Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

marshmallow creep posted:

Weapon II should have been an aye-aye.

If Weapon I was a super-soldier then Weapon II should've been a super-sailor, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
On Star Trek, if translators are used to communicate with alien species, why does their lip sync match up with dialogue?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Yeah, furries have been a thing at least since Disney's Robin Hood in the 70s.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Professor Hulk wears glasses to disguise the fact that he is secretly The Hulk.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

flavor.flv posted:

When I was watching season 1 I thought for sure that the big twist was going to be that Luther was a werewolf and that's the real reason their lovely dad sent him to the moon, because it's the one place where he could never accidentally look up at the sky and see a full moon

The flashbacks where he looked normal were further proof for this theory, because obviously the constant exposure to moonlight had caused his werewolf and human forms to merge and stabilize, "curing" him of lycanthropy at the cost of never being able to fit through doors or take a shower without having to unclog the drain afterwards

I still like my idea better

I remember reading/watching something once that had the opposite idea but my googling is coming up short. An astronaut on a moon mission was secretly a werewolf and attempting to make physical contact with the moon to become a primeval chaos god werewolf. If I remember right he got kicked out the air lock and was doomed to drift through space for eternity in a cycle of exploding in the vacuum and reforming again. That was a cool story.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

muscles like this! posted:

I was watching John Wick on Netflix a couple weeks ago and for some reason they removed the movie's subtitles when characters were not speaking English.

I had Kill Bill vol 2 on last night and had the same thing happen. I was really just paying attention to the fight scenes anyway but the entire chapter where Pai Mei trains The Bride was in un-subed Cantonese.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'd throw the shovel straight up and catch it on my neck, paralyzing me instantly. Checkmate, mobsters :colbert:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Pilchenstein posted:

I guess it's a screenwriting rule or some poo poo but I am irrationally irritated that the guy who did it always has to be someone the audience saw earlier so they can go "holy poo poo, it's that guy who had twenty seconds of pointless screen time" or whatever. Who gives a gently caress, just have the villain be someone we don't know if you couldn't be arsed to write a whole role for them.

I was watching Elementary and in one episode they have a doctor walk into the victim's hospital room, deliver one line about how he hopes they catch the bastard, then walk back out not to be seen again until the end when he's been revealed as the attacker. It was like the writers forgot to introduce the character so they scribbled it on page two of the script as final drafts went out.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

credburn posted:

I've been watching The Sopranos lately, and this scene is playing and I find it extremely distracting

The focus is so soft that I'm convinced this is a death dream or hallucination

Every scene in this season is this way. Every background looks like a dreamy matte filter

Might be the void of pure light outside the windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Phanatic posted:

In the Netflix adaptation of Three-Body Problem, the show starts off present-day by telling us that particle colliders all across the world have started turning out results that completely contradict all known theory. And the response to this, globally, is "how disappointing, we might as well shut down all the particle accelerators. The scientists themselves are depressed and glum.

None of that makes any sense. All these colliders have been doing for decades is just saying over and over again in one way or another "Yep, the Standard Model is right. Good job, here's your Nobel." Having them *stop* doing that and actually show that there's *new physics* going on would be regarded as a hugely exciting development by the entire physics community. Every single one of them who looks at data from the LHC or ALBA or COSY or whatever wants to look at that data and see not confirmation of something we already know, but a signal that upends everything and gives us something unambigously beyond the standard model. In the show, they have that, and it's portrayed as grim and depressing.

I don't know, what exactly are they supposed to be using the accelerators for if the results are completely random? I think one of them says it themself that there's no point in using enough energy to power a small town if the output is meaningless. It's not like they were getting an unexpected result under certain conditions, something they could test over and over and try to suss out the cause. Every time they run any experiment they get wildly different results with no correlation to the initial conditions. The scientists know something huge and unprecedented has happened to change our observation of particle physics across the globe but they're blind to actually investigate it. I'd be depressed too, honestly.