Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So in The Matrix, why do the Agents have such lovely aim? They aren't even human! They are literally sentient computer programs so you would think as part of their programming they would have perfect aim with a firearm. The machines would never have to worry about red pills because Smith could just cap fuckers from 200 yards out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

The movie '40 days and 40 nights' when josh hartnett was raped and the girl he liked was mad at him about it

I still don't understand how the writers thought this was a good idea.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Because men always want sex dont you know, you CANT rape them lol

Now that I think about it this is the same movie that basically says if men don't have sex or masturbate for 40 days they starting having hallucinations and go crazy.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If Darwin adapts perfectly to any environment he's in, why was he a black guy in 1960's America?

This is the question you all should actually be asking.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So I've been watching Arrow and also Spartacus and there is something in both of these shows that is probably done a lot in other shows/movies.

The situation is a character is severely wounded and on the brink of death, and there is usually one of two things preventing them from going to a real hospital. Its either A. the story is set far in the past where there were no hospitals(Spartacus) or B. they are in a super remote location and have no feasible way of getting to a city(Arrow). So the character is taken care of by the makeshift doctor, character is on a bed or table clearly struggling to live. The makeshift doctor will usually try to dress the wound, apply some ointment or herbs or some poo poo, and press a damp cloth on their forehead.
My question is: How do these characters survive these situations without food or water? They are usually unconscious for days, and there are no IVs or feeding tubes or poo poo like that. How are they able to recover without food/water. Also relatedly, the makeshift doctor will usually grind up some herbs and poo poo into a super-healing-drink and pour it into the unconscious character's mouth. Why don't these characters choke/drown when they are being force-fed liquid?
Is there a scientific explanation that I'm missing? pls help

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Hah, that's interesting.

Reminds me of HBO's Rome (of course they got it more accurate than Spartacus) they'd use phrases like "Juno's oval office!" as an intensifier.

Course they also had everybody cast with UK actors and with British accents so ehhh :v:

Jupiter's Cock is a pretty frequently used phrase in Spartacus

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

The velociraptors in the book are described as being pretty small. It was the movie that upscaled in size them because it made them work better as a movie monster and so they could fit a dude into the raptor costume.

Here's a video about the costume they used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAzQr3Ml0UI
I love this video.
My dad is friends with someone at Stan Winston studios(Now Legacy Effects) and I got to go through their shop in Burbank and it was loving awesome.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Yeah it's loving awesome

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

To contribute: I'm irrationally irritated by the way that boxing movies actually handle boxing by and large. Aside from Raging Bull they almost always get it wrong and it almost always looks entirely fake. Plus, guys take super human levels of punishment, are bleeding to death in their corner and it always comes down to "heart" long after a ref would've stopped those fights.

Rocky IV is the best boxing movie ever made sorry.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I was watching Daredevil on Netflix and I noticed they do something that A LOT of other TV shows and movies do:

Why are churches always empty?? Its always one priest working there, with nobody else around, and the protagonist comes and sits in a pew all alone and talks to the priest. I just can't believe that churches are empty like that all the time.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

A lot of churches are totally empty during off hours / non-holy days. I take a music class at a local Methodist place that's at 6:30 pm on a Monday. The basement has some homeless shelter stuff going on but the actual chapel is usually dead empty.

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, growing up Catholic unless it was mass there wasn't anyone in the main church area. Anything that was going on would be in attached buildings that were more general purpose rooms.

MindlessHavok posted:

To pile on to this, I would also think a guy like Daredevil would want to go when no one else was around. Showing him going to the church, finding out there's a ton of people there and going "welp I'll come back later" is boring so they don't show it.
Welp that shows how much I know about churches!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There was a scene, I think when he's in the warehouse with the dying russian boss, where he's able to quickly give a summary of all the objects available in the room. They were all small, inanimate objects, in containers in corners of the room. No matter how good your senses are, how could you tell they were there? They didn't have heartbeats to hear, or cologne to smell, or even any way of affecting air currents. It wasn't as glaring as the cologne bullshit, but to me that was the point where the show stopped even pretending he was blind at all.

You don't think that he could possibly smell the phosphorus in a road flare? The rust on old metal? I can't remember what the rest of the objects were specifically but I think there were definitely plausible explanations for him knowing they were there.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Polaron posted:

When did that happen? Because I don't remember it at all.

It didn't happen, sassassin is just a lovely poster.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

The solution is to have sex with a prostitute near a major airport. Even if the creature catches up to a John the prostitute will sleep with someone else before the thing comes back.

Plus the type of person who sleeps with a prostitute is likely to sleep with another soon in a different town.

