Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CratSock posted:

The only time this locational geography type stuff bothered me enough to grumble was in Revolution. No cars, no planes, usually not even horses, and the characters suddenly materialize all over the US. I mean I know it would have been boring as crap to just watch people walking for 4 straight episodes, but I think they actually referenced timeframes sometimes and it felt really short for the distance.

Also, they always leave weapons on dead guys, even when they are obviously low on ammo themselves.

The first season of Hannibal had a casual drive from Baltimore to Minnesota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know we've talked to death about obviously fake video game playing in movies and shows, but I recently started watching The Sopranos and the fourth episode has Tony and A.J. playing Mario Kart 64 so horribly wrong I couldn't deal with it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A couple of things in Snowpiercer:

People communicate across language barriers using a translation device, but they always stop using it after a few exchanges and continue speaking in their native tongues with perfect understanding. I'm sure the director just didn't want to have every line of dialogue repeated in a different language, but it was off-putting.

Also, Yona being clairvoyant is entirely irrelevant to the movie and serves only to slightly intensify the scene in which it is mentioned. Unless I'm missing something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In early Season 2 of Six Feet Under, a football player dies and his lifespan is given as 1981-2001. In the next scene David says he was 21 years old. Come on, Six Feet Under.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

How did it get so many positive reviews?

Because the preceding two hours are awesome. I wasn't big on the ending either.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

razorrozar posted:

Return of the Jedi had a lot of problems, tbh.

I am irritated by Ewoks. Is that irrational?

Ewoks are like the most criticized part of the original trilogy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, someone really needs to make a Spiderman film that isn't two hours of him loving moping.

The Amazing Spider-Man is not very mopey but it's also significantly worse than the first two Raimi films.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

That just pisses me off even more, that a movie is influenced by religious morons.

Or, you know, Judd Apatow thought it would make a good plot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I think Godzilla would have been better suited if they had just followed a bunch of different people instead of the one uninteresting guy that just happens to always be in the right place.

Or have Godzilla on screen for more than 10 minutes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Emma Watson's American accent in The Perks of Being a Wallflower bugged the poo poo out of me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rare Collectable posted:

Just watched the new Godzilla the other night and god drat do I hate it when action/sci-fi/horror flics waste too much time on pointless character drama. Do they seriously think the audience of a Godzilla movie payed to watch 45 minutes of Bryan Cranston's daddy-drama: Japanese edition?

No please, show me more of this whiny toddler with barely any relation to the plot. Giant monster fights? Who cares about that!

The new Dredd does a good job of avoiding this; no contrived fluff, just a minimal introduction and the action gets underway.

It's too bad Dredd is the most unintentionally funny movie I've seen in years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

After I've finished shooting you in the face, would you mind explaining how it was unintentionally funny?

Were all of the one-liners supposed to be delivered horribly? Was I supposed to be laughing with the writers when the camera zooms up to him after he throws Mama to her death (in one of the most anti-climactic action movie endings ever) and he just says "Yeah."?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Throwing her off the balcony is a gambit. He says "yeah" because his suspicions that the bomb wouldn't go off when she hit the pavement were confirmed. Her slo-mo death is a cool call-back to the intro with her brutal murder that brought Dredd to the scene in the first place. They also emphasize that even when she's going to die, Mama doesn't really care. It was thematically appropriate and, sorry, also cool.

How do you expect one liners to be delivered? Because they seemed spot on for me given his personality and the tone of the film.

In a way that's not stunted and awkward. "...wait for her to shoot you" is probably the worst culprit. The "I am the law" that was already discussed is another. Oh, and "It's judgment time!" It's not just that their corny, it's that Urban sounds uncomfortable saying them.

My irrationally irritating part of that movie is that he twists his mouth in a way that oddly resembles Pootie Tang at various points in the movie, but that's probably just me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

In Iron Man 3, why would Ben Kingsley's character, an English actor, be drinking Budweiser, of all beers?

Because he's in the United States, isn't he? Or do they travel somewhere to find him? He does have a Premier League game on, but you can watch those in America with the right cable package.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Every single lovely 2000's movie involving dogs would have the "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yay bow wow yippie yo yippie yay" part from Atomic Dog (which I recently learned isn't a rap song even though it has been sampled a billion times) in the trailer.

Also "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I noticed this in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but also in stuff like The Walking Dead, but why does everyone go out to fight zombies in just t-shirts/sleeveless shirts? In the kind of situation where blood contact can cause an infection, wouldn't you want like thick leather and eye protection?

I figure in The Walking Dead people don't really have a big wardrobe to choose from when they're on the run from the zombie apocalypse. Plus it's mostly set in Georgia where it's usually warm.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The reason The Joker is so terrifying is that he has absolutely no backstory and nobody knows where he came from. I like sperging about potential backstories with fictional characters as much as the next guy, but he's one character where the audience knowing absolutely nothing benefits him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Buzkashi posted:

What the gently caress is this dude on the left even doing. "I'll just point my gun at him and then pratfall off the screen!"

Hey man, ice can really take you out if you're not paying attention.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pacific Rim didn't pretend to be anything other than stupid, and it worked very well. Prometheus wanted very hard to appear smart, and it wasn't.

I still liked Prometheus okay though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well Xerxes being a demigod is way better as a movie villain premise than Xerxes as a lunatic who made a bridge out of boats and then ordered people to beat the water when it got destroyed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aggressive pricing posted:

Except he totally* did that. Life is stranger than fiction.

*maybe, Herodotus liked to make poo poo up

That was my point. You go for realism and it just winds up being too silly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Friday Night Lights has to have set a record for the most silently dropped story lines in television history. Most of them were for the better--the Writer's Strike was a mercy kill on season 2. But my god.

