Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

Data's entire "I wanna be human" shtick was irritating. It makes sense for an actual robot. But he was already a sapient being. Him wanting to be human was like an alien wanting to be human. As if his own "species" wasn't good enough. That dude was basically an android racist.

"Human" was really shorthand for "biological." He was mostly around humans, created by a human,etc. He probably would have been just as happy wanting to be bejoran or betazoid, but the audience relates to "human".

LeJackal posted:

StarTrek.txt

It's annoying when Vulcans say "that is a human emotion (dumbass)" to someone like Phlox who isn't loving human at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

I just marathoned Arrow's first season. At one point Oliver's best friend and business partner learns his identity. The cops bust his nightclub, which doubles as a front for his hideout. When they enter the door with the numeric keypad that leads to his gear and computer network, everything is replaced with boxes of wine. Oliver just left that room and no less than ten minutes passed before the cops arrived. How did that just happen? Did his best friend push all the computer hardware and neatly-racked arrows into the boxes? He couldn't get the construction guys to do it otherwise they'd know his secret.

I think it's worth watching this one minute video to catch just a glimpse of how low-budget superhero lairs operate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

There's two languages, English and not-English and thats the way i like it.

You like that there's non-english? :raise:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You aren't cool enough to hate fun things, are you?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

It's not as bad as the scene that it reminded me from Dredd, where Ma-Ma uses three crazy rear end armor-piercing chain guns to level the entire half of the floor that Dredd and Anderson are trapped on. Even though they show the bullets just tearing through every single wall on the floor, for like a good minute Dredd is just outrunning the path of destruction, even though its been shown that its not some sort of sleep, but just full on, flat out annihilation of everything in the guns' path.

I get what you're saying in general, but It seemed in that scene that the bullets didn't go through twenty concrete walls all at once, but rather had to take time to penetrate through all the rooms and hallways and children that were in the way, slowly grinding though, and it's conceivable that Dredd could get behind walls faster than the guns could carve through them since they weren't really concentrating fire. I guess. But yeah.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I wondered how they knew that jumping through the hole in the wall wouldn't end up with them falling to their deaths but then I thought "whatever, he probably knows the entire layout of the building because he's Dredd".

It's not like he doesn't take crazy risks all the time.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

One thing I did notice though is that at the beginning, the second in command guy tells Ma Ma that the judges have captured Kay and they're on level 25 (or whatever), but we know Ma Ma is at the top of the building so how does the guy tell Ma Ma about this, get down to the control room, take it out and activate the lockdown before the lift with Dredd in has gone a 10th of the distance?

Well it's the future so :shrug:

I liked The Stallone movie more.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the new Godzilla was good, and for a lot of the same reasons that others hated it.

I agree that the casting/writing for the human viewpoint character was the weakest thing about the movie, but I completely disagree that having it in human viewpoint instead of eye-in-the-sky monster-cam for most of the movie was a bad thing.

The anticipation of seeing Godzilla in action was great. There was no Godzilla fatigue, they teased us, showed us a little, then snatched it away. The big fight was just short enough (and awesome enough) to make us want to see more. Finishing a movie and wanting to see more of that same thing RIGHT NOW is a success from a movie making standpoint. I'm sure the sequel will probably have Godzilla on the screen for 50+% of the movie like all the Michael Bay fans wanted and it will be terrible like they deserve.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid as it may be, it was an explained plot point that Soong intentionally made Data "roboty" and autistic. He cannot say contractions because he was made that way. Not understanding idioms is like the unrealistic skin and eyes - Soong could do all those things, and did, just not with Data.

Don't get me started with B4.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

The best thing about that is that Soong was apparently such an incredible genius that he was the only one who could figure out how to create a sentient android and no one else ever managed to replicate it, then the Enterprise crew discover that all you actually need to do is tell the holodeck computer to make one and it just will, but no one seems to realise how significant that is or follow up on it at all. Sure, Moriarty couldn't leave the holodeck, but since replicators exist you'd think it would be relatively straight-forward to basically manufacture sentient robots. Or even living people if you wanted.

Moriarty's brain was the enterprise computer, though, which is bigger than my house. Take a look at a schematic of the Enterprise-D, if you feel like being a huge nerd, and see that the computer core is like ten decks tall or something. That data's brain fits into a human-sized head is what's amazing about him, not that he's an AI.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

But wasn't Moriarty transferred entirely into that little cube that Picard leaves on his desk and forgets about? Also, I'm pretty sure that Vic Fontaine from DS9 was sentient as well and contained entirely within one of Quark's holosuites. And the emergency medical holograms seem to either be sentient or become sentient if left running long enough. I'm not sure if they're part of the main computer or not though.

the cube wasn't completely explained. It could have still been running off the enterprise computer, but it may have been self-contained. Perhaps once he was created, it took less power to keep him going?