No I haven't thought about this too much.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just go t a gang bang or an orgy.

The thing is though, if you gently caress a stranger you will never know when/if they get killed by it. You will still have to live looking over your shoulder always because it will eventually lead back to you.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's because writers want/need a child character but can't write for them so they just wrote normal dialogue for adults and it sounds precocious spoken by a child.

Clearly writers need to start keeping a handful of kids on retainer to write all their dialog for them.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Is this really a thing?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It feels cheap to have some divorced-parents backstory in JW seeing as it never comes into play again. Nobody gives a gently caress about you kid or your stupid parents, we came for the dinosaurs.

I don't even know why the kids were IN the movie tbh. Why wasn't it just Burt Macklin vs Dinosaurs for 2 hours?
I'm being fairly serious too.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Jurassic World has a bunch of inexplicable stuff, like pods to shove raptor faces through a wall like some kind of macabre living hunting trophy. That in and of itself could be cool as poo poo if they gave any good reason for it and the CG didn't look so bad - at times it really was reminiscent of the scene where King Koopa gets de-evolved to a pile of green slime in underrated cinematic tour de force Super Mario Brothers.

I thought it was pretty clear what they were used for?? They aren't exactly animals you can walk up to and put a leash around.

The CGI was kinda weak though, especially since they actually used practical effects for the Raptor heads in the cages but ended up putting a thick layer of CGI over it anyway so it looks like poo

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

I just got done watching Mockingjay Part 2.

IIMM: When and why did President Snow booby trap THE ENTIRE CITY? Like was that poo poo always there, kinda seems a little unsafe, and if it wasn't then that seemed like an awful lot of masterplanning to get done in the middle of a war? And where did the completely unexplained "mutts" come from, they were clearly just eyeless vampires from I Am Legend.
I haven't seen part 2 yet but I read the books and basically all of this can be explained by:
It was in the books so they decided it would be cool in the movie but were too lazy to set it up properly.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

More importantly, how do humans understand the robot beeping language?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just remembered in ESB and maybe in RotJ R2 totally talks with Luke while they are on their way to Dagobah. He outputs his speech to the display in the X-Wing and him and Luke have like a full on conversation. Droid-language must be a thing.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Depressio111117 posted:

They had him stop at the base of the stairs that led into the cantina, and I was curious to see how he'd get up, but then they just cut to him already being inside and I was p mad.

How does R2-D2 do it?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

He didn't say stop :allears:

Pretty sure he said no.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Several times in the Daredevil show, both seasons, they make a point of showing Matt can hear people's heartbeats down to a point he can tell if they're lying. That's his whole shtick, he can hear REALLY well.

How the hell did he not hear Elektra sitting in his apartment right when he walked in?

Maybe she is trained like the ninjas to be super quiet and slow her heartbeat down

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Throwing Turtles posted:

A much shorter cut with one iconic image would be less jarring and work just as well. The pearls falling works nicely.

Speaking of dads, who the hell was Bruce calling dad in the Superman Zod fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpxEmInvfg

He wasnt' saying Dad he was saying the guy's name

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The original was okay because at that point everyone was sick of Scream 7/I Know What You Did 10 Summers Ago/other slasher flims im forgetting.
Also a hot girl getting stabbed in the boob and her implant falling out was peak comedy in middle school.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I think of him more along the lines of Nic Cage for some reason. Good actor, been good in some good movies, been in a lot of poo poo movies, decent looking enough, versatile in ways...Wasn't Frasier at one time considered to play Batman? I can kind of sort of see it.

I think he does a really good job at the charming scoundrel, which is totally hot right now

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm always so pissed at the raw deal his sister gets. She gets freaked out by someone breaking into her house while she's alone and calls 911. This is apparently such an outrageous claim that she arrested and held at the police station. Her parents don't care at all that a stalker has been terrorizing their daughter. They're only mad the fine will make it harder to buy Ferris a car. Her lesson in the end is basically: some people are just luckier.
Ferris is the golden child and she is the rebellious gently caress-up, so nobody believes her

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

It makes me think of what annoyed me about movies like The Hills Have Eyes (the remake). Why spend all that time tormenting them and giving them a chance to escape when you could just ambush them with all your people straight away and eat them or whatever it is they do? The fact that I know the answer of "they would only act this way in a movie because the alternative is boring" is irrationally irritating I guess. I just wish they'd come up with some kind of scenario where the monster/whatever acts logically/intelligently and still leaves enough room for a feature length movie.
Most monsters/villains are too powerful to act logically. They have to be dumb as a handicap.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot is a great name though

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Gitro posted:

So if all it took to find Bucky was the news running a 'dangerous ex-nazi assassin pls report' story, is there some reason the CIA or whatever the leading intelligence service is in marvel didn't do that already? He was involved in a pretty high profile assassination attempt and presumably his name and description would be on some of the Hydra files. If they wanted to find him that badly maybe they could have worked with other people or something?

