Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Nckdictator posted:

Asatru vs. KKK

Should have crashed the Wotanist party, they could have chilled together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Buggiezor posted:

My grandma who just started using facebook a month ago just shared this from some other random page. It's one I've read before several places including a "Forward this email to 20 friends"

A teacher I had once gave this same basic lecture, only it was about handling work duties so there wasn't any beer involved. She also used large rocks instead of golf balls.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FrozenVent posted:

Well maybe if you were in that particular phase of puberty...

Why the gently caress are seniors presenting to first graders anyway? Do first graders even understand the concept of "high school"? There's a 10 year age gap, how is that dialogue relevant in any way?

My schools had a "buddy" program where sophomores were paired with kindergarteners. The sophomores would come to the kindergarten class every once in a while (I want to say once a month, but I can't remember) and spend time with their kindergarten buddy. I think it was so the teenagers could learn empathy, and young children certainly enjoy it when a "grown-up" pays attention to them. It is plausible that this young man was presenting as part of his own school's "buddy" program.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Missing Name posted:

Did that John Galt story ever make it through the filter?

I don't need to look to know that it didn't make it. It was taken from one of the most famous novels of the 20th century. It has the phrase "Who is John Galt?" in it, used in the way that the characters in the novel use it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Non Serviam posted:

Wait, so in your eyes suggesting that a Japanese kid was doing martial arts is racist?
He's not saying he's building a loving railroad.

Yes, it was important to specify that the kid was Japanese, rather than, say, German or Filipino or Kenyan. Otherwise the story would have made NO SENSE.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

By that logic, shouldn't the thug's mom kill the OP for hurting her baby?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

phosdex posted:

I always find it humorous the way young redditors perceive "older" people. If you're older than 30, then you basically grew up in like the 1600's, can't figure out technology and treat women like poo poo. If that guy were 60, he would have grown up right in the '60s during the counter-culture revolution.

I dunno, a lot of people in the counter-culture were pretty sexist: lots of second-wave feminist organizations were founded by women who split off from New Left groups that wouldn't give them a platform, and there was this whole idea that being sexually liberated meant being willing to have sex with anyone who requested it (if you wouldn't, then you must have been a "prude" or had "hang-ups" about sex). It doesn't prove the story happened, but I can easily see a man in his 60s believing that groping is a perfectly harmless - even friendly! - practice.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

How do you confuse clear liquor with water? If s/he drank enough to get drunk, she should have recognized the smell, if not the taste, of alchohol.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Not once during that story did sombody try to stand up to the guy, or burst in applause, people don't get married or start singing Bohemian Rhapsody.

And we never find out what the guy was showing his date on the phone that made her "physically sick." A lesser writer wouldn't be able to resist having the narrator discover what it was, but leaving that detail out makes the story more realistic while leaving a bit of mystery - we're left to imagine just what was on the phone, and whatever we imagine would be much grosser than the real thing.

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jun 21, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Minarchist posted:

Probably wedding rings, or his favorite pony fanart.

I figured some kind of hentai and/or fanservicey art.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dis posted:

...in which they don't even star. I guess that's to make it seem more authentic?

The Cool Boss - the kind who backs up the protagonist in the face of nasty customers - is kind of a stock supporting character in STDH. Managers will generally side with customers over staff even when the customer is in the wrong, so a boss who does the opposite is a beloved fantasy among retail workers. In that particular story, the narrator simply promotes (ha) his Cool Boss character from supporting cast to main character.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Khazar-khum posted:

Thing is, stores do cut off customers. My idiot stepmother would buy the same thing in several sizes instead of trying it on at the store, then bring the ones that didn't fit back. It got so bad some stores refused her business.

I said that managers generally side with customers, not always. Companies will often go a long way to keep customers satisfied, but when it gets to the point that pleasing a customer is more trouble than it's worth (e.g. your stepmom's returns bullshit), then of course the company will cut them off. The trouble for most retail workers is that their employer's policies almost always favor the customers over them, so it takes some really bad behavior to cross that line.

