Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I enjoyed Lucy. It was fun :colbert: It went full Akira and I appreciated that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, on the "She kills a lot of innocent people" criticism I think that that was the point. She isn't a hero, or particularly villainous she just stops seeing other people due to her nigh omnipotence. She does mention earlier in the movie that she is concerned that she may be losing herself due to suddenly being a god among ants. She keeps the police officer around as a reminder so maybe that's why shes not teleporting all over the place and majorly (only slightly) breaking physics, she is trying to keep herself grounded in some way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

All of I, Frankenstein.
I'm not sure I have ever been this bored during a supernatural action movie.

AS poor a movie as it was, at least the actors in Van Helsing were having fun. Best Outtake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMoSe-V36yw

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't know why but this reminds me of Mr Bean's Holiday (the second movie) which I thought was cute. I liked the idea of only having 6 of the 8 numbers of the father phone number and having to try all 100 possible remaining digits to reunite them. It was kinda nice, especially how Mr Bean wasn't an rear end. He noticed the awful thing that had happened due to distracting the kid in the first place and spent the entire movie endlessly trying to rectify it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kinda liked Whiplash in Iron Man 2. I think it was the scenes of him working at Hammer on the drone suits, with his hair tied back, tiny pair of glasses and a pen in his mouth. It was like KGBeast going to a fancy dress party as a stereotypical nerd :3: I also liked that he grew to like the bird that Hemmer got him even though it wasn't his 'burd'. Normally that kind of character would have killed the replacement to make a point about 'not my burd' but he was reasonable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Helen O'Loy seems like the Robin Williams movie Bicentennial Man may have been based on it. Similar premise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I'm like 95% sure you're not that dense and are just baiting me, but whatever it's not a hard fix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bicentennial_Man

I forgot Bicentennial Man was already a short story. Haven't read much Asimov. Sorry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Can't find a clip but there is a fantastic moment in the Moffat Sherlock series where Sherlock is detectiving while him and Watson are blind drunk. As Watson puts it: "He... he'sh cluin'.. for looks."

Sherlocks brain patterns are hilarious there as well, normally the series pops up little blurbs like "1949 Abercrombie Laquered wood... etc" popup on the screen representing his thought processes, but when drunk all knowledge flies out of the window and all he can muster is:

Chair???/
...Sitty Thing...
Comfy...
????

Then he falls asleep on their carpet and gets kicked out.

I also like when Irene Adler gets the better of him by stripping anything identifying away, ie going completely naked, and all he can deduce is:
??????
??????
??
???

Over and over because of having nothing to go on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With season 3 I thought the wedding of Watson was a funny episode as well, Sherlock hijacks his own best man speech to crowdsource a riddle he is having trouble with involving a weapon that was never anywhere near the crime scene. One idiot (also being used as a replacement sherlock by the lab assistant who is crushing on him due to being a tall dark man in a big coat) Proposes s 'knife of meat and bone that disassembled and washed down the drain." Sherlocks response is just:

"A meat knife?!" just astounded how little thought went into that idea. Also after he realises what a lovely friend he is due to hijacking Watson's wedding to crowdsource a case he ends up making some really sweet points about not knowing why Watson sticks by him like he does, and panics seeing the crowds reaction:

"Why are they crying? Did I do it wrong?"

:3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always find one line in Kung Fu Panda 2 really annoying because of the logic of the scene, when Shifu tells Po that "The day you entered my temple, was the worst day of my life. Nothing else even came close"

Really? Being such a lovely father you turned Tai Lung evil and then inverted those mistakes with Tigress and made her an emotional wreck don't even register? The only reason he was able to train Po to be effective as a hero and not just a warrior was that Mr Ping, an actual good father, got to him first and raised him to be emotionally stable, before Shifu could screw him up. I guarantee if baby Po had shown up at the temple instead of the restaurant, Tai Lung would have killed everyone, due to Po just being another Tigress, and not mentally equipped to deal with him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With precocious children I liked the kid in iron Man 3. I thought the scene with him and Stark parting was pretty funny. Earlier the kid tries to stop Tony leaving or some such thing, or wants to be his protege, I've forgotten teh context but he claims that they have a 'connection'
Later Tony is about to drive off, the kid tries to stop him by whining and this exchange happens:

Kid: :qq:
Tony :3:

:qq: I'm cold...
:3: I know. Wanna know how?
:qq: *Nods*
:3: Cause we have a ~connection~ :v: *Drives off at top speed*

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With the episode in question I'm surprised they didn't just have Barry get tagged by the cold gun in the beginning, to stop him outpacing Captain Cold and Heatwave. The gun was literally created by Cisco as an anti-Flash weapon in case Barry was evil like the other metahumans. When Barry is hit by the cold gun it temporarily slows him down substantially.

