Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Great OP as usual, thanks dunc. The old thread was getting pretty outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

turntabler posted:

Most people here probably know already but K-1 has a pretty considerable fight library on youtube, and Glory has some stuff up there as well.

K-1's Channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOCxuUfoSTzKvl_Nl67vkuA

And Glory's is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKj5FIgxeihLRLDpVqKp_aA

There's a lot of available there ranging from high end championship level to fun dumb fights if you're looking to get into kickboxing a little bit more. If you can't find it on one of the official channels there's a good chance it could be up on youtube anyway.

If you're looking to check something out Buakaw's 2004 GP run is one of my favourites as online at least he was largely considered the token Thai boxer in the tournament who was smaller and wouldn't adapt well to the kickboxing style of K-1 while everyone was having flame wars over Zambo/JWP/Masato/Kraus. The use of the teep in the final match :allears:

The absolute best part of Buakaw's 2004 GP run was the judges scoring Masato/Buakaw a draw so it would go to an extra round where Masato could maybe make something happen, so Buakaw proceeds to whip Masato even worse and then bend him over through the ropes directly in front of the judges and glare down at them like he was daring them to do it again

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dr. Miracle posted:

I'm a total kickboxing noob, why would a Thai-style kickboxer struggle in K1? Is it a rules thing?

The scoring is different, the clinching is much more limited, there's no elbows, and the judges are racists

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jack Slack did a pretty good writeup of the tourney entrants for the upcoming Glory ppv -

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-glorys-last-man-standing-preview

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Just got in and turned this on, how is it

Bloody, thus far

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hey so if anybody remembers that story about Shemsi Beqiri having to pull out of a fight for Glory earlier this year because of being beaten in his gym by masked men with baseball bats, the story is a bit more complicated

the masked men were with his former trainer, they stormed his gym and held a class hostage, including holding his brother at gunpoint, to force Beqiri to fight his former trainer, and when Beqiri started to win everybody jumped on him, and weirdly enough there's a video of it thanks to Swiss news

http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/Das-erste-Video-des-KickboxKampfes/story/28956140 starts at 7:30, is more mma than kickboxing, and is generally really loving weird to watch

what the entire gently caress

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Guess who's getting their poo poo together? That's right, it's not Glory, who postponed Glory 19 until some point next year.

K-1 signed a broadcast deal with a bunch of Chinese networks. They previously did like 80 million viewers on Hunan TV, and now they've got their next 3 events planned out.

January 1st is China vs USA
February 1st is China vs Japan
March 28th is China vs Thailand

Three names so far for team USA are Kevin Ross, Tiffany van Soest (although Lion Fight are apparently not happy about those two) and Andrew Tate, who you might remember fighting Sahak Parparyan in It's Showtime years ago.

Interestingly, Gabriel Varga is going to be fighting a Korean on the card even though he's under contract with Glory, they've apparently OK'd it.

They also signed Yod.

Didn't Kevin Ross just get hosed over by Shootboxing or something?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Guess who's getting their poo poo together? That's right, it's not Glory, who postponed Glory 19 until some point next year.

quote:

Glory 19 will take place this February 6 from the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, Virginia.

The main event is set to feature heavyweight champion Rico Verhoeven against Errol Zimmerman, while the semifinals and finals in the welterweight tournament to determine the top contender will also take place.

In one semifinal, Nieky Holzken meets Murthel Groenhart, while the other pits Raymond Daniels against Jonatan Oliveira.

The card will air live on Spike TV.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

bouzidi kinda sucks. i mean pat is no world beater himself but it's a winnable fight.

btw rico verhoeven got his rear end kicked by some guy i've never heard of before in china, on the same card murthel groenhart got hosed up by sittichai and as a result got replaced in the welterweight tournament

I like how kickboxing has come from "Anybody can win at any time" because the eight best guys in the world are fighting each other in some permutation on every single show to "Anybody can win at any time" because what the gently caress, we have no idea

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

Bringing in Tyson gets them some press, good or bad. Not a dumb idea. Other than the whole oh god Tyson is talking for an extended period of time thing.

If you listen to Tyson talk about boxing, he's actually incredibly knowledgeable about both technique and the history of the sport and can analyze what's happening in bouts he's watching with an incredible degree of accuracy. Cus used to make him spend nearly all the spare time he had when he wasn't working out watching old tapes and explaining to him what he saw and didn't see the fighters doing.

