Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK. I need to know more about this strange stilt-fox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maned_wolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Meatwave posted:

Can anyone tell me why kangaroos are so ripped? I've been searching variations of "why are kanagroos so ripped?" and all it returns are hits on body building forums going "holy poo poo that kangaroo is jacked". My whole life I've never heard anything about kangaroos being ripped as hell but every picture I see of one lately the loving thing looks like its on steroids.

It's all about the ladies, apparently: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-24/research-shows-link-between-kangaroo-arm-muscles-and-their-fema/4840710

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

Naw, like...you pick up a little chick in your hand, it's peep-peep-peepin', and your little cousin asks to pet the biddy.

I have never heard it used with respect to chickens, only as a reference to a cranky old woman. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

Is that really a joke?

You haven't been to many duck parties, I take it. :colbert:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paladinus posted:

But what about aluminium?

Aluminium is an inferior metal found only in Britain.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chard posted:

I would be so completely about 80 proof orange creamsicle bars. gently caress Summer.

It would have a freezing point somewhere south of -10°F/-23°C (depending on sugar content), so it probably wouldn't be much fun to put in your mouth, let alone keep frozen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OK, I'm almost convinced to buy a Wii-U just for this game.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Perhaps the sign should be replaced with something clearer? It's in the funny picture thread because many people look at it and go "WTF does that mean?" Not a good property for a warning sign.

I suspect the sign would make a lot more sense at high tide.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RedTeam posted:

is this a thing people do? work on spreadsheets on a phone? how have all of these people not killed themselves from depression?

Somebody is going to invent a stand-alone computer designed to sit on a desk, with a large screen and separate keyboard. Smartphone users will be amazed at this new device and buy them by the millions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah. It's a camera setup with remote access operators to open/unlock the doors for people who are supposed to be there or managed to lock themselves out.

Apparently it's a company run out of florida via internet.

But what if I actually want a virtual door, man?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NuminaXLT posted:

Aren't most generics basically the same as their brand name but cheaper?

My wife worked for a food company, and stuff they'd sell under their own brand and stuff they sold to other companies as generics came off the exact same production line.

Ed: As to why they do it, it's all about economy of scale. They can make far more than what they can sell under their own brand. Making extra as generic reduces the unit cost, so they make more money on their own, as well as what they sell to the generic seller.

There tends not to be a lot of overlap between people who buy by brand and people who buy by price, so the company doesn't cannibalize it own sales much, and sells more and makes more money overall by supplying the generic market.

Deteriorata has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jul 19, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

coleman francis posted:

I would like to know whether that guy is a legit union worker or someone fox news put on to pretend to be one.

He's a legit union worker, but his schtick is largely an act.

http://www.thejoeligottishow.com/about.html

quote:

About Joe

Joe Ligotti is a tough talking, blue collar, card carrying Teamster and regular guy. What started his career in the media as an internet sensation was sending raw and edgy political You Tube video rants to his nephew, who at the time was serving in the United States Marine Corps in Iraq & Afghanistan. The videos went viral throughout the military and the internet. They got Joe recognized by Neil Cavuto a Fox News VP and personality. Joe has been a regular on Neil’s news program “Your World” and Fox Business “Bulls & Bears.” The national exposure landed Joe an appearance on the couch with Jay Leno on “The Tonight Show.”

Joe also has done work for local Fox affiliate Channel 25 and the popular nightly news magazine “Chronicle.” Joe has enjoyed his appearances especially on the very popular food program “Phantom Gourmet” of course as Joe proclaims, “He’s a professional fat guy!”

Joe opinions vary. His motto is “I’m not right, I’m not left, I’m just right! I think people put too many labels on themselves and ideas. Being a Republican or Democrat is never more important as being an AMERICAN first!”

Tune into Joe every Saturday to have a “Common Sense conversation” and remember Joe “LOVES to debate but it’s always without Hate!”

He's just another screaming opportunist cashing in on conservative paranoia.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That...tractor...clearly says New Holland. :colbert:

So the Dutch are infiltrating Wales and fomenting a separatist movement?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cmd-shift-3 for a full screen shot or cmd-shift-4 for a windowed shot has been standard for 30 years.

Sorry life is so tough for you Windows losers. :smug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rich Radbards posted:

Wait, what's funny about the soup?

"Soup du Jour" really pisses me off. Tastes completely different every time I order it. It's like they can't make it the same way two days in a row.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

You, my friend, sound like either a man who has never used a manual lawnmower, or some kind of superhuman monster.

That poo poo BLOWS.