And Reverse Flash is Eobard Thawne in this continuity, Professor Zoom is season 2's problem.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Nov 25, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You know, it's overplayed but I have no hate for allstar. It's like Superman (Here I am~... getting stronger all the time~...) in the Tony Hawk games, it plays way too often, but it's somewhat catchy. It just triggers nostalgia buttons for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

I hate that I read this thread in work and then I get it stuck on my head all day because I can't listen to anything else to scrub it from my brain.

Sorry...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Ratatouille :
I don't give a gently caress how passionate he is about the food I don't want a filthy diseased riddled rat making my food.

To be fair, he adhered to strict codes of hygiene even before starting to cook. Remy was no dirtier than the average human, outside the short jaunt through a sewer. He also sanitized the other rats when they needed to help during the climax.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always wanted to see a twist on that idea like in this one episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark:
This family moves into an apartment building and the daughter meets up with an artist in the room down the hall which is, of course, supposed empty. The girl becomes good friends with Madeline a visits her often, but one day Madeline asks her to be sure that she visits after school the next day because it is one day she hates to be alone.

Of course, she meets a new friend at school and accidentally forgets Madeline to go to a concert, but goes over the very next day to apologise, only to find the apartment empty. She turns around to see Maddy crying by the window. She notices the girl and snaps at her "WHY DID YOU BREAK YOUR PROMISE!? You knew that was the one day I hate to be alone." As the girl shortly discovers, that was the day Madeline died. She explains what happened after Maddy calms down the next day, and Maddy realises she can't begrudge her finding new friends outside the apartment, and it all has a rather sweet resolution, where the girl explains the situation to her mother and they arrange with the landlord that they will move to the 'unrentable' room. The landlord has no idea about Madeline, he just knows noone ever wants to stick around in that room, and allows the switch. The family are now living with Madeline and they have a ghost buddy now, and Madeline is never alone again :3:.

I wanna see more ghost stories like that, of course they would mainly be childrens movies. The closest I've seen is Paranorman.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Elfgames posted:

you think the energy to transport a giant fuckoff sword is cheap? hell no, you try your best to win without it so zordon doesn't bitch about the power bill.

I like the reason given by this webcomic :3:

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/maybe-he-just-wasnt-paying-attention

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Beetlejuice.

Forgot about that one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's one line in Kung Fu Panda 2 that I take umbrage with, that casts Shifu's behaviour in a paticularly bad light for me (although obviously not intended to be read this way). When Shifu describes how he obtained Inner Peace he claims that the day Po came to the temple was the worst day of his life. Nothing else even comes close. However, in retrospect, there are three situations that should at least be contenders:

1) The day he realised he turned Tai Lung into a humourless rear end in a top hat and was stuck locking him in prison for 30 years when he became a psychopath. Great Parenting there Shifu!
2) The fact that he repeated the same mistakes with Tigress but in reverse: He gave her nothing but criticism in fear of her developing a dangerous ego like Tai Lung, but he had her since she was a cub, and she internalised that criticism, and now has a pathological desperation to prove that she's good enough to be his student. The only reason her emotional health was salvaged was because she met Po and saw what it looked like to have your emotional health intact.
3) Almost breaking Po as well. He almost succeeded in his initial plot to drive Po away just as he no longer wanted to do that. Po was about to quit due to Tai Lung's impending arrival and the fact that he hadn't been trained in any way, just beaten up with no real instruction, and felt woefully unready. Congrats Shifu, you took the one guy who would never quit, and you nearly made him quit.

