Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Rogue One : why would the rebels say "may the force be with you"? They didn't start doing that until ROTJ.

Dr Strange never really earned his powers, the big revelation was forced on him. Tilda Swan could as well just have put her thumb on Tony Stark's forehead and we would have saved ourselves half the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Yes Strange had a montage of him studying, but Stark is able to study too. In fact we have a case of him becoming an expert on something literally over night in the movies. And obviously there's other smart characters. You might say that the life or death situation was some big defining moment but every sucker out there has a life and they probably want to not die just as bad as Strange but we have no idea why they don't all turn into wizards when in danger but he does :shrug:

Penpal posted:

That's why films should have all magical powers imbued within something, that way there's no question. You caught the magic softball? Now you have powers. You drank the magic gin and tonic? Powers. Caught the magic fish? Powers. Opened the magic book? Powers. Austin? Powers.

This but unironically.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Penpal posted:

Talking about Marvel movies though, Stark's physical therapy contraption for Rhodes was weak poo poo. He should have been wearing iron man pants at the very least, not a modern day, real life Japanese exo-suit made by Honda to help factory workers lift things

I mean jeeze

Hey remember that time we printed an entire functional ubermensch body for the guy who paralyzed you with his mind beam? You're not getting that.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

They say it in literally every Star Wars film, including the original. :confused:

Are you sure? The way I remember it only Obi Wan and Vader said poo poo about the force in ANH. I'm having trouble imagining it what with Obi Wan's ghost telling Luke to disregard what the rebels are saying and to trust in the force instead.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure Dodonna or whatever his name is says "May the force be with you" as they are on their way to attack the Death Star.

Well poo poo, looks like I was wrong. That might explain why I've never seen my specific complaint anywhere.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Evolution was head and shoulders above the drivel of today. :colbert:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

I agree that was bullshit, but Sherlock Holmes stories are not "mystery" stories. They're super hero stories. Sherlock Holmes is basically Edwardian Batman and you're just supposed to be along for the ride admiring his brilliance not figuring it out yourself.

But they actually show Batman solving his cases. Even if it's just the bullet scene from TDK. I actually could tell what's supposed to be going on in it when I saw the movie but I won't defend it.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Maybe they should give it a shot before dying instead. Just saying. Maybe the shark isn't the rational one in this scenario.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Red Skull took his mask off but I don't think he put it on at the beginning of the movie??

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

The Bloop posted:

The first one didn't. Thor himself did, but it was still a fairly lighthearted movie.

The scene where they talk about how they can't find Thor, start driving and immediately hit him with the car was so funny it should have been in a much better movie.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Got around to watching Venom (2018) since everyone is so hyped about the sequel. So for the big fight at the end you have your bad guy about to get on a space shuttle that's about to lift off. One of the most vulnerable spots you can be. Like, one of the hardest places to not blow up by just doing a little bit of damage to. As a bonus your bad guy is quite flammable. You also know you can't beat him in a direct confrontation because he's much stronger than you. Why would you confront him before he gets inside the shuttle?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

I'm frankly amazed to learn that anyone unironically enjoyed the 1995 movie, other than the soundtrack, which slaps.

It works on a basic level that creates some satisfying moments and isn't made in a totally abysmal way. Now the 1997 movie on the other hand...

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

If we're counting properties that just also have had videogames made of them you could probably just say Lord of the Rings and be done with it

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Piell posted:

They literally just did the fight sequence from the RE5 video game, like shot for shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyYq-13p3Q

And it must be the first time that I have seen a movie adaption have worse graphics than the game.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
There is probably some lesson in all the people saying they enjoyed a video game movie where they didn't play the game it's based on.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

The highest rated videogame movie of all time is based on ubisofts game Werewolves which I nearly 100% assure you've never heard of because in the world of werewolves/mafia/vote the traitor out games the game Among Us obliterated the competition in a time when werewolves was already dead.

What's the movie? The Thing?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Biplane posted:

But how will people know what reactions to have if the protagonist doesn't literally spell it out for them

Give Link a sidekick, preferably an office worker from our real world who lands in hyrule after having a fight with his boss and stumbling through a portal. He could comment on how crazy all of this is making it easier for the audience, and they could cut to him grimacing after Link hits a monster in the groin area. Maybe have him comment on how this is all like one of those video games but he's never heard of Legend of Zelda.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
When Venom talks it's often internal and he's not speaking out loud but sometimes he's also moving his mouth while that is happening and I'm not sure if it was lovely dubbing in the version I saw or what's supposed to be going on

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Did I mishear that or did Venom in that scene say that his hive mind memory is measured in light years, a unit for measuring distances

Android Apocalypse posted:

I only recall Venom's mouth moving when he's in full outer symbiote mode. Otherwise he's supposed to be inner dialogue with Eddie.

There was definitely at least one moment during the fight at the end, I think after some rubble fell on him

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
They could have fixed it by mirroring the scene, it's that simple

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I thought Leia was fine except for the last few seconds of that shot where it looked off.

Tarkin didn't just not look real, but he was also framed differently from all the other characters around him so it drew even more attention to how weird he looked.

Lots of odd decisions in that movie.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I saw Tenet and it was irrational and irritating

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Breetai posted:

An iimm: clickbait reviews designed to promote our engagement by being stupid and contrarian.

Sorry Millennials, but Jurassic Park was never a good movie

Well does it say anything interesting or will I have to click on the clickbait?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
In Tribute they claim they sang the best song in the world to defeat the devil, however Beezleboss is not just not the best song in the world, it's hardly a song at all, they mostly just talk.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
At least we didn't get magic gun turrets during the attack on Kamar Taj. Dr Strange summoning a magic buzzsaw? What was that about? Is he a Green Lantern now?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Phanatic posted:

And magic cannon.

