are only needed in life. Salt, pepper, lawrys season salt, crushed red pepper and some kind of garlic. No particular order.

Savages. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Anyone who doesn't use dill and paprika is literally hitler.

Love dill pickles.... but I just don't have much use for dill. Maybe I'm just not using it/making the right dishes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Also.. I have a shitload of spices. When we moved... holy crap. I think we have one of those medium sized totes that's just spices.

The best part of moving back home? The spice shop in town. They do tons of specialty poo poo, plus the oil selection is bad rear end.

Oh and the whiskeys. I'm not a huge whiskey man, but god drat, there's some delicious poo poo for just pouring on the rocks and sitting on the porch and sip on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I can't believe I quit my job. Jesus Christ. I loved this job, but there's just nothing else going for me in Grand Forks.

Jobs aren't everything. When I told my job I wanted to return to the ranks they told me to get lost and never think of a promotion for the company.

So I'm happily back in Iowa running trains and acting like an idiot.

• Locked thread