Generally, a thing I like about Po is the way his development is mirrored in his villains. Each villain is someone who should have learned the lesson he learns during the course of the movie, but failed to. Tai Lung has no ability to reflect on himself so the dragon scroll is completely lost on him, but Po has been doing nothing but wishing he was someone else for so long that he knows exactly who he is and is comfortable enough to understand that he doesn't need a killer tech to be who he needs to be. Lord Shen has been spending 30 years obsessing over being banished for commiting genocide (What did he expect to happen, really?) but Po understands that, while that event was an important aspect of who he is, there's nothing he can really do about it because it was so long ago he couldn't even remember it, so has let go of it Po's influence can be summed up as "Hey, get off the crazy train, my awesome train is pulling into the station!" and the villains are like "Naw, I prefer the crazy train". Shifu and Tigress are respond with, "Welp, this is where we transfer. Bye"

I know this post turned into a bit of both but I generally like these movies :3:.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Jan 29, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A thing I consider about Inside Out is that Riley is at about the age when puberty begins. Her brain is about to undergo a radical chemical restructuring that causes behavioral issues in all teenagers/preteens until things settle down. I consider Inside Out not to be a "Heroes' journey" in the traditional sense but an abstraction of Riley's brain destroying all the old neural pathways to make room for the new ones in preparation for entering puberty in the next two years. Bear in mind that they get surprised when Sadness starts acting out and getting restless, even she didn't know what had got into her

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Avengers 2 again. When Vision is first born, he gets thrown through a plate glass window. Why didn't he just phase right through that poo poo? I swear to god, he hardly phased at all in that flick.

Allow me to explain that one with a quote from the movie:

Ultron: You are shockingly naive...
Vision: To be fair I was born yesterday :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let's be honest, if that idiot Smith kid was dropped into modern day Australia he would have worse odds surviving anywhere outside the cities. gently caress, even in the cities with the drat spiders and snakes and poo poo that's a cassowary gently caress IT RUN.

Australia is what happens when evolution says: gently caress it, venom for everything! And make some of them super tiny too.

Hell if the zombie apocalypse first started in Australia would anyone think it was abnormal, or just that some blokes got sunstroke and didn't get treatment for some bite?

They'd just think the guy was a Ciggy-Butt Brain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Obviously Flanders went home cause God told him to

I wouldn't be surprised if, given how God is in the Simpsons, he hadn't framed it as "Yeesh, Ned. Go home. You've been here all day. You need a life outside of me, and I need some space here."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think, despite the fact that it was annoying when underway, I enjoyed what happened when Iris finds out about the deception in Flash. Just the fact that Barry trying to weasel out of being yelled at just dragged the others down with him:

"I..I wanted to tell you but Joe said that..."
"Dad knew too?"
"Well Eddie really wanted to tel you but..."
"EDDIE KNEW!?"

And she just spends a few episodes really pissed off at everyone in the cast for treating her like an idiot, which is fair.

I also liked in the latest series with Earth 2 Harrison Wells (or, Harry) basically telling Barry that if it came down to a choice between Barry or Harry's Daughter, he would betray Barry hard, and then when push comes to shove, and Iris get's injured due to Harry stealing some of Barry's speed, he admits fault. He admits what he did and how he did it, explains his reasoning and accepts the consequences with no fuss. Then is taken aback when Barry comes to him in his cage and just goes, "Come on, you're going home... and we're coming too. Let's get to Earth 2 and save your daughter :3:"

That was a pretty great plotline.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

What, they made more?

I've found season 2 fine so far. Nothing egregious has jumped out at me yet and I'm still enjoying the character dynamics. If the above comment has you worried, just watch and form your own opinion.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gaunab posted:

How bad does the relationship drama get in the Flash? That's one of the major things that bring down CW shows.

Season 2 has a relationship with a new cop in the Metahuman Task force that was interesting but Barry couldn't help but blow it by trying to keep secrets again. That's as bad as season 2 gets though - also she knows that Barry is the Flash by the end of it then breaks it off because he can't just be honest, but also leaves town to go to a forensic school she'd always wanted to go to. That's as bad as season 2 gets

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way I've realised why I have no interest in seeing Batman Vs Superman - the colour palette is so dull. The scenes are either Black and Blue or Black and Orange. That's not a movie. That's a movie poster.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Season 2 of the Flash is the Iron Man 2 of Flash seasons. They spend all their time setting up other people's poo poo and I loving hate it.

I liked Iron Man 2, but I guess I have a high tolerance for bad movies. I liked the moments with the villain working on his drones, they did well to humanize him. Just loved him with his Dreadlocks tied back into a ponytail with a screwdriver in his mouth and a tiny pair of reading glasses. :3:

Also though it was neat the way he reacted to the bird. Any other movie with that archetype would likely have had him kill the new bird out of a show of force, because it wasn't his bird, but he bonded with it and found himself liking the lil' guy just as much as his original bird. He was a dull character overall but he had moments that I liked.