Here, to make my :spergin: up to you, have the current most popular story on Not Always Working:

Not Always Working posted:

The Icing On The Cake Is The Icing On The Cake
Bakery | Vancouver, BC, Canada | Employees, Food & Drink, Language & Words

(My mom is at the bakery buying a cake for a special occasion.)

Employee: “Here’s your cake. Would you like anything written on it?”

Mom: “Well, yes, but I was wondering if I can do it myself?”

Employee: “Oh, no, that’s quite all right. I can do it myself.”

Mom: “No, this is something only I can write. I don’t think you can do it.”

Employee: “Rest assured, ma’am, I am very confident in my ability to write with icing. I’ve worked here for over 15 years, and I’ve gotten quite good at it.”

Mom: “Look, I’m pretty sure you’re really good at it, but please humour me just this once. If you can just give me a piping bag and some icing, I’ll do it myself and be on my way.”

Employee: “Okay, ma’am, but only on the condition that you pay for the cake even if the writing doesn’t turn out to your liking.”

Mom: “Fine by me.”

(The employee hands a piping bag full of chocolate icing to my mom. She takes the piping bag, and starts masterfully writing on a 10-inch cake, in KOREAN. She writes small enough to put at least three sentences on such a small space. The employee just looks at this spectacle, dumbfounded.)

Employee: “Okay. You’re right, and I’m wrong. That’ll teach me for doubting a customer.”

That'll teach me for doubting a customer. :wtc:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The weirdest claim that Katie Vyktoriah made is that she loves her little son so much that she'll lick the boogers from his nose while he sleeps. I hope to God it's not true.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh man, this is "Don't throw rice at weddings! The grains puff up in birds' stomachs and make them explode!" all over again.

I have noticed pigeons pecking at discarded cigarette butts, and I imagine that's super-bad for them. If you have to pick one thing not to throw on the ground, I suggest you make it cigarette butts.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Seventh Arrow posted:

I like the way they have the open-mouthed bird behind him, as if screaming in distraught anguish. "Nooooooooooo!" or maybe "STELLAAAAAAAAAA"

It actually comes from a series of photos depicting a mated pair of swallows that circulated a few years ago. Allegedly, the female was hit by a car and the male stayed with her and mourned as she died.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Speaking of Queen songs, I was at a bar last night and a bunch of people sang "Bohemian Rhapsody. . ."

. . . It was a karaoke bar.

But I swear, that song is following me!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
People giving you money for being fat and proud of it?

This Is Fat Privilege

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gaunab posted:

What kind of hellhole school would make kids read atlas shrugged?

The kind with parents who were able to bully the school board into putting the book on the curriculum. Also, the Ayn Rand Institute has annual essay contests where high-schoolers can win scholarships, so you may as well teach something that will get your students a chance at money for college.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Khazar-khum posted:

Reader: "You do realize that by exaggerating (or even making up) negative interactions with PoCs, YOU are in fact being the racist?"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bringmyfishback posted:

...what.

Yes, I won't let someone return a pair of jeans with period blood caked in the crotch because the person in question is a different ethnicity than me. Please.

I'm not saying that no one is ever racist, but in most cases, it's someone looking for a discount or a bent rule.

Scoff all you want, but lots of PoCs experience problems when they're "shopping while black." Usually SWB involves retail workers or security guards carefully watching PoCs in the store to make sure they don't steal anything, but it can take lots of other forms. As the name implies, it's often - but not always - black or African-American patrons facing this kind of discrimination. In one study of black people living in black neighborhoods in New York and Philadelphia, 35% of respondents reported that it happens to them "consistently" when they shop at white-owned businesses. If retail workers "consistently" mistreated you, do you think you would necessarily assume that one saying "No, we can't accept that return" is on the up-and-up?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This story comes to you from Disboards.com, where you can discuss Disney World vacations in obsessive detail.

