Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I didn't find the galadriel scene scary as much as painfully awkward. It goes on just a touch too long.

It also suffers from the 'will the audience get it?' dialog. Doesn't she say something like: 'I passed the test!' at the end? You know, just in case we couldn't get what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Squalitude posted:

Watching Home Alone, near the start of the film after the cabs arrive they show everyone in the house rushing around, then cut to one of the drivers talking to some dumb neighbourhood kid, then they cut back to the family rushing around and use the same clip they already used. Shameful.

I think it was Anaconda where they had to show the boat leaving an area so they just reversed the footage. Noticeable due to the waterfall in the shot shooting up from the bottom.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

"He whose heart is pure may have the dagger. And he whose rear end is narrow may fit through these steps. And if mine is such an rear end, then I will have it."

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll add the original Bad News Bears to the list, even though that's a stretch and it's not really a twist so much as a subversion of expectations. In any other movie like this, the underdog team always wins but Kelly Leak is tagged out at home to end the game vs the hated Yankees and nobody expected that.

That's still not a twist, I think. A twist is a change in the original premise. "The Bears try to win a game, will they?" is the premise. A twist might be: "The Bears were intentionally trying to lose all along!"

Same thing with "Who murdered the victim?" It doesn't matter who it was, if that premise is still intact, it's not a twist. A twist would be: "The victim is not dead."

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That was our only complaint about the Green Knight. I don't know if it was our old theater, or the actual mix, but the dialog was near inaudible half the time.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Demons never seem grateful to the person who summons them. It's always just some snide comment and then they murder them. Why don't they put that part in the summoning books? "by the way, the demon is kind of a jerk and will probably kill you"

The Bartimaeus books get this right, iirc. The demons are listed with a level of difficulty, and danger level if you gently caress up your rune circle.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Akwafina's a genius. And her vagina is 50x better than a penis.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun thing, the bartender in London is the actor who portrays pre-serum Cap with the face replaced.

My IIMM was that the pre-serum Cap has exactly the same deep, manly voice that he does post-serum. It should have been an obvious choice to give him a weak high-pitched voice when he was a twerp. But he already sounds like he's a 240lb he-hunk of man meat.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My only IIMM from Last Action Hero is that they hamfisted the 'I'll be back' line joke. It comes out of nowhere, and Arnold is like 'Ha! I bet you didn't guess I'd say that!'

Other than that, I freakin' loved that movie and have probably seen it 30 times.

edit: well poo poo, now I'm going to go listen to the soundtrack

lord funk has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Sep 28, 2022

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

In case you want new Last Action Hero Lore...https://www.filmreroll.com/?p=460 Warning: terrible Arnie impressions abound.
EDIT: The Film Reroll is an (heavily edited, thank god) actual play rpg podcast. They take a movie and have the players take the roles of different characters in it; the game starts at the start of the movie, but can deviate massively based on player decision or dice rolls.

Heck yeah, I forgot about Film Reroll! Checking it out.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

That is irrational, because it was deliberate. Have you forgotten the follow-up where the kid says "You always say that!"?

Yeah yeah, I know. But in that scene, he just kind of turns around at the front door of the mansion, and is like 'I'm going to the car... I'll be back' Like, why? You were both leaving! Why would you come back? It's a good joke that could have had a better moment to deliver. So that's my IIMM.

Report: the soundtrack still kicks so much rear end. What the Hell Have I is still my favorite Alice in Chains song, and I realize now I've had it stuck in my head since 1993.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Breetai posted:

See also the Phillip K Dick anthology series Electric Dreams where each episode was an adaptation of one of his short stories, and by adaptation I mean anything from "we needlessly and senselessly changed the ending to make it worse" to "we kept the title".

What is it with sci-fi adaptations that make them do this? Especially with PKD, the ending is the justification for the entire story so much of the time. Do they think that fans will be disappointed if they know the ending already?

I think one of the worst offenders of this is Minority Report. The whole point from the story is that the pre-cognition system works, and in order to prevent it from being shut down, our hero chooses to fulfill the prophecy and commit the murder but that is all stripped away for *insert generic conspiracy here*.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I liked the weird supernatural-ish stuff in it, but I wish there was either waaay more of it, or none at all and it leaned into just a period drama. I kept wishing it would get weird and stay that way.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

credburn posted:

This feels like they don't know that Gremlins 2 was intentionally a silly movie.

It feels like they know exactly how intentionally silly it was. Also, Jordan Peele deserves an oscar for his performance as Star Magic Jackson, Jr.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I kinda want The Twoman Show now.

When I saw it in the theater, I was massively disappointed that we didn't see any of Truman entering real-world. I genuinely thought there was going to be another half hour of the movie, and then the credits started to roll.

Now, I think it's one of the biggest strengths of the movie. Leaving it open gives the viewer a long lasting thought excersize about what happens afterwards. (In my mind, he would be absolutely swamped with fans, and have a misearable life. How many thousands of people would book tickets to Fiji just to try and see him reunite with his girlfriend?)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I watched Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planeta on a plane with no audio, so I had to read subtitles to figure out what was happening. I was also drinking a lot of Jack & Cokes at the same time.

The movie sucked, but I believe that was the best way to watch that film.

I did this with some Hunger Games / Logan's Run ripoff movie once, only there were no subtitles; I just inserted my own YA dialog. Then I found some headphones and plugged them in, but the actual movie dialog was so bad I went back to watching it without sound.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

I absolutely hate the movie Hannibal.

I just finished the first book. The Hannibal TV series was too over-the-top for me, and I wanted to check out the source material. The series was just so... cartoonishly improbable. Oh yes, I'm sure that overnight the killer created an art installation that would have taken a team of grad students a week of install time.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ehh, Peppa Pig is also broadcast on regular old TV there, so I'd take that article with a grain of salt.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Bookpilled is a dude that reviews almost exclusively sci-fi books, and he hated Three Body Problem. I don't think I've seen him this worked up about any other book (maybe The Sparrow?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNdNZBVtF4

I go through his top 15 list pretty regularly and he always has good recommendations, if you're looking for something to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Phanatic posted:

I am irrationally irritated that a Top 15 list is a 32-minute long video.

2 mins per book is too long for you? He doesn't even have useless intros to any of his videos.