It's not clear what Vic was, either, but Quarks' holosuites were linked to the whole station's computer and once held the minds of several crewmembers who got lost in the transporter buffer.

The Doctor's program got so big that they had to delete/overwrite the other major hologram in the computer to contain him, and Voyager surely represented a leap in computer power compared to the Ent-D what with the BIONEURALGELPACKS and all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Memories I have before age 8:

Berlin wall falling on my 5th birthday
First day of school
The events of this GIF

I was so excited to be watching TNG and in that episode the critter they were carrying around was in the same TRAPPER KEEPER thing that I had for school that year! It was so exciting and awesome and then BOOM exploding guy and bloody chest cavity

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

I'm irrationally irritated when they do occasionally have those things, because they've already established that we're not supposed to loving worry about it and just enjoy the heroes doing things, but then occasionally it matters because mediocre writing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Bishop posted:

a quadrillion Qs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

was that alien going to eat that cat? :o

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anosmoman posted:

]
Anyway I just watched Lucy. Don't. This thing with humans only using 10% of their brains really needs to stop. No, evolution didn't give us a giant brain we hardly use.

That plot device was stupid but I knew that going into it. The movie was bad for entirely different reasons. The things that looked cool in the trailer were in the movie for about the same amount of time and the rest of it was horseshit. It is a bad movie.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The music in the trailer was chilling and moving to a nostalgic old fan of the first movie, so blah blah hollywood moneygrab Imma see it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mans posted:

That and detectives suddenly acting as SWAT operatives.

But they still only use their service pistol, always lead the charge into a suspect's house and they never any kind of armor other than a simple vest.

CSIs breaking down doors with a pistol while uniformed and sometimes SWAT geared guys wait to see if the coast is clear.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
13th Warrior did the language transition thing really well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Interrupting Cop Show talk for more Hobbit talk sorry.

The thing I really didn't like about the third film was the fact that things just disappear. The Arkenstone? The White Crystal Elf poo poo? The gigantic treasure horde? That black haired greasy dude? After a certain point they just stop mattering and disappear from the movie for WOO ORC FIGHTS. Hell, even the giant worms the orcs rode in on, which would have been perfect for getting into the mountain and loving poo poo up in general are forgotten about once they all come out of the tunnels.

Also the scene where Legolas is jumping off the falling bricks was a QTE with no prompts.

I hear you.

Peter Jackson has become George Lucas. It's sad. At least there is still the nearly perfect 1977 Hobbit to watch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This irritates me. Irrational? I'm not sure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

You say that but the rare element in Avatar is called Unobtainium might as well have called it That'dbehandyium

Well, that is different because unobtanium is a term used for impossible to find poo poo outside of that movie. Like, the nerds in the world might have been calling it that, so it's not exactly unrealistic, but it does sort of jump out at you so it probably would have been better left out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: I Never Noticed It Before And Now I Can't Stop Noticing It

Pig squeal from Warcraft 2 and kids laughing from Diddy Kong Racing :tizzy:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The bible must be such a let-down in Mexico

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Meh. It took me out of the movie.

Chances are there are at least two of them. There was part of one in Stark's lab in Iron Man 2 while Cap's was in the ice. He picked up a spare and they retrieved the other one later.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Raider posted:

re: Chappie

As someone who hasn't seen so much as a screenshot, much less a trailer of this movie, I feel like someone's going to have to tell me why I shouldn't run out and see this movie right the gently caress now.

Because it wasn't very good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, at the beginning of Jurassic Park Sam Neill is explaining to a skeptical group of people his reasoning for postulating that dinosaurs have more in common with modern birds than with reptiles. He goes through two or three examples, one of them being the pubic bone turned backward, and then he ends with "Even the word 'raptor' means 'bird of prey'" which makes NO loving sense. Human beings decided to name that species of dinosaur "raptor" how the hell would that prove that they're related to birds?

They were introducing Velociraptors to the audience. Everyone knew what a T-Rex was, and a stegosaurus and a triceratops and a brontosaurus brachio- veggie-saurus were, but raptors were both new to most viewers and the big bads of the movie. It wasn't scientifically accurate, but it was good storytelling.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What the hell did I just watch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's kind of dumb, but it was exciting, and it was fairly well explained.

There was only one OK signal ever sent and some property of the planet/black hole made it echo/seem to repeat over and over so they thought the place was OK.

