Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Elissimpark posted:

To quote Bill Bailey: "I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment."

My Mad Max theory is that every Australian has a deep-seated desire to dress in outlandish costumes, however this is normally crushed beneath Australian blokey-bloke culture.

As evidence, some music acts that are super popular in Australia, relative to the rest of the world: Kiss, ABBA, the Village People.

Three days after civilization collapses, Australia is going to look like an amateur audition for a gritty Priscilla reboot.
Farscape, the greatest work of Australian fiction, is ample evidence of this theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm still annoyed that we never got Wally giving the 'fastest man alive' opening monolog.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Flash is basically a speed-themed wizard.

If no one else is going to post it I will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Which was referenced in this bit from JLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKOXO-4abg

8one6
May 20, 2012

Kind of like any discussion of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge will spoil everything about it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

late 90s Comedy Central was just Inner Space, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Mannequin Two on constant rotation.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Wasn't it around season 4 where they announced that R&M got greenlit for 50 more episodes?

8one6
May 20, 2012

8one6
May 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

Twenty years in prison, telling the same lie, it's not impossible that he's come to believe it himself.

He might have fought a MCU version of William Burnside that just hasn't come up in the movies/TV shows yet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yodas are popular. The next series will have a sexy girl Yoda named Yodette.

8one6
May 20, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Indigenous: you can't just lead in your movie with a statement that over 3 billion people believe in the chupacabra and then make your chupacabra entirely different from basically every legend of it that I ever heard of. He's supposed to be some dog thing that attacks goats and stuff, not some humanoid demon alien lurking in the jungle ripping tourists' faces off

That's almost exactly how it was described by the lady who originally reported it.

https://monstertalk.skeptic.com/tracking-the-chupacabra-1

If you don't want to listen to the episode the first report is almost exactly the alien from the movie Species which the person who reported it had watched hours earlier.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, breaking the spoiler a bit here, but I went looking for the alien from Species because it's been a very long time since I saw the movie.

Um, did it always have those giant nipples?

I mean, goddamn, they're loving huge.

Pretty much. It's a sex monster and Giger isn't exactly subtle about that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm watching 30 Days of Night and drat do people turn into vampires easily/quickly in this movie.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Memento posted:

Where the gently caress did Dr. Peter Venkman get 300cc of Thorazine from in a classy Central Park West apartment? Was he carrying it with him?

Do you even measure Thorazine in cc?

According to Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpromazine it can be injected so you could measure it in ccs, but that's 10 loving fluid ounces. It's also not an anestheic but an Antipsychotic.

I remember reading somewhere that Aykroyd mixed up Pete being a psychologist with a psychiatrist (ie can't vs can write scripts)

8one6
May 20, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Edit: Unrelated very stupid, very silly, very pointless question:

So Donald Duck wears a sailor outfit as standard yeah? Do we know if he was ever in the navy? What was his rank? Did he retire, or was he dishonourably discharged due to his rage issues?

It's a stupid question based off a stupid thing. But nerds often go deep into backstories/canon/reasons for little things in characters costumes, and there is no nerd like a Disney nerd.

"... Donald Duck holds a special place in animation history as the only Disney character to have officially served his country and been recognized for that service. ..."

8one6
May 20, 2012

youknowthatoneguy posted:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August kind of deals with this, only they are different kind of immortals, basically living their lives over and over again. Most of them forget how many lifetimes they have lived after a while, but a very rare few remember every single thing with perfect clarity. And some of them get so sick of remembering all the poo poo they did that they erase their memories and start the cycle over again.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is loving fantastic and you all should read it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Corky Romano is almost funny when it's not painfully boring.

Well maybe not almost.

The single funny thing in the movie is when the mob guy filling in at the vet clinic just tosses the dead mouse and replaces it with a new one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Project: Weaponize Dinosaurs makes no goddamn sense at all. It would combine all the worst aspects of using animals in warfare with all the worst aspects of using the most expensive and fragile equipment all for a weapon system that's less effective than just shooting people or a predator drone. It would be more effective to dump a C-130's worth of thumb tacks or banana peels over a combat zone.

gently caress, you could air drop grizzlys wearing body armor over an area and they'd at least be cheaper than loving dinosaurs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Has joker ever gotten his hands on a green lantern ring? I suppose an unimaginitive writer would just stick to giant cards,mallets and wind up teeth.

Isn't that just Emperor Joker (but green)?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

The bike is some piece of poo poo he bought of ali and the brakes actively need to be powered to be disengaged, without power they lock down. There.

That's basically how the failsafe brakes on modern trains operate.

8one6
May 20, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Did American phone books not have every adult person listed regardless of whether they owned the phone or not?

No. They only listed people with accounts with the phone company. A lot of the time it would be "Bob and Martha Wayne" because it's the home phone so they put both people's names on the account when they set it up but the phone book wasn't just a register of the names and addresses of every adult in town. It used to be an extra monthly charge to be un-listed in the phone book.

Looking back it's kind of insane that a book so goddamn useful for stalking people was just delivered for free to your house twice a year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Quote is not edit

8one6
May 20, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All the people I know who read Three Body Problem when it first came out had two reactions:

1) 'Wow, a SF book out of China. It's really different from Western works in how it treats everything.'

2) Several months later - 'It's bad.'

The best single sentence summary of the Three-Body Problem I've ever read was "The book's not about the interesting part."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Pretty much everything we've been broadcasting for the last hundred years decays into background noise before it even reaches our closest neighbors.
https://www.quora.com/How-far-do-radio-signals-travel-into-space-before-they-degrade-to-a-degree-beyond-being-possible-to-be-detected

8one6
May 20, 2012

FFT posted:

Oh yeah? What if we get the sun to amplify it, smart guy?

unrelated: lmao at a quora link

It sucks but I couldn't find the better article I read a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

CJacobs posted:

If he poops while running does the turd just stay stationary in the air or does it follow him? I realize this is not the most scientific question.

It's like if your have cursor trails turned on.

But with poop.