Funniest Memory On A Ride posted:

One time, my friend on I were on Expedition Everest [a Himalaya- and Yeti-themed roller coaster] and there was a LARGE group of girls in front of us. They were SO excited to go on the "nice, calm, relaxing train ride." I don't know what made them think it was just a train ride in the mountains. Anyways, they were enjoying the ride at the beginning where it's kind of relaxing. Then when we went up the big lift to the mountain, you could tell they were starting to get nervous. When we reached the broken tracks, that's where the fun started to begin. THEY. WERE. SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER!!!! They just got even louder when we went backwards!!! And they were like that for the rest of the ride!!!! When we were about to go back in the mountain where the yeti is, one girl yelled "IS IT OVER?!?!? IS IT OVER?!?!?!?!" Then when they saw the yeti, that was the loudest scream of all....... Me and my friend were cracking and laughing so hard the entire ride! It was definitely the funniest ride memory for me!

Yes, this group failed to hear screams coming from the ride, failed to read the posted sign warning that Expedition Everest is a "high-speed, roller coaster-type train ride . . . that includes sharp turns and sudden drops, traveling both forwards and backwards through dark, winding tunnels," and failed to connect the dots when they had to submit to seat restraints. Indeed, "I don't know what made them think it was just a train ride in the mountains."

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jul 10, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Justified, this is a planned event and not spontaneous singing

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MinistryofLard posted:

You can't just ASSUME someone is pregnant!

Good advice, unless the baby's crowning

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

"Why the gently caress do these god drat parents bring their kids who can't stay quiet for more than two minutes to a movie and ruin everyone else's time?"

Because babysitters are often too expensive for poorer people. I'm childless myself, but I don't begrudge parents their night out.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This is an English translation of a Hebrew script presented by Israel's Channel One News as a transcript of a conversation between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu:

Channel One posted:

Barack Obama: I demand that Israel agrees to an immediate, unilateral ceasefire and halt all offensive activities, in particular airstrikes.

Benjamin Netanyahu: And what will Israel receive in exchange for a ceasefire?

BO: I believe that Hamas will cease its rocket fire - silence will be met with silence.

BN: Hamas broke all five previous ceasefires. It's a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of Israel.

BO: I repeat and expect Israel to stop all its military activities unilaterally. The pictures of destruction in Gaza distance the world from Israel's position.

BN: Kerry's proposal was completely unrealistic and gives Hamas military and diplomatic advantages.

BO: Within a week of the end of Israel's military activities, Qatar and Turkey will begin negotiations with Hamas based on the 2012 understandings, including Israel's commitment to removing the siege and restrictions on Gaza.

BN: Qatar and Turkey are the biggest supporters of Hamas. It's impossible to rely on them to be fair mediators.

BO: I trust Qatar and Turkey. Israel is not in the position that it can choose its mediators.

BN: I protest because Hamas can continue to launch rockets and use tunnels for terror attacks -

BO: (interrupting Netanyahu) The ball's in Israel's court, and it must end all its military activities.

Both countries' governments are claiming that the transcript is fake, but why should we let the truth ruin our enjoyment of some good STDH?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Celery Face posted:

They hear stereotypes/watch stupid movies where it's made out to be a superpower that makes you the smartest person on the face of the earth but socially awkward. This includes regular people but turbo nerds are different in that they think the terrible things about being autistic, like having a lot of trouble making connections with people, are no big deal. About that story, I actually am on the spectrum and I don't talk like a robot or have met any other autistic people who do either. Whoever wrote that is just pretentious as hell.

Yeah, that's basically it. "I'm socially awkward, just like Mr. Spock and Data from Star Trek! That means I'm smart like them, too!" Plus, who even needs friends when you have a genius brain to depend on? (The answer is everybody, everyone needs to depend on others at least some of the time.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The author comes into school to find the principal has been fired for his unprofessional attitude towards student learning. The author's teacher makes him write out "Fandom is utilized by individuals who lack the capability to develop mature personalities" 25 times for homework.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

turnways posted:

For real though the actual, true ending is hilarious

The uncle is GAMES ITSELF, the whole thing's some kind of art-piece on how gaming is a terrible addiction and also can be overcome by destroying gaming forever, or something.