Whatever happened to the kid that Buddy adopted?
Remember Waverly?
Why was Tim Riggins in high school for like seven years?

There are many more that I can't think of. It's still probably in my top five shows of all time. "The Son" is the only work of fiction (besides Toy Story 3) that has almost made me cry. Texas forever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
According to some website Hastings was supposed to be gay too. They never did anything remotely interesting with his character.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Walking Dead is obviously full of irritating moments, but one that always bugged me as that Darryl hunts for food with the same crossbow bolts that he uses to kill zombies. All those squirrels have gotta be tainted.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know the zombies turn you if they bite you and everyone already has a virus, but that should probably apply to eating zombie flesh too. Otherwise Bob laughing and going "I'M TAINTED MEAT" when the cannibals eat his leg has no impact.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

You should pay more attention instead of posting how about how unrealistic a zombie show is.

Look at what thread you're in.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The "Things often go over my head and that makes me angry" thread?

Explain how eating something that could contain the blood of an undead person isn't a big risk, instead of just being an rear end in a top hat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mans posted:

I don't understand how anyone kept watching that show after they spent a whole season arguing whether to leave a farmhouse or not with barely anything happening during hour long episodes.

Because it changed showrunners and became a much more entertaining show. They seem to have finally found the right formula in season 5.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I laughed my crabs off for a week when she killed that other little girl. They clearly meant it to be this huge moment that would shock people and it was so predictable and stupid - they clearly think they're making The Wire or Breaking Bad or something but they're so pedestrian it hurts. Like the episode the other week with that lass in the hospital - you know from the very start it's going to turn out to be a rapey hospital because they've done cannibals and psychopaths and rape is next on the big list of shocking things they're working from.
Funnily enough they've now had three actors from The Wire. I love the suggestion from either The A/V Club or Grantland that they should get Jamie Hector to actually play Marlo Stanfield in a zombie apocalypse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All I've heard about Sons of Anarchy is that it's Hamlet on motorcycles. If it's anything like other FX dramas I've tried (Rescue Me, The Bridge), it's conceptually cool but isn't quite executed well enough.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

So you only need to sit through 3.9* seasons of dreck to get to the good stuff? Sign me up! :rolleyes:

*the first episode of the first season was good, and all I've seen of it. I'm ok with this.

It really just depends on your tolerance for silliness. Season 2 is absurdly boring but they slowly began to understand that people mostly just want to see zombies killing people or getting killed and not have characters try to tackle abortion. This season is the first where I feel comfortable saying it's actually a good show and not just good trash TV. But I watch more than enough "prestige" television to have earned a schlocky horror adventure once in a while without feeling guilty about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton as the leads in Exodus. Also another movie about Moses. There are other stories in the bible.

Why haven't we gotten a badass Samson movie?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

In WWZ (the book) they said that only people could become zombies but that the virus was fatal to basically everything. So vultures, rats, and even insects were staying away. It's one of the reasons they're so well preserved despite being dead for years.

So just go with something like that.
There are wild animals everywhere so that doesn't really work. It's just an SFX thing. I'm not a zombie connoisseur but I can't think of any movie where they've had flies following them around.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Caedus posted:

Bob is the Dale replacement, as in the comics all that leg stuff happens to him instead. But the guy who played him hosed off and they needed someone for that story arc to happen too. Same with Tara, she's going to be filling in all of Andrea parts. It seems to me in season 3 they couldn't decide if they wanted to follow the comics accurately or not, then made the decision to do so in season 4 and had to replace the characters they killed off in order for it to work. Season 5, they've been playing catch up and really trying get a lot more of the comic arcs across. Does Season 5 seem a lot better to most people? That's why. The Beth/Police arc is the one original part since her and Darryl are original characters so their arc seems weaker than the rest.

There was a big teaser moment for the comic fans in the last Terminus episode. When they have the eight men lined up in front of the bleeding trough, the teaser for the episode has the guy line up right behind Glenn and begin to swing. Before the episode aired, I thought it might be a call-back (or forward) to the fact that Negan beats Glenn's head in with a bat much later on.

I think Bob and Tara exist more because the showrunners realized it was loving absurd to have exactly one black character in the main cast of a show set outside of Atlanta. The weirdest part of their indecisiveness about following the comics was having T-Dog be Tyreese minus a family or anything cool, then deciding gently caress it, we'll have Tyreese anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Didn't the second Jurassic Park book have a chameleon dinosaur? It isn't like ridiculous hybrids are too far fetched.

Yes. That version of Carnotaurus is also a boss in the Lost World arcade game, which is the dopest arcade game of all time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The midseason finale is entirely rationally irritating. It was stupid as hell. I like how Maggie is so devastated but a casual fan could have no idea they were even sisters if they started watching after season 2.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Yes but it was a shocking twist that's bound to get people talking, a real watercooler moment if you will. Honestly, I'd be more entertained if it was just an hour of someone literally painting by numbers every week. At least it's hosed off until february.

Is somebody forcing you to watch it or something?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Considering his career trajectory, it always surprises me that Seth Rogen debuted in Donnie Darko.

On film maybe, but Freaks and Geeks is far more in line with what he would go on to do, and involved many people he would frequently work with.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.

That just means you aren't supposed to know what they're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Walt's a straight-up villain, particularly near the end of the series. Now whats-his-face from Person of Interest who is a capital-H Hero with some sorta vendetta against knees, that's a better example.

The point was about fan reaction. People loved Walt to the bitter end.