Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mng posted:

Just thought of another thing that I have only recently picked up on: ADR, additional dialogue recording. The shoot gets a crappy sound or they can't re-shoot for one reason or another (budget/line changes) and they wind up doing ADR in post-production.

I had exactly that complaint with Bane in Batman. Every time there was an outdoor shot or anything with a lot of background noise his voice suddenly turned into "tired old man in a recording studio". It was so obviously overdubbed that it threw me right out of the movie and made me focus on how lovely his voice was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TaurusTorus posted:

You can totally fight holding the blade of the sword, its called the Mordhau, which translates as the metal as hell MURDER STROKE:black101:

Well, I just discovered where they got the name of Dethklok's home in Metalocalypse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Squalitude posted:

That is almost painful to watch without the laugh track...

It was pretty painfull all round really :( I pretend they never came back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I hate to touch the poop here, but I've got one for Return of the Jedi.

In the big fight scene at the end of the movie, the rebellion destroys the giant star destroyer and the death star and then we cut to the planet for celebrations and singing loving ewoks. But what about the couple of hundred other star destroyers they were fighting?

"At that close range, we won't last long against those Star Destroyers!"

Well, apparently he was wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Byzantine posted:

Like jet fighters getting in to about 5 feet from the enemy.

Every director who watched the original King Kong swatting biplanes out of the sky from on top of the Empire State building has wanted to remake that scene ever since. Of course, the original movie is over 80 years old and planes don't have to do that poo poo any more.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shai-Hulud posted:

the desperate attempt to turn loving Shia LaBeouf into an action hero

I don't know who decided Shia LaBeouf was action hero material, but I really hope they lost their jobs. I still put him being cast as a motorcycle-riding greaser we're supposed to view as cool and tough as the least believable thing in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Yes, even less believable than the nuclear fridge ride.

But to bring it back to Transformers 2. Shia starts the movie driving a silent giant robot around while attending college. I guess he's saving a shitload on petrol and vehicle registration :shrug: When asked to help save the world by teaming up with more giant robots and be rich and famous and have beautiful women suck his dick he decides that, no, it makes more sense to act all pissy about the end of the world getting in the way of his freshman year.

Then he almost gets raped by a smaller robot because the transformers can perfectly imitate humans now, apparently.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

NarkyBark posted:

When characters put their names into normal conversation, when in real life it would be very awkward to do so. This also applies to describing what the character does or is doing. I know it's for the benefit of the viewer, but it irrationally irritates me.

No, that's a perfectly normal way to talk, Morty.

http://vimeo.com/92015365

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bill Dungsroman posted:

You would have to be completely deaf not to hear a spinning centrifuge, not to mention you would feel it moving when you went to open it.

There are no plausible excuses for anyone working in a lab to blindly open a running centrifuge and jam their hand into it.

I don't know about your fancy big time movie epidemiologists, but I know more than one biochemist who will happily slow down a low speed centrifuge by reaching into it and pressing down on the centre of the rotor with his finger.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just saw Thor 2. Way back in the first one Thor comes to Earth and is confused by modern things like cars and computers. Then when we see his home it's full of modern technology even more advanced than what we have.

Okay this segues directly into something that always bugs me - super advance civilisations that look like primitive ones. The Asgardians have all this super tech but hide it behind a seemingly primitive facade.

It's like a race where steampunk won.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
People can't relate to a Peter Parker who's married therefore we will make it so that he sells his marriage to not-Satan in order to help his aunt who got shot and cannot be healed by anyone in the entire world - not even Doctor Steven Strange or Reed Richards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MorgaineDax posted:

Pretty sure I got that beat. First time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring, I did not clue in until the death at the end that Boromir and Aragorn were two different people. :downs:

When I read the book as a kid, I got sick of all learning all the stupid made-up names and just sort of read over them. This led me to thinking Sauron and Saruman were the same person and wondering why everyone was so surprised that the White wizard turned out to be evil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So Lord Of The Rings flew over his head but Zardoz didn't?