It's the same reason I'm enjoying Vandal Savage in the TV stuff, he has little moments like when he is first introduced and he laughs at one of Barry's jokes at the expense of his intro speech. It's a small giggle that goes straight to stony face again afterward but it's the little moments of the person behind the badass poking through that I enjoy.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Mar 24, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Whatev posted:

Literally everything you liked about Iron Man 2's villain was forced into the movie by Mickey Rourke (the actor playing him dingus). The birds, the hair, the tattoos and teeth and his more human scenes - all of it. That's how bad the script was; it contained absolutely none of that. Imagine that character with none of those elements and that was what it was going to be, there but for the grace of Rourke.

I knew he was played by Mickey Rourke jackass, I didn't know all of that was his idea so thanks for enlightening me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

rydiafan posted:

My IIMM in Spider-man 2 was every time Spider-man hit Doc Oc. Spidey can lunch through brick walls and Doctor Octopus has no enhanced damage resistance. His arms preventing him from being hit is all he has, so any time a punch gets through it should put him into a coma.

There was a dumb comic story where Ock and Peter swapped bodies where this was addressed. Ock gets in a fight in Peter's body and hits someone full force completely disintegrating the guys jawbone, he rips it right off. He then realises, "holy poo poo! Peter could have killed me at any moment. I only had a chance against him because he was the good guy." Peter holds back because he doesn't want to cause severe brain damage or death to a great scientist who, in the movie, was being controlled by his psychotic arms and wasn't evil himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was another acting choice. They hit Mickey Rourke with an actual car and he was just like: Oh! You wanted the character to be injured? Sorry dude, the Styrofoam car was so light... what do you mean it was steel?

That's just what Mickey's like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A thing I'm enjoying in Legends of Tomorrow so far is Captain Cold's hero complex. He is fixated on his "code", never leaving a member of his crew behind fiercely protective of them. He has a hero complex just as bad as Barry's, his is just applied differently. Although I'm only as far as Project Soviet Firestorm (Episode 3 I think) so don't correct me if that changes later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A cross between Little Mermaid and Troy McClure - Massive scandal because Chief Bogo has been screwing a dolphin.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I actually enjoy the Producers musical remake despite it's flaws but there's one line that always throws me off - near the end of the movie it's revealed that While Leo and Ulla were in Reno after betraying Max, they got married. The reason given is that Leo wouldn't have sex with Ulla until they were. The Judge considers Leo a 'schmuck' for that behaviour, but bear in mind - Ulla agreed to marry him. She could have had anyone without needing to be tied down because she is incredibly attractive, but she apparently found Leo so irresistable that she agreed to marry him so she could do him. Just how desirable is this so-called schmuck? I personally think the judge was having sour grapes. :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I want to see a horror movie where the reason the alien/demon is dicking with everyone is really mundane.

"Why? What do you want :qq:"
"I got stranded here 30 years ago, and I can't wander into a town looking like this!. I got bored. Chill out. Hey, I'm tired of this game, let's go back in the spooky cabin and watch a movie or something?"

Edit: Then, a few hours later, they both hear a loud crash outside, and the REAL movie begins!

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Apr 25, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Martha Kent starts hanging out with his dad, and Pa Kent and Clark caused Lex to turn evil. Smallville was so bad.

I liked the Kents in Lois and Clark in the 90s. They had so much personality. There was an episode where John thought Martha was cheating on him because he found a recent nude painting of her (Which he of course shows to Clark eliciting the great response ":gonk: Mom?"). It turns out she was just taking a life drawing class and volunteered to be the model one week, because while she is getting old she still wants to do poo poo in her later years instead of sitting around the house collecting her pension.

Also Martha was badass. In a pretty dumb episode where the adults start acting like children due to a gas released by a new toy, Clark burns Lois's heel off her high heeled shoe with his heat vision. Martha sees this, orders him into the office and just rails on him with "NOW CLARK! Never once have I spanked you and that is because I never had to! But anymore outbursts like that and I will take you over my knee right now!" Said by an 80 year old woman to Superman. They were the best in that series.

