Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There was some grumbling just recently on Jaloplink:Truck Yeah! for the new Super duties having a gross combined vehicle weight of 40k lbs or something silly high like that.

A giant majority of people who do buy those trucks will never push that level, but gently caress me. Here, drive this 20 ton truck down the road with little regard to trailer brakes and so on.

I have watched so many idiots tow a trailer WAY faster than necessary only to find them in a ditch down the road. When I tow, if I cant lock the brakes up on an empty trailer with the trailer brakes, I am not taking it.

Edit:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-series-super-duty-has-top-torque-hp-and-t-1537714126

Sorry it was the F450.
F350: 35,000 GCVW

Just because it's legal to drive that under 26k on a class C license doesn't mean you don't need a B to drive it at 26k and above and an A if the trailer makes up 10k or more of that weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mafoose posted:

Do you have any beaters?

He drives Saabs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I hate you for making me do that.

:nms: :NSFW: :NSFL: Source of West SAAB Story's current avatar (you've been warned, provided only for morbid curiosity purposes): http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5834926/

meatpimp taking one for the team. Good job.

kastein posted:

(Yes I am still debating not paying the electric bill till next month so I can dream about buying another dumb engine for another of my dumb trucks. yes I know this is hypocritical. No I don't care :v:)

Bad Ken. BAD, No!

CharlesM posted:

Can I write "For Deposit Only" and deposit a check without a signature?

No. Things like "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" and "FOR ELECTRONIC DEPOSIT ONLY" are simply limiters on how a valid check can be validly deposited. To make a valid check valid for deposit it needs a signature or stamp as required by the type of payee.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those are all valid points.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

E: You editing gently caress. muslim, not jew. Theres a difference!

Lilly white agoraphobics can't tell the difference. Especially the ones with brain damage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, I think its just the general maintenance items seem to always require "drop the bumper" or "remove engine" for the most things that don't require engine removal on other brands.

Don't forget service position.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Service position is getting bent over and pounded by the dealers service manager.

I knew you would remember the first time we met.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm looking for an online checking option that is not a BIG BANK. I want to start keeping all my Amazon and Ebay funds in one account and be prepared for another compromised card like the Target hack a few months ago. Any suggestions?

Go find a local bank. Seriously, many of them are awesome and the good ones use one of 2 or 3 big backend online providers so you can access your account with quickbooks/quicken/mint/whatever. A local bank is more likely to work with you on things like loans, etc especially when you've been a customer for a while.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holdbrooks posted:

If this was a manual I would be getting on a plane soon.

You probably don't want a manual for towing duty. The d-max/alison combo is really really drat nice.

At least as of a few years ago, manufactures were DOWNRATING towing capacity and sometimes HP/TQ on manuals compared to the same truck in auto. This may or may not still be going on, but really......an LLY or newer d-max/alison is a great towing vehicle. I just wish I liked Chevy interiors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Have you guys ever shipped anything Greyhound? Apparently they carry packages as well as people; $70 to get a bumper cover here. I'm not sure if they bring it up in the cabin or slide it down in the baggage compartment or what. Kind of worried about the thing getting banged up.

Just adding to the "yep". I had several body panels shipped that way. It's super cheap compared to other methods for bulky stuff if you go terminal to terminal (the shipper drops it off at a bus station and you pick it up at one). And yep, all of my poo poo has come out of the bottom compartments of the bus.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

T1g4h posted:

So either my new radiator is ridiculously efficient or my car is wigging out.

Or you have a bad thermostat, which is the most likely explanation by far if it's running too cold. Determining that won't happen with the gauge in the dash, you'll need to pull OBD2 PIDs or directly measure coolant temps some other way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

34mpg is not worth it for a hybrid. A 2010 Honda Fit gets 33 and can be had for an average of $5k cheaper. A 2007 Accord gets 31 and is half the price of the Camry. A 2010 Yaris is less even than the Accord and gets drat near 40 highway (though, cargo space and all that).

Not to mention the completely disconnected feel of absolutely every driver control in a Prius. Especially the brakes.