I'm not sure how much this will extend to kickboxing, but Tyson as a fight commentator is likely to do a vastly better job than most people would expect.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Tyson did a lot of lovely things in his life but he also is completely and totally forthcoming both about all the lovely things he did and how lovely they were. It's hard not to feel at least a little sympathetic to someone who appears to be trying as best he can to live a better life, long after the point where most people would care.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

I was gonna try to go to the Glory show in February when I saw it was in Virginia. I assumed the town they listed would be in the greater DC area but it's in the rear end end south east of the state near Virginia Beach. That turns the trip from not so bad into gently caress it. Why is Glory running in weird markets like southern VA and Oklahoma and not sticking to LA, Chicago, NY, Denver and other big markets like they were doing before?

Because venues in big markets cost actual money

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Is Tyson too over the hill to get in shape and have some low level "punch only no wrestle" type freakshow fights? I'd love to see that.

Physically it's certainly possible. Mentally, there is no way. He's said many times that his last fights were purely to pay off his debts, he hates the idea of fighting again and hasn't trained seriously in nearly ten years. In addition to that he spent the last decade on loads of drugs (and not the kind that make you better at fighting) and although it's easy to forget because he comes across as pretty together now in his public appearances, he's still actively in rehab (and has relapsed many times) and therapy. Honestly the guy is very fragile (and as someone who grew up in the 80's it feels insanely weird to say that about Iron Mike) and a ring is the absolute last place he needs to be right now. Frankly just being around the kind of people that run Glory makes me a little nervous for the guy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

Rose for president, Pat Barry will make a cool first gentleman.

First Laddie

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Daniels appears to be in the early stages of a grand mal seizure and the match hasn't even started yet

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Setcurenko is throwing a lot of leg kicks with his guard up but it looks like zero power behind them. I'm not sure if he's too hurt to open up or just trying to conserve energy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

kickboxing is a gentleman's sport and might be too classy for American audiences.

what

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

i was kidding. Well, sort of. Glory has done a good job of presenting kickboxing as a sport rather than something that should come on after Cops or Tattoo Whores or video game awards or whatever junky TV they air on Spike all the time. Viacom probably wouldn't mess with Glory too much but I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it a little more towards pro wrestling & reality TV, like they did with Bellator.

Wrestling legend Bill Goldberg in talks for GLORY fight

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StephanBonnar posted:

Bas Boon just asked me to fight fot Glory. Three 3 min rounds no wrestling? Hmmmm...

I really hope the endpoint of this is someone talking Tito into a Glory match

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The slicing was almost an afterthought, that jumping elbow had him rubber-legged

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

here is a promotional photo of Catalin Morosanu enjoying a nice meal of cauliflower, pineapple, flour and ground turmeric, washed down with a nice goblet of flour and ground turmeric, in an unfinished basement with a sand floor, on a throne surrounded by skulls. A candle is lit even though the lights are on.

lmao

also

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/yodsanklai-fairtex-and-giorgio-petrosyan-reportedly-agree-to-kickboxing-match-in-china

I wonder if there'll actually be a way to watch this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
ESPN3 isn't a channel at all and streams from ESPN's website. I THINK it's available in any country where ESPN is, but I don't actually know.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/

Try it now, I guess?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

It asked me to sign in with my TV provider.

In that case, unless there's a provision for Sky or whatever, UK folks may need to gently caress around with VPNs.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Apparently they're ISKA judges but come the gently caress on, you're in Holland and you can't find someone who knows poo poo about kickboxing?

Well apparently the police can't

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

2. RIP Prince and the old K-1 theme Endorphinmachine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWoKd50Vc8k&hd=1

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It works well enough defensively and doesn't take away your kicking base and range as much as some kinds of head movement would.

Also, you're still in position to check a leg kick when you're doing it, which isn't the case with most types of defensively responsible head movement.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

is it hard to do that stuff? it looks hard but they dont look like hard people.

This might be the best description of performance karate I've ever read

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM&hd=1

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/an-interview-with-idris-elbas-kickboxing-coach

Short version -
  • He's going to have a couple amateur fights first and his coach will gauge from there
  • Because he travels a lot for acting work he's trained at a lot of places, including with Masato
  • He's probably going to be fighting someone from Mike's Gym

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/jordanbreen/status/777777208874176512

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Upcoming fight stuff:

1. Idris Elba fights on the 28th, apparently it's going to be streamed on a local Discovery channel facebook page?

So apparently this happened on "Road To Glory Fight Night" at York Hall, and wasn't advertised beforehand except as a "special guest fighter" - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/road-to-glory-fight-night-featuring-a-special-guest-fighter-york-hall-tickets-28735982096

There don't appear to be any posted results, but people are saying he won, and there's some video on... Madonna's Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMIKfd7hjMa/

He looks okay for a guy making his pro debut.