Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Rust explains what it means in the same scene - it means history repeats itself. It's in the middle of a speech about him feeling like there is no point in being a detective since all the awful poo poo will happen again. The quote itself isn't profound but what it means to the character in that moment is well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

credburn posted:

I mean, I understand the idea of history repeating itself. I'm saying the visual of a "flat circle" is redundant and that makes me think there is something being articulated that I'm not getting.

Oh wow, when I say it aloud in that way, it does make sense!
Usually people think of time a line. But it's not a line, it's a flattened circle. I guess??? It was originally said by a cracked out psychopath, so it's not supposed to make too much sense.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

IIMM House of the Dragon style: I admit I am sick of the whole Disney thing where we don't get clear bad guys, but HOTD went full the other way, and made it very very clear we are supposed to pick the princess over the prince to rule: Rhaeynera is shown to have little faults, is super open minded and supportive of her gay husband, and her assault on Cole is played more for seduction instead of a power play/coercive sex. Even the servant killed to be Laenor's stand-in barely gets a second of time. Compared to Aegon who is a violent rapist (we get like 5 minutes of one of his victims crying), is for goddamn child fighting death matches, masturbates out a loving window, and is never seen interacting with his kids, and never interacts with his wife in any positive way at all.

Would have been so much better if there was less overt THIS MAN BAD THIS WOMAN GOOD poo poo. Cut the child death matches with his bastards, maybe show him as a kid being neglected by Viserys who keeps fawning over his oldest daughter instead, show R being nasty and cruel to her half-brothers.
Make it seem the threat of her executing them if she takes the throne an actual thing! Aegon didn't even want to be loving king, per the books, until his mother convinced him he would be killed if R took the crown.

Disagree on Rhaenyra being faultless, she is a bit of dumbass with endangering the realm by keeping having kids that are obviously not Laenor's. I think she has trouble seeing past her own wants. Aegon sucks rear end for sure, but the the conflict isn't Rhaenyra vs. Aegon, it's Black vs. Green. Who sits on the throne ultimately doesn't matter without a support structure. I think the show's sympathy is a little bit balanced on Rhaenyra's side, but it's still quite complicated with Daemon being a big wildcard as to what horrible poo poo he will get to, Alicent being a good person who is being controlled by his father, etc.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All the people I know who read Three Body Problem when it first came out had two reactions:

1) 'Wow, a SF book out of China. It's really different from Western works in how it treats everything.'

2) Several months later - 'It's bad.'
Spot on.