And they're uncomfortable.

And you'll die in a fiery crash because you fell asleep while driving due to sheer boredom.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

We don't seem to have a camper megathread... Is there interest in campers? Pretty AI imho.

That's a good point. And yes, I'm interested and I have one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Speaking of Metro, any happy Windows phone users around? I'm kind of fed up with Android and don't really want to go back to iOS.

Do you like not having any apps? Because then Windows Phone 8 is for you.

It works fine. I prefer IOS or Android. I will say the Nokia Lumia I have is really, really nice though (the hardware). But not nice enough for me to use as a primary phone/make up for WP8.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big app user.

In that case, it does everything you would expect a smart phone to do out of the box and integrates well into the Microsoft cloud ecosystem (as one would expect).

Unfortunately the platform simply isn't taking off as expected. Nokia/Microsoft are paying companies to port their apps in an attempt to get a critical mass in the app store (including my company).

Then Nokia did something really odd in December or so with the super secret "Normandy" project pre releases (it's basically just a Nokia build of Android): they gave it a Metro-like UI. So, uh......I dunno, I guess WP8 is too fat to run on low end hardware they have planned or something. Otherwise it makes no sense to "clone" WP8.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Even if it doesn't exist, couldn't you coat it yourself? Would probably be a huge PITA but worth it in the end.

They make it, and it's not that much more expensive. It's one of those things where there's really no excuse that it's not more common. I actually have had trouble finding it locally when I needed it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Anyone know how to deal with egg stealing crows? Ive got a couple that are stealing my chicken eggs every morning and have started to pinch the wiper blades off the cars. They've worked out that anything long and straight is bad juju after I blew up a few of their mates with rifles/shotguns so now they just fly behind things to valuable to shoot whenever they see you (Cars, water tanks, the house...) so Im kinda out of ideas that dont involve nasty poisons.

I'm guessing you don't have any birds of prey, otherwise the crows wouldn't be hanging around and your coop/run wouldn't be vulnerable to them getting in. I've got a pair of hawks that started hunting my area a couple years ago - if you leave chickens out for too long they have a tendency to disappear. There were a few chicken massacres in the area, and then everyone started putting tops on their chicken runs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Defrost is supposed to do this by itself.

Yet it doesn't on plenty of things with discreet AC buttons. Things like the dumbed down Ford 3-wheel climate control will do it automatically, but plenty of stuff with other types of manual climate control will not. If you can set a temperature on a digital display or LCD then you don't need to worry about this (as far as I know).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Well, yeah. But when I say AC, I mean cold air. Not warm air.

The hot/cold position of the blend door is nearly meaningless to it's effect on defogging a window when the A/C is running due to it's dehumidifying.

This is why you want A/C in your car even when (or especially when) you live in a cold environment. And a heated windscreen if available.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Zero, happily married to a self-identified feminist.

You're trying really, really hard now. It's best to just drop it. But keep digging that hole anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Galler posted:

That page is going to give Motronic a loving aneurysm.

HOLY loving poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Since it's starting to get nice outside, what do you guys like to listen to when you're driving?

The Weissach symphony orchestra.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasn't that the 924? Or were they both built there?

Close enough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrChips posted:

Both the 924 and 944 were built in Neckarsulm, though Porsche moved 968 production to Zuffenhausen, presumably because they were broke as gently caress at the time (and farmed out convertible construction to Karmann in Osnabruck). :spergin:

Good spergin. I approve and i learned something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dude......calibrate that thing and then you know what you need to do. Don't gently caress with that. Holy hell.

some texas redneck posted:

Just heard back from the vet. None of it was good news.

His kidneys are in the process of checking out, and his liver isn't far behind. He's coming home with IV fluids, in hopes of getting him through the weekend to see our normal vet, but cautioned he may not make it.

:smith:

Had a cat like that. He was loving useless. Willy. I'll always miss him.

Sorry to hear that, but you know it happens. It's sad, but you have to do the humane thing when it comes to that.

• Locked thread