Wait poo poo you're right, they did the thing I thought would be too lazy even for them and I repressed the memory

I hope they can catch themselves after a couple of bad movies.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
In Repo! The Genetic Opera in the song Night Surgeon when John Repo's boss comes in and sings "Here's my prognosis, will they live?" the body guards continue by saying "doubtful". That's not his diagnosis, that's theirs. I don't think any of them are qualified to make a medical diagnosis either.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Having songs with lyrics in your movie will almost always be cringy but Umbrella Academy took it to a new level by playing a song called Run Boy Run while you're watching a boy run.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wait - was it Woodkid's Run Boy Run? poo poo, didn't even notice that and I love that song.

When did it play?

Beginning of the second episode, when the run boy runs away.

flavor.flv posted:

You can pry the soldiers sailing down a Vietnamese river in a swiftboat scene with Fortunate Son playing in the background out of my cold dead hands

Okay we can keep those.

CordlessPen posted:

The "Suicide Squad" (but not "The Suicide Squad") movie was also real bad about this IIRC.

I lost count after like 10 songs in just the first act where every character gets a music video introducing them

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Speaking of diegetic/non diegetic music that loving scene in Captain Marvel where the song starts playing and then she kicks a bad guy against a juke box, and you just know that they originally meant for that juke box to play a song after that, but they decided against it at some point but still left the song and juke box in the scene.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

credburn posted:

If I see one more movie use Sympathy For the Devil or Where Is My Mind god dammit those songs are no longer allowed

off the table

enough already

Can they still play Sweet Dreams so the audience knows the female lead has been abused

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's not like the end of The Italian Job where Michael Caine says "Hang on, I have an idea" but you never find out what it is.

Wow it sounds like that Italian Job is a really lovely movie

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Speaking of Encanto, my IIMM is when characters have to be nice or maybe even selfless to solve the problem that they created by being assholes in the first place but then they only act that way because otherwise it would be the end of their world or whatever.

Had a similar feeling in Everything Everywhere All At Once, wow what a hero you are managing to finally to pull the stick out of your rear end when all of existence is on the line.

BiggestOrangeTree has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Sep 17, 2022

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Starts off with a really dumb implementation of virtual reality where people with AR goggles walk around on a big empty field. It almost makes sense until you wonder what happens when you walk down stairs. It gets progressively dumber the longer the set piece goes on for as far as what things are real in which place and get to affect what other things in which way.

The not-Navi use weird non-lethal goop shooting guns exactly once and never again when it would have been really convenient. What pissed me off more though was that it is implied but not acknowledged they probably actually killed everyone but the main characters by suffocation.

Valerian flies his little ship into the red zone that nobody has ever returned from. When the girl comes to pick him up they reappear on the scanners after moving about 10 meters. Nobody thinks it is worth mentioning that they are the first people to return from the red zone. Also nobody seems to have noticed that there is an entire settlement right at the edge of the red zone with people going in and out of it no problem. (I know the red zone was a hoax but none of the characters involved in the scene do at this point, and the signal loss was real)

Valerian's suit is a super power armor with juggernaut powers. The girl is captured wearing the same kind of suit. Instead of beating everyone in her way to a pulp or just walking through the wall out of there she gets convinced to take it off by a non verbal alien showing her pretty dresses.

For some reason the only way to rescue the girl that comes to Valerian's mind is to convince a rare alien and he just happens to know where to find one right where he is in that moment.

A shapeshifter puts on an erotic show and the best the coward film makers could come up with is "human woman wearing different clothes".

Do people leaving the strip club not get their guns back? There is a lot of guns hanging on the ceiling but no sign of anyone else actually being there.

Valerian decides to use an old radio to contact his boss. It is mentioned multiple times that they can not verify his identity nor that of others using the old radio. He could have just as easily, if not more easily, gone outside and talked to the soldiers outside who were already in contact with the boss using modern equipment and could have easily verified his identity. of course this arguably ends up saving their lives but neither him, the soldiers, nor their boss know the robots are about to attack.

Why did the not-Navi even go outside and just stand in front of the soldiers?

It's fair to assume the big assault rifles the soldiers carry pack more of a punch than a small pistol. All the soldiers are helpless against the robots attacking them while Valerian takes them out with a single headshot from his sidearm. I guess none of them thought to aim at their heads.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I liked Sky Captain because I also liked the old game Crimson Skies. I get it's one of those inspired by old serials things, and my problem is that if there was more Sky Captain the episode with the robots would be one of the worse ones.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Every design in Star Wars except the plot, characters, motivations, sequence of events…

In the making-of videos you can see George Lucas come into a room with a lineup of designs the artists have come up with and pick out the ones he likes so they should be... Something that's in the movie. And that seemed to be about it for his input on the designs.

Maybe he should have taken the same approach with the writing. But what do I know, all the "just use any creative process that's different from what made the prequels" jokes ring hollow since the Disney movies.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What if the life support systems of TIEs are actually fine and it's the rebels who suck for not giving their pilots proper space protection gear

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Is he the critic who said Cabin in the Woods is about people inside a video game

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

credburn posted:

IIMM: The New Mutants - why is there only a single person running this entire facility, designed to contain and rehabilitate the most dangerous and unpredictable of Xmans?

It has been a while and I don't recall the exact details but wasn't the point that the place was not a legit operation and the "doctor" was quite adequate until poo poo goes sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I sure loved how the ending of tdk says Batman will keep going and then the beginning of tdkr says nine years have passed and Batman hadn't done anything in that time.

And then when he suddenly shows up again this one police officer is like "Oh it's batman, this is gonna be good" like it's a common occurence.

Makes no sense.