The waves were so far away they were nearly over the horizon in all directions when the lander went down, and it's not like the ship had Star Trek scanners and computers to figure out weird poo poo that no one had ever seen before. The time dilation made them move like one billimeter a day and they seemed like stationary objects from outside the gravity well.

They went down to the all-water planet because their previous scientist was (they thought) still down there pushing the OK button.

The mission was not supposed to take as long as it did - it was supposed to be in and out, grab and go, but they went surfing and had to dry the engines and that's what made it take so long - they knew there would be time dilation, they just didn't expect to be there that long.

Now, the lander escaping that gravity well implies some supertech they never really explained, but Prof Alfred was working on a gravity drive, so who knows - there might be a barely plausible explanation, but not mentioning it on camera even offhand is problematic, to be sure.

That is a legit complaint. Most of it does belong in this thread, though. irrationally irritating

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

If you want to split hairs then no, they were only dead and in purgatory the whole last season. But it's still funny that he ruled that out and then when their backs were against the wall to write an ending they had to say "well,uhhh, actually..."

Many of the characters didn't die at all until well after the events of the show. The "sideways" universe was sort of purgatory, but it was set way in the future after everyone that left with Frank and the survivors on the island presumably lived a full life, so they were only "dead" for some of the scenes in the last season, everything happening in the normal timeline still happened.

The producers said that the island wasn't purgatory and they weren't all dead on the island, and you'll notice that in the parts where they were dead, they never even went to the island.
....................:lost:
:goonsay:

I don't know how much was planned, but that show was better produced than almost anything ever on television and it was one hell of a ride.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poldarn posted:

Age of Ultron:

When Quicksilver dies the bullets that came out of that gun should have exploded him like a balloon full of red paint. Instead he's got like three tiny holes in his chest.

Well, you see he was using his powers and the bullets slowed down when they entered him due to silver streak relativity and unspecified powers Really, though we know practically nothing about how his powers work in this continuity.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm irrationally irritated that there aren't far more giant interconnected fun movie franchises like the MCU.

I'm excited to see Matt Tracker in the next GI Joe

Anyway, it's not like they make superhero movies instead of some Oscar Bait pieces of Fine Cinema.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Still watching S.H.I.E.L.D. and it's the train episode and Skye ask If an 0-84 was ever a person and Fitz says he doesn't know. Well wouldn't the Hulk be one?

I thought that was for alien artifacts not just scary things

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Taking a strong stand there, bravely coming out against evil.

It's hard out there for a conservative brony

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

It's whoever's worthy of being Thor, not whoever's the best person. I bet the real reason Cap can't just pick the thing up is that he's too nice and can't get drunk.

Yeah, this basically.

Worthy in an Asgardian sense - honor and fighty and revelry and valhalla and all that stuff. The Vision was made worthy.....by the cape. (in that moment he assimilated some thor-ness)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was not disappointed by the ending of LOST and my irrationally irritating thing is all the people constantly giving it poo poo. What did you want to happen?

I think what irritates me the most is that people keep saying that the showrunners insisted that the island wasn't purgatory and they weren't dead, and then at the end they were. Well, the island wasn't purgatory, and they weren't dead after the crash. They died when we saw them die, except for the people who left on the plane with Frank, who presumably led long lives and died of old-age later, and Hurley and Ben (and Vincent) who stayed (alive) on the island until they gave the job to Walt. True that the sideways universe in the final season was a sort of afterlife/ between-places place, but the whole mysterious island really was a mysterious island and they really lived through all that stuff

The destination didn't really matter anyway. Sometimes it's just about the ride.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The monkeys scene in crystal skull was just terrible, mostly because of the visual quality. I don't understand why anyone thinks the fridge scene is any less ridiculous than the raft-out-of-the-plane scene or the giant-propeller-out-of-the-water scene. Survival of Insanely low probability scenarios is pretty much Indy's thing!

That being said, it was the weakest Indy movie and the ending was terrible and rushed, but that's not an irrational irritation, I don't think.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

that's like the point of movies

That is just really not true.

Subtext maybe is the point of some movies, or possibly of good movies, but it is not generally the point of movies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was rich. They played the evil tycoon card. Be happy those rich fucks are dead, cause they have money and they're assholes.

This, but 98% unironically

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

The followup point is that the kid is probably what 17? From most likely an upper middle class home in America. I doubt his family had a manual car.

They might have if they live where it ever snows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked Ep7 and think JJ got it right.

My one IIMM: Han and Chewie have been best buds like forever and in all sorts of scrapes and crazy adventures and Han has never fired Chewie's bowcaster?