I thought the uncle is supposed to be gaming culture, with its emphasis on status and "exclusive access" and junk like that. You're able to save your friend from the uncle by showing that your love for them is stronger than the toxic culture they've become a part of.

EDIT: It all makes a lot more sense if you give your best friend a girl's name.

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 10:59 on Oct 18, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

One of those facebook linkbait sites, but still STDH:

http://www.tickld.com/x/christmaspartyin2014

Reads like one of those stupid loving right-wing "this is what's wrong with the leftist PC crowd" """"stories""""

It's at least 14 years old, too: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/humor/party.asp

At least they decide to throw the proper kind of office Christmas party at the end.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
He's such a great CEO that he doesn't see fit to brief his managers if the employees working under them have disabilities that need accommodating.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Probably my worst scars come from skinning my knees really badly. I walked briskly out of my local pizza parlor carrying a few boxes and talking to a friend, so I didn't notice the sign the parlor put in the alleyway until I'd already tripped over it. The outer layer of skin was actually ripped from my knees, with a chunk hanging from a strip of flesh on each side. :barf: When we got home, I scrubbed the wounds until they bled again, then I pressed the skin-chunks back on and bandaged everything up. The pizza was okay.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I call people sir and ma'am all the time, and I was raised in the North by academics with no military background. :confused:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

It's not a real haiku, it doesn't have a nature theme! :argh:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Khazar-khum posted:

Me: *now getting a little annoyed* “Ma’am, at this point I wouldn’t tell you even IF I DID know. Unfortunately we don’t carry any of that tea anymore. However, if you’ll follow me to the other aisle I can show you to some of your evening primrose oil which is supposed to work wonders with people who have anger management issues!”

Customer: Don't you dare condescend to me, I'm going to complain to corporate about your rudeness. And I'm certainly not shopping here again.

*drops the mic, leaves*

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Should she really be discussing patient treatment with random people? Even if she leaves the names out, it still seems super-sketchy. Why couldn't she just say "I'm sorry, I couldn't get out of work until [X] o'clock?"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Butt Detective posted:

While you're at it, make sure all women's trousers get decent pockets too. :( I don't know why these people seem to think we don't need pockets.

We can't be trusted not to put bulky poo poo in our pockets and spoil the line of our clothes! :byodame:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Butt Detective posted:

"Real-life" Oliver Queen

Don't aim for the leg dummy, there's a lot of important blood vessels in there! Actually the safest place to get shot is in the butt-cheek because there's nothing really important in there. Now you know what to say when a bad guy is threatening you with a gun and asking you "Where do you want it?" Why, that happened to me just last Tuesday! :smug:

E: of course I took him out with my Krav Maga skills; he never had a chance to shoot me. Everybody clapped and I married the arresting officer.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Das Boo posted:

I remember… that time I almost showed a boy what a psycho bitch really was.

"One of our students is showing severe mood swings and got physically violent with another student! Should we tell her parents?"

"Nah."

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Das Boo posted:

I like the idea of the actor waddling over to a concession stand, demanding a wet towel in a muffled, in-character voice, then waddling back over to this kid while clutching the wet towel in his thickly padded, gloved hands before clumsily stooping over him with his gigantic bobble of a head, dropping the towel on the kid's face and holding it in place with his massive glove.

Instead of, you know, alerting EMTs.

Except Mickey doesn't talk in the parks (except during stage shows, parades, and in a couple of indoor locations), so he had to get the towel and bring it to the kid without speaking a word. :allears:

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yes, we have to throw away a customer's Bible if she lends it to an employee, that's definitely a store policy that really exists in the real world

• Locked thread