My brother got the box set a few years ago and we watched them together, that's why I have such good recollection of a 25 year old show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the way he used the portapotty armour when Loki invaded Stark tower in the first Avengers movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Trent posted:

in Xmen and 9999 other movies

Totally unnecessarily complex impossible jet/space ship/ hovercraft

:j:can you fly this thing
:v: Sure, why not
*flies it perfectly, does complex maneuvers that would take tons of training and practice using unfamiliar controls of unique prototype*

It added nothing to the movie and was pointless other than cool whizbang vehicle CGI

I like when it's a character from the far future trying to pilot a relatively mundane plane like it's really a comparison. "I can fly a time machine spaceship, how hard can a jumbo jet be?" With how streamlined the controls would have become by 500 years in the future, even since now, it should be like going back to trying to drive the Ford Model T.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Memento posted:

They open wounds on his hands every time he extends them, then the wounds heal around them when they're retracted, due to his mutant healing factor.

Yeah, remember the only power he should have naturally is the healing factor. Everything else was artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With Zooey Deschanel I've noticed that she can be incredibly wooden if poorly directed. I watched a Miniseries called Tin Man years ago which had interesting ideas, and a good performance from the supporting cast which included Alan Cummings as the scarecrow character and an interesting take on the Tin Man.

Deschanel plays the Dorothy Gale analog called DG becasue acronyms are edgy. (OZ is now an backronym for "Outer Zone" it's overall a dumb show), and her and the actress playing the chief villain, her sister who is possessed by the wiched witch of the west, are the worst performances bar none. Her sister is played by an actress who's only credit on the back of the box is Scary Movie 5, although to give her credit in a scene where she's at her childhood home and the sister's memories are forcing their way back into her mind, you can tell the actress is trying to do a regretful nostalgia but failing at it due to being a bad actress.

Interesting Ideas:

The Tin Man is an ex-cop from the Emerald City who isn't actually literally made of tin, he is just severely jaded after being forced to relive his family being slaughtered by the villain over and over for years. The Tin Man moniker is a nickname given to the police with the same root as the UK term "Copper".

Alan Cummings plays the scarecrow character, who is interesting because of how the backstory affects Alan's performance. He used to be the queens adviser, the smartest man in the kingdom of Oz but the villain literally stole half his brain to power a superweapon, and his performance is interesting as a result. THere are times when it's obvious that his goofy nature is a coping mechanism, like when they do the old joke where the idiot takes the main character in circles in the woods and they pass the same log three times, and Glitch, as he now calls himself, is clearly distraught that he's forgotten the route that he used to know so well. He chulckes and plays it off with a joke but it's obvious that he is very frustrated with himself due to his mannerisms. There's also a funny part later where him and the Tin Man need to infiltrate the lair of the villain, and Glitch is rambling on about how good a dancer he used to be. The tin man tries to take out the guards and struggles with them then Glitch jumps in and dance fights them to death with a lot of kicks and dodges. His response to the look the Tin Man gives? "It's all about the rhythm :smug:"

The Wizard has been reduced to an addict performing stage shows to afford a substance that the villain is using to cloud his mind, although the original sharp wit occasionally manages to fight it's way through. His actor does a decent job getting the inherent despair across, and helps that character be entertaining.

The cowardly lion character, a psychic dogman called Raw, is one of the weaker performances due to not being given much to work with, but his arc with finding his courage is interesting and somewhat satisfying despite that. His species are empaths, and due to being tortured so the villain can use their psychic abilities the locate the McGuffin (the "Grey Gale") that will make her weapon work and also the only thing that can stop it, has developed an aversion to people in general and has had any assertiveness literally beaten out of him. However, when it comes down to him being captured he is put in a cell with two others of his kind, and old man and a child, his cowardice lets the old man be taken and he doesn't survive the experience. When the guard comes for the kid, Raw finally snaps out of desperation, wrestles the guards cattleprod away from him and tases him with it in a satisfying moment.

The Grey Gale itself in amusing. It is the tomb of the original Dorothy Gale, and when DG enters it she finds herself in Kansas in greyscale, talking to Dorothy's young self. I thought it being so literal was kinda funny.

Overall it is muddled in execution but the good parts are at least fun, even when the CG is garbage. Also the evil sister summons flying monkeys out of her five boob tattoos, when the lead one, Sora, is killed I think that that tattoo disappears. I thought that was hilariously stupid.