Having used a manual mower, attaching it to a bicycle like that would only make it worse. Now, attaching it to a motorcycle like that and we're getting somewhere.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Florida is amazing, speaking as a Canadian. The key is to avoid Disney, Universal, and all that poo poo, and spend two days at KSC instead.

My kids loved this place:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

benito posted:

I was looking up the background of the name "Musselman" as found in the US. It's not a Muslim name but either a Swiss woodcutter or someone who fought Muslims. Anyway, this picture jumped out:

http://www.wikitree.com/photo/JPG/Henry_Musselman

I've worked with a lot of old photos, but I don't know if this is a bad scan, a poorly retouched photograph, or evidence that Voldemort was among us in the 1800s.

According to the linked biography, Henry Musselman died in 1834, aged 52, before photography was invented.

That looks like a water-damaged print of someone in his 80s from about 50 years later. :iiam:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

hawai'ian pizza is the best pizza and jones regular flavored sodas is absolutely amazing, never been to florida tho hth peace all

Well, I've never been to Spain. But I kinda like the music.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What were they shoveling in Miami?

Same old poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

In the permafrost, in like Sibera and poo poo, there exist perfectly preserved mammoth carcasses. Researchers have, at least once, cut out bits, and grilled them a mammoth steak. The permafrost kept the meat viable all this time.

Apparently as steak it's pretty bad. Since most of the mammoths didn't freeze immediately upon dying, much of their meat is actually rotten and not edible. A few people have found some in decent shape and grilled it up. No surprise that they thought it tasted like steak that had been left in the freezer too long.

Somebody cut some 30,000-year-old bison up for a stew a few years back, and deemed it acceptable for that purpose, anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

PYF Pet Peeve: People who quote Frost to say they took the road less travelled.

Frost loving says that both roads are the same, and there's no difference.

You are right superficially. Frost does say that neither road looked obviously superior to the other. The difference is in where they led.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Here's a pic of my dad when he was a baby.

My wife and I decided that when we have a baby, we're going to recreate the photo and try to get #RunsInTheFamily to trend on twitter. A couple of our friends have said that they'll do something with their kids, so we'll at least have a fun time.

#PissingofGoons

Your dad was a baby in 1985?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pentyne posted:

$1.50 is a loving ripoff for that zucchini.

Don Quijote is apparently a chain of groceries in Hawaii, which would explain the price.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It would have gone better, but you're just not a man with that kind of power. :(

Well, that's tough.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So easy that this redneck kid can do it!

:ssh: those aren't crossbows

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Istari posted:

I had to read that 4 times before my brain could parse it.

Some of the new cancer-fighting regimens are quite novel and effective.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nothing better than a steaming hot cup of garlic. :colbert:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

beato posted:

I didn't even think the US used the word pop to describe fizzy drinks, I thought it just meant old man over there.

I was under the impression that pop was just the British word for fizzy drinks and soda was the American word.

^^ For the record I'm British and loving love Dr Pepper :colbert:

"Pop" is used a lot in the northern midwest and northeast (Michigan to New York, roughly). Soft drinks were originally sold in bottles with cork stoppers and a metal bail. Remove the cork produced a pop, and they were known as pop bottles. Then metal capping was invented, but the name stuck.

Edit: Now with pictures!

Far left is the original pop bottle.

Deteriorata has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Nov 11, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you know Wisconsin people call drinking fountains "bubblers"? What the hell happened to that arctic hellscape of a state?

This is pretty fun: New York Times Regional Dialect Quiz

It does remarkably well at pinning down where you grew up, tempered by where your parents grew up, based on what you call things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I was born in Missouri and lived here my whole life as have my entire family, but this thing says I have a Bostonian dialect?

Perhaps you need to have an honest chat with your mother.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fizbin posted:

Around here it's called "Beggar's Night" and it's when the trick-or-treating actually happens(for safety, I guess?)

It's called "Devil's Night" in Detroit, which is a very specific regional thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Kitty-corner and kitty-wampus and all those are definitely real, but peenie wallie? Really?

Peenie wallie is apparently Jamaican patois. It must be an extremely localized term.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kajeesus posted:

I know it's irrational and all, but how on earth can you be afraid of a labrador? I don't think even Putin is physically capable of making a labrador hurt a person.

Maybe they're being irrational about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I can't believe Angela Merkel is afraid of dogs. She's so irrational. Maybe she should try not being afraid of dogs. :smug:

I would guess it's only Greek dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Douwe posted:

plz post more funny pictrz guys

This is hilarious.

• Locked thread