Well, it might just be that he didn't want to do it and was trying to be polite. After all, the Matrix script must have looked like just another lovely action movie and, as for Lord of the Rings, would you move halfway around the world and spend years working for a director whose previous magnum opus was Brain Dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-wD42myVVk&t=158s

Context, a man's zombie mother has sex with a zombie priest while incarcerated in his basement and gives birth to a zombie baby. Naturally the man decides the best thing to do is take the zombie baby to the park.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Wamdoodle posted:

Dead Alive/Brain Dead is art and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

http://youtu.be/qFhs5LCNTFY

No arguments here. But if you were Sean Connery would you have moved ten thousand miles to spend years working for Peter Jackson on a three movie deal?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

50 Foot Ant posted:

The New Godzilla.

The move promised us two things:

1) Godzilla.
2) Bryan Cranston

Godzilla was only on screen for 8 minutes and Cranston for 13 minutes.

Every second G was on screen in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsnZ4bYIjs

I did enjoy the movie, but really wish it had focused on Cranston instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Better or worse dracula than the one in Van Helsing?

There will never be a better Dracula than the one in Van Helsing :colbert:

I have no emotions and that makes me so saaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

muscles like this? posted:

The main character of the novel Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk mentions at one point that he'd be fine with being killed by a zombie, vampire or whatever because then he would know that the supernatural exists.

I always thought the same thing about being offered a deal from the devil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I hated his voice so much. Here's a big, buff dude and he sounds like someone in his 70s.

Also, the times they had to overdub him were so painfully obvious, at least a the theatre I saw it at. One moment he's mumbling away like a crazy old homeless man with his head in a bucket and the next he's crystal clear like he's standing in a sound booth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was talking with a friend about Guardians of the Galaxy earlier and was reminded of one thing that's always bugged me in sci fi. The team is thrown in jail by an extremely advanced race who are pretty much 'the good guys' by any measure. But their prison system is something out of the loving dark ages.

It's like a nightmare version of a prison out of a Republican's wet dream rather than what you'd expect from an interstellar empire of peace and plenty.

I know it's done for drama and to show how badass everyone is as they face off against rapists and murders and so on. But it's just lazy.

Just once I'd like to see, "Okay Mr Star Lord, here's your three room suite, lights off whenever you feel like and the prison masseuse will be around shortly to help you with any tension you're feeling. Someone will be around later to take your request for dinner."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Could be worse. CSI:Miami (at least) has instead had:

There's one I remember from way back in my childhood, when Murder She Wrote was first on and I was like 12 or so. There was a death at a circus and the old lady who "solved" the mysteries each week forced a confession out of a man by locking him in a cage and threatened to release a savage lion in with him.

Even as a kid, I realised there was no way that confession would ever stand up in court.

Which brings me to the next step in this parade - cops/lawyers getting confessions which will never result in a conviction. Threatening the family or friends of suspects, "Gee, it would be terrible if we had INS down at your children's school every day checking them for green cards"

Or the one where the cops have absolutely no evidence, but trick a confession out of someone with no lawyer present after hours of questioning.

Or every single time someone asking for their lawyer is code for the audience to believe they are guilty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pilchenstein posted:

See also the thing where they just cannot ever bring themselves to say "the murderer was this guy we just learned about" - it has to be someone the audience has seen before, however briefly.

:words: There's an absolutely amazing episode of Castle :words:

Speaking of Castle, it was almost an unwritten rule for that show that the killer would be the third person they spoke to. Not questioned, not suspected. Just talked to.

So, if they were at a crime scene and spoke to the doorman with a criminal past, he would be innocent. If they went to the apartment and spoke to the victim's ex-wife who was covered in blood and had earlier threatened to kill the victim, she would be innocent. If her assistant came up to them for two seconds, said hello and left? Bingo, guilty.

They could end up talking to a dozen or more people in the course of their investigation, but it was so very often the third one that goons in the TVIV thread would 'call' the murderer five minutes into the show and really annoy certain people.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Dec 23, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And by "negotiate" we mean fund, arm and train.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And no one was living in massive houses or apartments. It was all rundown, small and exactly what you'd expect.