I think him supposedly blowing up the UN is kind of a tipping point. Like, yeah sure he was connected to hydra and involved in the DC helicarrier fiasco, but he has been in hiding since then so maybe they assumed he died?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Canemacar posted:

It especially annoyed me how she also insisted on dragging the hurt baby T-rex back to their camp, getting the only actually decent "good" guy killed.

gently caress it, should have just made the whole movie about the hunter guy going on a Jurassic Safari. He was the best character in the movie.

Also is it me or was Pete Postlethwaite's character implied to be gay?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

syscall girl posted:

How can you extrapolate that?

I mean I hope he'd jumped the fence of sexuality but

I thought that him and his indian friend that got eaten were together

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Agents of Shield season 3 ep 5 (?)

We get the very nice episode of Fitz going all-out to save Simmons. It's very touching and a great resurgence for the character after his brain was broken.
Then we get the same story from Simmon's perspective and all the hell she went through on the alien planet.
The episode is titled something like "47,550 Hours" because that's how long she was stranded.
My IMM is that she uses her cellphone to record notes of her progress and to watch saved video of her friends to keep her sane. I'm bad at math but how did a phone battery last over five years and then have enough juice to power an old NASA computer at the end?
She does say that Fitz "engineered it to last a long time" but that's loving magic.

It's irrational because it was a good pair of episodes set in a universe with literal magic.

I double checked and it's 4,722 hours. Still impressive!

Fitz borrowed an arc reactor from Tony Stark and put it in her phone I guess

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Nermal. posted:

Two things that piss me off about the original Willy Wonka:

1. The opening scene where the kids get out of school and go to the candy shop. The shop owner lets the kids essentially throw their own sugar rave where he's literally chucking free candy at them, and can-barely-afford-a-loaf-of-bread-Charlie watches from the window. DUDE. GET IN THERE.

2. For Charlie's birthday, two of his grandpas pitched in and got him a Wonka bar. When he opens it, the mom looks flustered and says TWICE she doesn't approve of the idea, because it will get his hopes up. The grandparents are loving bedridden... Which means SHE was the one who had to go out and get the thing.... Right?

Also later on, Grandpa Joe suprises Charlie with ANOTHER Wonka bar that he used his "tobacco money" to buy. But he hadn't done his dance/song routine yet so he was still bedridden at that point also. Did the mom go buy the candy for him then too?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Ugh, the idea of having all your parents and in - laws crammed in one bed sounds awful. Something tells me my stepdad really wouldn't get along with my dad in terms of negotiating blanket space.

I'd be more concerned with having two pairs of old-people feet surrounding me at all times.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Krinkle posted:

The only part of the tim burton wonka movie I saw while flipping channels was when he tracked down sauruman the wizard dentist and his dad was like "you didn't brush" or whatever. It was the dumbest possible thing. WIlly Wonka has daddy issues? And a dad? And they resolve it as the movie's climax? Who gives a poo poo.

His dad let him go trick or treating when he was a kid and then when he got home he took all his candy and threw it in the fire in front of him. Pretty hosed up if you ask me.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I think it's more that, though we know these characters as Iron Man and Thor and such, most regular people wouldn't. Like, when has the name 'Thor' been mentioned to a layman in Harlem? Or Captain America? Iron Man, I could see being a little more popular, as he actually says his name on a news broadcast, but for the most part the Avengers are a group that most people have only ever seen once, in blurry handheld recordings of this 'Incident'.
Plus it's not like these guys are wearing name tags or anything.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Wasn't the crew 3 people? The two natural born guys, and Morpheus. Everyone else was there to jump into the matrix.

Morpheus refers to Trinity as his lieutenant or second-in-command so I assume they all had jobs on the ship when they weren't in the matrix. The brothers were the only ones that didn't go in because they don't have the holes/plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh very probably. They're all fantastic visuals (especially the auto-piano), and all the rest of the show is extremely My poo poo, it just feels unnecessary to have so many.

Daredevil does the exact same thing, but it's all tied around Hell's Kitchen and Catholicism, so it doesn't feel that gratuitous.

Daredevil's intro is only about 60 seconds long as well, so it was over before I could even get annoyed enough to skip it.