I hate movies where you see someone like a waitress go home to a huge ten bedroom apartment with tonnes of furniture and stuff everywhere. It's one of the things where all I can think is just how out of touch the makers of the movie must be to think normal people live like that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like...wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have stakes that looked more like a dagger? With a cross-guard that can be pushed against? You would still need to push really loving hard, and I'm guessing the success rate would be pretty low before the vampire killed you, but you'd at least have a shot compared to a traditional stake with no cross-guard.

The only time I've seen this addressed is in the first Dusk till Dawn. When describing the vampires, one of the characters actually mentioned that they have really soft bodies, and how weird that is.

The 1998 BBC show Ultraviolet (with Idris Elba!) had a brilliant way around this with their church-sanctioned vampire killing squad. Their pistols fired bullets with hardened charcoal inside them.

They also had small cameras and monitors mounted on all their weapons. If you could see someone with your eyes but not in the screen of your gun - you shot them.

Sadly I could only find this tiny image of it:

Gritty British drama, but with vampires :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I am so jealous of all of you, getting to see this for the first time. Gonna go find it and rewatch it again myself, now.

The 90s were a such great time for British shows. They were so goddamn dark and gritty it was like watching TV while rubbing sandpaper over your eyes.

It's a cop drama. A politics drama. A love story. A betrayal story. All done in a way no one except the Brits could do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I won't be. I'll be laughing so hard I'll probably puke.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What I never understood about Big Hero 6 is why Hiro never made another telepathic headband to override his original one that the bad guy stole.

Also, that his submission to 'nerd school' was a world changing invention which he had already fully developed and built - just to get a place in college while all the other projects we saw were still in early design phase.

And there was no reason for the bad guy to steal the invention, cause the explosion and kill Hiro's brother. He could have just waited for Hiro to work out the kinks, copied the blueprints under guise of being the headmaster of the school and reclaimed the Sparrow machine at his leisure.

Also, "hypersleep". What a copout. I knew it was coming a mile away, but it would have made so much more sense for time to simply not pass in teleportation land or have the lost pod "stored in the memory buffers" of the stargate, like in that one episode of Stargate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Slime posted:

A two-way Mexican standoff generally works by having the first shooter win the immediate standoff but lose in another way. Maybe they can't afford to actually kill eachother, or maybe there's be repercussions if one of them gets shot, or maybe they just plain don't really want to kill anyone but are forced into such a situation anyway.

Like one's a cop and the other's a kidnapper who has someone hidden away. If the cop shoots, the victim will die. But he still isn't going to just stand there and take a bullet to the face.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ignite Memories posted:

I feel like a crazy person whenever I watch the new batman movies with other people, because everyone else loves them so much. I feel like they're all just so bad. Christian bale especially is a horrendous batman. Heath ledger clearly got to have some fun with his performance but everything else really rubs me the wrong way.

People talk about how cool the batman vs bane fight was, and i'm like, were we watching the same movie?

I'm so glad people are saying this now, because I often feel like I'm the only person who was utterly underwhelmed by the trilogy. I don't think they're bad, just meh.

Bale's Batman was lovely and his gravelly voice is only second behind Bane's for the worst voice I've heard in a movie in the last twenty years (Bane sounds older than Christopher Lee, but has none of the gravitas). The plots were as stupid as they were forgettable.

Mr E posted:

I thought the choreography in the films was terrible and really only liked a tiny bit of the dialogue in the trilogy. Keaton films 4 life.

Keaton was the only time I've believed a man would dress up as a bat and fight crime because he pulled off the entire "under this mask, I am loving insane" so drat well.

Even when he's Bruce Wayne there's something in his eyes that shouts out that there's something just not right with him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, yeah, there is that, but I think they could have created a version of the character with the rings that wasn't incredibly racist.

Maybe I give them too much credit.

They should have taken a page out of DC's treatment of villains from Asia.

Yep, classy.

:ughh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In Age of Ultro,n did I completely misunderstand it when they were examining the gem from Loki's staff and said it contained an AI?

Byzantine posted:

Well, technically, the myths are mostly entertainment stories. It's like taking Family Guy's Jesus as representative of that religion.

It's more like taking the story where Jesus turns water into wine at that party and continuing it with what happened for the rest of the night after the strippers turned up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gaunab posted:

She-Hulk would be a better character to get her own movie since she would have a bigger effect on the movie universe as a whole plus they could make it part courtroom comedy and I'd get to watch people get pissed off because of it.

I dream of a world in which not only is a She Hulk movie made, it's also a compelling courtroom drama on the level of A Few Good Men.

Imagine the famous "You can't handle the truth!" scene, but with a nine foot tall green woman wearing spandex.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Zaphod42 posted:

Even worse is when some character talks a bit and then walks off, and there's some parting shot line and its clear that was overdubbed in later and the character didn't actually say anything while they walked away.

Duke's not dead!

Damned if I can find the clip of it, but the old GI Joe movie killed Duke, but the company changed its mind so there's this hilariously blatant voiceover right at the end with someone shouting "Duke's woken up and he's gonna be okay!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Light Gun Man posted:

Was it Robotech or something where they'd blow the poo poo out of planes and have some offscreen voice be like "I can see their parachutes!"?

Robotech was stone cold. Japanese cartoons didn't blink when it came to blowing people away. I remember one scene where the hero blows down a door in an enemy spacecraft and you see the guy on the other side consumed in flames and just evaporate away.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCATBVDGgY

Robotech was the hot poo poo when I was a kid. It was crazy to start a Saturday morning going from lame old stuff like Wacky Races to Robotech and then back to some other tame US cartoon.

Even the original Astroboy didn't shy away from killing people when they had to, even the good guys could get killed - which was pretty much unheard of. One episode had two robots falling in love, but human bigotry said it was unnatural because robots aren't people. It ended with the two of them tied together and set on fire by a crazed mob. But they melted together into one and their internal clocks ("heart beats") became as one.

So here's my irritating moment - TV shows and movies which don't give kids enough credit and instead patronise them with poo poo like "I can see their parachutes". Kids aren't stupid, they understand bad guys kill people - it's why they're bad people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kramdar posted:

Here's what I was talking about in Jurassic Park. I imagined a phone shown off the hook. But this isn't too irrational.

When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm, he had shotgun shells that just contained a single, large metal slug he used for killing large :airquote:pests:airquote:, like saltwater crocs and razorbacks*.

I'm guessing they'd work a treat on dinosaurs too, given the loving mess they made out of boars.

*And camels and stray dogs and everything else on his property that didn't pay its way. The 70s were a very different time.

EDIT: Like this:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Hundreds of thousands of the bastards, too.

EDIT: When the Saudis want a top camel to race, they use Australian camels :boonie:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Here's my irrational hatred for Game of Thrones - How a show got so popular when all it seems to be is rape.

I saw a link* where someone had helpfully gone and counted all of the rapes:

quote:

Rape acts in Game of Thrones the TV series (to date): 50

Rape victims in Game of Thrones (to date): 29

Rape acts in ASOIAF the book series (to date): 214

Rape victims in ASOIAF (to date): 117

Surprised there's any time for dragons :shrug:

* Also, the author of that article has no goddamn clue what "statistical analysis" means.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jun 15, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I remembered an old moment that really bugged me when it came out - Karate Kid 2.

So Scott Bao or whoever goes to Japan with Mr Miyagi and gets into a tussle with some local thugs. At one point, the thugs are buying vegetables off some local farmers because they're just that loving hard. But one of the weights on their scale breaks and it turns out it was made of plaster rather than metal.

Oh no, they are ripping off the farmers! How evil.

But the thugs were the ones buying, so using light weights mean the sales would show the produce as being heavier than it was, mean they would be paying out more money to the farmers. They were ripping themselves off :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
His autobiography is also an awesomely entertaining read.

He always gives off a sense of fun and craziness and immense likability.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Supreme Allah posted:

Correction: Chozen wasn't buying the vegetables, he was selling them, it was his land (his uncles land) so the villagers would pick then go to him to pay for what they have taken. That's why he had light weights, to have the villagers think they were buying more than they actually were.

I always thought he was buying them from the villagers. That's why I was so confused. I saw the villagers going to him with the produce, but didn't realise that's what the arrangement was.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Everything must be pulled out of wounds immediately!

Doesn't matter if it will cause the person to bleed to death in a few seconds, pull it out now!